The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rigo wins again.

+10
milkyboy
88Chris05
Strongback
mobilemaster8
John Bloody Wayne
Hammersmith harrier
3fingers
hazharrison
Seanusarrilius
hampo17
14 posters

Go down

Rigo wins again. Empty Rigo wins again.

Post by hampo17 Wed 31 Dec 2014, 4:05 pm

surprised this hasn't been discussed already, earlier Rigondeaux defended his titles in Japan with a late TKO victory. However he didn't have it all his own way and was dropped twice in the 7th round.

Rigondeaux had called Santa Cruz out recently and said he'd fight him in January, however Santa Cruz looks to be defending his title against lesser opposition on the Wilder vs Stiverne undercard.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Rigo wins again. Empty Re: Rigo wins again.

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 31 Dec 2014, 4:17 pm

Shame that nobody will have paid attention to this due to it being in Japan on Dec 30th. If others in the division saw Rigo looking vulnerable, they may be willing to fight him.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 31 Dec 2014, 4:26 pm

While he looks vulnerable, and was really hurt the state of his opponent was frightening. It looked like he had a golf ball in one side of mouth and tennis ball in the other.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 31 Dec 2014, 4:29 pm

Rigo got caught with his hands down - defensively quite lapse at times.

Great fight for Frampton once he navigates past Avalos and Quigg.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 31 Dec 2014, 5:06 pm

Frampton may have the beating of him in a year. Rigo isn't getting any younger.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed 31 Dec 2014, 5:44 pm

Oh come on, the first was a blatant slip, while for the second he was wrestled to the floor after being wobbled by a right hook.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed 31 Dec 2014, 5:50 pm

Its also difficult for a counter puncher like rigo, at 5ft 4, to be super effective against a busy determined 5ft 11 (!!!) superbantamweight, with a 4inch reach advantage. Rigo is tiny, talk of him moving up to lomenchenko is hilarious.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 31 Dec 2014, 7:57 pm

Not watched the fight yet but by the sounds of it the best of the rest will suddenly become interested, wonder if it was a ploy by Rigo that backfired somewhat in the seventh?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 01 Jan 2015, 5:25 pm

He must have some serious punch resistance issues if his legs go that shaky from a slip, and although I agree the second knockdown was more of a wrestle, he went down because his legs were gone.

I've not seen the other guy fight before, but he was an enormous super bantamweight. Rigo certainly won't be outboxed, but LSC's a fairly big, strong super bantam and I'd wager a better puncher than Amasaga. That fight looks competitive.

Credit to Rigo for showing his grit, in any case. His punch resistance might not be the best, but he can think on his feet and doesn't look like he's slowing down any time soon.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 01 Jan 2015, 6:12 pm

Think the criticism of his resistance is a tad harsh if I'm honest.

He battered his opposition all night long, broke his orbital bone AND his jaw along with cutting him....

He was handily ahead on the cards and got caught flush with his hands down in the 7th....got his by a massive right cross.

Donaire put him down with a similar shot....but this one had more length on it.

He was shaken...I don't even think the 2nd was a slip...he got tagged again whilst hurt and went down whilst trying to grab on.

His problem is his concentration at times....he cruises past fighters like their amateurs....

If he fights the likes of LSC, Frampton etc you may see him put on a clinic....like he did against Donaire...

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 01 Jan 2015, 6:50 pm

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying he's not a master boxer by any means, but the simple fact that he is so good, was largely dominant and didn't get hit very much, yet ended up with such a swollen mug strongly hints that he doesn't physically stand up to punishment that well. That won't matter if he maintains concentration and is as elusive as he can be, but the if is there.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Thu 01 Jan 2015, 8:22 pm

The first was was a slip; he was pivoting on the front foot to move from orthodox to southpaw - to turn his opponent to regain the centre of the ring. He was caught mid-pivot with one foot on the ground, he was unusually off-balance...it was a slip.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 01 Jan 2015, 8:51 pm

Was reading some comments on the fight earlier, didn't see it myself. Seemed to be a view that while Rigo won well and seemed to underestimate/not respect his oppoent there were still signs his legs are starting to show their age.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 01 Jan 2015, 8:59 pm

3fingers wrote:The first was was a slip; he was pivoting on the front foot to move from orthodox to southpaw - to turn his opponent to regain the centre of the ring. He was caught mid-pivot with one foot on the ground, he was unusually off-balance...it was a slip.

