The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

+67
Dr Shoe
gw
wisden
Hero
mikey_dragon
greengoblin
Alistair
Holymiky
Blade
Enforcer
hornbloweroafc
ShockmasterV2
Hammersmith harrier
profitius
MichaelT
Jermaine2015
Geordie
Knowsit17
President Trump
jimmyinthewell68
Hoggy_Bear
MIG
SecretFly
Simon West
Azzy
ONETWOFOREVER
dummy_half
compelling and rich
lfc91
RinoGattuso
bluestonevedder
Mind the windows Tino.
SirJohnnyEnglish
RuggerRadge2611
nadeem2099
Dr Gregory House MD
Nakatomi Plaza
The Beast
The_Enigma
hampo17
Bull
kingraf
Gwlad
trottb
Rowley
guildfordbat
Duty281
westisbest
Ent
JDizzle
Mike Selig
superflyweight
Breadvan
Crimey
The Saint
Mad for Chelsea
Soldier_Of_Fortune
seanmichaels
Galted
rIck_dAgless
TRUSSMAN66
Mr Bounce
Derbymanc
Stella
Pete330v2
incontinentia
Adam D
71 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 9 Empty The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Adam D Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Quite enjoyed rec 3 although it's not really much to do with the first 2 films.

If it had been a standalone film, I think the critical response would have been better. For me it was really entertaining.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 9 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by President Trump Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:58 pm

I thought Manhunter was much better than Red Dragon and Brian Cox was a fantastic Lecter

President Trump

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 9 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Adam D Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:58 pm

Watched 22 Jump street which lived up to the law of diminishing returns on sequels. Too tongue in cheek and almost like Police Squad at times (unintentionally I might add).

Half way through Planet Terror which I am enjoying immensely.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:04 pm

Northern Soul, usual coming of age stuff, but if you like the music I dare say you'll enjoy it well enough. Don't know how accurate an evocation of the era it is, I'm only a wee slip of a lad.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:12 pm

Finished watching The Homesman...bit of a shocker halfway through and it petered out in the end leaving me dis-satisfied and not caring too much what happened to the remaining characters.

I think I'm all about closure at the minute. Did it work out in the end? Did they live? Did they die? Did they get away? Did they get caught? No time for all this "I wonder if..." malarky

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:41 pm

Watched.... The Warriors.......For about the 100th time the other night..

Wonderful film with that great ending on the beach with "In the City" blasting out....

Shame there wasn't a sequel...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:48 am

Finished watching Planet Terror yesterday.

Fun film and Rose McGowan was smoking hot in it.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:10 pm

Watched Enders game last night.

Thought it was fantastic. Havent read the books but will be looking them out now.

The actor playing ended was Incredible in my opinion. One of th b St scI fi films I have seen in years.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:44 pm

I liked Ender's Game, didn't think it was fantastic but it I thought the book wasn't film-able. The book is one of my favourites, the sequels take a huge change of direction but they're still good, Ender's Game is the best though.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:46 pm

The reviews on IMDb are either love or hate depending on whether you have read the books.

Going to go and buy them this weekend now.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:44 pm

Watched Edge of Tomorrow last night. Pretty good sci-fi with a quite ingenious twist (although nothing really new if you've seen Groundhog Day). Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt give pretty good performances. Last twenty minutes is a bit silly, as is the end. Overall though, a pretty good movie.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:32 pm

Crimey wrote:I liked Ender's Game, didn't think it was fantastic but it I thought the book wasn't film-able. The book is one of my favourites, the sequels take a huge change of direction but they're still good, Ender's Game is the best though.

I still haven't seen the film for the simple fact that I didn't think it would get anywhere close to the books quality. Loved the book(s), although like you say the books change direction after the first one but still good.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:27 am

Watched the new Fast And Furious, and it delivers on what the franchise has promised so far. Fast cars, humour and action.

Had a nice send off for Paul Walker at the end as well which was a great touch.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:55 pm

watched birdman last night after hearing good things ,thought it was cack. weird and didnt make much sense at points. been a much better film without all that flying nonsense. seemed to be stuck between two ideas and ended up not making sense as a film

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:30 pm

The Iron Giant, absolutely tremendous film

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:42 pm

Secret Life Of Walter Mitty - what an epic sh1tfest.  Veered away from the short story on which it's based as soon as possible and turned into a overly-sentimental pile of never-ending excrement, charmless mishmash of crap humour attempts, pointless action scenes and an even more pointless world tour.

