The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

+67
Dr Shoe
gw
wisden
Hero
mikey_dragon
greengoblin
Alistair
Holymiky
Blade
Enforcer
hornbloweroafc
ShockmasterV2
Hammersmith harrier
profitius
MichaelT
Jermaine2015
Geordie
Knowsit17
President Trump
jimmyinthewell68
Hoggy_Bear
MIG
SecretFly
Simon West
Azzy
ONETWOFOREVER
dummy_half
compelling and rich
lfc91
RinoGattuso
bluestonevedder
Mind the windows Tino.
SirJohnnyEnglish
RuggerRadge2611
nadeem2099
Dr Gregory House MD
Nakatomi Plaza
The Beast
The_Enigma
hampo17
Bull
kingraf
Gwlad
trottb
Rowley
guildfordbat
Duty281
westisbest
Ent
JDizzle
Mike Selig
superflyweight
Breadvan
Crimey
The Saint
Mad for Chelsea
Soldier_Of_Fortune
seanmichaels
Galted
rIck_dAgless
TRUSSMAN66
Mr Bounce
Derbymanc
Stella
Pete330v2
incontinentia
Adam D
71 posters

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 16 Empty The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Adam D Sat 01 Nov 2014, 9:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Quite enjoyed rec 3 although it's not really much to do with the first 2 films.

If it had been a standalone film, I think the critical response would have been better. For me it was really entertaining.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 16 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 07 Sep 2015, 2:19 pm

American Sniper is a horrendous film mainly because it's based around someone who can loosely be deemed a sniper, he was in reality nothing more than a hitman who had to put up with none of the demands of a true sniper.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 16 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by seanmichaels Mon 07 Sep 2015, 3:56 pm

Rowley wrote:San Andreas, nonsense, noisy nonsense, but nonsense all the same. TSMR seemed to enjoy it though. She is a reasonably undemanding sort though (feel free to insert your own punchlines here, I've set you up for them)

Sounds awesome. And it stars The Rock.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 07 Sep 2015, 4:14 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:American Sniper is a horrendous film mainly because it's based around someone who can loosely be deemed a sniper, he was in reality nothing more than a hitman who had to put up with none of the demands of a true sniper.

I didn't go into the film knowing the demands of a true sniper so enjoyed it.
Would calling it American Hitman have made it a better watch for you?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 07 Sep 2015, 4:16 pm

I have a fundamental issue with the hero status of Chris Kyle and find it far too American to portray such a person as hero for doing nothing at all heroic.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 07 Sep 2015, 4:23 pm

Didn't a number of US soldiers state that they would be dead if it wasn't for him? Unless you're speaking from the stance that there was nothing heroic at all during that pointless war (which is a sensitive subject and perhaps irrelevant here).

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 07 Sep 2015, 4:38 pm

That's all a debate for a different time and place but the general hero worship in some American war films I find quite uncomfortable and for me glorifies something quite horrific.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 07 Sep 2015, 7:50 pm

Fair enough. I agree to an extent, but they still make some good movies.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Tue 08 Sep 2015, 11:53 am

saw the new mission impossible film the other night, was fantastic...Simon Pegg as usual was fantastic in it

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 08 Sep 2015, 12:54 pm

Bobby Fisher against the World - finally watched it following jeff's recommendation - very good documentary of a brilliant bell-end.

Word's End - sh1te.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 08 Sep 2015, 12:56 pm

world's end could have been bloody good. Could have been!!!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:00 pm

It was a decent premise badly executed. It was like they got bored about a quarter of the way in and thought - f*ck it, let's just make a bad version of Shaun of the Dead.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:04 pm

superflyweight wrote:It was a decent premise badly executed.  It was like they got bored about a quarter of the way in and thought - f*ck it, let's just make a bad version of Shaun of the Dead.    

A recurrent theme in Simon Pegg movies. 'Hmmm, I forgot this is a movie and not a sketch show...... hmmm, sixty five more pages to fill......'

