The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rigo vs Donaire Looks Done: Who Wins?

+19
mobilemaster8
Pedro147
bellchees
manos de piedra
captain carrantuohil
Seanusarrilius
Mind the windows Tino.
milkyboy
BoxingFan88
TheMackemMawler
AlexHuckerby
Imperial Ghosty
TopHat24/7
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
ShahenshahG
Soldier_Of_Fortune
88Chris05
TRUSSMAN66
davidemore
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Rigo vs Donaire Looks Done: Who Wins?  Empty Rigo vs Donaire Looks Done: Who Wins?

Post by davidemore Tue 29 Jan 2013, 1:37 pm

http://www.boxingscene.com/donaire-vs-rigondeaux-close-done-april-13--61868

I mean, let's be honest, the day Bob Arum refuses to match his own fighters is the day he is done in boxing. He needs to make up with GBP, they match everyone and anyone for the sake of boxing. Anyway, who wins this fight?

For me, it will be a bloody close one, but ONLY if Rigo doesn't try to fight fire with fire. If both go looking for a KO then he will lose that battle IMO. If he is patient, counters with the speed we know he has, and uses his amazing reflexes, he has a good chance against the amazing Nonito.

If pushed to choose now I'd say Rigo by split decision or Nonito by KO. So hard to call!

Thoughts? heart

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Rigo vs Donaire Looks Done: Who Wins?  Empty Re: Rigo vs Donaire Looks Done: Who Wins?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 1:42 pm

Boxing will be the winner Wink

I love that cliche..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Rigo vs Donaire Looks Done: Who Wins?  Empty Re: Rigo vs Donaire Looks Done: Who Wins?

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 1:43 pm

I'll be ecstatic if this fight gets confirmed.

Can't look past a Donaire victory right now, however. Granted, it's going to be a rare instance of him facing someone just about as quick as him, but Donaire is just a giant at the moment, a giant who seems to be indomitable. Rigondeaux can be shaken so he'd be well advised to make it a pure boxing match, but here's the problem; he's facing someone who can box himself, and who has the best legs / footwork in boxing right now bar none.

Donaire doesn't really jab all that much and does sometimes hold those hands low, so there's a window of hope for Rigondeaux there, but right now I just don't think he's got the big time experience and know how to find a way around Nonito.

Donaire by mid to late rounds stoppage.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 29 Jan 2013, 1:48 pm

Good insight, right there.

I think if Rigo uses combinations and fights well off the back foot he has a shot. Also, if he can counter well, this is absolutely key. He has a very good uppercut that i would like to see him use. Also, he needs to pivot and get off at the body of Donaire. I haven't seen anyone work his body good yet. He needs to be slowed down. Easier said than down, of course.

Tight fight this one.

I wonder how much Top Rank will pay each fighter if GBP offered 3 million for the Mares fight? 1-1.5 mill for Donaire and maybe 800 G's-1 mill for Rigo?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 29 Jan 2013, 1:49 pm

Rigo has got it in his locker to cause an upset here. Donaire does prefer his fighters to come forward which Rigo doesn't do! He has got power to trouble Donaire and is one of the best counter punchers around today. For Rigo to stand a chance he must not let the rounds slip away and remain active for the full 12.

I reckon Donaire UD, don't he will be wading in like he did against Mathebula or Narvaez, I reckon he will show Rigo respect and use he speed and power from the outside.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 29 Jan 2013, 1:52 pm

Donaire Ko 1

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 1:53 pm

Rigo will be a starr.........

I go with Shah...tried and tested....Donaire but by late stoppage..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 29 Jan 2013, 1:54 pm

KO in 1??? No way.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 29 Jan 2013, 1:56 pm

Just look at the openings Rigo leaves on the right, its ok against most not so against Nonito, If it isnt over by three I shall be very surprised but KO 1 is my prediction

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 1:57 pm

I predict a riot...I predict a riot..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 29 Jan 2013, 1:58 pm

TRUSS leave my thread now or face the wrath.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 2:01 pm

Must say I don't think it will be as easy as Shah submits.....But his defensive frailties are there for all to see....