Should add that it was embarrassingly predictable though impossible to predict that it could be this bad.

It gets 3 points for containing shots of Iceland.

3/10

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:30 am

Calvary

A good story, beginning and ending with a threat of murder to a local priest. Some fine performances, though most of the characters were unpleasant, which isn't that believable.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:40 pm

The Humbling - based on Philip Roth novel (never a great start) Al Pacino plays an aging actor(!!!!) who fears he's lost his mojo/craft and swan dives off the stage face first. He ends up spending 30 days in a rehabilitation centre and upon his return home, embarks on a relationship with the 30 something daughter of an old friend who spend the previous 16 years in a lesbian relationship. Pacino fears he's imagining much of it at times

Touching, bizarre and quite funny in parts (especially when Pacino is trying to ward off the woman he met in rehab whose husband molested their daughter and she now wants Pacino to kill him saying he'd be perfect seeing as how he once played a killer in a film)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:58 pm

3 to talk about this week so I shall keep it relatively brief:

Insurgent. The follow-up to Divergent (effectively the Hunger Games without the food issue written by someone else) pretty much follows on from the first film and invokes an angry looking Kate Winslet waging war on Divergents and sending out the Parkour-obsessed Dauntless to track them down. There's dream sequences, new characters and double-crossing galore. It's pretty much as expected but it's not a bad film. Very clearly set up for the final part of the trilogy though. 6.5/10

Pompeii. Mrs B got this for her birthday (something to do with Kit Harrington in Gladiator gear), and I thought it would be worth watching. It is not a very good film. The storyline (not the volcano bit) is pretty weak, Kit Harrington is smelling the fart most of the way through it and Emily Browning as the "love interest" is so bland that dear Kit may well have been talking to greenscreen. Talking of a love interest, the unintentional man-love between Harrington and his gladiator friend is hilarious, especially if you add in the fact that they've both obviously been lubed up with baby oil. However, the really funny bits involve Kiefer Sutherland and Carrie-Anne Moss and their accents. Kiefer doesn't seem to know what his accent should be, and it becomes a weird hybrid between Sean Connery, John Le Mesurier from Dad's Army and Senator Palpatine from the Star Wars films. Carrie-Anne Moss just can't do "English". I doubt she'll be in any costume dramas!
The film may be pretty terrible but the effects are fantastic; and of course there are plenty of dead people at the end to satisfy the bloodthirsty. 4.5/10

Fast and Furious 7. Oh my. What a pile of utter garbage. But it's a good kind of garbage. Fast cars! Coaches! Planes! Helicopters! Buildings! Bikinis! Explosions! Guns! Computers! Wrenches! Really stupid storyline! Vin Diesel attempting to emote! The Rock being large and pumped! Statham being Statham! Obvious computer-generated stunts! Unscrew brain before watching I implore you. 5/10

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:26 pm

Just watched a million ways to die in the west.

Better than I thought it was going to be. The scenes with the random deaths were very good. 6/10

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:33 pm

Had quite a marathon the night before last.

Godzilla (2014)
Misery
Pan's Labyrinth

Had already seen the latter two so knew they were very good films.

Really enjoyed Godzilla too. An actual decent American reboot. A return to the original model following the infamous 1998 film and the classic concept of monster vs monster. I felt like jumping up and cheering madly when the titular character used its characteristic atomic breath.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:30 pm

It was awful like every American remake.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:35 am

Knowsit17 wrote:Had quite a marathon the night before last.

Godzilla (2014)
Misery
Pan's Labyrinth

Had already seen the latter two so knew they were very good films.

Really enjoyed Godzilla too. An actual decent American reboot. A return to the original model following the infamous 1998 film and the classic concept of monster vs monster. I felt like jumping up and cheering madly when the titular character used its characteristic atomic breath.
Whereas I felt like screaming, "Why the f*ck didn't you do that in the first place instead of fighting for days, causing trillions of dollars worth of damage and killing untold numbers of innocent people in the process...you c*nt!"