Wasn't a slip, he ended up flat on his backside because he got careless.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Thu 01 Jan 2015, 11:25 pm

I've watched it on repeat maybe 15 times - he got knocked to the floor by a punch when he was off balance - its a slip, but they're ruled a knockdowns. I get frustrated when things are glaringly obvious. 'Boxing Fans' are blind - they see nothing more than a punch land and a man go down.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 01 Jan 2015, 11:31 pm

3fingers wrote:I've watched it on repeat maybe 15 times - he got knocked to the floor by a punch when he was off balance - its a slip, but they're ruled a knockdowns. I get frustrated when things are glaringly obvious.  'Boxing Fans' are blind - they see nothing more than a punch land and a man go down.

Without the punch he doesn't go down Fingers therefore it's a knockdown, he doesn't slip he gets felled.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 01 Jan 2015, 11:46 pm

Can't see how anyone could say it was a slip or could only be classed as a knockdown if you're being pedantic, 3fingers. It was a clear knockdown - Rigondeaux wanted to hold once the action resumed and his legs looked pretty loose. A clean shot on the chin - he doesn't take many of them, but that doesn't mean there has to be a mitigating factor when he eventually does cop one.

You've called it a slip and then also said it was a balance issue, but often they're two separate things. A slip implies that he lost his footing from underneath him without any force, which just didn't happen. The impact of the shot took him off his feet. As for the balance issue, well yeah, he wasn't in an ideal position to be taking a shot, but that doesn't mean it's not a knockdown. Froch was in a terrible position when Groves decked him, his chin wide open and his legs left behind him as the lunged in etc - was that a knockdown which comes with an asterisk next to it as well? Not an exact comparison, I know, but you get my drift.

Genuinely can't see why there'd be any debate, to be honest - sorry pal!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 02 Jan 2015, 12:32 am

I see what you're saying about slip vs off balance, I guess my choice of words could have been better.

Rigo was pivoting and got caught with one foot on the floor; a glancing blow would have took him off his feet (at the exact moment in time). From a boxing standpoint the comparison with the froch knockdown is shocking, though in the context of your argument I understand why you used it.

On returning to his he feet, knowing his opponent would be emboldened, and rush in, he holds. The right hook that shook Rigo prior to the second knockdown was embarrassing, so much so, it gives weight to the suggestion he was hurt by the shot which landed for the first knockdown (I'm surprised no one has used that to counter my off balance claim).

The facts are:

1) if he wasn't off balance the shot wouldn't have put him down.
2) a shot landed, he went down, in accordance with the rules it's a knockdown.
3) giving away seven inches in height is difficult for anyone, but even more so for a counter puncher.
4) Rigo won and looked good in doing so.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 02 Jan 2015, 12:55 pm

3fingers, I appreciate that Amagasa was a tough stylistic match up for a short, compact guy like Rigondeaux and that his overall performance, round seven aside, was good to watch - we're on the same page there. I enjoyed seeing him show a bit more spite in his punches.

But I don't think you can say with certainty that he wouldn't have been knocked down by that shot (which was right on the sweet spot, regardless of how much force it carried or how Rigondeaux's body was positioned) had he been in a more secure stance. History shows that if you can find a way to land flush on Rigondeaux chances are you can shake him up. He was put down by a very innocuous looking shot against Cordoba, for instance.

Unlike here, Rigondeaux wasn't looking to hold as soon as action resumed against Donaire after he got knocked down, so I think there's plenty of evidence to suggest he was legitimately hurt here.

