The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1872 Cup - Rugby's oldest derby fixture

+25
Argybargy
R!skysports
Dorothy_Mantooth
EWT Spoons
nickj
cakeordeath
bsando
TJ
BigGee
mckay1402
Nematode
justified sinner
MacKnocked-on
JonnyEdinburgh
Imperialbigdave
highland_scot
George Carlin
VinceWLB
tigertattie
demosthenes
IanBru
funnyExiledScot
GLove39
jimbopip
RDW
29 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

1872 Cup - Rugby's oldest derby fixture Empty 1872 Cup - Rugby's oldest derby fixture

Post by RDW Mon 22 Dec 2014, 9:43 am

1872 Cup - Rugby's oldest derby fixture Glasgow-warriors               1872 Cup - Rugby's oldest derby fixture Edinburgh_Rugby_logo

Glasgow Warriors V Edinburgh Rugby

History of the competition (Credit to Hugh Barrow of the Scotsman)

Hugh Barrow wrote:“Tradition is very, very important,” said Alan Solomons. “It’s the oldest derby and to be involved is an absolute privilege.”

Like many good yarns, including the William Webb Ellis story, that certainly has a degree of truth. There was certainly no cup to be won on the 23 November 1872 at Glasgow Accies ground Burnbank when Scotland’s two largest cities first met under the then 20-a-side Rugby rules.

Two of the Glasgow team, Tom Chalmers and Willie Cross, had an intriguing decision to make that week – should they play against Edinburgh at rugby or play against England in the first-ever soccer international a week later at Hamilton Crescent?

They chose the former so Queens Park took on the Auld Enemy on their own. A year earlier Cross had goaled the first points recorded in the history of international rugby at Raeburn Place in the famous first Scotland v England international.

Between 1872 and 1995 there was still no cup to contest, just the honour of winning, and for generations who played that annual match in early December that sufficed whether it was played at Burnbank, Hamilton Crescent, Hampden Park, New or Old Anniesland or Hughenden in the west.

The first real inter-city cup was contested in the 1995-96 season’s match, when it was donated by the match sponsors, Slater, Hogg and Howison. It had the sponsor’s name on it and that remained for the following season, but for 1997-98 a new sponsor came on board – Inter-City Trains. So it became the Inter-City Cup.

This initiative was very much driven by the Glasgow District Committee of the day, including the likes of Ken Crichton from Stirling County and Andy Little of Glasgow High Kelvinside. By then the Inter-District Championship had become Scotland’s qualifying competition for Europe, and it is intriguing that qualification looks set to return next season.

However, in late March 1998 came the SRU decision to condense from four teams to two for European competition and that sounded the death knell for the Inter-District Cup. Glasgow and Edinburgh played a one-off match in 1998-99 and such was the popularity among supporters that the IDC was resurrected for season 1999-2000. That lasted only three seasons, ending in 2001-2002 and thereafter the Inter-City Cup languished in the Glasgow District office in Somerset Place for a few years.

It found a new life when the professional teams revived it in 2007 and has since become the major draw in the Scottish rugby calendar with crowds of close to 14,000 registered at Murrayfield and limited only to 10,000 in Glasgow, at the old Firhill venue, because of stadia capacity.

Scotstoun housed the 1997-98 fixture and was Glasgow’s first home in the Heineken Cup, though the home matches in the European Challenge Cup the previous season (the four Scottish teams’ first season in Europe) had been played at Hughenden.

What the players of bygone times would make of the international make-up of the current teams filling the jerseys is anybody’s guess but the influx of foreign players was commented on as long ago as 1891 when it was noted that Edinburgh fielded some “aliens”.

What remains constant is that those who now play in Glasgow and Edinburgh shirts wherever they hail from have the privilege to bear the cities’ names and that is not an honour to be taken lightly.

Previous results

2013-2014
Glasgow 37 - Edinburgh 34
Edinburgh 16 - Glasgow 20
Aggregate - Glasgow 57 - Edinburgh 50

2012-2013
Edinburgh 17 - Glasgow 21
Glasgow 23 - Edinburgh 14
Aggregate - Glasgow 44 - Edinburgh 31

2011-2012
Glasgow 17 - Edinburgh 12
Edinburgh 23 - Glasgow 23
Aggregate - Glasgow 40 - Edinburgh 35

2010 - 2011
Edinburgh 22 - Glasgow 15
Glasgow 25 - Edinburgh 12
Aggregate - Glasgow 40 - Edinburgh 34

-
-
-
-
2009 - Edinburgh won!!!  Yahoo

Fixtures

Glasgow V Edinburgh
Saturday 27th December
Scotstoun Stadium
14:40 kick off
Live on Sky Sports

Edinburgh V Glasgow
Friday 2nd January
Murrayfield Stadium
19:35 kick off
Live on BBC 2