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:33 pm

Big Hero 6. Brilliant, funny, emotional, funny. Had a cracking time and both kids loved it.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:35 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Big Hero 6. Brilliant, funny, emotional, funny. Had a cracking time and both kids loved it.

OK
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:04 pm

Now You See Me.

Unbelievably dreadful film featuring an unbelievably stupid twist.

3/10

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:22 am

Galted wrote:Now You See Me.

Unbelievably dreadful film featuring an unbelievably stupid twist.

3/10

Agree. It was trying so hard to be clever.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:57 am

Watched Pans Labyrinth yesterday, feckin' brilliant!

Aliens the day before. Great film
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:58 am

El Infierno. A mexican film about a guy who gets mixed up in the cartels, with inevitably unpleasant results. Really enjoyed it, quite funny if you have a dark sense of humour and ridiculously violent in patches.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:03 am

Tinker Bell and the Secret of the Wings - it was OK I suppose, few plot holes that frustrated me and absolutely no dead/mutilated fairies which lost it a fair few points

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:18 am

Watched Weekend At Bernies for the first time in 15 years yesterday. Still parts of that film which make me cry with laughter.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:21 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Tinker Bell and the Secret of the Wings - it was OK I suppose, few plot holes that frustrated me and absolutely no dead/mutilated fairies which lost it a fair few points

God Dave, get it right. It's 'Tinker Bell: Secret of the Wings' you philistine. 

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:04 pm

hampo171 wrote:Watched Weekend At Bernies for the first time in 15 years yesterday. Still parts of that film which make me cry with laughter.
OMG! Blast from the past, I forgot that film existed!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:50 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Tinker Bell and the Secret of the Wings - it was OK I suppose, few plot holes that frustrated me and absolutely no dead/mutilated fairies which lost it a fair few points

God Dave, get it right. It's 'Tinker Bell: Secret of the Wings' you philistine. 
Sorry mate, have had to endure five of the frickin things recently and am struggling to keep track. Must have confused it with the one about the Neverbeast

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:47 pm

Interstellar-Very good. Loved the organ music in some scenes which added to the whole atmosphere of the film. It went a bit strange with the all the fifth dimension/time relative gravity stuff when MM ended up behind his daughters bookcase. The interaction and with the robots was a good change in direction to the usual pereption of future AI...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:17 pm

Porco Rosso yesterday, my little lad was glued to it (still don't understand why he was a pig though)

And Ponyo today, absolutely love that film although as the daughter puts it 'It's good Dad and i liked it, but it is a bit weird' Smile

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:32 am

I went to see Home yesterday with my 2 youngest, we all enjoyed it, it's not the best thing to come out of DreamWorks but they really know how to get the emotions going

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:00 am

Tried watching Birdman for what must be the fifth time but it's quite obvious I just cannot bare the movie. Single takes are all well and good but sometimes too much of a good thing can be it's own ruination. It's simply not for me and shall remain my great unwatched.

Last edited by Pete330v2 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:54 pm

Sleepy Hollow, still a great film. That's what you usually get when Tim Burton and Danny Elfman team up (The Nightmare Before Christmas anyone?).

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:20 pm

John Wick, a good old revenge flick that doesn't get bogged down in over complex stories or OTT special effects. Thoroughly enjoyed

Fast and furious 7 - felt too long, and while the action and stunts are what you'd expect from the series, I didnt really enjoy like I had the others, think a lot of people may have been blinded by the Paul Walker influence to give this movie some of the reviews it has had. granted there was a nice little montage at the end of Walker which was a fitting send off.....that was until they blatantly copied and pasted him into an extra scene behind the wheel of a car

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:24 pm

Before that scene, gaz. His brother must be a short guy because it was extremely noticeable. I did love the send off though, but it's left me wondering what the film would be like if they didn't have to alter it.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:34 pm

gazzyD wrote:John Wick, a good old revenge flick that doesn't get bogged down in over complex stories or OTT special effects. Thoroughly enjoyed

Fast and furious 7 - felt too long, and while the action and stunts are what you'd expect from the series, I didnt really enjoy like I had the others, think a lot of people may have been blinded by the Paul Walker influence to give this movie some of the reviews it has had. granted there was a nice little montage at the end of Walker which was a fitting send off.....that was until they blatantly copied and pasted him into an extra scene behind the wheel of a car
Had my doubts when I saw Reeves' name attached but I agree completely. Good old kickass film

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:58 pm

The Saint wrote:Sleepy Hollow, still a great film. That's what you usually get when Tim Burton and Danny Elfman team up (The Nightmare Before Christmas anyone?).

