The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Danny Williams still fighting?

+9
kingraf
Rowley
CallMeBenji
Strongback
adamk
88Chris05
Coxy001
RDW
qc2
13 posters

Go down

Danny Williams still fighting? Empty Danny Williams still fighting?

Post by qc2 Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:00 am

Apparently so! According to Boxrec he will be fighting Francois Botha in January. His record now reads 46-24, having lost 15 of his last 18.

He must be in some financial need. Can't imagine the cheques he's fighting for these days amount to much at all.

Are there any worse cases of a fighter fighting on too long than this? A fair few from his L column were stoppages after all.

Quince

qc2

Back to top Go down

Danny Williams still fighting? Empty Re: Danny Williams still fighting?

Post by qc2 Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:02 am

Sorry mods this should be in the boxing forum!

qc2

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:51 pm

Moved to boxing

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Where did he put it originally? Gymnastics?

Sad state of affairs with Danny, still fondly (and some more) remember his one armed knockout of Potter.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:57 pm

I haven't seen any of Williams' fights since his apalling loss to Chisora the best part of five years ago. It was clear that he was already finished and a bloated imitation of the once quite useful fighter he'd previously been even then, so God only knows what kind of spectacles his fights are these days.

For a domestic-level fighter Williams actually earned very nicely from the sport on the back of the Tyson PPV fight and the shot at Vitali over in the States - can only assume that hard-earned money is long gone now, hence why he's climbing through the ropes for peanuts in relative obscurity. What happened to his training to become a body guard in his post-boxing life? If it's still on-going then here's hoping he can start making a living from that a.s.a.p as it will almost certainly be more dignified and safer than what he's doing now.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:07 pm

Chris, isn't he contracted under that little idiot Sauerland? Must admit I thought he'd retired, but a quick check shows he's fought roughly 12 fights over the last couple of years and most have been unlicensed - could well be the darker side of the world are pulling the strings and betting on outcomes.

Real shame, always has real respect for him after the total shellacking he got from Vitali only to keep getting up and keep marching forwards. That and the Tyson/Potter fights of course.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:14 pm

No idea. To be honest I can't see why Sauerland would even want Williams' services or be fussed about him not fulfilling his obligations if that is the case. What value is he to them?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:29 pm

88Chris05 wrote:No idea. To be honest I can't see why Sauerland would even want Williams' services or be fussed about him not fulfilling his obligations if that is the case. What value is he to them?

Just checked and he's not on their roster. Did a bit more research as thought he had signed with him at some point but think it was a fight against a Sauerland prospect and a bit of controversy that's muddling Williams & Sauerland together in my hungover mind.

He is fighting unlicensed though. Would be surprised it the underworld aren't involved in some dodgyness.

Needs to retire but obviously short on options. Shame.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by adamk Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:35 pm

I did an article 3 1/2 years ago saying he made a comeback after retiring and that he should've stayed retired. think I also did one last year.

isn't he on a Latvian license?

adamk

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:34 pm

Still, has more dignity than Larry Holmes who came back when 50-something and fought Butterbean. Worse still, he got knocked down on his way to victory.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:52 pm

In fairness to Big Pants, though, it should never have been called a knock down....And he'll tell anyone who listens just that until his dying day.

Always smile a bit thinking of the way Holmes basically spent his 'second career' telling everyone that Foreman was a phoney and a nasty guy masquerading as a nice one, and how he had no class. Maybe someone should point Holmes towards their respective reactions to defeat.

Foreman after that dubious verdict loss to Briggs: "Don't take it away from that young man. He beat me - if the judges don't give you the fight, then you've lost. He's worked hard to get here and has overcome some hard knocks. He deserves it, he's a good young man. Hey Larry (Merchant), let me try to sell my grill now...." (or something approximately like that, anyway!).

Holmes reflecting on his defeats years later: "I never lost a fight. I was robbed against Spinks because the powers that be wanted to protect Marciano's precious record. I was also robbed by the judges against Holyfield and McCall. I'm the greatest and they just don't want to give it to me." Again, a bit of creative licence there but don't try and tell me you've not heard a Holmes rant strikingly similar to the one above!

And of course there's the Berbick street fight, along with the Rocky Pepeli build up, fight and aftermath, which when combined might just be the greatest unintentional comedy in boxing history.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:00 pm

Wonder why Holmes didn't mention the Tyson fight.  He gave Mikes fists a hellava beating that night.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by CallMeBenji Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:03 pm

I think Danny Williams' fight with Konstantin Airich just about sums up his entire rollercoaster career:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsDNTF-EUG4

I haven't seen anything more blatantly corrupt than this before. If anybody can point me in the direction of something then I'd sure love to see it !

