The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v Australia

+67
Cumbrian
Hammersmith harrier
Armchairexpert
GavinDragon
milkyboy
Heaf
Hood83
Mad for Chelsea
mystiroakey
ChequeredJersey
emack2
Taylorman
The Saint
pledgeX
Chjw131
boomeranga
EnglishReign
Poorfour
alcoombe
Rugby Fan
Welly
sirtidychris
No 7&1/2
sickofwendy
TightHEAD
dummy_half
George Carlin
nobbled
Knackeredknees
englandglory4ever
thomh
bluestonevedder
Alex_Germany
Bathman_in_London
funnyExiledScot
hugehandoff
kingjohn7
Barney McGrew did it
jamesandimac
FecklessRogue
DaveM
GunsGerms
johnpartle
doctor_grey
robbo277
Pal Joey
WELL-PAST-IT
nth
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
majesticimperialman
Cyril
SecretFly
cb
maestegmafia
Big
bedfordwelsh
lostinwales
HammerofThunor
beshocked
nathan
MichaelT
yappysnap
jelly
LondonTiger
BamBam
LordDowlais
Geordie
71 posters

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

England v Australia - Page 4 Empty England v Australia

Post by Geordie Mon 24 Nov 2014, 9:50 am

First topic message reminder :

England v Australia - Page 4 Englan10   England v Australia - Page 4 Wallab10
England v Australia
29 November 2014
KO 14:30
Twickenham
Referee: Jérôme Garcès (France)

Well 3 down - one to go. And this is a biggy. World Cup group rival....a win would be a nice mental strengthener.

So who do we start.

Have the coaches learned some lessons?...Farrell is not in form and not fit.
Also having a playmaker at 10 opens options up.

Can they issue glue to all the players so they can actually catch the ball...specifically in try scoring situations.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

England v Australia - Page 4 Empty Re: England v Australia

Post by LondonTiger Thu 27 Nov 2014, 8:08 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Here's a question.

If all the locks were fit and in top form what combo would you pick? And why?

As I have been seriously underwhelmed by Daver Attwood this autumn - I would return to the Lawes/Launchbury combo.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 27 Nov 2014, 8:11 am

So would you say this AI series has seen Attwood become a starter...leaving a choice between Launchbury and Lawes?

Edit: Didnt see your response LT.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 27 Nov 2014, 8:19 am

Very Happy

As always what we think is irrelevant to what SL will do. Hell he could always recall Geoff Parling. However the attributes that Attwood was meant to bring, gnarly, old school attitude, heavy traffic ground making and all round physicality I have not seen. Lawes has indeed been quiet, but he has called the line-out well and along with Launchbury does a hell of a lot of work around the paddock. So yeah for me Attwood has not nailed down a place. However Lancaster does tend quite often to retain the man in the shirt.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 27 Nov 2014, 8:22 am

I wonder if the knock Lawes took against New Zealand affected him. I do wonder how often a drop in 'form' is actually down to carrying an injury that affects their game more than the injury they usually carry (as all players seem to be a little injured all the time).

I feel like Attwood in the forwards version of Twelvetrees. On paper has what we need, but hasn't shown it.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 27 Nov 2014, 8:27 am

You think they're playing Lawes with concussion?

The more I think about how the backline who started to improve so much in the 6Ns and has dropped off since the more I think Twelvetrees is/was doing his job well.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 27 Nov 2014, 8:27 am

Australia: 15 Israel Folau, 14 Henry Speight, 13 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12 Matt Toomua, 11 Rob Horne, 10 Bernard Foley, 9 Nick Phipps, 8 Ben McCalman, 7 Michael Hooper (c), 6 Sean McMahon, 5 Rob Simmons, 4 Sam Carter, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Saia Fainga'a, 1 James Slipper

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 27 Nov 2014, 8:29 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:You think they're playing Lawes with concussion?

The more I think about how the backline who started to improve so much in the 6Ns and has dropped off since the more I think Twelvetrees is/was doing his job well.

Not necessarily concussion but that's not the only impact a head knock can have. It may even be completely unrelated to the head knock but related to him needing medic attention early in the SA game. He seems to be getting a lot of their attention this Autumn...or he could be out of form/not up to it/something else Smile

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 27 Nov 2014, 8:35 am

So what about Slater had he been fit. Would he have come in and made that his shirt...he was playing great rugby and captaining?