Teams for Second Leg

Glasgow Warriors
1872 Cup - Rugby's oldest derby fixture Gimli10

15. Peter Murchie
14. Sean Maitland
13. Alex Dunbar
12. Peter Horne
11. Tommy Seymour
10. Finn Russell
9. Niko Matawalu

1. Gordon Reid
2. Dougie Hall
3. Jon Welsh
4. Jonny Gray
5. Al Kellock (Captain)
6. Ryan Wilson
7. Tyrone Holmes
8. Josh Strauss

16. Fraser Brown
17. Alex Allan
18. Euan Murray
19. Leone Nakarawa
20. James Eddie
21. Ali Price
22. Richie Vernon
23. Stuart Hogg

Edinburgh Rugby
1872 Cup - Rugby's oldest derby fixture Taurie10

15 Jack CUTHBERT
14 Dougie FIFE
13 Matt SCOTT
12 Phil BURLEIGH  
11 Tim VISSER
10 Greig TONKS
9 Sam HIDALGO-CLYNE

1 Alasdair DICKINSON
2 Ross FORD
3 John ANDRESS
4 Anton BRESLER
5 Ben TOOLIS
6 Mike COMAN (Captain)
7 Roddy GRANT
8 David DENTON

16 Neil COCHRANE
17 Rory SUTHERLAND
18 WP NEL
19 Fraser McKENZIE
20 Hamish WATSON
21 Sean KENNEDY
22 Tom HEATHCOTE
23 Sam BEARD

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

1872 Cup - Rugby's oldest derby fixture Empty Re: 1872 Cup - Rugby's oldest derby fixture

Post by RDW Mon 22 Dec 2014, 11:10 am

On the Edinburgh injury front, Matt Scott and Phil Burleigh are expected to be passed fit, but no word on Ross Ford yet who has been resting his back. Matt Scott will definitely come back in (for Strauss please) but I'd be surprised if Burleigh came straight back in.

Bresler will hopefully be back after an illness made him pull out of the Treviso game.

For me the biggest concern is in the 2nd row - McKenzie is nice and physical and Toolis has made huge leaps forwards this season, but let's face it they are decidedly 3rd rate compared to Gray and Nakarawa (although Gray might be due a rest).

Edinburgh's lineout is excellent with Ford and Gilchrist in charge, but has been very hit or miss since they have been injured. We aren't going to get many chances against Glasgow, and if we get an attacking lineout in their 22 we really need to be nailing it.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

1872 Cup - Rugby's oldest derby fixture Empty Re: 1872 Cup - Rugby's oldest derby fixture

Post by jimbopip Mon 22 Dec 2014, 11:13 am

So, the Tombola gets all emotional in this season of gluttony and goodwill and gives outings to the Coo, Jedi and Cap'n Kellock.
1. Shrek
2. Hall
3. Coo
4. Swinson
5. Cap'n (Naka and Jonnie will probably play but they could do with a rest unless Toonie wants to win convincingly at home and then give them a break for the dead rubber)
6. It's his jersey, he's mean and hungry and the best 6 Scotland have...Rob Harley.
7.Jedi ( it's his turn to put Roddy Grant in his place : every one else at the club has done it)
8. Wison, Bluto needs a break.
9. Henners Piecrust (Niko for impact)
10. Dancer (two easy run outs to get back his confidence)
11. Tenesee Tam
12. Dunbar if fit, Hornee or anyone who can run faster than Lightning McStrauss. Pity Bru's unavailable.
13. Richie Vee
14. DTH
15. Hogg or Murchie makes no difference they'll both be streets ahead of the opposition.

replacements; it doesn't really matter- it's not as if it'll be that close.

Don't you love the season of Peace on Earth and Goodwill To All? 1872 Cup - Rugby's oldest derby fixture 3845856932

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Dec 2014, 11:24 am

jimbopip wrote:So, the Tombola gets all emotional in this season of gluttony and goodwill and gives outings to the Coo, Jedi and Cap'n Kellock.
1. Shrek
2. Hall
3. Coo - I hope so, he'll be blowing out his arse after 30 mins!
4. Swinson
5. Cap'n (Naka and Jonnie will probably play but they could do with a rest unless Toonie wants to win convincingly at home and then give them a break for the dead rubber)
6. It's his jersey, he's mean and hungry and the best 6 Scotland have...Rob Harley.
7.Jedi ( it's his turn to put Roddy Grant in his place : every one else at the club has done it) Headscratch not sure what you're on about here - Grant has been a consistently good performer in these fixtures.
8. Wison, Bluto needs a break is scared of Denton. OK, I take that back - even I can't seriously say that!
10. Dancer (two easy run outs to get back his confidence) - Fine by me, will be interesting to see how much he chokes with his goal kicking this week! Very Happy
11. Tenesee Tam
12. Dunbar if fit, Hornee or anyone who can run faster than Lightning McStrauss. Pity Bru's unavailable. That'll be any player in the squad then (including the injured)?
13. Richie Vee
14. DTH
15. Hogg or Murchie makes no difference they'll both be streets ahead of the opposition. I'll give you Hogg, but I don't think Murchie is any better than Tonks or Cuthbert