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:07 pm

superflyweight wrote:Bobby Fisher against the World - finally watched it following jeff's recommendation - very good documentary of a brilliant bell-end.  

Glad you enjoyed it Superfly, he is the living embodiment of the oft repeated theory there is a fine line between genius and mentalist. He is certainly the former and about nine tenths the latter.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:08 pm

Side Effects - Difficult to review it properly as I fell asleep 23 minutes in. But it has Jude Law in it so I imagine the rest of it was sh*te.

Mrs Windows watched the whole thing and said - "It was excellent".

But she is Canadian so her opinion on tv and film doesn't count.

The 23 minutes I saw have scored a rather depressing *4.8895 on the Tino Scale of Cinematic Excellence.

*before Hammersmith pisses in his pants, I don't know anything about pharmaceutical companies and/or the different side effects of anti-depression drugs so feel free to dock 0.887 off the score for inaccuracies.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 09 Sep 2015, 12:48 am

"*before Hammersmith pisses in his pants, I don't know anything about pharmaceutical companies and/or the different side effects of anti-depression drugs so feel free to dock 0.887 off the score for inaccuracies."

Mind the windows Tino, that's why you get the legend badge!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 09 Sep 2015, 8:53 pm

Side Effects - difficult to review it properly as I spent the first 23 minutes in Tino's cupboard waiting for him to fall asleep and could only hear the dialogue.  Spent the remainder of the film humping Mrs Windows so didn't really follow it too closely, she did make me proud by telling me my performance was excellent so the film wasn't a complete waste of time, though she did clarify the situation by admitting that Julius is better and that Tino isn't so bad himself, "when he can be arsed to remove the Next jumper and matching socks".

Would give the film 4/10 on the Tino Scale of Cinematic Achievement and Mrs Windows 7.885 on the Tino Scale of Carnal Adequacy.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 10 Sep 2015, 8:34 am

Galted wrote:Side Effects - difficult to review it properly as I spent the first 23 minutes in Tino's cupboard waiting for him to fall asleep and could only hear the dialogue.  Spent the remainder of the film humping Mrs Windows so didn't really follow it too closely, she did make me proud by telling me my performance was excellent so the film wasn't a complete waste of time, though she did clarify the situation by admitting that Julius is better and that Tino isn't so bad himself, "when he can be arsed to remove the Next jumper and matching socks".

Would give the film 4/10 on the Tino Scale of Cinematic Achievement and Mrs Windows 7.885 on the Tino Scale of Carnal Adequacy.

At least someone is getting it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 11 Sep 2015, 8:47 am

Rowley wrote:San Andreas, nonsense, noisy nonsense, but nonsense all the same. TSMR seemed to enjoy it though. She is a reasonably undemanding sort though (feel free to insert your own punchlines here, I've set you up for them)

Two hot chicks though Wink Very Happy

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 11 Sep 2015, 8:49 am

greengoblin wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Finally got to watch the Gary Oldman version of tinker, tailor, solider , spy.

Whilst its very slow as I expected, I still enjoyed the movie.

Have you see the bbc miniseries? It's so much better than the film, and in my opinion the best series I have seen on TV. I thought the film was very rushed and needlessly unfaithful to the book.  There are 7 half hour episodes so you get a lot more than you do in the film, and the tremendous Alec Guinness was born to play George Smiley. I just wish they produced stuff like that nowadays instead of the likes of the god awful tommy and tuppence.

Ill make a point f getting them and watching it.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:07 pm

Just watched Horrible Bosses 2.

