The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs Switzerland

+4
AberdeenSteve
Doon the Water
Crimey
taffy_crisp
8 posters

Go down

England vs Switzerland Empty England vs Switzerland

Post by taffy_crisp Thu 26 May 2011, 3:28 pm

bored at work again, here is the team i would like to start the game, in brackets are the ones who no doubt will start

Hart
Walker(Johnson) Cahill (Terry) Jagielka (Lescott) Baines (Cole)

Wilshire Parker(Barry) Milner(Lampard)

Johnson(Walcott)Bent Young

as u can guess, very bored

taffy_crisp

Back to top Go down

England vs Switzerland Empty Re: England vs Switzerland

Post by Guest Thu 26 May 2011, 3:36 pm

Team I'd like to see:
Hart
Walker - Terry - Jagielka - Cole
Parker - Lampard
Walcott - Wilshere - Young
Bent

Back to top Go down

Post by taffy_crisp Thu 26 May 2011, 3:54 pm

Churchill wrote:Team I'd like to see:
Hart
Walker - Terry - Jagielka - Cole
Parker - Lampard
Walcott - Wilshere - Young
Bent

why Lampard? do u not think against a team we should quite easily beat we should give other players a chance? even the likes of Downing?

taffy_crisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 May 2011, 6:25 pm

I don't really think we can class Switzerland as a team we should 'easily beat'. It'll be a tough, close game because they're quite strong defensively. Plus, we cannot afford anymore slip ups now because it looks like it's all going to go down to the penultimate game, and I'd rather be in control at that point.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 01 Jun 2011, 6:26 pm

I don't think we can underestimate Switzerland, remember they did beat Spain at the World Cup, it might not have been the most convincing performance, but if it can happen to Spain on the world's biggest stage, there is nothing to say it can't happen to England.

I would like to see us play:

Code:
                          Hart
Johnson        Jagielka          Terry          Cole

Parker            Milner

Downing                Lampard              Young

Bent

That is being realistic in who Capello would pick. Is Rooney out of this game? Only nobody has picked him on here? That's why I left him out of mine, but I'm not sure if he is available or not.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Jun 2011, 11:49 am

Swiss lineup (expected):

Benaglio; Lichtsteiner, Von Bergen, Grichting, Ziegler; Barnetta, Inler, Behrami, Gelson, Shaqiri; Derdiyok

Quite a strong team; the midfield looks especially threatening.

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 04 Jun 2011, 10:16 pm

As a Scot [not on a wind up ,honest] there is no one in those line ups that I would call 'World Class'.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 04 Jun 2011, 10:51 pm

Ashley Cole? Probably the best left back in the world today IMO. I think nobody likes to call him world class because he's such a dick. Don't get me wrong, I despise him as a person, but as a footballer I can't think of many better left backs.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sat 04 Jun 2011, 11:32 pm

After their performance today, none of the England squad could be classed as 'world class'. What a dreadful, dreadful performance from the country that has supposedly the best league in the world.

And Capello then blames the score on the fact that his team are knackered. The boy is a numpty.

🤦

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 05 Jun 2011, 12:56 pm

AberdeenSteve wrote:After their performance today, none of the England squad could be classed as 'world class'. What a dreadful, dreadful performance from the country that has supposedly the best league in the world.

And Capello then blames the score on the fact that his team are knackered. The boy is a numpty.

🤦

The best league in the world...which has considerably more foreign players than English ones... Wink

Switzerland actually have some very decent players and on top of that are managed by Ottmar Hitzfeldt. Not a side you would expect England to beat easily. That said, Capello didn't help matters with his team selection and our players did look lethargic. End of season or not, it seems to be a worryingly common occurrence for us. steam
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:05 pm

I didn't watch the entire game, but from what I've heard from others and read this morning, itwas a poor performance.

Imo Ferdinand and Lampard need to step aside; I don't think Milner is as effective in that use of the 433. Parker didn't have his best game in an England shirt, but I can't think of anyone to shove in just to win the ball back.