Don't you love the season of Peace on Earth and Goodwill To All? 1872 Cup - Rugby's oldest derby fixture 3845856932

Fighting talk has started already! Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 11:35 am

Tell you one thing it's scandalous that the first leg is on sky.
Really thought (hoped) these games would be ring fenced for the greater good of promoting rugby in the country. Instead ALBA are showing the Munster - Leinster match. Which unless you're already a fan of the game you're unlikely to watch.

And yes I know some unscrupulous people will stream the game online, but just not the same as sitting round with the family on Boxing Day.

Anyhow's that to one side, expecting an entertaining & firey game! Grayson Hart (if he's available) to come on and manhandle Mr Attitude problem out of the stadium!

Last edited by GLove39 on Mon 22 Dec 2014, 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 22 Dec 2014, 11:37 am

Also apparently George Clancy will ref the first leg

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Dec 2014, 11:41 am

GLove39 wrote:Also apparently George Clancy will ref the first leg

Excellent - he really doesn't like Glasgow, especially if Kellock is playing!

You can understand why Sky have got it - one of the bigger games in the Pro 12 calendar.

And as for watching it on the TV with the whole family gathered round - you're a man of technology, I'm sure you know what you can do with an HDMI cable (or scart) connected from your laptop to your TV with content from certain websites showing on the big screen! Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Dec 2014, 12:07 pm

The problem for Edinburgh is that whilst we've won the last three games, they were all against cr*p teams and will be no yardstick for what Glasgow will throw at us. It's also worth nothing that before our "run of three", we lost to Zebre without a losing bonus point. Suffice to say that Glasgow are massive favourites.

Our defence is better than it has been in previous years, but the starting point was pretty grim. Our attack is completely blunt, so unless we can absorb pressure for 79 minutes and then rely on Heathcote to nail his kicks, I cannot see another path to victory. Conversely Glasgow can score tries from pretty much anywhere, and don't resort ot simply hoofing the ball away at every opportunity. This is a pretty big mismatch.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Dec 2014, 12:09 pm

The Edinburgh XV I'd like to see:

1.Dickinson
2.Ford
3.Nel
4.Bresler
5.Toolis
6.Coman (c)
7.Grant
8.Denton
9.Hidalgo-Clyne
10.Tonks
11.Visser
12.Burleigh
13.Scott
14.Fife
15.Cuthbert

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Dec 2014, 12:16 pm

I'd prefer Scott at 12 and Beard at 13 - Burleigh won't be overly match fit.

Close call on 10 - instinctively I'd prefer tonks, but he was poor against Treviso (despite the pack completely dominating) and heathcoats kicking could give us an edge - Russell has been fairly flaky recently.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Dec 2014, 12:22 pm

Heathcote's kicking was dreadful against London Welsh at Murrayfield, both from hand and off the tee. That's why he was dropped in the first place. He also lacks range on his kicking from hand, compared to Tonks, is not as good defensively and doesn't have Tonks' pace with ball in hand. Yes, I think Heathcote is a better kicker than Hidalgo-Clyne, but is terms of getting the backline going, and relieving pressure with the boot, I think Tonks is ahead.

I'd be happy with Scott and Beard in the centres to give Burleigh more time to recover. Beard has been pretty solid this season and tends to make good distribution decisions. He lacks a bit of gas for a 13, but has a happy knack of sneaking extra yards. He's a clever player and has been in decent form this season.

The player who has impressed me is Ben Toolis. Runs the lineout nicely, throws his weight around and is pretty mobile. I've been more impressed with him than Bresler to be perfectly honest.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 22 Dec 2014, 12:25 pm

OK, in the spirit of the season, with tongue firmly planted in my rosy gin-drenched cheek, here's my dedicated post of anti-Edinburgh venom:
- Your cobbled streets have the texture of a Bosnian ice-rink, yet contain more tourist shops than sex shops;
- They say ‘it costs nothing to be funny’. Your sense of humour is imported every August, and yet you still pay £20 for a ticket.
- Your best museum is dedicated primarily to things that happened outside of the city;
- Like most houses in Alabama, the most interesting thing about your best landmark is that it has a gun fired from it daily.
- Your new mass-transit system allows you to, quite literally, be run out of town on a rail. Yup, £1 Billion to recreate the punishments of the 18th century.
- The old joke says that ‘a day out of Glasgow is a day wasted’. I always assumed that ‘wasted’ was advice on how to handle a day in Edinburgh.
- You are best known for a film about heroin addiction and music by a pair of twins. The only good thing about ‘Trainspotting’ is the soundtrack. The only good thing about the Proclaimers is the desire they elicit to experiment with hard drugs. I call it ‘the Circle of Leith’.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Dec 2014, 12:31 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Heathcote's kicking was dreadful against London Welsh at Murrayfield, both from hand and off the tee. That's why he was dropped in the first place. He also lacks range on his kicking from hand, compared to Tonks, is not as good defensively and doesn't have Tonks' pace with ball in hand. Yes, I think Heathcote is a better kicker than Hidalgo-Clyne, but is terms of getting the backline going, and relieving pressure with the boot, I think Tonks is ahead.

