The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The challenges facing South Africa

+4
fa0019
kingraf
FerN
Biltong
8 posters

Go down

The challenges facing South Africa Empty The challenges facing South Africa

Post by Biltong Mon 24 Nov 2014, 7:36 am

At the risk of becoming as predictable as Springbok rugby I am going to have a last shot at discussing their inability to adapt.

Even though this subject may have been ridden into the ground, the fact is that South African rugby still relies on physicality to win games.

The sad reality is that teams have become so much smarter in defence and at slowing down attacking ball.

The major cause for this is the manner in which South Africa attack. The breakdown struggles are just one of the resultant symptoms. The aggressive rush defence and subsequent offensive defence of the contact zone has evolved and changed the nature of how teams must approach the gain line on attack.

There are various ways of how the opposition defends in modern day rugby, the most common way is to rush the line and have the outside centre shoot the line to cut off the outside ball. The double tackle is used to stop the ball carrier from gaining the advantage line or continuing the momentum of the attacking team.

The low tackle is well exploited by the tackle assist ready and prone to acquire possession immediately after the tackle is made and the arriving players can secure the ball. The imaginary gate from which arriving players must enter has now become the pillar from which the round house kick is used to spoil accurate clean up by the half backs.

The drive over the ruck, with a collective flop onto the ground secures the ball and immediately closes access to the ball for the attacking team, and the sly tackle, not really releasing while getting to your feet, then refraining the tackled player from placing the ball another well executed manner of spoiling attacking ball.

My all-time favourite is the lean over the prone player using him as a ‘prop’ for not falling over and having at the ball like a hungry mongrel which fools many referees.

There is of course also the ‘if we all infringe at the same time it looks legal’ defence of the ruck, where everyone, the dog and the kitchen sink is thrown at the ruck. The referee interprets it as a counter ruck not being contested, and then when the whole pack falls over to seal the ball the damage has been done and referee calls play on.

There is of course the tackle turned into a maul by holding the tackled player up and surrounding him with as many defenders as possible in order to win the turn over. You may also find the odd sneaky ‘slap the ball out of the halfback’s hand’, which is increasingly difficult to spot these days.

The maul is defended by not engaging it, and the new trick is to send a defender around the ‘non maul’ to nail the ball carrier and win the turnover. The sacking of the maul is of course the best method to avoid having to defend the maul before it has formed.

There is the ever popular ‘swim through the maul’, which more often than not is just a swim around the side of the maul disguised as ‘through the maul’.

When looking at the above tactics it is clear that defence has evolved dramatically over the past few years and attacking with brawn is only going to be successful against teams well short in the physical stakes.

So how does one adapt to the new age defence?

The most exciting attack in my view is to use turnover ball in counter attack, the opposition team is not set up for defence, they are not organised and there is plenty of space out wide. It is, however, imperative to get the ball wide immediately. The first receiver must get the ball to players in space, it is also imperative to get the ball to speedsters. Having a prop running counter attack ball is useless, as they will be shut down by cover defenders and the advantage of space will be lost.

Avoid the contact areas as much as possible, avoid the traffic as much as possible, it is better to hit contact where the opposition has less forwards as they will take time to get to the ruck. However, in this case it is imperative not to get isolated, so running away from your support runners is an absolute no-no, there is no benefit in gaining forty yards and being turned over.

Support runners on either shoulder is an absolute must to employ the offload, and if the offload is not possible the support runners will be able to secure quick ball.

At the contact zone the first, second and third arrivals must have defined jobs, it doesn’t matter who the first defender is. He must be able to assess the first immediate danger and negate it. Simply going prone over the ball carrier is not enough.

At the moment of the contact on the ball carrier, the first arrival must be able to assess whether cleaning out the tackle assist is a higher priority than being prone over the tackled player. The second arrival needs to be more aware of the position of the first arrival, how often do we see the second arriving player push the first over and thus conceding a penalty for sealing off?

Cleaning a player past the ruck, is not always the best outcome, as you not only take the opposition player out, but yourself as well. If the defending team has a second player in position, you are just clearing the path for him.