The middle three midfielders need to have a balance and I don't think Lampard has that. I'd never let Gerrard into the midfield again, too frustrating with his poor Hollywood passes. Upfront I think Walcott, Bent and Young is quite solid. I'm disappointed in the story about Crouch withdrawing from England under Capello is true because he offers something different upfront and has a good goalscoring record.

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:12 pm

The performance wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be, we could have easily won the game but Bent and Downing fluffed glorious chances to make it 3-2.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:21 pm

Even if we had won though, we didn't deserve it on the performance, particuarly in the first half. I can't work out why Capello chose not to start Young, it was a stupid decision IMO, especially as the player he used instead Milner is mainly used as a central midfielder these days.

I think we need to build a TEAM, which is why I would prefer we tried to encourage a front three of Young, Bent and Downing as they play together on club and international level, think of how succesful Spain are, one of the reasons for that is a lot of the players play with each other every week.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 05 Jun 2011, 2:27 pm

Considering England are meant to be this all conquering mighty world beating side I thought they looked fairly average although they could of won the game. No doubt if England had won they would of been classed as heros and showed the spirit of 1966 bla bla

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sun 05 Jun 2011, 2:44 pm

Steffan wrote:Considering England are meant to be this all conquering mighty world beating side

Well you can thank the English media for that. It seems that at every major tournament it's our "Best chance in years". How many best chances can we have before the stupid papers give it a rest. And they always ruin our supposed "best chance" by making one of the players public enemy number one a couple of weeks before every tournament.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 05 Jun 2011, 2:46 pm

England need to get rid of Capello to even consider becoming contenders. They've taken steps back if anything since having the Italian in charge.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 05 Jun 2011, 3:03 pm

AberdeenSteve wrote:England need to get rid of Capello to even consider becoming contenders. They've taken steps back if anything since having the Italian in charge.

Thats the thing though. Its nothing to do with the manager. England are just not as good as what the public and media they like to think they are. No shame in that as England are still a top 20 nation but dont blame Capello England just dont have the talent or strength in depth that they harp on about. England will still qualify. They will do jack all in the Euros because other teams will be so much better but Capello has done his job by getting them there

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Jun 2011, 3:05 pm

Its the age old problem with England players. They play better for their clubs than they do for England. They have the potential & ability, but for some reason they just cant perform the same.

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 05 Jun 2011, 3:12 pm

Steffan, there is a lot of blame that can be put on Capello. His selection policy at times has been very dubious. Don't get me wrong, I agree with everything you say about the quality of players that England have is made out to be amazing when we know that isn't the case but Capello has to take some blame.

Last night is a great example, his tactics were far from right and it showed in the performance.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 05 Jun 2011, 5:53 pm

As a Scot on a wind up this time I loved the Cfax header.

'Montenegro fail to gain on England'

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:31 pm

The one thing that makes me laugh about Capello's "we were tired" excuse is that they're all Premier League players on home soil and Spain went to Boston and beat the US 4-0.

La Liga finished the same week as the Prem and they had to travel thousands of miles and they beat a side better than Switzerland.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:35 pm

Oh, but Manning, it's all about the winter break! Wink

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:52 pm

Tired! Funny how our players are never tired when they embark on their month long trans-Atlantic and Asian pre season tours with their clubs ain't it?!

Or maybe a fortnight in some exotic destination really does bring back the ooommmmpphh!

And I defy any man to come back from a weekend break at Barry Island and not have a spring in their step!

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Sun 05 Jun 2011, 8:27 pm

I went to the game, and I couldn't believe how poor we were. Seeing the whole game makes you see how hard players work too, and Bent should hang his head in shame, other than his finishing, he hardly moved a muscle when he didn't have the ball, no looking for space or anything.

Glen Johnson isn't international class and neither is Parker. The only positives were Wilshere, the only player who looked like he could create an opening, and Young's energy and eye for goal.

On another note, the Swiss fans are a credit to their nation, absolutely class all the way through, good natured banter and friendly people. Wish I could say the same for the drunken louts sat near us, who vented their anger at some Swiss fans who dared to sit in the 'non Swiss' end and celebrate their goal. I thought that sort of behaviour had been stamped out of internation football.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down