For me the balance of the second row with Lawes and Launchbury is off...similarly as i feel the two flankers are not balanced.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 27 Nov 2014, 8:49 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:So what about Slater had he been fit. Would he have come in and made that his shirt...he was playing great rugby and captaining?

For me the balance of the second row with Lawes and Launchbury is off...similarly as i feel the two flankers are not balanced.

If Slater had not been injured against the Crusaders then he may have got a chance on the bench ahead of Kruis. Who knows.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Thu 27 Nov 2014, 8:51 am

Attwood has been very good ?! Our lineout has been almost flawless, scrum doing very well and our rolling maul has been our best attacking weapon, Attwood has been at the centre of all those things literally and figuratively. I have also seen him with more ball in hand than any other forward with his handling skills play a large part in one of the May samoa tries. He has by far eclipsed Lawes, and for me its now Attwood and Launchberry as we miss Launchberrys athletism, especially with no openside flanker.

I don't know what people expect to see from a lock, Attwood has been a rock that has seen our set piece function brilliantly and he has carried hard with slow stagnant ball shipped on at ankle height from Care and Farrell.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 27 Nov 2014, 9:00 am

sirtidychris wrote:Attwood has been very good ?! Our lineout has been almost flawless, scrum doing very well and our rolling maul has been our best attacking weapon, Attwood has been at the centre of all those things literally and figuratively. I have also seen him with more ball in hand than any other forward with his handling skills play a large part in one of the May samoa tries. He has by far eclipsed Lawes, and for me its now Attwood and Launchberry as we miss Launchberrys athletism, especially with no openside flanker.

I don't know what people expect to see from a  lock, Attwood has been a rock that has seen our set piece function brilliantly and he has carried hard with slow stagnant ball shipped on at ankle height from Care and Farrell.  

We all see what we want to see I guess. I have not seen Attwood at the heart of anything especially good. His side of the scrum has creaked, his ball carrying in the loose has been ineffective and he has butchered two real try opportunities. He has carried in the tight no more than any other forward and no more effectively. He has been no more central to the driving maul than any other forward. He has done ok, but I do not feel he has done anything special.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu 27 Nov 2014, 9:21 am

I have to admit a Bath bias but I think Attwood has done well, especially in that NZ test. The lineout has gone well, the scrum too, he has carried a bit, made his tackles, he blotted his copybook with the knock on at the end of the Samoa game but then he hasn't been the only one whose handling has let them down this series.

I think Lawes has actually been pretty poor this series and as mentioned above, I don't think he has been the same since that head knock against NZ. He certainly hasn't put as much pressure/ his trade mark late hits on the opposition half backs since.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 27 Nov 2014, 9:43 am

I would agree that Lawes has been quiet.

he has been excellent in the lineout, and has been useful in disrupting several mauls but he doesnt look at the top of his game - seems a common factor in this England lineup.

Attwood has been good i think.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 27 Nov 2014, 9:55 am

The whole forward pack has been good barring Big Billy I think. Been impressed with Mullan from the bench too.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Thu 27 Nov 2014, 10:00 am

Attwood has made a couple of high profile errors but has looked fundamentally able to make the step up to test starter, both physically and mentally. The lineout, scrum and maul have been excellent. I'm a huge fan of Lawes but lock selection will be really tough if Launchbury is back for the Six Nations.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 27 Nov 2014, 10:09 am

Given how the lineout has been Lawes must surely start? launchbury for me is still a step up in class from Attwood and has the potential to be among the very best.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 27 Nov 2014, 10:10 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Australia: 15 Israel Folau, 14 Henry Speight, 13 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12 Matt Toomua, 11 Rob Horne, 10 Bernard Foley, 9 Nick Phipps, 8 Ben McCalman, 7 Michael Hooper (c), 6 Sean McMahon, 5 Rob Simmons, 4 Sam Carter, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Saia Fainga'a, 1 James Slipper

Yeesh that backline

I would have been far happier if they had left AAC out on the wing and brought in Beale at centre. I reckon AAC is a seriously underrated OC, and the lines he picks from centre make him much more useful there than out on the wing.

