The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aaron Jarvis, Andrew Hore IRB global transfer system

+5
ScarletSpiderman
Portnoy's Complaint
maestegmafia
lostinwales
gowales
9 posters

Go down

Aaron Jarvis, Andrew Hore IRB global transfer system Empty Aaron Jarvis, Andrew Hore IRB global transfer system

Post by gowales Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:03 pm

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/index.php/featured-post/wales-set-to-blood-prop-aaron-jarvis-poached-from-england/

“There are a lot of players around the world with Welsh heritage,” Ospreys’ joint managing director Andrew Hore said. “We ask around and Aaron’s name came up two years ago. Then it was a matter of checking the information out and making sure of his Welsh qualification.

“He was playing for Bath in the English Premier A League. We followed him religiously for two years and signed him when his contract ran out. It just shows you how investing in elite player development pays off.

“We are plugging them into one of the best systems in the world which is borne out by the quality of front row forwards who have come through it. Jonathan Humphreys (forwards’ coach) deserves real credit for that.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17568661

I think a transfer fee would be good," said Ospreys operations boss Hore.
"Domestically, we could do something and internationally the NZRFU have tabled the idea of a transfer fee. It's whether the IRB [International Rugby Board] has the gumption to take on some of the fights that soccer saw when they imposed something like that.
"It still doesn't stop players going to other countries.
"Do you think French clubs are really going to worry about another 50,000 euros for that young man's development? They won't care.

Headscratch

Hypocrite much?

gowales

Back to top Go down

Aaron Jarvis, Andrew Hore IRB global transfer system Empty Re: Aaron Jarvis, Andrew Hore IRB global transfer system

Post by lostinwales Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:16 pm

He was playing for Bath in the English Premier A League. We followed him religiously for two years and signed him when his contract ran out. It just shows you how investing in elite player development pays off.

huh? let someone else invest in 'elite player development' then poach the product....

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Aaron Jarvis, Andrew Hore IRB global transfer system Empty Re: Aaron Jarvis, Andrew Hore IRB global transfer system

Post by gowales Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:20 pm

I have no problems with us selecting Jarvis myself.

But he comes across as a hypocrite here.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:20 pm

gowales wrote:http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/index.php/featured-post/wales-set-to-blood-prop-aaron-jarvis-poached-from-england/

“There are a lot of players around the world with Welsh heritage,” Ospreys’ joint managing director Andrew Hore said. “We ask around and Aaron’s name came up two years ago. Then it was a matter of checking the information out and making sure of his Welsh qualification.

“He was playing for Bath in the English Premier A League. We followed him religiously for two years and signed him when his contract ran out. It just shows you how investing in elite player development pays off.

“We are plugging them into one of the best systems in the world which is borne out by the quality of front row forwards who have come through it. Jonathan Humphreys (forwards’ coach) deserves real credit for that.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17568661

I think a transfer fee would be good," said Ospreys operations boss Hore.
"Domestically, we could do something and internationally the NZRFU have tabled the idea of a transfer fee. It's whether the IRB [International Rugby Board] has the gumption to take on some of the fights that soccer saw when they imposed something like that.
"It still doesn't stop players going to other countries.
"Do you think French clubs are really going to worry about another 50,000 euros for that young man's development? They won't care.

Headscratch

Hypocrite much?

Read the article it says he credits Jon Humphreys with the players success. Not bath RFC.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:26 pm

He was developed by Bath RFC though was he not?

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:41 pm

Where does the 50000 yoyos figure come from?
That's what? 40000 quid?

Once the overheads have been taken into account, my guess is that 40k would be a fraction of the true cost. £40k p.a. would be pushing it.

Ask Newcastle and Leeds - their bean counters should have a better idea.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:44 pm

Just to point out.

The parts that i quoted weren't highlighted for a special reason or anything.

I just wanted to include bits of each piece.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:48 pm

Personally I have no issues with where Jarvis plays and who pays him, I just hope thats a misquote, or misedit.

You could easily read it as saying that elite player development doesnt pay off at all because you've recruited someone who was under development elsewhere rather than someone you have been working on with your own system.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 01 Nov 2012, 3:04 pm

I think even if there were transfer fees they would have paid penuts for Jarvis as lets face it he was not really a star or a finished article back then.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Nov 2012, 3:52 pm

gowales wrote:He was developed by Bath RFC though was he not?

In the quote you posted Andrew Hore says he credits Jonathan Humphrey's with the progress Aaron Jarvis has made not Bath RFC.

Who are you calling a hypocrite? Andrew Hore ? or Aaron Jarvis, and if Jarvis why, what has he done other than become a better prop.

Surely, what with you being an Ospreys fan you would have seen the progress Aaron Jarivs has made since he moved to the Ospreys....?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 01 Nov 2012, 4:48 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

In the quote you posted Andrew Hore says he credits Jonathan Humphrey's with the progress Aaron Jarvis has made not Bath RFC.

Who are you calling a hypocrite? Andrew Hore ? or Aaron Jarvis, and if Jarvis why, what has he done other than become a better prop.

