The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oscar apologises to Arum & Pacquiao

+6
Valero's Conscience
Rowley
coxy0001
Sugar Boy Sweetie
azania
Daz
10 posters

Go down

Oscar apologises to Arum & Pacquiao Empty Oscar apologises to Arum & Pacquiao

Post by Daz Fri 27 May 2011, 9:05 am

Saw on twitter last night that ODLH apoligsed to Bob and Manny. Full transcript here from Fight Hype website:

Earlier today, from the confines of a private rehab center somewhere in California, 10-time world champion Oscar De La Hoya publicly apologized to his former promoter, Bob Arum, as well as pound-for-pound champion Manny Pacquiao for any pain or wrongdoing his mistakes may have caused. Although it's unclear as to exactly what "mistakes" De La Hoya is referring to, one can assume that he's likely talking about comments that he made regarding Pacquiao and the alleged use of performance-enhancing drugs; comments which De La Hoya is currently in the middle of a libel suit for. While on the surface, the apology may seem sincere, but it begs the question, is this simply a required step in De La Hoya's rehabilitation process, making amends with those he has wronged in the past?

The more important question, however, is whether or not Arum and Pacquiao truly believe that the comments De La Hoya posted to his official Twitter account are sincere. After all, although the statements were directly addressed to Pacquiao and Arum, neither one of them are really active on the social network. In fact, the 79-year-old Arum doesn't even have a Twitter account and Pacquiao, who just created an account a few months ago, last updated his page over a month ago. One would think that a sincere apology would first be delivered to those that were wronged so they won't be the last ones to hear about it. Nevertheless, the rehab center that De La Hoya voluntarily checked himself into evidently encourages the use of the internet to stay connected to the outside world, so the future Hall of Famer, who's been updating his Twitter account throughout his stay, took the opportunity to Tweet the following message for his roughly 75,000 followers to see:

@OscarDeLaHoya: Dear bob arum first I would like to humbly apologize for any pain I have caused to you and or your family.I also want to apologize....

@OscarDeLaHoya: To manny paquiao for any wrong doing in my part.you are a great champion.I have realized that by accepting my mistakes everyone around me...

@OscarDeLaHoya: Will hopefully forgive me.with great humility I ask we work together for the good of the sport we dearly love.It is not fair to the fans...

@OscarDeLaHoya: And to the fighters.so today let's move forward and put on the best fights possible and show the world what we are capable of doing.

@OscarDeLaHoya: Thank you bob.your friend oscar

This actually marks the second time that De La Hoya has apologized to Bob Arum via Twitter. The first time was back in December of last year, when De La Hoya first attempted to end the Cold War that has existed between Golden Boy Promtions and Top Rank for the past couple of years. It was Arum's birthday when De La Hoya tweeted this similar message:

@OscarDeLaHoya: Hello everyone, I am writing these words with great sincerity. Bob arum first of all happy b day and second I want to apologize for anything

@OscarDeLaHoya: That's I have said.let's somehow put this behind us and make fights let's show the world why boxing is the best sport

For what it's worth, when Bob Arum was informed of De La Hoya's comments, he didn't exactly accept the apology, but he did appreciate the gesture, telling Examiner.com's Michael Marley, "I will say this, it is a very nice gesture on Oscar's part. We're grateful for that." Whether or not that means we're one step closer to ending the animosity between the two biggest promotional companies in the sport remains to be seen, however, it's good to see that De La Hoya is making the effort as he continues to work through this difficult time.

Link: http://fighthype.com/pages/content10007.html

Looks like Oscar has indeed been doing some soul searching whilst in rehab.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Oscar apologises to Arum & Pacquiao Empty Re: Oscar apologises to Arum & Pacquiao

Post by azania Fri 27 May 2011, 9:11 am

It looks like the ground work for THE fight is being made.

azania

Back to top Go down

Oscar apologises to Arum & Pacquiao Empty Re: Oscar apologises to Arum & Pacquiao

Post by Daz Fri 27 May 2011, 9:13 am

azania wrote:It looks like the ground work for THE fight is being made.

Negotiations from Rehab! Thats a first! Haha!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 27 May 2011, 9:16 am

Call me a cynic, but when it comes to boxing politics, the ordinary becomes bizarre and and the bizarre becomes the more ridiculous or even ordinary.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 27 May 2011, 9:18 am

I don't think so mate. Mannys fighting marquez, floyds got a pile of legal issues and may never fight again, oscars in rehab and arum has publically stated pacquiao will never ever fight a GBP fighter. The fight is further away than it's ever been right now, it'll almost certainly never get made, and if it does Oscar won't have any hand in it.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 27 May 2011, 9:19 am

Maybe thats what required to get this fight on!!