Added to that Speight being a bit of a beast going forward (although questionable defensively), and I'm going to be watching through my fingers whenever they have decent attacking ball

Genia, Cooper, Beale and Skelton coming off the bench isn't going to be fun either

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 27 Nov 2014, 10:14 am

England team as expected http://www.espn.co.uk/england/rugby/story/249313.html

England: Mike Brown, Anthony Watson, Brad Barritt, Billy Twelvetrees, Jonny May, George Ford, Ben Youngs; Joe Marler, Dylan Hartley, David Wilson, Dave Attwood, Courtney Lawes, Tom Wood, Chris Robshaw (captain), Ben Morgan
Replacements: Rob Webber, Matt Mullan, Kieran Brookes, George Kruis, James Haskell, Richard Wigglesworth, Owen Farrell, Marland Yarde

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 27 Nov 2014, 10:26 am

Last chance saloon for 36 in my opinion he has to step up to the plate and deliver.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Thu 27 Nov 2014, 10:26 am

Yep pleased with that side, Farrell for all his critics is a good bench option with his goal kicking for a tight last 20 and the run on side is the best we have put out this AI series. People will point fingers at Barritt still in the side and out of position at 13 but with changes so far to 9,10 an 12 we need some continuity and as always his work in defence and at the breakdown will be the best out there. I think we all would have liked Joseph or Burrell at 13 but at this stage in the series its too late to bring them in especially as the suspect 10/12 channel will be targeted all day for defense.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 27 Nov 2014, 10:43 am

I agree that with all the changes that have been amde, and the 23 men SL retained that this is the best we can do. Still jacked off that we have not actually seen a genuine 13 playing.

If only we could turn back the clock and select Barritt/Joseph for the NZ game. Ever since we have been tinkering:

Roku dropped out due to injury.
Ford/Farrell axis always intended for Samoa.
Now 36 instead.

If Barritt is our defensive lynchpin - well how about selecting him in his correct position?

Anyway all irrelevant as it will be the 80 minutes on Saturday (that I will not see) that matters.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 27 Nov 2014, 10:58 am

Londontiger you didn't answer the question - was 36 a leader at Tigers?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 27 Nov 2014, 11:23 am

You guys think that when the clock hits 60 minutes that Wiggly and Farrell will come on together?
Assuming he is playing well, I would like to see Ford given the full 80 minutes to see how he fares.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 27 Nov 2014, 11:40 am

Probably.

To be honest having a 9-10 combo who know each other isn't a bad option but I would rather see Dickson-Myler or even Wigglesworth-Hodgson.

Farrell Jr should be dropped completely.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 27 Nov 2014, 11:56 am

beshocked wrote:Londontiger you didn't answer the question - was 36 a leader at Tigers?

He was not a first choice player - so pretty hard to be. He certainly looked like he coudl be leadership material.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 27 Nov 2014, 11:57 am

beshocked wrote:Londontiger you didn't answer the question - was 36 a leader at Tigers?

Hell no but he was only 22 when he left.

He was very flaky with Leicester either brilliant, or shocking.

But then I feel he has lost pace since he has bulked up a bit. Considering he covered wing at times for Leicester he would be able to do that now even at AP level.

His game was inconsistent in every aspect when he was with us. Had all the potential mind you just was one way or another.

He wasn't a player to bank on if the scrum was falling apart.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:10 pm

beshocked wrote:Probably.

To be honest having a 9-10 combo who know each other isn't a bad option but I would rather see Dickson-Myler or even Wigglesworth-Hodgson.

Farrell Jr should be dropped completely.
Makes sense. Proven combos, especially at 9-10, is probably a good idea.  You think Lancaster is hoping Wiggly will help improve Farrell's game?  
That said, I think we all agree Farrell needs some serious beach time to get healthy.   I also wonder why Lancaster continues with players not at their best form for their clubs.  Brown for one, we know how much better he can be when right, so why play him now?  I don't think England is the place to get players firing, should be at the clubs.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:29 pm

doctor grey it's simply poor management.

I guess Wigglesworth might help Farrell but we'll see.

Fair enough Welly. That's what I thought but obviously being a Leicester fan like Londontiger you have more knowledge on the topic of 36.

Londontiger how did he look like leadership material? I thought it was Allen who ran/runs the defence at Leicester when fit?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:36 pm

beshocked wrote:Farrell Jr should be dropped completely.

