The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A captain's hundred

+3
kingjohn7
TJ
kiakahaaotearoa
7 posters

Go down

A captain's hundred  Empty A captain's hundred

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 22 Nov 2014, 12:07 pm

When I grew up, Canterbury handed over provincial supremacy seemingly overnight to Auckland. In that epic Ramfurly Shield match, Auckland grew into a juggernaut that would've toppled most test sides. Indeed, they were almost a test side and would dominate NZ rugby and test selections for an astonishing prolonged period.

As a Canterbury supporter used to success, this was a bitter pill to swallow. That Auckland team became vilified by the nature of its success. It wasn't their fault. They were not a side lacking in confidence but given their success that was entirely understandable as well as justifiable.

Their leader, Sean Fitzpatrick, seemed representative of the side. Complete with no obvious flaws and extremely annoying. In blue and white he was the devil's spawn.

In black, however, he was a rugby deity. That Auckland side lived off the pack that contained Olo Brown, Craig Dowd, Zinny and Michael Jones and the Whetton Brothers but it also had JK and Smoking Joe and when I was at school everyone wanted to emulate that run JK made against Italy.

I had nothing but respect for those players when they were in the NZ shirt but they were the enemy in blue and white. It taught me that perspective is crucial when assessing a player's worth and objectivity lies somewhere in between the polar opposites and it's not always easy to find that middle ground.

All great teams eventually come to an end. Teams like Waikato, Otago, Wellington and North Harbour tried valiantly to wrestle the crown off Auckland but Canterbury suffered one of its lowest points.

They were the unlikeliest of all rivals to get the better of Auckland but in Super rugby and through clever poaching of players from other regions, they would once again become a dominant force.

Unlike Auckland, this dominance wouldn't be reflected in the makeup of the national side. There were three special players in Daniel Carter, Kieran Read and Richie McCaw.

The last name mentioned is bringing up his 100th match as captain. BOD is next best with 84 and as captain McCaw has more wins than all of BOD's test as captain. Only Graeme Smith in cricket has captained a side more and even he has a lower strike rate.

As everything I write on here, I do not expect a response to this thread.

Nor do I want one as invariably I know what the response will be. I can fully understand that view of things. I do not expect fans to venerate McCaw. Believe it or not NZ fans do not need the affirmations of others or seek their respect. By all means vilify the player. I know I would knowing how many games he has influenced.

I do not care for this desire to label players as the best in the business. Rugby is a team game and the exploits are shared equally by the squad.

I only wish to honour McCaw's contribution to the team he has led and their formidable record. I can fully appreciate other fans not wanting to do the same. But as a NZ and Canterbury fan - first and foremost a NZ fan - I salute what McCaw has achieved and thank him for his unparalleled service to the national team and the pride and joy he has brought NZ fans.

Kia kaha for the rest of your career mate.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

A captain's hundred  Empty Re: A captain's hundred

Post by TJ Sat 22 Nov 2014, 1:04 pm

nice post

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Sat 22 Nov 2014, 1:34 pm

Kia I'm pretty sure everyone in rugby, players and fans share the same feeling of respect for McCaw. An amazing player. I'm hoping that he has an awful day today. Enjoy the game today

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Sat 22 Nov 2014, 2:09 pm

As a Welshman, in my 50s, who has never seen a Welsh victory over the blacks, I'm sorry, but I hope the boys in red can spoil McCaws 100th cap as Cap, by winning their 4th game against the Blacks...

I don't begrudge McCaw the plaudits he deserves, it's just a pity his 100th, as his first is against us. If you playing anyone else....

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sat 22 Nov 2014, 10:47 pm

Interesting set of interview on radio sport in NZ, yesterday (about lunchtime if anyone wants to listen). Essential Veitch having a loveathon for McCaw. What was interesting to me was the interaction between young players and McCaw. He interviewed Francis Saili who roomed with McCaw on his first go with the AB's. Essentially Saili said he crapped himself. What do you say to someone you have grown up watching, revering etc. He interviewed McCaw as well, and it was interesting he found it hard, because new guys were intimidated by his legend.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 22 Nov 2014, 11:16 pm

McCaw gets a lot of side smiles about devil arts and happy relations with refs who look the other way.

But say what you like about him, YES, he's pulled off a lucky strike on the nationality front when he gets to put on Black for such notable career (playing with those guys in any decade gives you a degree of immunity from bad experiences that other sides just can't mimic)  
BUT, boy are the ABs a lucky side to have had him too for so long.  Never an onlooker, never carried, never there for symbolic purposes.  Their engine.  What an engine he's been.  Would they have such a straight line at the top for so long without him?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 22 Nov 2014, 11:19 pm

The most successful captain of a National sports team in any code anywhere in the World, I think.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 22 Nov 2014, 11:22 pm

SecretFly wrote:McCaw gets a lot of side smiles about devil arts and happy relations with refs who look the other way.

But say what you like about him, YES, he's pulled off a lucky strike on the nationality front when he gets to put on Black for such notable career (playing with those guys in any decade gives you a degree of immunity from bad experiences that other sides just can't mimic)  
BUT, boy are the ABs a lucky side to have had him too for so long.  Never an onlooker, never carried, never there for symbolic purposes.  Their engine.  What an engine he's been.  Would they have such a straight line at the top for so long without him?

Fly, this team would not have anywhere near the success theyve enjoyed, had he not been there. if thats luck, then yes the ABs are lucky.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 22 Nov 2014, 11:33 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
SecretFly wrote:McCaw gets a lot of side smiles about devil arts and happy relations with refs who look the other way.

Fly, this team would not have anywhere near the success theyve enjoyed, had he not been there. if thats luck, then yes the ABs are lucky.

I didn't want to suggest that because to suggest so also makes the day of his departure.............. well it'll be an anxious time for New Zealand. They'll always be a bloody good side and probably still win more than they lose.......... but he really carries the show on his back for now.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 23 Nov 2014, 12:18 am

Its a very valid point Fly, thats why we think weve got the next cab on the rank all lined up.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11363045

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down