The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

+67
Dr Shoe
gw
wisden
Hero
mikey_dragon
greengoblin
Alistair
Holymiky
Blade
Enforcer
hornbloweroafc
ShockmasterV2
Hammersmith harrier
profitius
MichaelT
Jermaine2015
Geordie
Knowsit17
President Trump
jimmyinthewell68
Hoggy_Bear
MIG
SecretFly
Simon West
Azzy
ONETWOFOREVER
dummy_half
compelling and rich
lfc91
RinoGattuso
bluestonevedder
Mind the windows Tino.
SirJohnnyEnglish
RuggerRadge2611
nadeem2099
Dr Gregory House MD
Nakatomi Plaza
The Beast
The_Enigma
hampo17
Bull
kingraf
Gwlad
trottb
Rowley
guildfordbat
Duty281
westisbest
Ent
JDizzle
Mike Selig
superflyweight
Breadvan
Crimey
The Saint
Mad for Chelsea
Soldier_Of_Fortune
seanmichaels
Galted
rIck_dAgless
TRUSSMAN66
Mr Bounce
Derbymanc
Stella
Pete330v2
incontinentia
Adam D
71 posters

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 13 Empty The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Adam D Sat 01 Nov 2014, 9:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Quite enjoyed rec 3 although it's not really much to do with the first 2 films.

If it had been a standalone film, I think the critical response would have been better. For me it was really entertaining.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 13 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by hornbloweroafc Wed 17 Jun 2015, 2:01 pm

Watched The Equaliser with Denzel Washington. Great film, sit down and switch off and enjoy type of movie.
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 13 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by The Saint Wed 17 Jun 2015, 2:36 pm

Anyone else think The Equaliser was a bit too predictable? John Wick and Run All Night were similar, but I thought they were much better films.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Wed 17 Jun 2015, 4:05 pm

Nope. Denzel films are always gripping. One of the finest actors of the modern era.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Jun 2015, 4:07 pm

The Saint wrote:Anyone else think The Equaliser was a bit too predictable?

love denzel films, but this one disappointed me. kind of turning into a liam neeson type now, just him killing loads of people & looking untouchable.

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Wed 17 Jun 2015, 4:51 pm

I love most of Denzel's film but I must admit it did fell like a Taken type film.
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 17 Jun 2015, 5:27 pm

Generally getting a bit bored with the ageing hard man genre. Watched Run All Night the other night, just felt I'd seen it all so many times in recent times.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 17 Jun 2015, 5:48 pm

liam neason is shocking now, every film is basically taken but a bit crapper

didnt mind equaliser buts its basically man on fire which he has already done and was much better i might add, if its a rip off of something its that not taken.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Jun 2015, 5:52 pm

jurassic world

If i can bring myself to watch it a couple more times i may learn to like ot, but after one viewing i wasnt impressed.

Whythey try to cover up the second DNA strain i dont know, especially when it was always going to be unoriginal enough to be nothing other than a t rex and raptor. The child actors are annoying, maybe even moreso than Tim in the first movie (seriously what was the point in him)

Bryce dallas howard is annoying as well, theres a scene were she is solely responsible for the deaths of an entire security team despite the one person who she should be listening to (chris pratt) telling her to pull them out

I was dubious about the whole 'pratt training a team of raptors' thing but didnt actuallymind how it was done, the other characters idea for the raptors though was so ridiculously stupid it was laughable

Original score and special effects were some of the only highlights for me, but if i can get past the characters and ideas that annoyed me and watch it for what it is, a piece of entertainment i may come round, but i dont see that happening any time soon.