The starting line-up is Youngs, Care, May, Twelvetrees, Barritt, Watson

You don't have Farrell, so which three backs would be on your bench to make sure - given those names above - that you have cover for every position if anyone gets injured?

I keep asking this question, not because there aren't answers, but there aren't a lot of good answers, and I'm keen to know what positional risks people are prepared to take in order to see Farrell out of the matchday squad.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:39 pm

Cips or Myler

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:44 pm

Welly wrote:Cips or Myler
To cover what?

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:48 pm

How come Rokoduguni and Eastmond are both down to play on Friday for Bath but have dropped off Englands radar?

Did they really do that bad as I thought they were both injuried?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by cb Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:50 pm

Both Watson and May (to a lesser extent) can cover full back.  So Other than a reserve FH and SH, I would have gone with Joseph who could cover both centre and wing.

cb

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 27 Nov 2014, 1:01 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
To cover what?

Wiggleworth/Care cover 9
 Cips/Myler cover 10 (Barritt can cover 12 as he plays there usually)
 goode/Roko/Yarde/Joesph

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 27 Nov 2014, 1:05 pm

TightHEAD wrote:How come Rokoduguni and Eastmond are both down to play on Friday for Bath but have dropped off Englands radar?

This does highlight an area of Lancasters managerial ability that puzzles me.

Having said that as of now i dont want to change the wingers....May and Watson look very good...and potential for the future.

Nowell seems to be playing aswell mind for Exeter.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 27 Nov 2014, 1:08 pm

cb wrote:Both Watson and May (to a lesser extent) can cover full back.  So Other than a reserve FH and SH, I would have gone with Joseph who could cover both centre and wing.

I think Joseph is pretty much the only fit player in or around the squad who could conceivably do both - he was on the wing in Argentina - but he's not a great winger and hasn't trained there much for his club, let alone country. If Tom May collected an early broken nose again, then I suspect we'd be in trouble.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 27 Nov 2014, 1:12 pm

Welly wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:
To cover what?

Wiggleworth/Care cover 9
 goode/Roko/Yarde/Joesph

If that means you'd have Goode, Roko and Yarde covering centre and Joseph covering wing, then I think three of those options look very vulnerable while the other is uncertain at best.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 27 Nov 2014, 1:15 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
cb wrote:Both Watson and May (to a lesser extent) can cover full back.  So Other than a reserve FH and SH, I would have gone with Joseph who could cover both centre and wing.

I think Joseph is pretty much the only fit player in or around the squad who could conceivably do both - he was on the wing in Argentina - but he's not a great winger and hasn't trained there much for his club, let alone country. If Tom May collected an early broken nose again, then I suspect we'd be in trouble.
Surely its obvious...Barritt would go to the wing.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 27 Nov 2014, 1:15 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:How come Rokoduguni and Eastmond are both down to play on Friday for Bath but have dropped off Englands radar?

This does highlight an area of Lancasters managerial ability that puzzles me.

Having said that as of now i dont want to change the wingers....May and Watson look very good...and potential for the future.

Nowell seems to be playing aswell mind for Exeter.

I agree about the wingers, but that was more about players taking their chance due to injuries rather than SL making a selection call.
I think Eastmond should have been involved this weekend rather than 36 and Farrell shouldn't have started vs Samoa at Centre when guys like Eastmond JJ (inform centres of the games I've watched on TV this season) were available.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 27 Nov 2014, 1:32 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
Welly wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:
To cover what?

Wiggleworth/Care cover 9
 goode/Roko/Yarde/Joesph

If that means you'd have Goode, Roko and Yarde covering centre and Joseph covering wing, then I think three of those options look very vulnerable while the other is uncertain at best.

What?

tell me the difference Owen bring to the 23 then?

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by cb Thu 27 Nov 2014, 1:46 pm

I think any replacement which is not like for like is always going have some impact on a side, but If I remember Joseph did play wing at times for London Irish (though not for Bath).  I would not think he would be too much of a liability.  With the usual three outfield replacements, not all eventualities can be covered as well as would be liked, but the degradation should not be major.  

On a slightly different note Farrell is not essential as a replacement as other options do exist.

cb

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex_Germany Thu 27 Nov 2014, 2:19 pm

Quick question (sorry to ask again?)