Donaire though for me isn't perfect...love to see how he would have fared with a Carbajal or Lopez...... and then a Happy Lora.......Pintor and Gomez....

He is world class though

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 2:01 pm

You haven't apologised for calling me a racist with no evidence to prove it...

Last I looked that is slander..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 29 Jan 2013, 2:03 pm

I did dude, privately. Remember? You're bringing your beef public, again...

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 2:04 pm

Be more hospitable to your guests then..and I'll forgive you.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 29 Jan 2013, 2:06 pm

"Could you be loved, woah now, and be looooved, don't let them fool ya, oh no..."

Bob Marley. heart

Donaire vs Rigo is Top Ranks final card. And a good one. They are cooked after this one. Pac is done, and Arum is punishing Bradley and keeping him out of action. Plus, Timothy couldn't sell penicillin to a ho, let alone tickets to a boxing match. Arum finally builds him up and then leaves him on the bench for 8 months. Tut, tut.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 2:12 pm

Do you think you can big up Bradley??...........

he is just plain boring......in personality and style....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 29 Jan 2013, 2:21 pm

Rigo is open to the left hook, Donaire has the best left hook in boxing atm and throws it with a speed and ferocity Rigo hasn't seen before

Donaire might be open to the body, Rigo is one of the best body puncher in boxing today

Great fight although one for the purists. Counter puncher vs an unorhodox slick boxing won't mesh well as a spectacle

Rigo definately has the skills to make it a fight but dont think he has the chin to pull off the win

Donaire KO rounds 9-10

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 29 Jan 2013, 2:27 pm

WHU_champ in English please.

Bradley deserves a fight at least TRUSS?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 29 Jan 2013, 2:32 pm

Understand it now?

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 29 Jan 2013, 3:06 pm

Thanks mate!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 4:40 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You haven't apologised for calling me a racist with no evidence to prove it...

Libel actually, as it was in writing.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 4:43 pm

Think I'm with WHU on this. Donaire's toughest test to date and a beaut for the purists, maybe a shock in there somewhere but I just haven't seen enough of Rigo as a pro to suggest he can take the future p4p#1 out.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 29 Jan 2013, 4:45 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You haven't apologised for calling me a racist with no evidence to prove it...

Libel actually, as it was in writing.

Wrong, its Slander, because Davidemore tells his hand puppet what to type. Mr fluffy false pink Winkle is guilty of Libel.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:37 pm

I'm predicting an early knockout for Donaire in this one around the 3rd or 4th, he is put in the simplest terms far too good to lose to Rigo. His left hand will be like a homing missile on Rigos chin and once he lands flush it's fight over. Might be a presumptious to say but in the lower divisions I would only make Jofre a firm favourite over him.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:31 pm

I don't think Rigo has much of a chance as I've previously said in other threads when this fight comes up. Just not enough Professional experience and has struggled with fighters miles below Donaire up to now, and is open to Donaire's greatest weapon, the left hook.

Don't really see how it goes all that long to be honest, Rigo to me isn't anywhere near the toughest test of Donaire's career, he hasn't done a single thing as a pro and hasn't looked all that impressive when he's been in against a genuinely good boxer and has been seriously a few times by an average fighter in Marroquin. Montiel, Darchinyan were all fighters of a far higher quality who were proven in the weight class and at world level.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:38 pm

Rigo needs to concentrate 100% for 36 minutes. Such is Donaires power, any lapse and he gets KO'd .

Donaire is naturally gifted and finds angles almost instinctively. Rigo needs to slow the pace make him over think. He can do this by timing Donaires attacks. He then needs to work Donaires body with single rear hand shots.

Combinations are not to be used against Donaire. Throwing combinations will leave Rigo's chin exposed. This is not a good move against a huge puncher with amazing accuracy and speed. Thankfully, this is not Rigo's style.

Slowing the pace, concentration, and single well timed shots are key for Rigo. If he can force Donaire to over-think, Donaire may attempt to up the tempo with over-aggressive leaping shots. If Donaire does this then Rigo should be able to time him in the same way JMM timed Manny. The result of timing Donaire won't quite be as spectacular, but he should still be able to put him on his a.rse for a flash knock down.