I don't much like Tim Burton's work but Sleepy Hollow and Ed Wood are notable exceptions and Sleepy Hollow is one of my favourite films, maybe not top 20 but definite top 50.  Haven't read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow but the film maintains the same creepiness and slight silliness of the cartoon version and doesn't haven't to resort to shock or slapstick (except for the silly house in the woods scene which added phuck all).  The casting was perfect as is the build-up to the scenes with the horseman.  Wouldn't quite say that Christopher Walken stole the show as he had little screen time and, I think, no lines but he was excellent.

Watched Young Adult last night.  Pretty dire, not as bad as some of the crap I've seen recently but would not recommend.  Bit of a story by numbers, recently divorced shallow woman goes back to hometown to win back childhood sweetheart.  It doesn't get as sickly sweet as it could have but was poorly written and forgettable.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:29 pm

Ed wood is one of my favourite all time films.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:08 pm

Galted, you didn't even like Tim Burton's two Batman films?! Not really heard of Ed Wood, but I know Edward Scissor-hands...jeez that was a weird film.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:30 pm

Don't really enjoy superhero films, Saint (apart from the first Superman though I was about 7 or 8 when it came out) so I  reserve judgement on the Burton Batmans (which I have seen).  Ed Wood is brilliant, if you're familiar with sh1tty 50s B-films (Ed Wood's Plan 9 From Outer Space being the height/nadir whichever way you look at it) then it's a must-see.  Very sympathetic treatment of an incompetent but enthusiastic film icon.

Burton tries a bit hard to be weird and crazy, Edward Scissorhands and Beetejuice sum him up - don't hate them but don't have any plans to watch either again even though they feature Winona Ryder.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:31 pm

watched a couple recently:

The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies.

So finally got around to wrapping up the Hobbit trilogy. Thought it was all a bit meh, overall. First third of the movie (first 45 minutes or so) I thought flowed pretty nicely.
Spoiler:

Then it rather drags on for the next half-hour or so
Spoiler:

Then comes the battle itself, and Jackson generally does very well at those. This one is generally very good, with a few slightly silly bits
Spoiler:

And once the battle is finished, I'm sorry, but it just drags on again. I know Tolien likes to wrap his books up nicely and all, but this is the moment where you'd like to see film writers use a bit more creative licence. Reminded me of the third film of the LOTR franchise, and not in a good way.

So overall an uneven film, with some bits I really liked, and others much less so. Would give it a solid 6/10.

Also watched John Wick. A thoroughly enjoyable revenge film, as stated above. The action sequences are superbly done. A couple of things bugged me though
Spoiler:

All in all though, a very watchable film, not trying to be too clever, and an entertaining way to spend a couple of hours. 7.5/10

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:00 am

Galted wrote:
Burton tries a bit hard to be weird and crazy, Edward Scissorhands and Beetejuice sum him up - don't hate them but don't have any plans to watch either again even though they feature Winona Ryder.

I can see what you mean, and I'm not really into his most recent work. With Corpse Bride he tried to create another masterpiece and failed IMO. You can also tell which is his work from a mile off, always that music and dark chill to the film. I took to the Batman movies and the Nightmare Before Christmas at a very young age though, so I'll always be a fan.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:43 am

Edward Scissorhands is brilliant
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:50 am

MforC...John Wick's motive is the fact that the dog represented the last connection to his dead wife and a chance to live a "normal" life. When that was taken from him, he was always going to go back to being who he was.

I can see it now though, Keanu Reeves asks the director "Like, what's my motivation in this scene uh man?" Director has embolism on the spot.

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:37 pm

X men: Days of future past. Loved it. Probably my favourite film in the franchise!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next