The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 10 No 10's in world rugby

+27
Comfort
disneychilly
whocares
Dontheman2
fa0019
GunsGerms
wayne
The Great Aukster
Rugby Fan
The Saint
Golden
doctor_grey
Taylorman
Poorfour
aucklandlaurie
Pot Hale
Sgt_Pooly
BigTrevsbigmac
majesticimperialman
gavstar
emack2
rainbow-warrior
bedfordwelsh
Bullsbok
Biltong
LondonTiger
blackcanelion
31 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Top 10 No 10's in world rugby Empty Top 10 No 10's in world rugby

Post by blackcanelion Sat 6 Dec - 8:56

Wales online have posted their top 10 flyhalves in the world right now (top flyhalves):
1. Sexton (Ire)
2. Foley (Aus)
3. Carter (NZ)
4. Bigger (Wal)
5. Cruden (NZ)
6. Barrett (NZ)
7. Sanchez (Arg)
8. Lopez (Fra)
9. Cooper (Aus)
10. Pollard (SA)

Discuss.....

Last edited by blackcanelion on Sat 6 Dec - 21:23; edited 2 times in total

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Top 10 No 10's in world rugby Empty Re: Top 10 No 10's in world rugby

Post by LondonTiger Sat 6 Dec - 9:01

Discuss....

Two Barrett's one being Welsh?
Carter is best 10 in NZ?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 6 Dec - 9:21

Yeah, I find that hilarious.

No Lambie and the junior player of the year Pollard at ten.

BUt again, these lists are subjective, I'll keep Lambie and Pollard, regardless of their "international" rating.

Pollard was the 10 of the RC, played one game in the wet in Ireland and automatically relegated to 10.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sat 6 Dec - 11:55

Completely agree:

Carter: I'm a hue fan and he may be back to form next year, but 3rd on the basis of 2 half games when he looked rusty as.
Pollard agreed.
Lambie's worth a shout
Foley, really?
Slade probably gets a look in.
Bigger, above all those others?
Do none of the English guys even get a look in the top 10?

the list goes on. Obviously opinions are what they are.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sat 6 Dec - 12:06

Dan Biggar number 4? Really now. No Lambie , Slade ? Carter played two games and he was rusty as hell
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 6 Dec - 12:08

Biggar on the back of one great game, Carter at 3 after how long out injured and hardly any real game time? Really
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 6 Dec - 12:40

Carter's day is done, injury prone and overtaken by better now.

Biggar deserves his number.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 6 Dec - 12:51

Colin Slade currently is as good as any 10 in the world,Carters death is premature.
Cruden on form would be one with Slade as the goal kick option my NZ backline
IF Carter is indeed finished A.Smith.Cruden,Nonu,Conrad Smith,BenSmith,Savea,
Slade at 15

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Sat 6 Dec - 13:26

biggars great performance has come on the back of excellent form for ospreys, superb points kicker ( most forget that as halfp does it )
also he has shown a tough mental attitude. being ignored for priestland when rp was dire and dan was on form, being the only welsh player left out of the lions after taking the team all the way in the 6ns. and more so turning the hook supporters at the liberty, a feat in itself.
I think he's only 24 now so it has certainly been a case of adversity making you stronger. that outstanding performance had " I'm still here, now tell me i'm not good enough "all over it
and i'm sure he is not worried about a top ten place. being no1 for wales was his goal this year, done.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 6 Dec - 13:28

blackcanelion wrote:Wales online have posted their top 10 flyhalves in the world right now (top flyhalves):
1. Sexton (Ire)
2. Foley (Aus)
3. Carter (NZ)
4. Barrett (Wal)
5. Cruden (NZ)
6. Barrett (NZ)
7. Sanchez (Arg)
8. Lopez (Fra)
9. Cooper (Aus)
10. Pollard (SA)

Discuss.....

I find it hard to believe that their is no Johnny Wilkinson.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 6 Dec - 13:39

Since Wilkinson is retired hardly do we drag in Merthens,Spencer,Larkham.Nick Evans
Charlie Hodgeson too?