However, on the flip side, all it takes is a single unorthodox leaping power shot from Donaire to stun Rigo. From that point on i would expect a slaughter. Donaire is a fantastic finisher. Rigo hasn't enough experience to weather a storm.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:41 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:Rigo needs to concentrate 100% for 36 minutes. Such is Donaires power, any lapse and he gets KO'd .

Donaire is naturally gifted and finds angles almost instinctively. Rigo needs to slow the pace make him over think. He can do this by timing Donaires attacks. He then needs to work Donaires body with single rear hand shots.

Combinations are not to be used against Donaire. Throwing combinations will leave Rigo's chin exposed. This is not a good move against a huge puncher with amazing accuracy and speed. Thankfully, this is not Rigo's style.

Slowing the pace, concentration, and single well timed shots are key for Rigo. If he can force Donaire to over-think, Donaire may attempt to up the tempo with over-aggressive leaping shots. If Donaire does this then Rigo should be able to time him in the same way JMM timed Manny. The result of timing Donaire won't quite be as spectacular, but he should still be able to put him on his a.rse for a flash knock down.

However, on the flip side, all it takes is a single unorthodox leaping power shot from Donaire to stun Rigo. From that point on i would expect a slaughter. Donaire is a fantastic finisher. Rigo hasn't enough experience to weather a storm.

Yeah, Rigo's getting flattened mate. Sorry...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:48 pm

Nah, I think if Rigo slows the fight down then he can compete.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:50 pm

davidemore wrote:Nah, I think if Rigo slows the fight down then he can compete.

If my Auntie had balls she'd be my uncle. She doesn't and he can't do that for 12.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:51 pm

Donaire is a very smart fighter, he's going to have seen that Rigo seems to lack in the chin department so wont let him settle from the first bell until he closes the show. If Rigo looked like he could take a shot then the outlook for this fight would be completely different.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:59 pm

He has two Olympic golds, is undefeated, and a world champion Alex.

I don't know your auntie but I suspect that she is: ill groomed, easy, and not an Olympian Gold Medalist.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:00 pm

But Donaire is oh, so wrong for him in every way.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:04 pm

He isn't, and the man can adjust, it will be a great fight.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:10 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Rigo is open to the left hook, Donaire has the best left hook in boxing atm and throws it with a speed and ferocity Rigo hasn't seen before

I remember a little while back you saying a left hook was useless against a southpaw?

I've always maintained the left hook was one of the best punches against a southpaw, especially when used as a counter against the southpaw jab.

Rigo's right hand in gaurd position is away from his chin but catching it with the lead left left hook will be difficult such is Rigo's footwork and reflex.

If Rigo is caught by a fight deciding hook, it will be in close, defending against a combination, while trying to be clever by slipping with his hands by his hips.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:23 pm

No need to try and be cute in this fight. Skills will pay the bills, and patience.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:24 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Rigo is open to the left hook, Donaire has the best left hook in boxing atm and throws it with a speed and ferocity Rigo hasn't seen before

I remember a little while back you saying a left hook was useless against a southpaw?

I've always maintained the left hook was one of the best punches against a southpaw, especially when used as a counter against the southpaw jab.

Rigo's right hand in gaurd position is away from his chin but catching it with the lead left left hook will be difficult such is Rigo's footwork and reflex.

If Rigo is caught by a fight deciding hook, it will be in close, defending against a combination, while trying to be clever by slipping with his hands by his hips.

Didnt say it was useless, I was talking about the Chavez-Martinez fight in particular as I believed that Chavez lacked the speed, footwork and technique to land that as a lead against a fighter like Martinez. He proved me right to as the first time he landed it was after landing a straight right which is one of the things I said he needed to do.

As you said Rigo has his right infront of his chin and despite great footwork and reflexes to pivot or slip punches I think that Donaire's ability to spring in and out of range like he can (with that much power) is something special and while he can be countered he very rarely doesn't come out worse when he does spring in

Rigo needs to really use his jab to set up his offence but needs to be wary not to be countered so he can't be lazy with it which is why (can't completely remember the fight) I think he got tagged by Marroquin. He was lazy with his jab, stayed in range and got tagged

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:48 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:
TheMackemMawler wrote:

Didnt say it was useless, I was talking about the Chavez-Martinez fight in particular as I believed that Chavez lacked the speed, footwork and technique to land that as a lead against a fighter like Martinez. He proved me right to as the first time he landed it was after landing a straight right which is one of the things I said he needed to do.