Because he's a great defensive fighter it seems to me as if people simply don't want to believe he can get hurt and floored now and then, or something. I can't recall ever seeing a knockdown as clear as this one being debated or having a "yeah, but..." argument attached to it in any way, really.

You could probably discredit or downplay the majority of knockdowns from any fights if your argument rests on one guy having made a small mistake beforehand or not being in a perfect position to take a shot.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 02 Jan 2015, 1:02 pm

Rigo was obviously claiming a slip after the first knockdown.. Impossible to tell whether it was a flash knockdown or not, but from his desire to hold you'd think he was hurt... And he certainly was by the right hand prior to the second knockdown.

I'm no rigo afficionado like fingers, but in the fights I've seen him, for all his general defensive excellence, he seems prone to get caught backing up from exchanges, the donaire knockdown was similar, and from memory he got caught a few times like that by cordoba and marroquin.

Fantastic celebration from the Japanese lad after the first knockdown!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 02 Jan 2015, 1:10 pm

As we've seen he can definitely be hurt, but we cant disregard he was basically pirouetting when that shot landed (8min 46)........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imJpCRT-en0&feature=youtu.be

I also think closing the distance on a rangy fighter buoyed by confidence after a knockdown is a reasonably sensible thing to do in most circumstances, despite it leading to the second knockdown.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 02 Jan 2015, 7:31 pm

No surprise to me............Said it all a long ..34/35 is ancient for a small fighter as good as he is !!..........

You can get away with it at higher weights.............

Frampton sets a good pace he'll beat this guy.........

Pedroza was four pounds heavier and considered past it when he fought Mcguigan at 30...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 02 Jan 2015, 9:00 pm

Good to see you back

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 02 Jan 2015, 9:32 pm

3fingers wrote:Good to see you back

Sarcasm alive and well in the UK...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 02 Jan 2015, 10:49 pm

It was sincere.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 03 Jan 2015, 12:58 am

We have to remember (or I do anyway becuz I was giving Rigo the abuse too after Donaire) about his fight with Córdoba . That was a belter fight with KD's on either side. Not checking Boxrec but wasn't it 2 fights before Donaire and probably the performance that made Arum make Donaire vs Rigo. Arum was just bitter because his " next Manny" got humiliated. But even though Rigo got cut from the TR stable, correct me if Im wrong but hasn't his last 2 fights been on TR cards?? Or maybe it's just a network issue. They were just so keen on Donaire. When Rigo goes aggressive he is lethal. It's took me a while to take to him but I think I'm there now. It's rock, paper, scissors. Which of Frampton, LSC and Quigg would make the best fight style wise. I'd say Leo would be chasing all night. Quigg and Frampton (although i think Rigo beats them all) would be the more entertaining to watch.

Thoughts?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 03 Jan 2015, 1:49 am

Quigg would get murdered, frampton would be beat handily, and i've never watched LSC so couldn't comment.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 03 Jan 2015, 2:09 am

Just watched a few random seconds of LCS vs Munoz:

He reminds me of small margarito; an immobile slow clubber who doesn't use his height and reach to full effect.

Nothing for Rigo to worry about, other than the punch. All three carry more than enough power to drop him.

I think Frampton would probably come out strong but revert to 'boxing mode' after being caught with the left a few times; from then on Framptons rythm or cadence would more closely match rigo's, then rigo has it won.

Rigo has the ability to make fighters, with the ability to think, over think. This is a unnecessary skill versus Quigg; as Quigg would very quickly run out of ideas then proceed to be a punchbag.

From the small amount I've seen of LSC he doesn't strike me as a cerebral fighter. However his size, strength and toughness will give anyone a hard figh.......but he's predictable. Rigo will be made to work, he'll probably be bullied at times, but his speed, elusiveness and ringcraft will largely make LSC look as though he's fighting underwater.

