The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Merry Christmas Everyone Thread: It's boxing highlight of the year 2014 time

+13
catchweight
hazharrison
Seanusarrilius
kingraf
ShahenshahG
Coxy001
seanmichaels
Strongback
TopHat24/7
88Chris05
AdamT
Derbymanc
DDGO2
17 posters

Go down

Merry Christmas Everyone Thread: It's boxing highlight of the year 2014 time Empty Merry Christmas Everyone Thread: It's boxing highlight of the year 2014 time

Post by DDGO2 Thu 18 Dec 2014, 12:46 pm

For me, seeing Froch KO Groves. That was sweet. I predicted the first fight to the round and the second too (both KO's also), also sweet.

Groves is a smug idiot now. So to see Froch secure his HOF place with that epic KO, and being a boy of Nottingham upbringing, it felt so good. Followed Carl the whole way, and he deserved that sweet punch.

So, over to you?

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Merry Christmas Everyone Thread: It's boxing highlight of the year 2014 time Empty Re: Merry Christmas Everyone Thread: It's boxing highlight of the year 2014 time

Post by Derbymanc Thu 18 Dec 2014, 12:50 pm

Merry Christmas DDG (Unless your a forest fan, then you can feck off Wink just kidding)

Both Froch and Groves fights for me were fantastic and bar the stoppage in the first, a cracking advert for the sport

Another one was Donaire Vs Walters, cracking little fight and a great interview afterwards ('he beat the Poopie out of me')

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Merry Christmas Everyone Thread: It's boxing highlight of the year 2014 time Empty Re: Merry Christmas Everyone Thread: It's boxing highlight of the year 2014 time

Post by DDGO2 Thu 18 Dec 2014, 12:54 pm

gotta respect Nonito for always being real and giving fight fans great fights. Walters was too big for him, but regardless he went for the win. Respect Donaire!!!

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 18 Dec 2014, 1:09 pm

2014 was a good year especially on these shores. Hopefully 2015 will be even bigger.

Merry Christmas folks

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 18 Dec 2014, 2:42 pm

Most of the really 'big' fights (not a great year for them, truth be told) failed to live up to their billings, but there were some crackers which generally came on a lower scale. Top ten fights of 2014, anyone? In a rough order, off the top of my head don't think I've missed any blindingly obvious ones.

1) Coyle-Brizuela 2) Salido-Kokietgym 3) Dickinson-Clarkson 4) Matthysse-Molina 5) Crawford-Gamboa 6) Guerrero-Kamegai 7) Noble-Fidler 8) Gonzalez-Yaegashi 9) Algieri-Provodnikov 10) Matthews-Gethin

Honourable mention to Mares-Ramirez which was good fun while it lasted the other night.

International Fighter of the Year is Terence Crawford in my view - 2014 has been the year he earned his reputation. Went on the road to dominate Burns for his maiden title, won a thriller against a previously unbeaten Gamboa, outclassed a good figher in Beltran. Runner up would be Roman Gonzalez who looked a million dollars in beating Yaegashi to cement his position as the dominant little man in the sport.

Speaking of the little men, my most embarrassing moment of the year was when I wrote an article about Kazuto Ioka back in April / May time comparing him to Ricardo Lopez and arguing that he had the potential to be number one at the lower end of the weight scale for as long as Lopez was....And then seeing him drop a split decision about a month later in a fight he was supposed to walk.

Not sure what my biggest disappointment of 2014 has been. I actually dug out a thread from a year ago where we put forward our wish lists for 2014 ahead - the fights we wanted to see etc. Most of them seemed reasonable, yet it was depressing looking back at how few of them actually transpired. I thought Gary Russell's performance against Lomachenko was very disappointing, mind you.

Last edited by 88Chris05 on Thu 18 Dec 2014, 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Thu 18 Dec 2014, 2:45 pm

great insight 88Chris, brillian stuff.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 18 Dec 2014, 2:53 pm

DDGO2 wrote:gotta respect Nonito for always being real and giving fight fans great fights. Walters was too big for him, but regardless he went for the win. Respect Donaire!!!

And embracing random VADA drug testing better than any other fighter!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 18 Dec 2014, 2:57 pm

Looking at that list Chris I've only seen 3 of your fight of the year contenders. A lot of them being late nighters probably didn't help. At least I know what boxing to watch over Christmas, cheers.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Thu 18 Dec 2014, 2:58 pm

the VADA testing is fantastic! American testing is vulgar so it's nice to have a poster boy for it.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 18 Dec 2014, 3:13 pm

88Chris05 wrote:

Honourable mention to Mares-Ramirez which was good fun while it lasted the other night.

Fight of the year for me. Mares was superb

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 18 Dec 2014, 3:21 pm

I enjoyed it loads, Michaels, but within about four rounds it was just becoming a bit of a beat-down, albeit an entertaining one. Ramirez showed fantastic courage and toughness, and let go with some meaty shots of his own, but I never really felt he was in with a shout of winning it, which is one of the reasons I'd put the fights listed above in front of it.

But it was a great watch while it lasted. Very entertaining.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 18 Dec 2014, 3:32 pm

With you on that one Chris. Mares for me was in near enough total control for most of the fight, but it was damn fun to watch though and as you gave props to Ramirez for hanging in there and making it a decent fight. A couple of knockdowns for him and a little less landing for Mares and we'd probably have our FOTY. All ifs and buts though.