Who will, and who should, take long range penalty attempts?

Leicester fans have commented here before about 36's ability to hit penalties from 50m. Ford seems to struggle from over 40m.

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu 27 Nov 2014, 2:32 pm

I think if England get a penalty 50m out we will just stick it towards the corner. When 12trees has played previously there seemed to be no inclination to let him have a go at the long range ones.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by alcoombe Thu 27 Nov 2014, 3:14 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Here's a question.

If all the locks were fit and in top form what combo would you pick? And why?

Without a doubt Launchbury & Lawes. Attwood has gone OK, but his ball handling and rugby brain have let him down a fair bit in my eyes. There was the drop in the last match, two further times he coughed the ball up against SA and then the hash for a try in that same game. Lawes hasn't been in great form since his egg-head, but when he is his defensive speed is a serious offensive weapon, he's run our lineout brilliantly for the last year or so and he's a real nuisance around the park, particularly in mauls with his long levers. Launchbury's workrate and toil is huge for England and something I've felt we've really missed, he's also got a lot of rugby nous and handles the ball really well with soft hands in contact, something that the Kiwi locks tend to have and prove is essential to make the most of breaks and interplaying rugby.

I was worried about Kruis before the series but actually felt he's done OK, mildly impressed at times with his workrate and athleticism. That being said I'd probably prefer to have a look at Kitchener in the lineout role and when fit again Slater & Garvey for the dogged lock with blindside qualities. Slater is another lock who I think has particularly good hands for the position and a decent rugby brain to use them as well as carrying ability.

alcoombe

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 27 Nov 2014, 3:17 pm

I just took a look comparing England's record in the years leading up to the last 4 RWCs. My thought was to see if we were in better or worse shape and if we really on 'on track' to challenge seriously for the RWC crown.

2002: 8-0-1
2006: 3-0-8
2010: 5-1-5
2014: 5-0-6

Seems to me our preparation and results are not dissimilar to 2010. So, please tell me, what hath Stuart Lancaster wrought?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 27 Nov 2014, 3:26 pm

Interesting that much of the criticism of Attwood has been about actual handling skills etc not about his actual role as a heavy duty carrier, tackler, ruck hitter and mauler.

To be honest my first requirements for a lock are to be the physical ones rather than silky hands.

I think he has played well...indeed i think lawes hasnt been so effective. If i had to start them all if fit it would probably be Attwood and Launchbury v Oz.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 27 Nov 2014, 3:40 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:

If Tom May is playing we are really in trouble.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Thu 27 Nov 2014, 3:43 pm

Although as things stand it won't matter to the team if Tom breaks his nose
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 27 Nov 2014, 5:11 pm

doctor_grey wrote:I just took a look comparing England's record in the years leading up to the last 4 RWCs.  My thought was to see if we were in better or worse shape and if we really on 'on track' to challenge seriously for the RWC crown.

2002:  8-0-1
2006:  3-0-8
2010:  5-1-5
2014:  5-0-6

Seems to me our preparation and results are not dissimilar to 2010.  So, please tell me, what hath Stuart Lancaster wrought?

In 2010, a much more experienced team lost to Ireland, France, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa (the last 3 by 10 points apiece) and drew with Scotland.

In 2014, the losses have been to France, New Zealand, New Zealand, New Zealand, New Zealand and South Africa. The France result was by the same losing margin, the 3rd test in NZ had a big margin, all the rest have been by 3 points or less. And this particular New Zealand team is arguably the best team the world has seen.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesandimac Thu 27 Nov 2014, 5:43 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Interesting that much of the criticism of Attwood has been about actual handling skills etc not about his actual role as a heavy duty carrier, tackler, ruck hitter and mauler.

To be honest my first requirements for a lock are to be the physical ones rather than silky hands.

I think he has played well...indeed i think lawes hasnt been so effective. If i had to start them all if fit it would probably be Attwood and Launchbury v Oz.

Agree completely. Attwood has been very good this autumn and has proven that he can lead the lineout and provide good ballast in the scrum and mauls. For me he's been standout in the second row department and I wouldn't mind seeing how the Attwood and Launchbury combination would work.

Either way I think we've got 3 top class locks there in Attwood, Launchbury and Lawes, and providing they stay fit that should be the squad locks going forward.

jamesandimac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next