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sat 6 Dec - 13:41

gavstar wrote:biggars great performance has come on the back of excellent form for ospreys, superb points kicker ( most forget that as halfp does it )
also he has shown a tough mental attitude. being ignored for priestland when rp was dire and dan was on form, being the only welsh player left out of the lions after taking the team all the way in the 6ns. and more so turning the hook supporters at the liberty, a feat in itself.
I think he's only 24 now so it has certainly been a case of adversity making you stronger. that outstanding performance had " I'm still here, now tell me i'm not good enough "all over it
and i'm sure he is not worried about a top ten place. being no1 for wales was his goal this year, done.

When was this great perfomance , i'm hearing all about it but dont actually remember what game .
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 6 Dec - 13:52

Bullsbok wrote:
gavstar wrote:biggars great performance has come on the back of excellent form for ospreys, superb points kicker ( most forget that as halfp does it )

When was this great perfomance , i'm hearing all about it but dont actually remember what game .

When he helped sink your team. I thought he was consistently very good throughout the series. I can't see who was better apart from (insert ABs 10), Sexton, Foley. Admittedly, I didn't thoroughly watch more games than my own. Who else was better?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sat 6 Dec - 13:57

The Saint wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:

When he helped sink your team. I thought he was consistently very good throughout the series. I can't see who was better apart from (insert ABs 10), Sexton, Foley. Admittedly, I didn't thoroughly watch more games than my own. Who else was better?

I'd have said that game was won by Leigh Halfpenny's boot , brilliance and defiance really .Biggar certainly defended well i'll give him that much . Lambie played better vs England was decent enough v Italy although did not do himself any favours v Wales.
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 6 Dec - 14:06

If you think Biggar didn't put in a great performance all because he didn't kick then perhaps you don't understand much about tactical play. He stepped up in defence too. If you're doubting his goal-kicking then I suggest you check his percentage over the last 3 years.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sat 6 Dec - 14:10

The Saint wrote:If you think Biggar didn't put in a great performance all because he didn't kick then perhaps you don't understand much about tactical play. He stepped up in defence too. If you're doubting his goal-kicking then I suggest you check his percentage over the last 3 years.

Sigh.. you're talking to someone who's supports a club that had Morne Steyn at 10 for club and country.Have no fear i know enough about tactical play, and if I didnt SA media has always been there to point it out to justify Steyns selection over the years. I merely thought a flyhalf "great" perfomance is judged on how he controls the backline and puts people into space, creates tries, tactical kicking to be sure .
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 6 Dec - 14:36

Bullsbok wrote:
The Saint wrote:If you think Biggar didn't put in a great performance all because he didn't kick then perhaps you don't understand much about tactical play. He stepped up in defence too. If you're doubting his goal-kicking then I suggest you check his percentage over the last 3 years.

Sigh.. you're talking to someone who's supports a club that had Morne Steyn at 10 for club and country.Have no fear i know enough about tactical play, and if I didnt SA media has always been there to point it out to justify Steyns selection over the years. I merely thought a flyhalf "great" perfomance is judged on how he controls the backline and puts people into space, creates tries, tactical kicking to be sure .

So why didn't your half back steer you to victory?
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sat 6 Dec - 14:44

rainbow-warrior wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:

So why didn't your half back steer you to victory?

Because they played shyt.
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 6 Dec - 16:11

Bullsbok wrote:

I think this just shows you didn't pay any attention to his game. He wasn't voted our player of the series for nothing.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 6 Dec - 16:19

Well I saw Biggar at Franklin gardens & I'm watching him today & Myler looks better than him & he is probably 3rd/th in England's pecking order.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 6 Dec - 16:21

Strange list, is this on form or quality?

Carter wouldn't be in either list right now, he's not performed at 10 for a while now. Cruden would be higher, Barrett lower. Lambie would be top 5 and wtf is Bigger doing in the top 4??? Crazy.

Sexton is the only one they've got right.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sat 6 Dec - 16:30

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Strange list, is this on form or quality?

Carter wouldn't be in either list right now, he's not performed at 10 for a while now. Cruden would be higher, Barrett lower. Lambie would be top 5 and wtf is Bigger doing in the top 4??? Crazy.

Sexton is the only one they've got right.