Get the opposition defenders at the breakdown off their feet, or alternatively secure their legs, this new trend of having a hack at the ball makes life rather difficult for the halfback.

Johnny [removed]ton and Aaron Cruden are currently the two most intelligent kickers in world rugby, they can exploit the spaces behind the rush defence and they have the ability to execute the cross kick for the waiting wing more accurately than any other. They use the kick as an attacking weapon, something South Africa and Australia rarely do.

Shifting the point of attack does not rest on the shoulders of the flyhalf only, the midfield plays a big part in how defences set up. Whether it has to do with fooling defensive lines with angled runs, wide runs, staying back, or whatever play the midfield makes, the 12 has to be a playmaker. I concede I am not an expert on attacking ploys, but even for someone who propped up the scrum in his playing days it is clear that crash ball running has limited use.

Crash ball is inevitably a predictable line and often onto the strong shoulder of the defender as he is waiting for the moment of impact and ready for it, changing the angle of attack is about getting a runner onto the weak shoulder of the defender. Straightening the line of attack is as important as support runners coming in on the angle.

Far too often the midfield of South Africa run the outside backs into touch, with no space for them to manoeuvre, but this is often as a result of the support runners not being able to run themselves into the best positions to receive the ball.

Attack is about finding the space where there are no defenders, it is about deceit, running angles, creating space, fooling defenders and putting your support runner into a better position than you are.

After all, what is the use to pass or offload the ball to a player that is going to be worse off than yourself? Ultimately attack is most effective when the opposition is hesitant and the way to do that is to eliminate predictability.

Free flowing attack is about keeping the ball alive for as long as possible for continuous periods of time without having it interfered with by the breakdown battle. The faster and longer you can keep the ball alive, the better your chances of catching the defence off guard.

Heyneke Meyer has a big challenge ahead, Willie le Roux is the only player in the South African backline that understands how to find or create space, be it with a delayed pass, waiting for the support runners, changing the angles of attack or utilising a chip or grubber.

Handre Pollard and Patrick Lambie has shown glimpses of it, Cornal Hendricks is a devastating finisher and Bryan Habana is still one of the best wings in world rugby. But they need to find themselves in a one on one position.

The midfield combination of South Africa, however, relies on physicality and physicality alone, there are no smarts or creativity between Jean de Villiers and Jan Serfontein, nothing.

They are both good players, but as a combination they bring nothing but brawn.

The South African pack brings every component you may require except the skills necessary to play free flowing attacking rugby, and the nous to negate smarter teams at the contact zone.

Heyneke Meyer needs players who are more adept in attack, muscle is not enough. Paul Jordaan is probably the most creative midfielder in South Africa, we need one of him, Nizaam Carr is an explosive attacking back rower with vision and a desire to link with like-minded attacking players.

I am not punting Carr nor Jordaan to Meyer, but I am imploring him to revisit his selections, and find players who are smarter, more attack-minded, and more able to play free flowing rugby.

Hit and run is a criminal offence, and if we continue playing this way, we will pay the price for not changing. How many more times do I have to complain about this?

Oh, and please stop underestimating teams, it will bite you in the arse.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

The challenges facing South Africa Empty Re: The challenges facing South Africa

Post by FerN Mon 24 Nov 2014, 8:30 am

I agree with almost everything you said, but if you look at our attack minded players, they have almost always faded out. Remember how explosive Mvovo was when he started? Now where is he? Is he still even considered for a bok match day or even the squad? I don't think Cornal is going to last much longer either. When JdV started he was also very attacking, why did that change? Wasn't Habana as well? Does he actually still run the ball, or does he just chase high balls. Do we really attack more now, or does Willy just attack more. Does Willy still attack as much as he did when he first got selected?

I think we are training the creativity out of our players and have been doing so since I started watching.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 24 Nov 2014, 8:49 am

Fern wrote:I think we are training the creativity out of our players and have been doing so since I started watching.