I'd be happy with Scott and Beard in the centres to give Burleigh more time to recover. Beard has been pretty solid this season and tends to make good distribution decisions. He lacks a bit of gas for a 13, but has a happy knack of sneaking extra yards. He's a clever player and has been in decent form this season.

The player who has impressed me is Ben Toolis. Runs the lineout nicely, throws his weight around and is pretty mobile. I've been more impressed with him than Bresler to be perfectly honest.

I wasn't at the LW game so that's some useful info on heathcoats form. Saying that, those kicks will have certainly helped his confidence.

I'm just not overly convinced that Sam H-C is a decent kicker!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Dec 2014, 1:18 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:The problem for Edinburgh is that whilst we've won the last three games, they were all against cr*p teams and will be no yardstick for what Glasgow will throw at us. It's also worth nothing that before our "run of three", we lost to Zebre without a losing bonus point. Suffice to say that Glasgow are massive favourites.

Our defence is better than it has been in previous years, but the starting point was pretty grim. Our attack is completely blunt, so unless we can absorb pressure for 79 minutes and then rely on Heathcote to nail his kicks, I cannot see another path to victory. Conversely Glasgow can score tries from pretty much anywhere, and don't resort ot simply hoofing the ball away at every opportunity. This is a pretty big mismatch.

If you look at our away results against the top teams (and Glasgow are certainly a top team):

Ospreys 62 - Edinburgh 13
Ulster 30 - Edinburgh 0
Leinster 33 - Edinburgh 8

That tells me more about Edinburgh this season than 3 straight wins in a row against the two worst teams in Europe.

Saying that, I do think it will be relatively close - looking through past results they have tended to be, but I still think Glasgow are going to get at least 9 points from this and we might struggle to even get 2.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Dec 2014, 1:30 pm

I think the weather could be a leveller. Torrid conditions can be as much an enemy to ambitious rugby as Alan Solomons, so if a negative territory based game is required, then we've had lots of practice!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Mon 22 Dec 2014, 1:58 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I think the weather could be a leveller. Torrid conditions can be as much an enemy to ambitious rugby as Alan Solomons, so if a negative territory based game is required, then we've had lots of practice!!

Torrid??? You may have been out in the sun too much!!!

The weather forecast isn't particularly certain yet - they seem to be veering from cold and dry; to mild and wet. But unless it stops raining soon the pitch will be 'heavy' at least. Advantage Edinburgh?

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Dec 2014, 2:03 pm

Try "horrid".....

Short of Ebola striking the Glasgow squad I can't see "advantage Edinburgh" under any scenario of pitch conditions....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 22 Dec 2014, 2:23 pm

IanBru wrote:OK, in the spirit of the season, with tongue firmly planted in my rosy gin-drenched cheek, here's my dedicated post of anti-Edinburgh venom:
- Your cobbled streets have the texture of a Bosnian ice-rink, yet contain more tourist shops than sex shops;
- They say ‘it costs nothing to be funny’. Your sense of humour is imported every August, and yet you still pay £20 for a ticket.
- Your best museum is dedicated primarily to things that happened outside of the city;
- Like most houses in Alabama, the most interesting thing about your best landmark is that it has a gun fired from it daily.
- Your new mass-transit system allows you to, quite literally, be run out of town on a rail. Yup, £1 Billion to recreate the punishments of the 18th century.
- The old joke says that ‘a day out of Glasgow is a day wasted’. I always assumed that ‘wasted’ was advice on how to handle a day in Edinburgh.
- You are best known for a film about heroin addiction and music by a pair of twins. The only good thing about ‘Trainspotting’ is the soundtrack. The only good thing about the Proclaimers is the desire they elicit to experiment with hard drugs. I call it ‘the Circle of Leith’.

