The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys: Galacticos era over says boss Andrew Hore

3 posters

Go down

Ospreys: Galacticos era over says boss Andrew Hore Empty Ospreys: Galacticos era over says boss Andrew Hore

Post by Shifty Mon 29 Aug 2011, 2:09 pm

Ospreys boss Andrew Hore says they should no longer be regarded as 'Galacticos' following a culture shift after the departure of some big-names.

Mike Phillips, James Hook and Lee Byrne will play in France after their return from Wales World Cup duty.

New Zealanders Jerry Collins and Marty Holah have also departed and Hore says the team will have a fresh mindset going into the new campaign.

"It's [the team atmosphere] changed demonstratively," said Hore.

"I think potentially some of them [departed players] weren't happy because of the fact that we didn't go down a Galacticos route so it wasn't all about them.

"It was about this region and this team. So I feel we're over that hump."

Wales centre Gavin Henson also left last season, but could be on his way back to the Liberty Stadium and Hore was speaking before BBC Sport Wales revealed the player has been in talks about a possible return.

The Ospreys chief operation officer said other big names such as Jonathan Thomas, Ryan Jones and Alun Wyn Jones are there "for the good of the region" as are centre Ashley Beck and back-row recruit from Newport Gwent Dragons Joe Bearman.

New Zealander Hore, Wales' former conditioning coach, also underlined the ethos the Ospreys are trying to develop.

During pre-season the squad played Lyon at an old-fashioned club on the Swiss-French border and the players raised their own funds for a training camp in Cornwall.

Hore added: "I'm pleased to say that the Galactico's [description] gone and we're probably more representing where we're from than we ever have and having to run a race night to raise your money to go on your team trip is [an indication of that].

"We're trying to reinstate a lot of the older club values that used to be around and still are at club level.

"Why should we lose it just because players are paid?

"Being a professional is about the way you act, not necessarily what's in your bank account.

"And we've lost that in professional sport, particularly in professional rugby, I think, in Britain and we're trying hard to counter the balance."

Hore says the Ospreys' current squad is selfless, adding: "They're giving of themselves and they're not being selfish so I'm really pleased.

"It's been a quantum step and yes, that will make people uncomfortable if they don't buy into that kind of ethos.

"That's fair enough. There's other clubs that can potentially offer those people what they desire in sport and they should have every right to be happy themselves as well."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/14688315.stm
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Ospreys: Galacticos era over says boss Andrew Hore Empty Re: Ospreys: Galacticos era over says boss Andrew Hore

Post by Shifty Mon 29 Aug 2011, 2:10 pm

I only have one thing to say.... "no shít Sherlock"
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Ospreys: Galacticos era over says boss Andrew Hore Empty Re: Ospreys: Galacticos era over says boss Andrew Hore

Post by Cari Tue 30 Aug 2011, 8:16 am

Well that's cleared that up... Rolling Eyes

I always thought "the galacticos" was stupid name given by equally stupid Western Mail journos anyway. It used to pish me off to see it in an article. Thankfully it was only the local press who used it as far as I know, so I didn't see it often.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:02 am

Were Ospreys ever really galacticos?

Good to see they are going to put faith in their youngsters now though.

If Ospreys want to completely move on they should not re-sign Henson.

It will be interesting to see if the club will now kick on, particularly in Europe.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:13 am

beshocked wrote:Were Ospreys ever really galacticos?

Well.... we did sign a few Scarlets, and a few New Zealand rejects, didn't we? Ospreys: Galacticos era over says boss Andrew Hore Thanky11

and we also made this rather spiffing anthem!

Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:29 am

True Alyndavies. Hardly household names.

Also the whole "galacticos" business plan doesn't work.

Didn't work at Saracens. Isn't working at Toulon. Would you call Bath's players the new galacticos? Is Racing Metro's spending spree working? No.

The teams you should inspire to be like are Munster,Harlequins,Leinster,Northampton,Leicester,Toulouse and Clermont.

Will watch the song later but surely it can't be worse than Saracen's appalling "stand up"

What will your starting XV look like?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:45 pm

I think the basic problem is that when you promote yourself like the Ospreys have, you get all the glory hunters following you, then when a lot of your best players leave and you aren't winning trophies, they all desert and lose interest.
That leaves a lot of bitter season ticket holders, who are very suspicious of new supporters (even to the extent of trying to drive them away), and a club that doesn't have a lot of spare cash.
To be fair the Ospreys are really trying to promote themselves as a community club now, but it will take a season or two before people start thinking of the Ospreys in that light.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down