That is our problem, our coaches believe too much in structure, and it dominates our play.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 24 Nov 2014, 8:58 am

Meyer has backed himself into a corner. The win at all costs attitude meant there was no room for experimentation in the beginning, and now, with less than 12 to go before the WC... there is no room for experimentation!!

It's almost criminal that a guy like Senatla wasn't tried this tour. A guy like Sithole hasn't even been given a look in, and he has gas to burn and can cover 11, 13 and 15. Haven't actually seen much of Ali, I admit, but maybe he should have been given a slot earlier? Problem with guys like him, and Minnie types is that they don't look like they belong in a Klitschko family photo, and their increased athleticism is offset by the fact that they may harm our traditional strengths.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 24 Nov 2014, 9:06 am

Yes, I am very disappointed that Senatla has not been given a chance, I believe he is the best and fastest finisher we have in SA, but Meyer is a mystery to me.

He has taken a lot of youngsters on tour with him a coupe of times but they didn't play at all.

Does he know something we don't?

Is he set for another four year term and finding his talent for after the World cup?

I don't know.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 24 Nov 2014, 9:29 am

I think the only time you could have tried him was the Italy match. It was a little bit conservative to play both Pietersen and Habana on the weekend but remember Italy are not a bad side and he has had very few first class matches, this has in reality been his first season and isn't even first choice for the stormers yet.

Habana and Pietersen go back to their clubs today so I imagine he may get a sneak at a bench spot.

Probably be Le Roux, Hendricks and for me De Allende for the wing against Wales. You need that power to combat Cuthbert and North.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 24 Nov 2014, 9:30 am

Johnny [removed]ton?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 24 Nov 2014, 9:31 am

Biltong wrote:
Fern wrote:I think we are training the creativity out of our players and have been doing so since I started watching.

That is our problem, our coaches believe too much in structure, and it dominates our play.

That's not just a SA problem we (Wales) certainly seem to be struggling with that and reading a few comments about England over this autumn series they seem to be in the same boat.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 24 Nov 2014, 9:34 am

Structure only works if everyone does their job... if Mahoje cannot bust them same holes as Alberts it makes the 3-4 set plays off a lineout etc pointless.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 24 Nov 2014, 9:51 am

Mohoje is a serious problem which we can do nothing about, there is no way I will believe he is there on merit.

And if anyone disagrees, look at the other newbies, how they struggle to make the starting line up.

His play severely impacts on our work at the breakdown and driving the ball up.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 24 Nov 2014, 10:00 am

Biltong wrote:Mohoje is a serious problem which we can do nothing about, there is no way I will believe he is there on merit.

And if anyone disagrees, look at the other newbies, how they struggle to make the starting line up.

You can tell even if the words of the commentators. They can't criticise but all they keep on saying is... we now need to see Mahoje step up, we need him to start showing his SR form, his potential etc.

Wales could do worse than play both Tipuric and Warburton against the boks. Mahoje is pretty impotent. Ok at everything, master of none. Not a complete liability but is nonetheless being carried. If the can control the breakdown then I think they will have a good chance vs. the boks (not the best time to play Wales to be honest)

Schalk goes home and Meyer won't play Carr IMO. Perhaps he should but he's a little small for 7.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 24 Nov 2014, 10:03 am

Oh, is Schalk also going home?

Well, then we are going to send out a rather second rate team.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 24 Nov 2014, 10:05 am

Biltong wrote:Oh, is Schalk also going home?

Well, then we are going to send out a rather second rate team.

Going back to Japan no? I thought he was one of the players who can't play due to the test window.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 24 Nov 2014, 10:10 am

Yeah, you're right, I forgot he signed for Japan.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Mon 24 Nov 2014, 10:44 am

fa0019 wrote:
Biltong wrote:Mohoje is a serious problem which we can do nothing about, there is no way I will believe he is there on merit.

Schalk goes home and Meyer won't play Carr IMO. Perhaps he should but he's a little small for 7.