My rebuttle sir

Glasgow

The recognised legal tender in Glasgow is not the pound sterling, it's actually bottles of buckfast.
If you ask someone the time in Glasgow, the answer you get depends on what football team you support.
If you say the wrong football team, you are likely to have a knife inserted into your abdomen!
Glasgow actually has a higher crime rate that Beirut!
Edinburgh has a castle, Glasgow doesn’t.  Glasgow has two fortresses where bloody battles are fought to this day! They are called ibrox and parkhead!
In Edinburgh, folk use Biros to do work.  In Glasgow, folk use Giros to not have to do work!
In Glasgow, food banks are used as buckfast laundering services!
Glasgow is the only place on the UK mainland that has more rainfall than the west coast of Wales!
They say "it’s grim up north" but the folk in the north say "it's grim in Glasgow"
The commonwealth games were given to Glasgow to temporarily provide an increase to the average life expectancy of the city

PS. the Proclaimers are Fifers! Lets not go there!!!

Last edited by tigertattie on Mon 22 Dec 2014, 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Dec 2014, 2:25 pm

Laugh

Festive cheer on 606v2!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 22 Dec 2014, 2:51 pm

tigertattie wrote:
IanBru wrote:OK, in the spirit of the season, with tongue firmly planted in my rosy gin-drenched cheek, here's my dedicated post of anti-Edinburgh venom:

My rebuttle sir

Glasgow

The recognised legal tender in Glasgow is not the pound sterling, it's actually bottles of buckfast.
If you ask someone the time in Glasgow, the answer you get depends on what football team you support.
If you say the wrong football team, you are likely to have a knife inserted into your abdomen!
Glasgow actually has a higher crime rate that Beirut!
Edinburgh has a castle, Glasgow doesn’t.  Glasgow has two fortresses where bloody battles are fought to this day! They are called ibrox and parkhead!
In Edinburgh, folk use Biros to do work.  In Glasgow, folk use Giros to not have to do work!
In Glasgow, food banks are used as buckfast laundering services!
Glasgow is the only place on the UK mainland that has more rainfall than the west coast of Wales!
They say "it’s grim up north" but the folk in the north say "it's grim in Glasgow"
The commonwealth games were given to Glasgow to temporarily provide an increase to the average life expectancy of the city

If you look closely you'll notice that Bru's is funny, contains wit and a certain warmth. Tattie's on the other hand is, well , tatty. Totally unfunny and lacking in any humour. No wonder Schiz froths at the mouth at the mere mention of visiting Luvviedom.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 22 Dec 2014, 3:36 pm

jimbopip wrote:

If you look closely you'll notice that Bru's is funny, contains wit and a certain warmth. Tattie's on the other hand is, well , tatty. Totally unfunny and lacking in any humour. No wonder Schiz froths at the mouth at the mere mention of visiting Luvviedom.

Didn't take long for the dummy to be spat out eh!

West coasters - They can dish it out but cannae take it laughing
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Dec 2014, 3:45 pm

Absolutely Tattie. They're a precious bunch!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 22 Dec 2014, 3:57 pm

I would like to see this Edinburgh team:

Dickinson
Ford
Andress
Bresler
Toolis
Leonardi
Grant
Denton

Hidalgo-Clyne
Heathcote

Visser
Scott
Beard
Fife
Tonks

But suspect Solomons will go with Common and Strauss even though they add absolutely nothing to the team.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 22 Dec 2014, 4:00 pm

VinceWLB wrote:I would like to see this Edinburgh team:

Dickinson
Ford
Andress
Bresler
Toolis
Leonardi
Grant
Denton

Hidalgo-Clyne
Heathcote

Visser
Scott
Beard
Fife
Tonks

But suspect Solomons will go with Common and Strauss even though they add absolutely nothing to the team.

Isn't Bresler still cabbaged?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 22 Dec 2014, 4:06 pm

tigertattie wrote:
Isn't Bresler still cabbaged?

Dunno was only feeling unwell prior to the Treviso game, should be ok i believe.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 22 Dec 2014, 4:19 pm

tigertattie wrote:West coasters - They can dish it out but cannae take it laughing
That's a wonderfully concise summary of Glasgow's 1872 Cup points scored/conceded record in recent years.

Well done young man!thumbsup
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 22 Dec 2014, 4:23 pm

IanBru wrote:
tigertattie wrote:West coasters - They can dish it out but cannae take it laughing
That's a wonderfully concise summary of Glasgow's 1872 Cup points scored/conceded record in recent years.

Well done young man!thumbsup

Yahoo been a while since someone refered to me as young Yahoo
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 22 Dec 2014, 6:24 pm