Coyle vs Brizuela #1 for me though. Knockdowns, point deduction - epic fight. Still remember thinking Coyle wasn't getting up from the big body shot he took, grimacing in pain and then suddenly finds the sweetest of right hands to deck Brizuela. Epic fight even with Watt & Halling attempting to ruin it.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 18 Dec 2014, 3:34 pm

Coxy001 wrote:With you on that one Chris. Mares for me was in near enough total control for most of the fight, but it was damn fun to watch though and as you gave props to Ramirez for hanging in there and making it a decent fight. A couple of knockdowns for him and a little less landing for Mares and we'd probably have our FOTY. All ifs and buts though.

Coyle vs Brizuela #1 for me though. Knockdowns, point deduction - epic fight. Still remember thinking Coyle wasn't getting up from the big body shot he took, grimacing in pain and then suddenly finds the sweetest of right hands to deck Brizuela. Epic fight even with Watt & Halling attempting to ruin it.

Often wondered if they are financially incentivised or just complete morons.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 18 Dec 2014, 5:21 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:With you on that one Chris. Mares for me was in near enough total control for most of the fight, but it was damn fun to watch though and as you gave props to Ramirez for hanging in there and making it a decent fight. A couple of knockdowns for him and a little less landing for Mares and we'd probably have our FOTY. All ifs and buts though.

Often wondered if they are financially incentivised or just complete morons.

Vaguely remember Watt doing his usual "argghhhh heeee woooonnnie rickuvva frum thatt" only for the guy (Brizuela) to duck/weave and 10 seconds later return fire. It enduced one of those Jim Watt/Halling moments when you want to either smash the TV up and miss what is a cracker of a fight or press the mute button and miss out on the crowd reaction.

Sky should invent a commentator mute button. Better still just sack both and bring back Darke and pair him with Malignaggi.... now that, for me, would work like a dream.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 18 Dec 2014, 5:25 pm

I've heard Malignaggi isn't exactly impartial when the fight involves a Haymon fighter. Havent watched enough boxing lately to take this as gospel.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 18 Dec 2014, 7:36 pm

The Froch v Groves event was a highlight. Whenever boxing gets that big it is a good thing.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 18 Dec 2014, 7:42 pm

Im sure there is a sport where you can watch it without commentary..the football perhaps? I cant see why they couldnt offer the same facility at the boxing

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 18 Dec 2014, 7:46 pm

Did anyone else see that Ernie Terrell passed away a couple of days back? A bit belated, but R.I.P Ernie.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 18 Dec 2014, 7:48 pm

Wth... Nothing on the news? RIP Ernie.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 18 Dec 2014, 8:10 pm

Check this out:

Boxing 2014 - The Year Of Suck: http://t.co/PlGhIK0tZ1

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 18 Dec 2014, 8:48 pm

hazharrison wrote:Check this out:

That is fantastic

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 18 Dec 2014, 8:53 pm

Cracking article that, cheers for passing it on Haz. Makes you wonder about a few things too and also why can't we have crappy channels like ESPN2 and Unisent (or whatever) to watch boxing during the week.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 18 Dec 2014, 11:04 pm

hazharrison wrote:Check this out:

Nice round up of the year and yes it wasn't a vintage one.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 19 Dec 2014, 9:13 am

How apt that the 'Year of Suck' article is headed by a picture of Garcia beating up on Salka. I thought Steve Willis' refereeing performance was absolutely appalling in that fight, letting Salka take as much punishment as he did before finally waving it off.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Fri 19 Dec 2014, 4:45 pm

I know, it was a blatant case of wanting to appease the cameras as I've ever seen. Rocky my arse, it was school boy bully sh**. Ref's should be banned after fights like that and Briggs getting smacked around so hard the only words he can utter now are... 'let's go champ.' What people fail to realize is he probably now speaks to his coco pops, dog, and walls the same way.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Fri 19 Dec 2014, 4:46 pm

It's all so vulgar.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 19 Dec 2014, 7:22 pm

The saddest thing in that article was the boner bit. Giving a homeless man some cash and videoing it, and sticking it on the internet. Vain needy ahole. The poor homeless guy gets beaten up and mugged in a matter of hours. I thought I couldn't despise boner more than I did already, but he's the git that keeps on gitting.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 20 Dec 2014, 2:38 am

Yup, if it was truly a selfless, non self promotional act then the fella would've actually benefited.

Now I need to get me some raw moose liver.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 21 Dec 2014, 9:53 am

Highlights of the year??

Not many. I'd choose Froch vs Groves 2 for my ultimate highlight. Fantastic atmosphere, decent undercard and a cracking end to a grudge rematch to set the record straight.

Worst part of year? Paying for Bellew vs Clev and watching clev paw a jab for 9 rounds without using his right. Strange. Udnercard was utter pathetic. Worst show in a long time.

Best fights? Have to say Orlando Salidos one...can't remember who he fought...think the fella was from Thailand or something and it was a tear up.

Same goes for Mares on the weekend....he looked utter class and put a beat down on.

Hopes for the new year??

Mayweather vs Pacman FINALLY happens just to set the record straight. Get it out the way. Their both the best at the weight so just sort it.

Fury gets knocked out cold by Klitshcko or Wilder.

Judges score fights correctly.....I mean....anyone watch Bradley vs Chavez the other night?? Awful.

But the scoring goes back a long long way....I watched Pacman vs Hoya again last night and the first round, a judge scored it for Hoya. If anyome can justify that I'd be grateful.

Here is to a new year!! Merry Christmas have a good one!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Mon 22 Dec 2014, 3:21 pm

Moment of the year for me would have to be Frampton finally winning a World title atmosphere in Belfast was electric not just on the actual night but for the days leading up to the fight also.

Froch v Groves 2 would be a very close 2nd.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down