Hard to argue with that assessment , have to admit i didnt rate Sexton that high before the AIs. Then he dismantled the Wallabies and Boks . Safe to say i know better now .
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 6 Dec - 16:55

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Well I saw Biggar at Franklin gardens & I'm watching him today & Myler looks better than him & he is probably 3rd/th in England's pecking order.

Myler is behind a poor form Farrell, Biggar is better than both right now.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 6 Dec - 16:57

One and two on the list is pretty accurate. Unless anyone thinks otherwise?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 6 Dec - 17:02

Pollard
Foley
Sanchez
Barrett Nz
Sexton
Biggar
Ford
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 6 Dec - 17:04

Form wise possibly Saint, Foley was the best FH in Super rugby by some distance imo but I'd take Cruden above him.

I don't think Myler's ranking in the England pecking order relates to his form for Saints. SL is extremely loyal, Farrell should have been nowhere near the England set-up this season if his form this season is taken into consideration.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 6 Dec - 17:05

Pot Hale wrote:Pollard
Foley
Sanchez
Barrett Nz
Sexton
Biggar
Ford

Pollard the best FH in the world yet he can only play in one hemisphere? Interesting call there......

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 6 Dec - 17:08

Also interesting that Biggar was MOTM and Trev has gone quiet... Wink

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sat 6 Dec - 17:10

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
Foley
Sanchez
Barrett Nz
Sexton
Biggar
Ford

Pollard the best FH in the world yet he can only play in one hemisphere? Interesting call there......

Not the best by a long shot , but does bring an interesting point . If its based on perfomances in both hemispheres ie all year round not just AIs then i;d give the best flyhalf to Foley this year followed by whoever the All blacks happen to be playing at 10 at any given moment Very Happy
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 6 Dec - 17:10

emack2 wrote:Since Wilkinson is retired hardly do we drag in Merthens,Spencer,Larkham.Nick Evans
Charlie Hodgeson too?

emack.

So who is the Barret that plays for Wales? I have never heard of him.

What team does he play for?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 6 Dec - 17:10

Foley
Sanchez
Barrett Nz
Sexton
Biggar
Ford

Is that in any perticular order? I would have Sexton at worst as No2 in World right now.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 6 Dec - 17:30

Reading the article, we have "Barrett only coming to the fore when he was moved to fullback and making way for Slade".

Which somewhat suggests that Barrett is a better fulback than 1st 5 8th, and further that perhaps Colin Slade should be on the list as well?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 6 Dec - 18:16

A Barrett playing for Wales you`ve got me there never heard of him but I did`nt
make the list.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 6 Dec - 18:28

It's meant to be Bigger at 4

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 6 Dec - 19:44

majesticimperialman wrote:
emack2 wrote:Since Wilkinson is retired hardly do we drag in Merthens,Spencer,Larkham.Nick Evans
Charlie Hodgeson too?

emack.

Charlie Hodgson would be in the top 10 if it were club fly halves, but never brought it consistently to international level. Nick Evans did have it at international level, and isn't retired, just playing somewhere where the ABs won't pick him. And he's still at least as good as half the players on that list.

IF the list is based on the most recent series, I think it's OK that there are no English players on the list. Farrell is out of form, and Ford has only started two games. But by the same token, it seems a bit odd that Carter and Biggar should be on the list despite dubious form and only intermittently good international, respectively.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 6 Dec - 20:11

Cruden easily for me. Versus England and Oz at Eden Park layed better than any 10 this year, including Pollards one good test and Sextons AI's who gets a good year by not playing the AB's- a side he's not capable of having a good outing against...at least yet.

If anything Barrett has proved he's not a starting 10 so the lower on the list as possible for me if it means hes not going to get selected there again.
Of the AI's yes agree with Sexton.

More than happy with Cruden, Slade and I believe Ihaia West will figure strongly next year should the wheels of fortune (injury etc) go his way.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 6 Dec - 20:52

Poorfour wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:
Charlie Hodgeson too?

emack.

Charlie Hodgson would be in the top 10 if it were club fly halves, but never brought it consistently to international level. Nick Evans did have it at international level, and isn't retired, just playing somewhere where the ABs won't pick him. And he's still at least as good as half the players on that list.