Aye Tattie there will be dishing out done on Saturday, even Clownshoes Clancy won't protect you from the inevitable. Also, the only caveat I had with the Bru's missive was I felt he was unfair to the bespectacled chanters: their best songs have warmth, humour and wit. So they don't come from Luvvietown? No surprise there then.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 22 Dec 2014, 6:30 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
jimbopip wrote:So, the Tombola gets all emotional in this season of gluttony and goodwill and gives outings to the Coo, Jedi and Cap'n Kellock.
1. Shrek
2. Hall
3. Coo - I hope so, he'll be blowing out his arse after 30 mins!
4. Swinson
7.Jedi ( it's his turn to put Roddy Grant in his place : every one else at the club has done it) Headscratch not sure what you're on about here - Grant has been a consistently good performer in these fixtures. Seriously? I quite likw Grant as a player. But like the Jedi he's a really good, and loyal, club man. His international pretentions were shown up in one 1872 match at Firhill by John Barclay who completely owned him that day. In fact he's only just getting over it now, still sleeps with the nightlight on I've heard. By four o'clock on Saturday he'll be back to square zero.
8. Wison, Bluto needs a break is scared of Denton. OK, I take that back - even I can't seriously say that!
10. Dancer (two easy run outs to get back his confidence) - Fine by me, will be interesting to see how much he chokes with his goal kicking this week! Very Happy
11. Tenesee Tam
12. Dunbar if fit, Hornee or anyone who can run faster than Lightning McStrauss. Pity Bru's unavailable. That'll be any player in the squad then (including the injured)?
13. Richie Vee
14. DTH
15. Hogg or Murchie makes no difference they'll both be streets ahead of the opposition. I'll give you Hogg, but I don't think Murchie is any better than Tonks or Cuthbert

Fighting talk has started already! Laugh

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Dec 2014, 7:15 pm

Remember it's not that long ago that Grant was a being touted for a Scotland cap, and there was much surprise expressed that he wasn't in the squad.

That certainly suggests more than a decent club player!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Dec 2014, 7:19 pm

I'm.also fairly sure a lot of Glasgow fans would be delighted to have Roddy Grant in their squad just now.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 22 Dec 2014, 7:31 pm

I've just checked and apparently Edinburgh don't like it up 'em. Huh. Who knew?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 22 Dec 2014, 7:40 pm

In the A fixture, it's currently 12-10 to the Cuticle Inspectors, tries from Hoyland, Tom Brown, Rory 'Hardman' Hughes and Jedi. Apparently the Coo is doing very well in the scrums.

Set mood selector to 'happy'.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Mon 22 Dec 2014, 8:23 pm

27-10 to Embra now. Try for Bradbury and a second from Hoyland, with a penas from Te Rure in between.

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Dec 2014, 8:39 pm

Got high hopes for Hoyland.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Dec 2014, 8:40 pm

FT 27-10 Edinburgh.

Edinburghs 5th highest crowd of the season too with 300+ in attendance!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon 22 Dec 2014, 8:43 pm

Thats multiple A fixtures in which Bradbury has sounded impressive. Surely more chances in the first team beckon?
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Dec 2014, 9:25 pm

Andy Nicol certainly thinks Bradbury had a good game.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 23 Dec 2014, 3:44 am

Any chance at all that this game was televised and there are highlights somewhere?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 23 Dec 2014, 7:56 am

Glasgow have tended to provide a highlight reel for the previous A fixtures, certainly the first one.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 23 Dec 2014, 8:56 am

Might appear in the weekly warriors podcast thing they do. In the meantime, here's the Edinburgh match report.

Edinburgh Rugby A ran out deserved victors against Glasgow Warriors A on the back pitches of BT Murrayfield on Monday night, winning 27-10.

Tries from Damien Hoyland and Tom Brown helped the home side build a 12-0 lead before Glasgow struck back through Rory Hughes and James Eddie to close to within two points at the break.

Number 8 Magnus Bradbury touched down at the beginning of the second half before fly-half Jade Te Rure increased the lead with a penalty. Hoyland’s second try sealed the win for the hosts.

Glasgow A started the game well and looked to pressurise the Edinburgh A line in the opening minutes. Good hands from back row forwards James Eddie and Will Bordill made sure Edinburgh A had to defend diligently before clearing their lines.

While the initial stages were dominated by Glasgow A, it was Edinburgh A who scored first. Making significant gains in Glasgow A territory, scrum half Sean Kennedy skilfully slipped a reverse pass to a speeding Damien Hoyland who skipped his way under the posts. Te Rure slotted the conversion to make it 7-0 after nine minutes played.

Edinburgh A were on the attack soon after and through a series of powerful charges from the forwards, found themselves back deep in Glasgow A territory. Glasgow A struggled to hold onto the ball in their own dead ball area, and Tom Brown gathered to score Edinburgh A’s second try. Te Rure was however unsuccessful with the conversion attempt.

Trailing 12-0, Glasgow A responded well and struck back within five minutes of Brown’s try. An interception from Gregor Young put the visitors on the front foot and a silky interplay between Fraser Lyle and Rory Hughes put the latter in for his side’s opening score. Lyle’s conversion fought valiantly against a strong wind but was unsuccessful.

Whilst the Edinburgh A defence was resolute in the opening quarter of an hour, it began to creak as Glasgow A piled on the pressure. Flank forward Will Bordill broke through a gap in the defence and burst up the field before feeding fellow back-row forward James Eddie. The Scotland Sevens player easily sped away from oncoming defenders to score the second Glasgow A try. The conversion missing, the score remained 12-10 at the break.

