The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 10 No 10's in world rugby

+27
Comfort
disneychilly
whocares
Dontheman2
fa0019
GunsGerms
wayne
The Great Aukster
Rugby Fan
The Saint
Golden
doctor_grey
Taylorman
Poorfour
aucklandlaurie
Pot Hale
Sgt_Pooly
BigTrevsbigmac
majesticimperialman
gavstar
emack2
rainbow-warrior
bedfordwelsh
Bullsbok
Biltong
LondonTiger
blackcanelion
31 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Top 10 No 10's in world rugby - Page 3 Empty Top 10 No 10's in world rugby

Post by blackcanelion Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:56 am

First topic message reminder :

Wales online have posted their top 10 flyhalves in the world right now (top flyhalves):
1. Sexton (Ire)
2. Foley (Aus)
3. Carter (NZ)
4. Bigger (Wal)
5. Cruden (NZ)
6. Barrett (NZ)
7. Sanchez (Arg)
8. Lopez (Fra)
9. Cooper (Aus)
10. Pollard (SA)

Discuss.....

Last edited by blackcanelion on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Top 10 No 10's in world rugby - Page 3 Empty Re: Top 10 No 10's in world rugby

Post by LordDowlais Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:14 pm

whocares wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Comfort wrote:Do people not think Biggar is in the top 10 of flyhalves in the world?

Ignoring the list.

I think he is the best in the UK, still behind Sexton, and behind some of the Southern Hemisphere stars in France, but he is deffo the best in Wales, England and Scotland.

do you mean Giteau? cant see anyone else. Goosen has been good as well but hasnt started many games.

Giteau was the first one that sprang to mind yes. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:19 pm

Think it's a pretty average period for FHs tbh - they're all much of a muchness. Even NZ are struggling a bit. Sexton's a bit ahead in the NH, then the rest are all fairly similar - nothing to brag about anyway.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:27 pm

Was this list voted for by its select few readers or by the staff at WalesOnline?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:36 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
whocares wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Comfort wrote:Do people not think Biggar is in the top 10 of flyhalves in the world?

Ignoring the list.

I think he is the best in the UK, still behind Sexton, and behind some of the Southern Hemisphere stars in France, but he is deffo the best in Wales, England and Scotland.

do you mean Giteau? cant see anyone else. Goosen has been good as well but hasnt started many games.

4 AI matches ago Biggar was barely treading water and now he's the best in the UK! Funny how a good game changes the opinions. I'd like to see him move on from his bok performance and have a good year. World class, na, not yet. Its not about having your day as we all know. Top 10... well given their are only 12 serious rugby nations out there and say 30 fly halves playing top class rugby I would hope for Wales' sake he is close but it doesn't really say much. Personally I think you need a good flyhalf to win a world cup, but not a great one. Where you need greatness is in other departments. A good flyhalf will allow his star players to play.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:39 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Was this list voted for by its select few readers or by the staff at WalesOnline?

They're pretty much one in the same!

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:41 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Farrell & perhaps Ford are better than Bigger. Farrell certainly is, Ford needs to be tested out at Int level a little more.

At his best I'd like to think Farrell is, but right now all bets are off. As you say to early to make a judgement on Ford.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:42 pm

fa0019 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
whocares wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Ignoring the list.

4 AI matches ago Biggar was barely treading water and now he's the best in the UK! Funny how a good game changes the opinions. I'd like to see him move on from his bok performance and have a good year. World class, na, not yet. Its not about having your day as we all know. Top 10... well given their are only 12 serious rugby nations out there and say 30 fly halves playing top class rugby I would hope for Wales' sake he is close but it doesn't really say much. Personally I think you need a good flyhalf to win a world cup, but not a great one. Where you need greatness is in other departments. A good flyhalf will allow his star players to play.

Tide turns very very quickly. Before the bok game Gatland was under pressure with growing calls for his job thanks to his dismal record against the SH . Post Bok game he's the best man to lead Wales to a world cup Victory Very Happy
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:49 pm

I do not think Gatland is our best chance for world cup victory, I think we will do well to get out of our group, the winner for my liking will not come from our group, England, Aus or Wales will be to fooked by the time any of them get out of their group.

Back on Biggar, I suggest you take a look at his stats before you go saying how he needs to prove himself on the international stage, even when we won the last 6N he was not first choice, it took an injury to Preistland for him to play, and against France he ran the show, that's how long he has been proving himself for, he just needs a decent chance, and he is now forcing Gatlands hand, he is not first choice for Wales because of Gatland, he is first choice becuase he is making Gatland pick him because of his performances for the Ospreys.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:08 pm

fa0019 wrote:4 AI matches ago Biggar was barely treading water and now he's the best in the UK! Funny how a good game changes the opinions.

Thats just straight up nonsense.