Thought it was pretty poor.
Not as good as the first.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 11 Sep 2015, 10:50 pm

There Will Be Blood, it is a tour de force yet again from Day Lewis who stands head and shoulders above all other current actors, from very early on with no indication from the storytelling you can see the relentless desire and murderous intent from just his eyes. The story and themes whilst impressive are secondary to his performance and the performance of the unhinged corrupt pastor, it's spellbinding quite frankly.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 12 Sep 2015, 2:23 am

Legend - I enjoyed it. Tom Hardy was great portraying two persona's, though relatives of the Kray twins might not agree with it. Good movie.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Sep 2015, 10:11 am

There will be blood was horrendously boring. Incredibly slow & tedious throughout, with an awfully dreadful plot. The thing I hate with DDL, is that he's such a good actor, everything else is irrelevant & gets lost. 

Like all typical Hollywood/Oscar nominations, it was a disappointment as a film.

Back to top Go down

Post by gw Mon 14 Sep 2015, 1:09 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:American Sniper is a horrendous film mainly because it's based around someone who can loosely be deemed a sniper, he was in reality nothing more than a hitman who had to put up with none of the demands of a true sniper.
I'm intrigued, what are the "true demands of a sniper"?

I thought the film was decent, I'd give it 7/10.

gw

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 14 Sep 2015, 1:35 pm

John wrote:There will be blood was horrendously boring. Incredibly slow & tedious throughout, with an awfully dreadful plot. The thing I hate with DDL, is that he's such a good actor, everything else is irrelevant & gets lost. 

Like all typical Hollywood/Oscar nominations, it was a disappointment as a film.
I agree, thought it was very disappointing.

I watched "The Blade" recently. The preview caption said it was lauded by Quentin Tarantino, and was on a list of the best 50 action movies ever. I didn't think it was great. Also it was awfully dubbed in ridiculous accents.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by gw Mon 14 Sep 2015, 1:42 pm

Last film I watched was Scarface. Controversial maybe but I thought it was utter crap.

gw

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Mon 14 Sep 2015, 2:56 pm

What did you not like about it?
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by gw Mon 14 Sep 2015, 3:06 pm

I dont really know, just yhe whole film, very predictable, maybe I was expecting too much with all the hype about it.

gw

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Mon 14 Sep 2015, 3:10 pm

I don't particularly think unpredictability is one of the qualities Scarface was going for but hey ho. Each to their own.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by gw Mon 14 Sep 2015, 3:24 pm

Maybe not, but then what was it going for? I didn't really see any we qualities to be honest?

gw

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Mon 14 Sep 2015, 3:41 pm

Epicness?!
I see it as a great rise and fall film.
A guy that goes from the bottom to the top purely from having the balls to do whatever it takes. Then when he achieves what he sets out for he probably still isn't happy. Then its taken away from him again. Did you not even like the end?!
Its a really cool film imo and most others. But of course its never going to be everyones cup of tea.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by gw Mon 14 Sep 2015, 3:46 pm

Like I said, controversial that I didn't like it, the story is a good one, but the film just didn't live up to thd hype for me. Sorry!

gw

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Mon 14 Sep 2015, 3:54 pm

No need to be sorry.
I forgot to add the soundtrack is amazing too!

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Mon 14 Sep 2015, 7:42 pm

Yeah I like the soundtrack. I can't find any faults in the film tbh. It's just a matter of personal taste if you like it or not. I think the length of these types of movies puts some people off them.
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Mon 14 Sep 2015, 8:20 pm

I watched the following yesterday:

Django Unchained.
Contraband.
Shooter.

All 3 were really good films.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 15 Sep 2015, 1:30 am

I like Scarface, but a lot like the godfather it doesn't live up to its hype. I much prefer gangster films like Casino, Goodfellas and Once Upon a Time in America.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 15 Sep 2015, 8:37 am

once upon a time in america is far too long and slow for me

goodfellas is best of the bunch, casino and scarface both decent as well. watched both in early 90's wasnt as much hype then from what i can remember. scarface seems to gather more and more with the "say hello to my little friend" posters etc

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 8:51 am

Goodfellas is my favourite ganster film by some distance. Whilst I enjoyed the Godfather, I can't imagine I would be the type to watch it every time it is on TV like some of my friends do.(Which is how I am with Goodfellas).