That is precisely the South African problem. Last year we were 3 kg heavier per forward than the All Blacks, this year I think it is probably closer to 4 or 5, but they still beat us. So size isn't that big of an advantage anymore. Why is Mohoje picked above other black players if he is just there for the numbers? Because he is the tallest, and close to biggest black player there is. And maybe his age. But just because you are tall and big shouldn't make you a better pick than anyone else.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 24 Nov 2014, 10:46 am

Fern I agree completely.

Meyer doesn't like small flankers if he can help it.

Kolisi, Carr are small but they are African and coloured respectively so height for them is sort of waivered.

Mahoje sort of physically fits the bill for a blindside for him and that's why he endeavours with him.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 24 Nov 2014, 10:53 am

Hell, I like Nizaam Carr. Wish he plays this weekend.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:02 am

Biltong wrote:Hell, I like Nizaam Carr. Wish he plays this weekend.

Lineout liability for me.

Too small. His reach is probably 6 inches less than Mahoje given he's only 6'0 at best. That could be the difference between securing lineout and not for Meyer.

And we all know how important the lineout is to Meyer.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:03 am

To be fair to Mahoje, this was his first season as a fully fledged pro. It's not his fault circumstances dictated he get a rather premature push. Shouldn't be playing, I agree, but I'm not going to hold it against him. Carr isn't going to start too often, simple as that. He's what? 100kg? Shorter than Kolisi as well.

I do find it strange to the point of downright inexplicable that Meyer has picked Mohoje as his designated black player when there are positions where you could make a case for a black player on merit (yes I'm talking about Serfontein)
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:06 am

kingraf wrote:To be fair to Mahoje, this was his first season as a fully fledged pro. It's not his fault circumstances dictated he get a rather premature push. Shouldn't be playing, I agree, but I'm not going to hold it against him. Carr isn't going to start too often, simple as that. He's what? 100kg? Shorter than Kolisi as well.

I do find it strange to the point of downright inexplicable that Meyer has picked Mohoje as his designated black player when there are positions where you could make a case for a black player on merit (yes I'm talking about Serfontein)

De Allende is coloured, well Herschelle Gibbs coloured but it counts all the same. He has much more zip than Serfontein too as well as bulk. Similar to JDV in his youth.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:12 am

kingraf wrote:I do find it strange to the point of downright inexplicable that Meyer has picked Mohoje as his designated black player when there are positions where you could make a case for a black player on merit (yes I'm talking about Serfontein)

Mohoje, might still go far, but he will probably go down the same route as Chillyboy.  But if he succeeds it Meyer will be lauded for his vision.

Serfontein is actually doing okay, will Senatla do better than him?

Edit: Hmm, he just plays wing and for WP, had the wrong player in my head when I named him. Who is the Lions center?

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:14 am

kingraf wrote:To be fair to Mahoje, this was his first season as a fully fledged pro. It's not his fault circumstances dictated he get a rather premature push. Shouldn't be playing, I agree, but I'm not going to hold it against him. Carr isn't going to start too often, simple as that. He's what? 100kg? Shorter than Kolisi as well.

Carr should reinvent himself as an openside else he won't have a long career. You have to be min 6'2 for No.8 or blindside. The bigger guys will simply get the calls. To be honest if I were selecting a Stormers backrow today I wouldn't even include Carr as the backup. I'd take Elstadt, Burger & Vermeulen. Why because Elstadt at 2metres tall and 120 kg is Eben like and brutal. I'd have Kolisi on the bench and acting as the successor for Burger as he for me is a far better tackler than Carr and has a great engine too.... who else can keep tabs with Habana?

The Stormers were at their best when they were bossing sides with their 930kg pack, I think it once went over 940kg!!! The last 2 seasons have seen Carr, Fourie (5'9) and Kolisi form a mini-me club side were each player was at least 4 inches shorter than the first choice and 15kg lighter. The last 2 seasons we've simply been outmuscled due to injuries.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:16 am

FerN wrote:
kingraf wrote:I do find it strange to the point of downright inexplicable that Meyer has picked Mohoje as his designated black player when there are positions where you could make a case for a black player on merit (yes I'm talking about Serfontein)

Mohoje, might still go far, but he will probably go down the same route as Chillyboy.  But if he succeeds it Meyer will be lauded for his vision.