Webb and Biggar have been winning games for the Osreys all season (Im a blues fan).

Biggar ousted James Hook from the Ospreys what, 4 years ago? And has been the best flyhalf in Wales consistently since. Its only been Gatlands love affair with Priestland thats seen the shocking inconsistancy in Biggar being selected for Wales. You'll find that the majority of welsh rugby fans have been calling for Biggar to start for Wales for the last 3 years. We won the 6nations under Rob Howley pre-Lions tour with Biggar at the helm, he made gamechanging contributions in all of the games that season and has been pretty consistently good since when selected.

He was part of the touring squad that got beat out in Japan, but 1 guy cant win a team game with an amateur as a coach and 4th choice players/academy players.

One good game picard

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:24 pm

I've only seen him play one good game though the names been around for years. Cream normally rises sooner or later so this is definitely a later example of that if Biggar is in fact the real deal.

But to rate a player amongst the top 10's the player must have regularly performed against most of the top rugby nations. Club form is zip on this list. I rate Ihaia West higher han Biggar and you've probably never heard of him but I wouldnt put him near this list despite him championship winning form in NZ. Because he hasnt tested himself against those on this list. Neither has Biggar.

Same with Gitau. He left the Int scene 3-4 years ago because he couldn't cut the top grade. Now we are suppose to believe he merits this list all these years later by playing for some club in France.? please...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:32 pm

Comfort wrote:
fa0019 wrote:4 AI matches ago Biggar was barely treading water and now he's the best in the UK! Funny how a good game changes the opinions.

Thats just straight up nonsense.

Webb and Biggar have been winning games for the Osreys all season (Im a blues fan).

Biggar ousted James Hook from the Ospreys what, 4 years ago? And has been the best flyhalf in Wales consistently since. Its only been Gatlands love affair with Priestland thats seen the shocking inconsistancy in Biggar being selected for Wales. You'll find that the majority of welsh rugby fans have been calling for Biggar to start for Wales for the last 3 years. We won the 6nations under Rob Howley pre-Lions tour with Biggar at the helm, he made gamechanging contributions in all of the games that season and has been pretty consistently good since when selected.

He was part of the touring squad that got beat out in Japan, but 1 guy cant win a team game with an amateur as a coach and 4th choice players/academy players.

One good game picard

Playing well in the Rabo hardly equates to being the best in the NH.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:35 pm

Exactly Taylor, club form means little, especially Rabo club form.

He would receive some kudos for playing well in the HC/CC but it's not International level. Bigger is a decent FH but he's proved nothing to suggest he's at the level of Sexton or even Farrell tbh.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:48 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Exactly Taylor, club form means little, especially Rabo club form.

He would receive some kudos for playing well in the HC/CC but it's not International level. Bigger is a decent FH but he's proved nothing to suggest he's at the level of Sexton or even Farrell tbh.

And even then its about being consistent at that level...(consistency...the ultimate goal in any sport). At the moment Sexton is probably the only 10 around who fits that bill. I know all the SH 10's are all over the place. NZ's partially due to Hansens little dabbling with them all.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:57 pm

Taylorman wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:Exactly Taylor, club form means little, especially Rabo club form.

And even then its about being consistent at that level...(consistency...the ultimate goal in any sport). At the moment Sexton is probably the only 10 around who fits that bill. I know all the SH 10's are all over the place. NZ's partially due to Hansens little dabbling with them all.

Nicholas Sanchez, no hype but very very solid flyhalf who's been quietly increasing the threat of the Pumas backline
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:41 pm

Bullsbok wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

Nicholas Sanchez, no hype but very very solid flyhalf who's been quietly increasing the threat of the Pumas backline  

Yep, was thinking of Sanchez as I wrote that actually. Don't think he's getting the exposure he should, probably because of the losses and forwards based efforts, but they're certainly getting better with Sanchez there.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:30 am

Allow the RABO, I dont rate it as a league truth be told.

But dismissing the fact hes won the 6nations with Wales as the starting flyhalf throughout the series? And coming on the back of a dismal period for Wales when we lost what, about 9/10 games in a row. Biggar came in at 10 for the 6nations and after a disasterous team performance i nthe 1st half against Ireland, he steered us to a 6nations title with Rob Howley in Gatlands place.

Its not just 1 good game hes had, thats the thing. He's had a number of good games at test level for Wales. His best was undoubtedly throughout this AI series, but to say hes only had 1 good game is dismissive and shows a lack of knowledge regarding said player and his achievements.

To me, he certainly belongs in the current top 10, but not the top 5.

My current Top 5 would be Sexton/Cruden/Foley/Pollard/Sanchez in no particular order.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:00 am

Yeah I agree on Biggar. He is a good player. Definitely the best 10 in Wales. Very dependable IMO but possibly a little uninspirational. How often does he win games other than perhaps with the boot?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3