Surely, what with you being an Ospreys fan you would have seen the progress Aaron Jarivs has made since he moved to the Ospreys....?

Just to point out.

The parts that i quoted weren't highlighted for a special reason or anything.

I just wanted to include bits of each piece.

I'm calling Hore a hypocrite.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Nov 2012, 4:56 pm

gowales wrote:I'm calling Hore a hypocrite.

Why...?

If he in the piece you quoted says that he believes the Ospreys made Jarvis a better player, not Bath RFC.

That is not hypocritical in comparison of your other quote on Andrew Hores' interest in wanting compensation for players that are improved at the Ospreys. He very clearly believes that Aaron Jarvis is the result of the Jonathan Humphrey's work not Bath RFC's...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 01 Nov 2012, 5:03 pm

He thinks that there should be a global transfer charge.
He complains about countries taking players from other countries.
When he's done exactly the same thing with Jarvis.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 01 Nov 2012, 5:10 pm

Hore was hypocritical but not by much. Ospreys bring in a lot few players than they lose.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 01 Nov 2012, 5:11 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

MM, I've followed his quotes for a while, he certainly is not Welsh or an Ospreys supporter.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Nov 2012, 5:14 pm

gowales wrote:He thinks that there should be a global transfer charge.
He complains about countries taking players from other countries.
When he's done exactly the same thing with Jarvis.

Thats not what he says or what the Ospreys have done here...!

The Ospreys approached Jarvis when he was out of contract dwindling in the Bath A team, they took him on board as a third string prop and trained him up to be a welsh international.

Jon Humphreys did a nice piece on the Ospreys website about him, prior to the Connacht match last week. Jarvis was a youth player at Bath RFC when Humphreys was playing there. He says how he though Jarvis showed promise, then was surprised to not see it fulfilled, so he convinced the Ospreys to take a risk on signing him, under his own personal belief that he could develop him into a decent player.

Having spoken to plenty of Bath fans about Jarvis recently at the REC, they are all very surprised to see how well he has developed, they never thought he had the ability.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Nov 2012, 5:15 pm

wayne wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

MM, I've followed his quotes for a while, he certainly is not Welsh or an Ospreys supporter.

Whenever asked he always persists that he is a Welsh Ospreys fan...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 01 Nov 2012, 5:26 pm

I have it on good authority that when Steve Hansen originally brought Andrew Hore to Wales, the WRU signed off on giving him a job because they thought it was Andrew Hore the (at the time uncapped) New Zealand hooker, on the assumption he was going to live in, and subsequently qualify to play for, Wales.

On discovering that 'AH2' was actually a fitness 'guru', an embarrassed WRU abandoned the scheduled press conference.

Andrew Hore (fitness guru) may not be a hypocrite, but he does talk complete and utter nonsense. This is not just Casartelli's opinion. Justin Marshall and Jonathan Davies have both ridiculed Hore (the fitness guru)'s credentials as an 'EPD'.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Nov 2012, 5:28 pm

Casartelli wrote:I have it on good authority that when Steve Hansen originally brought Andrew Hore to Wales, the WRU signed off on giving him a job because they thought it was Andrew Hore the (at the time uncapped) New Zealand hooker, on the assumption he was going to live in, and subsequently qualify to play for, Wales.

On discovering that 'AH2' was actually a fitness 'guru', an embarrassed WRU abandoned the scheduled press conference.

Andrew Hore (fitness guru) may not be a hypocrite, but he does talk complete and utter nonsense. This is not just Casartelli's opinion. Justin Marshall and Jonathan Davies have both ridiculed Hore (the fitness guru)'s credentials as an 'EPD'.

Can't disagree with that.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 01 Nov 2012, 8:36 pm

I think everyone thinks there should be some sort of transer fee in place, either that or the IRB change their rules on qualification. It seems Andrew Hore does too. Until that happens it's not going to stop anyone (Hore included) taking advantage of it. So I don't see how or why he would be a hypocrite, unless the whole rugby world over is also a hypocrite.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 01 Nov 2012, 9:08 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Casartelli wrote:I have it on good authority that when Steve Hansen originally brought Andrew Hore to Wales, the WRU signed off on giving him a job because they thought it was Andrew Hore the (at the time uncapped) New Zealand hooker, on the assumption he was going to live in, and subsequently qualify to play for, Wales.

Can't disagree with that.
Well I can, when AH left his WRU post and went back to NZ he worked within the NZRFU as an EPD and Jiffy after his initial outburst had to apologise on Scrum V. You are telling us Cas that Steve Hansen a NZ super 15 coach didn't know when looking for a Fitness Coach thought he was going to appoint an up and coming hooker to this very important position, come back into the real world would you.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:48 am

Just for the record, Jarvis was always considered a reliable TH prop at Bath but he was young and had Bell and Stevens and one of the Ovens brothers ahead of him. A couple of years older and stronger, with some game time has clearly brought him on. Will watch with interest on his imminent Test debut.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down