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 15 Sep 2015, 9:14 am

Goodfellas is arguably my favourite all time film. I must have watched it over 20 times within a couple of years of it's release on video, and even now, I don't get bored with it.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Shoe Tue 15 Sep 2015, 10:39 am

If you like Goodfellas and Scarface, you will love this.

Dr Shoe
Dr Shoe
Dr Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 15 Sep 2015, 10:55 am

Yeah I remember having Goodfellas on tape....then DVD. Now I just have it recorded on my skybox.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 15 Sep 2015, 5:23 pm

Agree with you on Goodfellas, Stella. It's absolutely brilliant. I know Once Upon a Time in America is slow, believe me, but I had to research the backstory and watch it a few times before getting well into it. Once you can relate to the characters and their story you'll love it. I don't think any gangster film can beat it on the epicness scale... I actually think the Godfather is slow and boring (I know that will be considered heresy by a few) - whilst it is a decent story I just don't think it's particularly interesting or entertaining. Did Marlon Brando actually have that great an effect on the world where he could single-handedly make an average film appear to be the most epic one ever made?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Tue 15 Sep 2015, 6:52 pm

So i'm guessing by everything said here that Goodfellas is a recommended film?

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 15 Sep 2015, 7:02 pm

Goodfellas?

...well there always has to be a devil's advocate.

I think it's me.

An okay movie.

It's far too smart for its own good though with the quick editing and the oh so confident babble talk from the Liotta as narrator.  Much too smooth and clean looking - a style piece over realism.

Nothing wrong with high art in commercial cinema - more of it I say, but you have to be careful about how you handle it.

You never care about ...goodfellas - you're not really meant to but when the brush is painted heavily that all these guys are scum including the narrator, then you lose reasons for giving a damn who gets killed.  It only then becomes opera as you watch the visuals of the kill - dethatched from caring though.

DeNiro.............. hmmm, another "Look at Me!" performance in many ways...good in parts though.

Maybe had Scorcese left the smug narration out of it, you might have worked up a degree of emotional involvement.  But a lack of heart spoils it.  Entertaining to listen to the wisecracks and Pesci in his element - but no soul.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Tue 15 Sep 2015, 7:10 pm

Besides the ones mentioned can anyone name any more gangster films that i should watch?

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 15 Sep 2015, 7:21 pm

The old Godfather vs Goodfellas debate, for me it boils down to the former being less showy, creating a better character profile and being a superior piece of art whereas the latter is easier watching. Brando, Pacino, Caan and Duvall give stronger performances as well which I think helps a lot with the character profile as does the films measured pace.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 15 Sep 2015, 8:50 pm

Went to see Legend last night. It's a little bit glossy and perhaps plays too much on the 60s retro stuff, but having Tom Hardy playing both Ronnie and Reggie Kray is a fantastic bit of casting. He has the acting ability to carry both parts off brilliantly. His Ronnie is both highly amusing and terrifying. Great acting.

There's a half decent supporting cast too, with Taron Egerton (from Kingsman), Emily Browning, David Thewlis, Paul Bettany, Chazz Palminteri, Christopher Eccleston & Tara Fitzgerald. This is SO much better than the style-over-substance Gary & Martin Kemp effort from the 90s.

Remember to close your eyes if you're squeamish about hammers by the way... This film gets a big fat Bouncey 8.5/10 from me OK

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 15 Sep 2015, 10:24 pm

Holymiky wrote:Besides the ones mentioned can anyone name any more gangster films that i should watch?

Miller's Crossing.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 15 Sep 2015, 10:34 pm

Galted wrote:
Holymiky wrote:Besides the ones mentioned can anyone name any more gangster films that i should watch?

Miller's Crossing.

All of the ones mentioned and throw in A Bronx Tale as well.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Tue 15 Sep 2015, 10:35 pm

What i meant by besides was just that i plan to watch those already by the way and thanks to you both for the replies.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next