Nice of Oscar to apologise - but he doesnt actually say what he is apologising for.....hmmm.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 27 May 2011, 9:33 am

Personally i get delirious if i've not had my daily dose of B&H silver and carlsberg

I would take most of what he's said as comments from a mad man!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 27 May 2011, 9:35 am

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:

I don't think so mate. Mannys fighting marquez, floyds got a pile of legal issues and may never fight again, oscars in rehab and arum has publically stated pacquiao will never ever fight a GBP fighter. The fight is further away than it's ever been right now, it'll almost certainly never get made, and if it does Oscar won't have any hand in it.

And you believe what Arum publically states? When there is this amount of money to be made, it will be made. If not now, it will happen when Manny is on the slide as Arum milks him for the last time. Promoters are latter day vampires if you ask me.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 27 May 2011, 9:38 am

It's all about the money for Arum - he would sell his soul for a few million.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 27 May 2011, 9:43 am

Nobody got on worse than Arum and King in their heyday but when the millions were on the table for Tito and Oscar they were able to put thes differences aside, as others have said money talks to promoters

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 27 May 2011, 9:56 am

azania wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:

And you believe what Arum publically states? When there is this amount of money to be made, it will be made. If not now, it will happen when Manny is on the slide as Arum milks him for the last time. Promoters are latter day vampires if you ask me.

If it gets made when one or both of them are on the slide then what's the point. It is no longer a Leonard hearns or a Oscar Trinidad, but two older fighters milking their names and loses the significance. If it happens when they're old and past their primes it may as well not happen at all.the whole point is that it's the two top p4p guys at their peaks. I don't think it'll get made at all - too many bad dynamics between promotors and fighters as well as legal issues such as floyds trials, the libel suit, then there's the drug testing the money blah blah. If it does happen it'll be when they're too old for it to bear any significance. Either way we won't get to see a prime fight between the best of this generation.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 27 May 2011, 10:08 am

Agreed he's just paving the way for THE fight, well hoping to anyway.

If it helps get the fight made then good on you Oscar!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 27 May 2011, 10:09 am

And just quietly should this not be in "Pacquiao news"...?

Think it should be....

Quick, before the resident hugger turns up!!!!!!! We haven't got long before the forum disolves again - we've all been playing nicely-ish, lets do it for the kids! The kids damnit!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri 27 May 2011, 10:23 am

Dazstarr wrote:It's all about the money for Arum - he would sell his soul for a few million.

Many of us would do it for less!! And we get a decent match up out of it, then we are all winners

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 27 May 2011, 11:12 am

bhb001 wrote:
Dazstarr wrote:It's all about the money for Arum - he would sell his soul for a few million.

Many of us would do it for less!! And we get a decent match up out of it, then we are all winners

Haha!! Like it! I may sell a small portion of mine to get the fight on.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 27 May 2011, 11:52 am

Oscar has issued an apology to Bob Arum?!? Perhaps he really IS sick.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 27 May 2011, 12:08 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Oscar has issued an apology to Bob Arum?!? Perhaps he really IS sick.
laughing

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 27 May 2011, 2:00 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:

when u put itlike that Sad

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 27 May 2011, 4:04 pm

It looks like the ground work for THE fight is being made.
That's if its the real Oscar and not Mike in Cambridge!

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 27 May 2011, 5:30 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:
azania wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:

If it gets made when one or both of them are on the slide then what's the point. It is no longer a Leonard hearns or a Oscar Trinidad, but two older fighters milking their names and loses the significance. If it happens when they're old and past their primes it may as well not happen at all.the whole point is that it's the two top p4p guys at their peaks. I don't think it'll get made at all - too many bad dynamics between promotors and fighters as well as legal issues such as floyds trials, the libel suit, then there's the drug testing the money blah blah. If it does happen it'll be when they're too old for it to bear any significance. Either way we won't get to see a prime fight between the best of this generation.

Since when have promoters been bothered about peak fighting peak. Floyd and Pac have name recognition and will bring in the dollars. That is their bottom line. The fans get shafted again.

Come back Don King.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 27 May 2011, 6:20 pm

Come back Don King.
No thanks, money manipulating idiot!

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 27 May 2011, 6:28 pm

Steven_89 wrote:Come back Don King.
No thanks, money manipulating idiot!

He made the biggest fights and had stacked cards. What's wrong with making money anyway?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 27 May 2011, 6:52 pm

He made the biggest fights and had stacked cards. What's wrong with making money anyway?
Yeah Tyson fought more roadsweepers than i've had hot meals. Nothing, if the fighter is getting more money than the promoter, don't like King, bores me.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 27 May 2011, 11:15 pm

Steven_89 wrote:He made the biggest fights and had stacked cards. What's wrong with making money anyway?
Yeah Tyson fought more roadsweepers than i've had hot meals. Nothing, if the fighter is getting more money than the promoter, don't like King, bores me.

Interesting that you say that. Tyson was managed by Bill Cayton for most of his career. But do carry on.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down