On-loan player Hugh Blake was then taken off with concussion after suffering a heavy knock to the head. The youngster was initially knocked out but was able to sit up before leaving the field.

Having being under pressure at the culmination of the first half, Edinburgh A started the second with an intensity akin to that of certain points in the opening 40 minutes. Early territory and possession counted for the home side as they stretched the Glasgow A defence to the limit. A series of penalties forced the visitors back even further and after another pummelling maul, number 8 Magnus Bradbury barged over the line for the third try. Te Rure added the simple extras from in front of the posts to extend the lead to 19-10.

Te Rure would make Glasgow A pay for indiscipline on 60 minutes as the new Kiwi recruit slotted a penalty to make the score 22-10.

Glasgow A’s defence began to tire and eventually could take no more as Edinburgh A spent the remaining 15 minutes in the opposition half. More content to play than to capitulate, Edinburgh A went in search of a fourth try. After innumerable phases, Hoyland bagged his second try of the night with a dive for the line in the corner. Te Rure missed the conversion but Edinburgh A were now out of sight.

Glasgow A battled till the end in search of another try of their own, but slight handling errors prevented the Warriors from achieving their goal. Staunch Edinburgh A defence forced several turnovers, despite indiscipline creeping into the closing stages. Nothing would come of any more phases of play and it was Edinburgh A who secured a 27-10 victory at a cold and blustery BT Murrayfield.

Coach Stevie Scott spoke of his delight post-match: “It was an important game for us tonight and we’re delighted with the win. We based our game on physicality and that’s what we asked for from the guys.”

“It’s great to have Damien back, he’s obviously done really well in the Sevens and he showed some great pace to score that try. It’s good that the Sevens is that tool to develop players and give them that confidence," Scott said.

Scott also spoke of the opportunity for some of his A players to make selection for the upcoming 1872 Cup games against Glasgow Warriors. Edinburgh Rugby make the trip to Scotstoun this Saturday for the first in the back-to-back matches with the return fixture on January 2nd at BT Murrayfield.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 23 Dec 2014, 9:10 am

IanBru wrote:Glasgow have tended to provide a highlight reel for the previous A fixtures, certainly the first one.

Who stole the camcorder?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 23 Dec 2014, 9:15 am

Sounds like Will Bordill played well for Glasgow, and Hoyland's name keeps cropping up for Edinburgh.

I wonder how Solomons justifies to himself selecting Beard and Hidalgo-Clyne on the wing??

Pleasing result, particularly given the soap dodgers included their spiritual leaders, Kellock and Eddie, in their line-up. I half expected their aura to be enough to secure a win for the benefit scroungers, but Edinburgh were obviously too good for such intangibles to count.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 23 Dec 2014, 9:43 am

Can we take the result last night and just use that for the Pro 12 result instead of playing at the weekend?

It jsut goes to show that if you take out Glasgow's Fiji contingent and Edinburgh's SA contingent, Edinburgh are actually the better team!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by JonnyEdinburgh Tue 23 Dec 2014, 10:12 am

I see Glasgow missed both conversions and never scored any points from the boot, didn't realise Finn Russell was playing....

JonnyEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 23 Dec 2014, 10:15 am

Sounds like a really good game with positive contributions by a lot of young SQ players, shame Blake got knocked out, hopefully he won't miss too much of his trial period at Edinburgh.
Apart from Hoyland etc showing good form it was interesting to see Reuben Norville as a Glasgow sub, had to Google him to see who he is; Leicester Tigers academy winger and in the Scotland U20 squad. Would Leicester allowing him to play in this game suggest he may be moving to the Warriors?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 23 Dec 2014, 10:24 am

JonnyEdinburgh wrote:I see Glasgow missed both conversions and never scored any points from the boot, didn't realise Finn Russell was playing....

Laugh

I do think Russell is a good kicker - and am confident he will become a great kicker - but his flakiness recently has been a worry.  

Stuart Barnes talks a lot of crap, but he was spot on when he said that Russell didn't seem to have a set routine, and commented that you didn't see Jonny Wilkinson and Ronan O'Gara dancing about with headphones on when they were doing kicks at goal during the warm up - you don't wear headphones during a game after all.

Of course he could answer all his critics and nail all his kicks against Edinburgh, but the last few weeks have certainly shown why Scotland need Laidlaw at 9 kicking goals just now.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 23 Dec 2014, 10:31 am

I just think it shows that we have more depth in the far reaches of our squad. The Glasgow 1st XV and 2nd XV are comfortably better, world class by all accounts, but Edinburgh have some good young players coming through on the edges of the squad.

Here is first and second choice side by side, better player in bold.

