The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys rugby boss Andrew Millward warns the WRU

+8
GavinDragon
HammerofThunor
The Great Aukster
bedfordwelsh
2ndtimeround
Notch
Cardiff Dave
LordDowlais
12 posters

Go down

Ospreys rugby boss Andrew Millward warns the WRU Empty Ospreys rugby boss Andrew Millward warns the WRU

Post by LordDowlais Thu 04 Dec 2014, 9:20 am

Andrew Millward has warned the WRU that the AI could end up ruining the game in Wales:-

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk ... z3KuyDVJuB

Ospreys rugby boss Andrew Millward has warned that Welsh rugby is flirting with disaster by effectively shutting down the community game for a month while Wales play their autumn internationals.

While the Welsh Rugby Union have been celebrating the most well-attended round of November Tests at the Millennium Stadium since 2009, with almost quarter of a millions tickets sold for the four games, clubs around the country were rugby-free for virtually the entire period.

Millward believes the situation could lead to a significant drop-off in player and supporter numbers and says the whole of Welsh rugby needs to address it, possibly by adopting a uniform position on a global season or at the very least playing league matches on the mornings of international days in future years.

"The current arrangements are simply unsatisfactory," he said.

"Of course everyone wants to see big crowds at the Millennium Stadium during these autumn Tests, but my guess is a lot of people want to see their own clubs play as well during November.

"What is happening is potentially disastrous because rugby at community level is effectively being suspended for a month and players and supporters are finding other things to do on Saturdays.

"Habits are being broken and there are so many things out there today competing for time, money and attention. If you take something away for even a short period, something else could fill the gap.

"Everyone is worried about the drop-off in player numbers between the ages of 16 and 19, but here we are doing something that might encourage that process."

Millward, the Ospreys' rugby general manager, continued: "I am not having a go at anyone.

"I am saying there's a real problem here and we need to do something about it or it is going to cause us serious difficulties further down the line.

"Income generation is being affected and a number of people have come onto me over the past month to say they wish they had a local game to go to.

"Everyone knows a story about a struggling club yet here we are having a month off, with all the things that flow from that. It doesn't make sense."

There has been talk of reshaping the northern hemisphere season, but rugby administrators are not the fastest-moving beasts in the jungle and no one should hold their breath for progress on that front any decade soon, with the BBC seemingly enjoying the Six Nations filling their weekend schedules during the otherwise barren months of February and March.

But Millward reckons that still shouldn't stop Welsh rugby calling for significant change.

If it doesn't happen, he insists, standing still isn't an option.

"The ideal answer would be to restructure the season," he said.

"We are where we are simply because it's been that way for years, but the game has changed and we in Wales have to change with it.

"Welsh rugby needs to get a uniform position on this, with everyone on the same page.

"Can the Six Nations be moved given what else is on at that time of year and the views of TV people? It would take some doing but we still have to ask the question.

"Is there anything else that can be done? Playing on international match days would be a help. It would be an easy change to make and probably not be too disruptive, whereas sorting out the northern hemisphere season would be difficult.

"But it's not fair to carry on as we are. It's crazy to think we can effectively shut up shop at community level for a month and there won't be consequences."

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Ospreys rugby boss Andrew Millward warns the WRU Empty Re: Ospreys rugby boss Andrew Millward warns the WRU

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 13 Dec 2014, 6:07 pm

That horse bolted a long time ago.
And now we have this...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30452340
Have the WRU commented yet?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Ospreys rugby boss Andrew Millward warns the WRU Empty Re: Ospreys rugby boss Andrew Millward warns the WRU

Post by Notch Sat 13 Dec 2014, 7:08 pm

They don't play club rugby in Wales during the internationals? That is crazy.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 13 Dec 2014, 7:25 pm

Notch wrote:They don't play club rugby in Wales during the internationals? That is crazy.

Craziness everywhere in Wales i'm afraid.
Here's some more...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-30246108

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Sat 13 Dec 2014, 7:54 pm

Its not just club level, the Scarlet's only have 1 home fixture through December also as the fixtures for the Derbies are been arranged to suit Cardiff. It will never be a level playing field with the WRU.
December fixtures,
Cardiff have 3 home games, 2 Fri evening and 1 Saturday afternoon
Ospreys have 3 home games all on a Saturday afternoon.
Newport have 2 home games 1 on a Friday evening and one Sunday afternoon.
Scarlet's have just one home game with a Sunday evening kick off.

As far as match revenue is concerned not only have the Scarlet's been treated shabbily with just 1 home fixture but it is also the worst possible kick off time for gate receipts and bar sales, Whilst the Blues are handed the lucrative fixtures with the most social kick off times. Its no surprise the pattern is repeated at club level.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 13 Dec 2014, 8:58 pm

I cant understand why they don't play, I know some of the sides are involved in the B&I cup but not all so why don't those not involved can't arrange their fixtures.