This isnt the sequel that the origonal deserves as some have said, jurassic park 2 was probably as goodas this, well until his daugher kicks that raptor in the face and the whole thing went from bad to worse

Last edited by gazzyD on Wed 17 Jun 2015, 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 17 Jun 2015, 5:55 pm

Denzel doesn't suit these 'one-man army' roles IMO. I prefer him in movies like The Hurricane, Remember the Titans, Training Day and Flight.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 6:04 pm

Why did Denzel have to die in Training Day? Such a sad ending when the respectable crooked cop gets killed.
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Jun 2015, 7:28 pm

Rowley wrote:Generally getting a bit bored with the ageing hard man genre

I'm pretty sure Equaliser 2 has been given the go-ahead for early 2017, so you better get ready for some more Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 17 Jun 2015, 7:52 pm

The Saint wrote:Denzel doesn't suit these 'one-man army' roles IMO. I prefer him in movies like The Hurricane, Remember the Titans, Training Day and Flight.

Was thinking exactly the same thing; his films are either really good or brainless shooters; would add American Gangster and Man on Fire to the very good list, do need to get round to watching Glory and Malcolm X which are both meant to be good.

Back on topic though, I rewatched Field of Dreams last night and was left with the same sense of not knowing if I enjoyed it or not that I had when I first watched it many years ago. I do struggle with any film that James Earl Jones is in to be honest, when I hear his voice I see Darth Vader not him and it must be very rare for any actor to be more well known for his voice than his appearance.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 17 Jun 2015, 8:12 pm

On the subject Of DW.

Thought The Inside Man was good.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 17 Jun 2015, 8:21 pm

Watched The Sting last night, glad I finally did so.  Was a fun two hours but found it a little predictable, perhaps pre-Usual Suspect audiences were less prone to ruin films for themselves by expecting a twist of some sort.  Even so it wasn't dependent on the ending (which didn't undermine the rest of the story in any way) and can be enjoyed for the story and the performances but I did think it was more suited to being an episode of a tv series than a film.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 17 Jun 2015, 9:20 pm

Jurassic World.

Didn't want to go see it but herself wanted to see something.

Typical hollywood film really. Looks great with a bland storyline and fightscenes that drag on.

profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 17 Jun 2015, 9:44 pm

Rubbish then? I know a few people that have said opposite but I generally know a lot of people that aren't very bright. I remember first seeing the trailer a long time ago and taking a dislike to it... It seems like they're doing what's already been done by the genius that is Spielberg, and the sequels to his movie. And wtf is the befriending of raptors all about?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 17 Jun 2015, 9:47 pm

Oh well back on topic... I watched Drive last night, well most of it. I actually thought it was alright from what I saw, but I'm a fan of the car chase and shoot em up genre in general in case you couldn't tell.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 17 Jun 2015, 10:36 pm

Galted wrote:Watched The Sting last night, glad I finally did so.  Was a fun two hours but found it a little predictable, perhaps pre-Usual Suspect audiences were less prone to ruin films for themselves by expecting a twist of some sort.  Even so it wasn't dependent on the ending (which didn't undermine the rest of the story in any way) and can be enjoyed for the story and the performances but I did think it was more suited to being an episode of a tv series than a film.

I enjoy the Sting, the presence of Robert Shaw is something I always consider a plus for any film, likewise Newman. There is no great twist, but for one of them double cross, con trick films it does not demand you're completely undivided attention and does not take itself too seriously.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 17 Jun 2015, 10:49 pm

Rowley wrote:
Galted wrote:Watched The Sting last night, glad I finally did so.  Was a fun two hours but found it a little predictable, perhaps pre-Usual Suspect audiences were less prone to ruin films for themselves by expecting a twist of some sort.  Even so it wasn't dependent on the ending (which didn't undermine the rest of the story in any way) and can be enjoyed for the story and the performances but I did think it was more suited to being an episode of a tv series than a film.

I enjoy the Sting, the presence of Robert Shaw is something I always consider a plus for any film, likewise Newman. There is no great twist, but for one of them double cross, con trick films it does not demand you're completely undivided attention and does not take itself too seriously.
"Twist" is probably an exaggeration but I did find it quite obvious what was happening before the climax unfolded.  Partly my own fault for leaving it for so long before watching the film and perhaps expecting too much.  I'll probably watch it again though, might be more enjoyable second time round.  Would add Redford to the plus for any film.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 18 Jun 2015, 7:46 am

Lucy- Very strange one. Similar concept to limitless, only taking the idea a hell of a lot further in terms of the potential once you unlock more and more of your brain. Enjoyed it in parts, but in other parts it was just, as i've already mentioned, strange.