IF the list is based on the most recent series, I think it's OK that there are no English players on the list. Farrell is out of form, and Ford has only started two games. But by the same token, it seems a bit odd that Carter and Biggar should be on the list despite dubious form and only intermittently good international, respectively.

I thougt Biggar was good all autumn series for Wales. I wouldn't put him at 4th on that list, but I think he played well in all 3 games, not intermittently. I can't speak for Carter as I didn't see him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 6 Dec - 21:33

Taylorman wrote:Cruden easily for me. Versus England and Oz at Eden Park layed better than any 10 this year, including Pollards one good test and Sextons AI's who gets a good year by not playing the AB's- a side he's not capable of having a good outing against...at least yet.

If anything Barrett has proved he's not a starting 10 so the lower on the list as possible for me if it means hes not going to get selected there again.

More than happy with Cruden, Slade and I believe Ihaia West will figure strongly next year should the wheels of fortune (injury etc) go his way.

Taylor, that's a very dismissive opinion of Sexton. He's had more than just a good AI, he's been constantly brilliant for a number of years. Just because he's never hit these heights against NZ doesn't mean he's a lesser player, I'm not Irish by the way.

I'd have Sexton as a standout and the rest battling it out behind. Cruden for all his impressive performances for the Chiefs over the years has never looked overly at home in the black jersey (bar a 20min cameo against Ireland 2 years ago). I feel like Hansen can't wait for Carter to come back and claim the jersey as none of the other candidates have cemented their place.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 6 Dec - 21:46

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Cruden easily for me. Versus England and Oz at Eden Park layed better than any 10 this year, including Pollards one good test and Sextons AI's who gets a good year by not playing the AB's- a side he's not capable of having a good outing against...at least yet.

Taylor, that's a very dismissive opinion of Sexton. He's had more than just a good AI, he's been constantly brilliant for a number of years. Just because he's never hit these heights against NZ doesn't mean he's a lesser player, I'm not Irish by the way.

I'd have Sexton as a standout and the rest battling it out behind. Cruden for all his impressive performances for the Chiefs over the years has never looked overly at home in the black jersey (bar a 20min cameo against Ireland 2 years ago). I feel like Hansen can't wait for Carter to come back and claim the jersey as none of the other candidates have cemented their place.

well you missed the matches versus England and Eden park versus oz. There is no way you could say Sexton played better this year in any match than Cruden did then. different level of play in the way the 10 role should be played. And I'm only dismissive because of the number of times hes played the ABs and either failed or been benign. The mere fact that he performs better against non AB sides confirms that he's onlygood against lesser opposition.

Many players feature highly against the ABs...Sexton just isn't one of them. I agree he's a great player, its just every time I see him playing well, the opposition isn't in black.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 6 Dec - 22:02

I've seen all of Cruden's Int games this year, similar with Sexton and can safely say Sexton has performed on a different level.

Sexton getting nominated for the IRB player of the year (the only FH) is surely an indication he's been the best 10 this year? I think the nominations were done prior to the AI's? (I may be wrong)

I'm an England fan and have no bias to Sexton, he's just a bloody good player. Cruden is a top 10 no doubt and would be top 5 or maybe top 3, he's just not at Sexton's level.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 6 Dec - 22:14

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I've seen all of Cruden's Int games this year, similar with Sexton and can safely say Sexton has performed on a different level.

Sexton getting nominated for the IRB player of the year (the only FH) is surely an indication he's been the best 10 this year? I think the nominations were done prior to the AI's? (I may be wrong)

I'm an England fan and have no bias to Sexton, he's just a bloody good player. Cruden is a top 10 no doubt and would be top 5 or maybe top 3, he's just not at Sexton's level.

Your opinion pooly, thats fine. He didn't play the ABs this year so thats understandable also. He did last year, and choked a simple kick where others performed well. He was also poor on the tour in 2012. So as I said, this year he get's the nomination, albeit without facing a black jersey. Until he does that he falls short.