Edit:  Hmm, he just plays wing and for WP, had the wrong player in my head when I named him.  Who is the Lions center?

Mapoe... na, not good enough. De Allende is far better.

For me though Mahoje offers no energy. He's a little lazy.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:20 am

fa0019 wrote:
FerN wrote:

Edit:  Hmm, he just plays wing and for WP, had the wrong player in my head when I named him.  Who is the Lions center?

Thanks, he was captain too for a bit if I am not mistaken. I thought he played quite well.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:22 am

To be completely honest re: Serfontein. I'd venture and say every single 13 playing franchise in the country is a better 13 than him. The bok pipeline has basically said as much in admitting that in game, Jean plays 13 in more situations than not... which in itself is a problem, but it's a problem we've pretty much gone into into making of our own volition. I know Fa doesn't rate Mapoe, but there's absolutely no way on gods green earth Serfontein is a better option than him. He isn't better than JJ either, or De Allende, or Sbu when he plays there. Serfontein couldn't punch a hole through wet tissue paper
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:28 am

kingraf wrote:To be completely honest re: Serfontein. I'd venture and say every single 13 playing franchise in the country is a better 13 than him. The bok pipeline has basically said as much in admitting that in game, Jean plays 13 in more situations than not... which in itself is a problem, but it's a problem we've pretty much gone into into making of our own volition. I know Fa doesn't rate Mapoe,  but there's absolutely no way on gods green earth Serfontein is a better option than him. He isn't better than JJ either, or De Allende, or Sbu when he plays there. Serfontein couldn't punch a hole through wet tissue paper

I thought Mapoe did ok a few seasons ago but simply didn't progress. For me I'd still the order is thus

Fourie, Engelbrecht, De Allende, De Jongh, Mapoe.

Serfontein is probably just about equal to De Jongh at 13 although not attacking wise. Makes up for it as De Jongh suffers a bit from being a little small and lightweight in the tackle.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:38 am

BUt Jan Serfontein is not a 13, he is there because Meyer sees him as the best center out of the rest, but he is sentimental about de Villiers and plays him at 12 on attack and 13 on defence.

Let's look at the best backs in SA and where they should be playing. In n particular order these are the guys I would consider in these positions had I taken over from Meyer after the RWC.

Scrum halves
Cobus Reinach, Francois HOugaard, Kevin Luiters

Flyhalves
Pollard, Lambie, BOshoff, Catrakilis

Inside centres
Jan Serfontein, Damien de Allende, Andre Esterhuizen

Outside Centres
Paul Jordaan, William Small Smith

Wings
Basson, Hendricks, Kobus v Wyk, JJ Engelbrecht, Senatla, Sithole

Fullback
Willie le Roux, Jesse Kriel, Jurgen Visser, Kolbe
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Mon 24 Nov 2014, 12:11 pm

fa0019 wrote:
FerN wrote:

For someone who finds Serfonteins lack of speed a problem you're a big fan of arguably the slowest winger in SA De Allende
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:09 pm

Hi,my interest in SA Rugby has always been how it is related to NZ rugby,it is difficult
for one to judge at present.

Because many of your top players are injured,the attempted change of style is fine
until you lose.Then the temptation is to revert to the traditional power game,i do not
pretend to know your best players only those I`ve seen.

Bok coaches have little room for manoeuvre to many losses and it`s your job.
After the Ireland defeat,it was obvious England match would be a dog fight
and the defence of the driving maul poor.

The All Blacks even against 14men have negated that tactic better than any other
side in world rugby.

Frankly both England and Italy matches were poor especially the latter,if the AI`s
have shown anything.

Currently on there day any side can cause an upset which is as it should be.In my
opinion for what its worth.Policy picking overseas based players is a retrograde
step.

How the muted racially basis for Bok selection which in theory started in 1995
but still hasn't really been implemented in full yet.Short term will maybe deleterious
but long term?

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down