Overall- 5.5/10. The average sci-fi fan out there (such as myself) probably won't regret watching it. Plus it is a very short film so no harm there..

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 18 Jun 2015, 11:48 am

Finally I got to see Mad Max Fury Road, boy was that a disappointment. I will be sticking to the originals of which I'm a lifelong fan. There was the chance to improve upon them yet the whole thing felt naive and diluted somehow. Perhaps the movie makers are afraid of shocking audiences these days. Thumbs down from me.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Jun 2015, 12:37 pm

The Saint wrote:Denzel doesn't suit these 'one-man army' roles IMO. I prefer him in movies like The Hurricane, Remember the Titans, Training Day and Flight.
Denzel is bad-ass (and not in a sh!t Danny Trejo/Danny Glover old men kicking ass way...) Loved the scene in The Equalizer when he dispatches the room full of bad guys, checks his watch afterwards and is slightly disappointed by how long it took him.

I fully expect the sequel to be on a par with Taken 2 despite the fact that the producers should have seen/heard/read the flax that Taken 2 received and take steps to avoid repeating that mistake.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 18 Jun 2015, 12:57 pm

Galted wrote:
Rowley wrote:

"Twist" is probably an exaggeration but I did find it quite obvious what was happening before the climax unfolded.  Partly my own fault for leaving it for so long before watching the film and perhaps expecting too much.  I'll probably watch it again though, might be more enjoyable second time round.  Would add Redford to the plus for any film.

... and Charles Durning. On second viewing you'll probably notice the bit where Redford's character puts a blood capsule in his mouth before the final confrontation.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 18 Jun 2015, 1:07 pm

Sin City 2 - A Dame to Die for - Don't know why I watched this film as I didn't like the first film Like going back for more with someone you've previously had disappointing sex with. However, as is the case with disappointing sex, at least I didn't pay for it. There is a fair bit of nudity but it's mostly Eva Green and she's always getting them out. On a scale of sh1te to pretty decent (with sh1te being sh1te and pretty decent being pretty decent) I rate it as sh1ite.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 18 Jun 2015, 7:40 pm

Memento last night, the concept and execution were both unique while Pearce was superb; thoroughly enjoyed it, the overall storyline wasn't the greatest but having two different time patterns moving towards the climax made you think which is rare for many films this century.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Thu 18 Jun 2015, 9:17 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Memento last night, the concept and execution were both unique while Pearce was superb; thoroughly enjoyed it, the overall storyline wasn't the greatest but having two different time patterns moving towards the climax made you think which is rare for many films this century.

I've only seen the bollywood ripoff Ghajini which was ok at best.
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Jun 2015, 12:15 pm

Can't believe people still haven't seen MEMENTO...saw it when it came out on general release. I think it's fantastic. There's rumoured to be a version on DVD that allows you to play the film in the "correct" sequence however, anyone caught doing so should be shot in the face...with a cannon!

Watched "Run All Night". I rarely have the time or inclination to watch anything requiring thought and effort these days so this was right up my alley. As others have said, nothing we haven't seen a dozens of times before but it passed a couple of hours during downtime.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 19 Jun 2015, 12:28 pm

Finally saw Layer Cake the other night. Loved it, apart from the ending.

I've never seen Memento. On my film bucket list.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Jun 2015, 12:41 pm

There's an alternate ending for Layer Cake

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 19 Jun 2015, 12:43 pm

DAVE667 wrote:There's an alternate ending for Layer Cake

There is?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Jun 2015, 1:02 pm

Stella wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:There's an alternate ending for Layer Cake

There is?
Yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 19 Jun 2015, 1:11 pm

Daniel and Sienna drive off into the sunset?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Jun 2015, 1:50 pm

Yeah...I preferred to original one though!

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 21 Jun 2015, 9:13 am

Hamlet 2 with Steve Coogan.