Cruden is still yet to play a losing test since being a sub in the already lost 2012. His absence this year has been telling. No one has yet outplayed him on the field...Sexton included.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 6 Dec - 22:26

Haha...fair enough Taylor, I just don't rate Cruden that highly at International level. I've never watched him play and thought "that was a top performance", were it's a regular thing with Sexton and pre injuries Carter.

I can't recall all the NZ games but I'd be surprised if I didn't think Cruden had been outperformed this year, I don't think he's had a top game in a black jersey for a while. He did have a breathtaking 20mins against Ireland a few years back, he looks a much better player with SBW outside him imo.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 6 Dec - 22:39

Why is Nick Evans name not on that list? Surely he has to be number 1/2 on that list?

Why is Carter on the list when he as been injured for about 12/18 months now? or at least it seems that long.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 6 Dec - 22:42

Nick Evans is a long way past his best, he had a good end to the season just gone but isn't at the levels he was hitting in 2012, he would be lucky to make a top 20.

Carter played 12 for the latter part of of the S15 season just gone.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 6 Dec - 22:47

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Haha...fair enough Taylor, I just don't rate Cruden that highly at International level. I've never watched him play and thought "that was a top performance", were it's a regular thing with Sexton and pre injuries Carter.

I can't recall all the NZ games but I'd be surprised if I didn't think Cruden had been outperformed this year, I don't think he's had a top game in a black jersey for a while. He did have a breathtaking 20mins against Ireland a few years back, he looks a much better player with SBW outside him imo.

this years been a bit weird and he cost his season by not boarding the plane to SA. Ive seen Sexton play well for Leinster and Ireland and he did very well versus the boks but even then my reaction was...geez he never does that against us. So theres definitely a chip in his mind for the AB's and I think its a case of they know how to rattle him. It seems certain players pick the right mindset to be in for the ABs.

Adam Ashley cooper is one of them, O'Driscoll, Lawes, Hartley, Genia, Habana, JDV, Hooper, Vermulens amongst others always seem to get it right. Sexton, Morne Steyn, Halfpenny are amongst those who never seem to get it right but play well elsewhere. Next year might be the year he undoes that. He's good enough and his side is getting better with him. I think we'll get our answer nbext year.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 6 Dec - 22:49

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Haha...fair enough Taylor, I just don't rate Cruden that highly at International level. I've never watched him play and thought "that was a top performance", were it's a regular thing with Sexton and pre injuries Carter.

As far as I know, Sexton has never missed a flight. Surely he gets credit for that????

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 6 Dec - 22:54

doctor_grey wrote:

As far as I know, Sexton has never missed a flight.  Surely he gets credit for that????

yep he does doc...its just the kicks he misses. I mean crudens so good a kicker he even gets them when he misses them! (Cue Ireland last year)... thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sat 6 Dec - 22:59

Taylorman wrote:

this years been a bit weird and he cost his season by not boarding the plane to SA. Ive seen Sexton play well for Leinster and Ireland and he did very well versus the boks but even then my reaction was...geez he never does that against us. So theres definitely a chip in his mind for the AB's and I think its a case of they know how to rattle him. It seems certain players pick the right mindset to be in for the ABs.

Adam Ashley cooper is one of them, O'Driscoll, Lawes, Hartley, Genia, Habana, JDV, Hooper, Vermulens amongst others always seem to get it right. Sexton, Morne Steyn, Halfpenny are amongst those who never seem to get it right but play well elsewhere. Next year might be the year he undoes that. He's good enough and his side is getting better with him. I think we'll get our answer nbext year.

Morne Steyn ? 31 point haul v All blacks Steyn?
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 6 Dec - 23:02

Taylorman wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

As far as I know, Sexton has never missed a flight.  Surely he gets credit for that????

yep he does doc...its just the kicks he misses. I mean crudens so good a kicker he even gets them when he misses them! (Cue Ireland last year)... thumbsup
thumbsup thumbsup

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 6 Dec - 23:11

The Saint wrote:Also interesting that Biggar was MOTM and Trev has gone quiet... Wink

Welsh pundit gives welsh player man of the match shocker.

Welsh website puts Biggar 4th best FH in world shocker.

Saint talking spheres shocker Smile

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next