Last edited by 3fingers on Sat 03 Jan 2015, 3:05 am; edited 2 times in total

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 03 Jan 2015, 2:29 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kfOfz2fBHQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24gd8Yw62S4

2015 will probably be the last year he remains unbeaten; like truss says, little ones don't last long. He's already an old man. As soon as his reflexes/speed start to lag behind his ringcraft he's finished.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 03 Jan 2015, 2:03 pm

LSC a slow clubbed??? He throws on average around 100 punches around and more times than not 1000 punches a fight . Aye he's a snail in boxing terms
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 03 Jan 2015, 2:06 pm

Quigg and Frampton may be beat but at least it would be a fight that would see each fighter have a go. With Santa Cruz I see Rigo going on a big back foot due to the pressure to find his spots and that may make him look dull to the crowd again. That was my point. If you have only watched a few seconds of LSC then I advise you go watch more. A slow clubber as a description couldn't be anymore wrong. He has a massive output
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 03 Jan 2015, 2:58 pm

You can throw a lot of punches without having fast hands or feet dee. I can see what fingers means about Lsc. I might have called him a high output grinder.

But hey, let's not forget, you could call carlos monzon a slow clubber, but it worked quite well for him.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 03 Jan 2015, 8:52 pm

Can just see Rigo on the back foot against LSC making him miss hundreds and pickin his spots. But against Quigg for instance I see him not moving so much, even tho I think he wins my point was it would be entertaining I think. Think Scott would give it a good go. No shame in losing to the best either
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 03 Jan 2015, 10:27 pm

Everybody always forgets this guy's age............Little fossils grow old overnight....

I pick Frampton to beat him.............When they go...... they go overnight....Only a matter of time..

Azumah Nelson was losing to crud like Leija at Rigo's age.............and Nelson was every bit as good as this guy !!.......and bigger !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 04 Jan 2015, 3:11 am

Rigo has had few pro fights and very little wear and tear. Make him a slightly different case to Zoomy.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 04 Jan 2015, 1:59 pm

Pedroza never took a beating off anybody.....He was an old man at 30....

The body is the body..............It ages...........Pace slows....Reflexes slow....

Took me longer to recover between sets at 34 than it did at 24..........Had to cut down my training sessions also..

Name me a single fighter from 122 down who dominated at or near Rigo's age..........Then I'll take it back..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 04 Jan 2015, 2:49 pm

Eder Jofre.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 04 Jan 2015, 5:36 pm

Yep great shout.......But If I was pedantic I did say 122 down and he was 30 when he lost his Bantam title.....No 122 pound title then and he went on to win at feather ..Wink

But you're right....................One name though shows how extrtaordinary it is..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 05 Jan 2015, 11:28 am

Both kd's looked fairly legit to me. Rigo has never been known for his chin though, and he's always looked vulnerable when tagged - it's just he almost never is (clean, at least)!!

His footwork is nothing short of sensational, though arguably to be expected from arguably one of the greatest amateurs ever.

Still, that was the first round he lost since beating the p4p #3!!

Hopefully, if it makes him look a little more beatable, he'll get another big fight or two.

The size difference in that fight was ridiuclous though, almost thought he was fighting a lightweight! Sadly I think calls for him to fight Lomachenko, as mouth watering as that may be, are ridiculous - size difference too great. Would rather see him take on some of the exciting FW fights, like Mares or the dangerous looking Walters (who's big at the weight as it is).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 05 Jan 2015, 11:47 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Yep great shout.......But If I was pedantic I did say 122 down and he was 30 when he lost his Bantam title.....No 122 pound title then and he went on to win at feather ..Wink

But you're right....................One name though shows how extrtaordinary it is..
It's stretching the truth a bit to say he dominated anyway, got lucky against Legra and aside from that only fought a post retirement Saldivar.

Zaragoza, Nishioka and Vasquez are the only others I can think of who had success in their late 30's.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Mon 05 Jan 2015, 3:25 pm

Why is 'writer' written under Reeborn's name?

Anyway, Rigo had that Japanese fellow looking E.T. By the end of that fight. Brutal mash up, and but for one right hook Rigo bossed the dude for the majority of the fight, despite that guy having huge advantages in reach and size.

Go Rigo go!

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down