The first half of the film was quite slow and by the numbers but as it built up to the actual performance of the show, the film really got in its stride. The play itself looked ridiculously brilliant with songs like "r*** my face" and "rock me sexy Jesus" being the highlights.

Coogan plays the role better but for some reason it felt as if he was doing an impression of Steve Carrell throughout.

Overall I would give it a 6 or 7 out of ten (5 for first half and a 8 for the last twenty minutes)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Sun 21 Jun 2015, 5:29 pm

Watched The Big Lebowski for the first time last night in mission to watch the films I've been saying for years that I need to watch.

Really enjoyed it, was a little apprehensive after recently watching Fargo and being a little underwhelmed. That was more to do with the hype various friends had given it I think though.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Jun 2015, 10:50 am

Big Lebowski is one of the few films I've watched that I genuinely didn't want to end. It's right up there on my list of all time favourites and for me, the best Coen Brothers film.

Watched "Get Hard" - knew what I was letting myself in for as I was in one of those moods (the one where you're happy to watch crap). Sporadically funny but horribly dated at the same time. Are we really still laughing at rich white guys being afraid of working class black guys? If so, let's just remake "Trading Places" shall we?

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Tue 23 Jun 2015, 1:14 pm

50 Shades of Grey - 7/10

Having watched some absolute turd films recently (Anchorman 2, Les Mis) this was nowhere near as bad as I expected it to be. 6/10 for the sax dungeon, 1/10 for Rita Ora. I was disappointed at how low the girl's pain threshold was.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Tue 23 Jun 2015, 1:27 pm

I was disappointed at how low the girl's pain threshold was.

Laugh You would say that wouldn't you.
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Tue 23 Jun 2015, 1:31 pm

Spoiler:

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Jun 2015, 1:35 pm

Azzy wrote:50 Shades of Grey - 7/10

Having watched some absolute turd films recently (Anchorman 2, Les Mis) this was nowhere near as bad as I expected it to be. 6/10 for the sax dungeon, 1/10 for Rita Ora. I was disappointed at how low the girl's pain threshold was.
Azzy you complete and utter c*nt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to endure that film with my wife whilst I was off work sick. It was absolutely dreadful. Utter drivel of the highest order. Hilariously bad dialogue, zero chemistry between the leads, less than zero sex appeal from the female lead. The fact this author has written four books and no-one has shot her in the face serves only to demonstrate that women on the whole are f*cking stupid creatures who should never be allowed access to computers or keyboards for anything other than secretarial work.

For proof that this film was sh!t, my own wife f*cking hated it and said it was even worse than the book...which she also hated. Given my wife loves sh!t like Grease ,Annie and Oliver, this is damning criticism.

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Tue 23 Jun 2015, 1:36 pm

Azzy wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoken by a true S&M expert Laugh
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Azzy Tue 23 Jun 2015, 3:03 pm

I aim to please.

Azzy

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 23 Jun 2015, 4:05 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Azzy wrote:50 Shades of Grey - 7/10

Azzy you complete and utter c*nt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to endure that film with my wife whilst I was off work sick. It was absolutely dreadful. Utter drivel of the highest order. Hilariously bad dialogue, zero chemistry between the leads, less than zero sex appeal from the female lead. The fact this author has written four books and no-one has shot her in the face serves only to demonstrate that women on the whole are f*cking stupid creatures who should never be allowed access to computers or keyboards for anything other than secretarial work.  

For proof that this film was sh!t, my own wife f*cking hated it and said it was even worse than the book...which she also hated. Given my wife loves sh!t like Grease ,Annie and Oliver, this is damning criticism.

I agree with all that Dave put, I was actually laughing at how bad the script was

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 23 Jun 2015, 4:25 pm

I really want to know why Dave doesn't work for Empire magazine.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 23 Jun 2015, 11:56 pm

Jurassic World.