Glasgow vs Edinburgh

1.Reid and Grant vs Dickinson and Sutherland
2.Brown and Hall vs Ford and Cochrane
3.Cusack and Murray vs Nel and Andress
4.Gray and Swinson vs Bresler and McKenzie
5.Nakawara and Kellock vs Gilchrist and B Toolis
6.Harley and Wilson vs Coman and Leonardi
7.Fusaro and Holmes vs Grant and Watson
8.Strauss and Ashe vs Du Preez and Denton - too close to call
9.Matawalu and Pyrgos vs H-C and Hart
10.Russell and Weir vs Tonks and Heathcote
11.DTH and Lamont vs Visser and Farndale
12.Dunbar and Downey vs Scott and Strauss
13.Bennett and Vernon vs Burleigh and Beard
14.Seymour and Maitland vs Fife and Brown
15.Hogg and Murchie vs Cuthbert and Bezzy

But, here's the rub. 3rd XVs:

1.Allen vs Dell
2.MacArthur vs Hilterbrand - too close to call
3.Welsh vs Berghan
4.Ryder vs A Toolis
5.Cummings vs Atkins
6.Spinks vs Ritchie
7.Bordill vs Blake
8.Eddie vs Bradbury - too close to call
9.McConnell vs Kennedy
10.Lyle vs Te Rure
11.Hughes vs McLennan
12.Fergusson vs Dominguez
13.Braid vs Dean
14.Jones vs Hoyland - too close to call
15.Bryce vs Howarth

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by JonnyEdinburgh Tue 23 Dec 2014, 10:46 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
JonnyEdinburgh wrote:I see Glasgow missed both conversions and never scored any points from the boot, didn't realise Finn Russell was playing....

Laugh

I do think Russell is a good kicker - and am confident he will become a great kicker - but his flakiness recently has been a worry.  

Stuart Barnes talks a lot of crap, but he was spot on when he said that Russell didn't seem to have a set routine, and commented that you didn't see Jonny Wilkinson and Ronan O'Gara dancing about with headphones on when they were doing kicks at goal during the warm up - you don't wear headphones during a game after all.

Of course he could answer all his critics and nail all his kicks against Edinburgh, but the last few weeks have certainly shown why Scotland need Laidlaw at 9 kicking goals just now.

I didn't see Barnes saying that but it is a really good point now you mention it. I studied sports coaching a few years ago and that really is page one stuff in terms of finding that extra few percent of consistency at elite level. Things like visualisation all span from getting that set routine as close to identical each time, and mentally placing equal importance on every kick whether it is in the World Cup final, before a league game or in training. Hopefully someone can weave that into his mindset in training etc, but preferably without an irritating head tilt or Jackie Stallone pout added in.

JonnyEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by JonnyEdinburgh Tue 23 Dec 2014, 10:50 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:I just think it shows that we have more depth in the far reaches of our squad. The Glasgow 1st XV and 2nd XV are comfortably better, world class by all accounts, but Edinburgh have some good young players coming through on the edges of the squad.

Here is first and second choice side by side, better player in bold.

Glasgow vs Edinburgh

1.Reid and Grant vs Dickinson and Sutherland
2.Brown and Hall vs Ford and Cochrane
3.Cusack and Murray vs Nel and Andress
4.Gray and Swinson vs Bresler and McKenzie
5.Nakawara and Kellock vs Gilchrist and B Toolis
6.Harley and Wilson vs Coman and Leonardi
7.Fusaro and Holmes vs Grant and Watson
8.Strauss and Ashe vs Du Preez and Denton - too close to call
9.Matawalu and Pyrgos vs H-C and Hart
10.Russell and Weir vs Tonks and Heathcote
11.DTH and Lamont vs Visser and Farndale
12.Dunbar and Downey vs Scott and Strauss
13.Bennett and Vernon vs Burleigh and Beard
14.Seymour and Maitland vs Fife and Brown
15.Hogg and Murchie vs Cuthbert and Bezzy

But, here's the rub. 3rd XVs:

1.Allen vs Dell
2.MacArthur vs Hilterbrand - too close to call
3.Welsh vs Berghan
4.Ryder vs A Toolis
5.Cummings vs Atkins
6.Spinks vs Ritchie
7.Bordill vs Blake
8.Eddie vs Bradbury - too close to call
9.McConnell vs Kennedy
10.Lyle vs Te Rure
11.Hughes vs McLennan
12.Fergusson vs Dominguez
13.Braid vs Dean
14.Jones vs Hoyland - too close to call
15.Bryce vs Howarth

That's a great point regarding squad depth, and I'd only argue with a couple of the bold picks. All we need to do is lobby the league to vastly increase the number of games in the season so everyone plays twice a week. By the New Year other teams will be down to the bare bones whereas our 3rd team will be nearly as strong as our 1st XV!

JonnyEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next