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Have got Holmes' biography at home, he is a surprisingly amusing bloke, but paranoid barely covers it. Guess if you were to make excuses for him dealing with an early 80s version of Don King was probably enough to make anyone a little edgy but dear god he needs to be a little more gracious. Have said it countless times, but he is a top ten guy in pretty much anyones list and has got out of the game with his health and money intact. He has reason to be happy.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:08 pm

Oh my word Botha is still fighting? Thought he was promoting now. Held a box n dine a few months ago, and by all accounts, it was, for its size, a rousing success. Should have retired a few years ago after he beat Flo Simba. It was a nice little story, old warhorse comes back to defeat young upstart (who proceeds to get knocked out again, drop to cruiserweight and get knocked out twice more... maybe less upstart more hype job). Having looked up his recent record, my worries are justified. The old hog has lost five on the bounce, and been knocked out eight times professionally, to go with the three beatdowns Sanders gave him in the amateurs. Can't think this fight sells to anyone except Ex-pat South Africans who are looking for a reminder of die Oud Republiek, and masochists.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Will admit Rowley that I actually love a bit of Holmes for that very reason - he's a funny guy and is usually in great form on camera. I genuinely think he's a nice bloke overall as well, just bitter as hell when it comes to boxing. By rights it should be easy to dislike him, but I've never been able to. Great character.

His Canastota induction speech and his post-fight interview after losing to Spinks, where he gets in that confrontation with Marciano's brother Peter, are essential viewing.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:15 pm

Strongback wrote:Wonder why Holmes didn't mention the Tyson fight.  He gave Mikes fists a hellava beating that night.

Didn't have enough time to train, was only there for the money in any case, was about to spark Tyson with a monstrous uppercut but got his glove trapped in the ropes for a split second (we're talking about two seconds flat before Tyson ended things, can just about see it on camera) which led to his unlucky downfall.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:49 pm

Thought boxing was in desperate straits when Bugner won the WBF title against Botha after Botha dislocated his shoulder throwing a jab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by qc2 Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:59 pm

Coxy001 wrote:Where did he put it originally? Gymnastics?

Sad state of affairs with Danny, still fondly (and some more) remember his one armed knockout of Potter.

it found its way to Rugby Union... guilty as charged!

Danny Williams should certainly retire but I don't see it happening quite yet based on his recent encounters. He seems not to care about the obvious 'dodgyness' surrounding his fights and with his L column ever increasing I can't see him drawing a line in the sand to preserve what's left of his record.

qc2

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:41 pm

He needs the money and knows how to get it quickly.

I mean I remember Colin Hart saying something that I rarely agreed with him for when Chisora beat up on his carcass. "That was sad, no other word for it than sad"

Williams looked like he could barely move at that point. God knows what he's like now after a few more pastings.

And as for him being on the Sauerland roster Coxy, you're thinking of Michael Sprott pulling off an upset against a Sauerland fighter and not getting the decision but then reversing it in the rematch.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Danny Williams still fighting? Empty Danny Williams still fighting

Post by rapidringsroad Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:40 pm

[quote="DAVE667"]Thought boxing was in desperate straits when Bugner won the WBF title against Botha after Botha dislocated his shoulder throwing a jab!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/I thought I didn't remember Bugner and Botha fighting each other so I just looked up Box Rec and it was Smith who dislocated his shoulder in the first round giving the title to Bugner. Merry Christmas to all from New Zealand.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:18 pm

Yes, Botha is the guy who was involved in that Sonny Bill fight that was promoted and advertised as a twelve rounder, but was in fact a ten rounder, and we only found out about this... well, on the tenth round.

At least boxing can't get more black eyes
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Willliams was a disgrace against Chisora to be fair. He turned up and didnt even try. Just took the money.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:26 am

rapidringsroad wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Thought boxing was in desperate straits when Bugner won the WBF title against Botha after Botha dislocated his shoulder throwing a jab!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/I thought I didn't remember Bugner and Botha fighting each other so I just looked up Box Rec and it was Smith who dislocated his shoulder in the first round giving the title to Bugner. Merry Christmas to all from New Zealand.
Cheers mate, knew it was Bugner vs some old codger. They used that fight as a justification for referring to Bugner as a "World Boxing Champion" when he appeared on "I'm a Celebrity...Get me out of here"

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:07 pm

Strongback wrote:Wonder why Holmes didn't mention the Tyson fight.  He gave Mikes fists a hellava beating that night.
HA! Holmes stood absolutely no chance that night. If Leonard was brave for coming back and fighting Hagler after a three year layoff, then Holmes was heroic/suicidal for coming back after a two year layoff to fight Tyson.

I've always liked Holmes, great character and great fighter. He's right to be bitter about his losses to Spinks, I thought he won them both. The shame about it all is that for me, he didn't need to try and beat Marciano's record. 48-0 with twenty title defences is better than 49-0 with six title defences.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down