Simply brilliant! OK if you want objective analysis you could argue that the main storyline takes a bit too long to get going and actually feels a little unnecessary, that there are a few plotholes along the way, but this is not a film that should be analysed objectively, rather on an emotional level. What it does magnificently is recapture the magic of the original film from 22 years ago, and takes you right back to those magical moments. It's undoubtedly a fan film (i.e. the director is a huge fan of the original), and it works because of that.. Can't remember the last time I enjoyed a trip to the cinema so much. So screw it, I'm going 10/10.

Spoiler:

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 24 Jun 2015, 2:43 am

I watched Rainman recently for the first time in 20 years. It was like watching it new because I don't remember much about it when I last watched it in my youth.

I really enjoyed it. Dustin Hoffman is superb in it. The story is good and it has its funny moments too. It has a typical 80s feel to it with the soundtrack etc.

I also watched Raiders of the Lost Ark. Good film and one for the family. Harrison Ford is very good as Indiana Jones and there is good action scenes. Its always up there in greatest film lists and doesn't disappoint. Only negative for me was some scenes dragged on a bit... or maybe I

The Saint wrote:Rubbish then? I know a few people that have said opposite but I generally know a lot of people that aren't very bright. I remember first seeing the trailer a long time ago and taking a dislike to it... It seems like they're doing what's already been done by the genius that is Spielberg, and the sequels to his movie. And wtf is the befriending of raptors all about?

Not rubbish but it just didn't do it for me. It looks great and has some good moments but its very hollywood. The first film was good because it was an original.

Befriending the raptors was silly and not only that they go from being extremely dangerous to humans to turning on their own kind to help the humans out. The giant dinosaur thought up a prison break plan to escape which was impressive especially making himself invisible to sensors. The highly trained agent, Jason Bourne, would have been proud of that escape.  

There was also a military guy there for some reason, who was high up in the military despite being an idiot. You had the cliche of the Asian genius and not forgetting the romance that blossoms as the film goes on. You have the overacting sulking teenager who doesn't seem to be that interested that theres a T-Rex a few feet away... as if its an everyday thing to see!

Half the film seemed to be them fleeing with 50 tonne dinosaurs snapping at their arses but don't worry, they all make it out alive.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by ShockmasterV2 Wed 24 Jun 2015, 9:09 am

Watched Interstellar last night and it's one of the best films i've watched in a long time. Storyline wise it keeps you thinking and i was unable to predict any glaring plot advances (SPOILER - except for the Matt Damon part). Visually, a truly wonderful film!
ShockmasterV2
ShockmasterV2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 24 Jun 2015, 12:48 pm

profitius wrote:
Not rubbish but it just didn't do it for me. It looks great and has some good moments but its very hollywood. The first film was good because it was an original.

Befriending the raptors was silly and not only that they go from being extremely dangerous to humans to turning on their own kind to help the humans out. The giant dinosaur thought up a prison break plan to escape which was impressive especially making himself invisible to sensors. The highly trained agent, Jason Bourne, would have been proud of that escape.  

There was also a military guy there for some reason, who was high up in the military despite being an idiot. You had the cliche of the Asian genius and not forgetting the romance that blossoms as the film goes on. You have the overacting sulking teenager who doesn't seem to be that interested that theres a T-Rex a few feet away... as if its an everyday thing to see!

Half the film seemed to be them fleeing with 50 tonne dinosaurs snapping at their arses but don't worry, they all make it out alive.

I've watched it since and I'll have to agree with you. I enjoyed it for a little while, but I think that was just me getting all nostalgic. It was fairly predictable and just an unnecessary re-hash of the first movie. I would go into more detail but you've kinda covered it. These add-ons are never any good unless the original director is on board.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Jun 2015, 1:44 pm

Duty281 wrote:I really want to know why Dave doesn't work for Empire magazine.
Got sacked after saying I'd rather there be more paedophiles roaming the streets than have Adam Sandler be allowed to make another film

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 24 Jun 2015, 6:32 pm

watched jurassic world last night and its fairly average. lets face it were all watching it for dinosaurs running around and eating people and it does that in bucket loads. you just have to ignore everything else. it has some of the cheesiest lines around

spoiler:

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next