After all what is wrong with them having an early kick off then in the club to watch the AIs etce that's what we use to do when I was playing.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 14 Dec 2014, 9:26 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I cant understand why they don't play, I know some of the sides are involved in the B&I cup but not all so why don't those not involved can't arrange their fixtures.

After all what is wrong with them having an early kick off then in the club to watch the AIs etce that's what we use to do when I was playing.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 14 Dec 2014, 9:40 pm

I can't believe anyone involved in NH rugby would suggest moving the 6N - that would the height of lunacy.

Then again not arranging any games during the AIs is also incredibly stupid...

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 15 Dec 2014, 6:06 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:I cant understand why they don't play, I know some of the sides are involved in the B&I cup but not all so why don't those not involved can't arrange their fixtures.

Dave,

I was listening to Scrum V on radio last week and they were discussing this topic with the coaches (I think) of Cross Keys, Newport and Bridgend, Rick O'Shea mentioned they had approached the Union for a response but hadn't recieved anything yet.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 15 Dec 2014, 8:15 am

The Great Aukster wrote:I can't believe anyone involved in NH rugby would suggest moving the 6N - that would the height of lunacy.

Then again not arranging any games during the AIs is also incredibly stupid...

Why? The only real reason it's staying there is because there is a gap in the TV market so they can get more money.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 15 Dec 2014, 9:06 am

I am torn on this, on the one hand I would hate to see the 6n moved.

However I believe for Welsh (and to a certain extent NH) rugby to be on a consistent playing level it would benefit us to move to a global season,

Have no idea how it would work tho

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Mon 15 Dec 2014, 9:39 am

The whole NH rugby set up needs to be reorganised. Its a shambles particularly in Wales

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 15 Dec 2014, 10:07 am

It's tough but the WRU and Welsh clubs must work together. As an outsider I have never felt that the WRU and Welsh clubs have got along. They need to if they are going to prevent the destruction of Welsh rugby.

For too long I have felt that Welsh rugby has been too focussed upon internationals at the detriment of the clubs. WRU's approach with the extra game has shown this time and again. Sure it boosts their coffers but damages the clubs.

The other big problem is that the WRU never put in place measures to protect their top players moving outside Wales. It would have been beneficial for Welsh international and club rugby for the policy - if you want to play for Wales you must play for a Welsh club.

Arguably too late now but the WRU should at least be more supportive to the clubs in Wales.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Mon 15 Dec 2014, 10:37 am

GavinDragon wrote:I am torn on this, on the one hand I would hate to see the 6n moved.

However I believe for Welsh (and to a certain extent NH) rugby to be on a consistent playing level it would benefit us to move to a global season,

Am I missing something? Whilst a global season might be sensible for the pro game, for the life of me I cannot see why clubs (rather than regions) cannot play rugby thoughout the season including AIs and 6N.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 15 Dec 2014, 12:01 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:I am torn on this, on the one hand I would hate to see the 6n moved.

Am I missing something?  Whilst a global season might be sensible for the pro game, for the life of me I cannot see why clubs (rather than regions) cannot play rugby thoughout the season including AIs and 6N.  

There is no reason, except the WRU want to capitalise on the audience and domestic club players and their families (or friends associates etc) are most likely to buy tickets and go for a day out, thats the only reason I can think of,

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 15 Dec 2014, 5:49 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Dave,

I was listening to Scrum V on radio last week and they were discussing this topic with the coaches (I think) of Cross Keys, Newport and Bridgend, Rick O'Shea mentioned they had approached the Union for a response but hadn't recieved anything yet.

Dodger too busy sharpening his saw, I bet.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Mon 15 Dec 2014, 8:08 pm

As Roger Lewis could not control the regions himself he has tried unsuccesfully to starve them out of existence, hopefully we will now see further change at the top of the WRU and the clubs regaining control of their own destiny without bonus orientated execs draining the game if money.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 15 Dec 2014, 9:01 pm

2ndtimeround wrote:As Roger Lewis could not control the regions himself he has tried unsuccesfully to starve them out of existence, hopefully we will now see further change at the top of the WRU and the clubs regaining control of their own destiny without bonus orientated execs draining the game if money.

Hear, hear and at least Dodger wasn't given a Porsche as a runaround. Pembrokeshire council have questions to answer I reckon. Over to you SS.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 15 Dec 2014, 10:18 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:As Roger Lewis could not control the regions himself he has tried unsuccesfully to starve them out of existence, hopefully we will now see further change at the top of the WRU and the clubs regaining control of their own destiny without bonus orientated execs draining the game if money.

Hear, hear and at least Dodger wasn't given a Porsche as a runaround. Pembrokeshire council have questions to answer I reckon. Over to you SS.

Shy of sharpening up the tongs on our pitch forks, and lighting our torches, I think Mr Parry-Jones knows how we feel about him. Although, he would be a good roll model for Dodger, pretty much hated by all those he 'represents', his self serving plans are known to be crooked by all,yet still he comes out with what he wanted.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down