As you said Rigo has his right infront of his chin and despite great footwork and reflexes to pivot or slip punches I think that Donaire's ability to spring in and out of range like he can (with that much power) is something special and while he can be countered he very rarely doesn't come out worse when he does spring in

Rigo needs to really use his jab to set up his offence but needs to be wary not to be countered so he can't be lazy with it which is why (can't completely remember the fight) I think he got tagged by Marroquin. He was lazy with his jab, stayed in range and got tagged

I don't remember the conversion in full. I just remember manos and myself held one position while you held the other.

Anyway,

Of course I agree. If Rigo's throws lazy jab he'll likely be caught with the hook. However, the thinker that Rigo is, I suspect he will throw a few lazy jabs intentionally in an attempt to make Donaire initiate a leap so he can counter.

If I were Donaire my plan would be simple...feet always in contact with the floor, relentless volume and lots of power. That's the way to beat a fragile tactician with limited pro experience.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:14 pm

Don't agree, Rigo holds enough power to punish Donaire if he becomes too aggressive

Donaire holds speed, height, reach and power advantages and (despite Rigo's amateur career) is the more experianced over the 12 round distance. Goe stir broke he plays to Rigo's strengths and takes away his advantages

Donaire also started at flyweight and despite being a big frame he has neve that to rely on his chin to bail him out so isn't going to lay on your chest taking some to get his own off and he doenst have a great inside game

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:22 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:Rigo needs to concentrate 100% for 36 minutes. Such is Donaires power, any lapse and he gets KO'd .

Check the bold text out.

You are pretty much in agreement with what i said earlier, even though you start your last post with I disagree?

I think Donaire needs to catch Rigo with something big, not let him recover, and apply then apply the pressure, power and volume (the bit in italics).

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:32 pm

To whoever thinks Donaire's speed will be an important factor...

Timing Nullifies Speed.

...Ask Garcia and Marquez.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:32 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:
If I were Donaire my plan would be simple...feet always in contact with the floor, relentless volume and lots of power. That's the way to beat a fragile tactician with limited pro experience.

That's what I read, that's why I disagree as that won't help Donaire

You basically contradicted yourself saying that Rigo can take advantage of Donaire being overly aggressive going for big powerful shots then you say that if you were Donaire you would be aggressive throwing lots of powerful shots. Why would you advise him to fight like this given what you originally said

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:37 pm

Excellent talk on this thread thus far. Talk like this reminds me why we call it the sweet science.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:45 pm

Last edited by TheMackemMawler on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:45 pm

Donaire by KO, take it to the bank.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:46 pm

Ok, i will spell this out....again! Very Happy

Rigo will want to fight at a slow pace. He will attempt to time Donaire's leaping attacks, if/when Donaire starts being countered his natural instinctive attacks will be become less and he will start to think more. Donaire over thinking will play into Rigo's hands because it will slow the fight down more. Donaire will become frustrated and LEAP IN AND BECOME OVER-AGGRESSIVE (fighting with heart rather than head). This again will mean Rigo times him in the same way JMM timed Manny.

Donaire should fight at a frentetic pace, not allow Rigo the time and space that he thrives on. Why allow Rigo to slow the fight. Donaire needs to be aggressive relentless and and throw a volume of power shots. He needs to do this while thinking, but, maintaining his instinctive flair...... but most importantly KEEPING HIS FEET IN CONTACT WITH THE FLOOR. Rigo when caught and not given space and time will not weather the storm (due to a lack of experience). Intelligent aggression by Donaire is what is required not leaping over-aggressive shots born out of frustration.

At some point, a leaping Donaire power shot may get through and Donaire may turn the screw and finish it.

No contradictions there my friend. All i have done is paraphrased my posts.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 9:48 am

TheMackemMawler wrote:To whoever thinks Donaire's speed will be an important factor...

Timing Nullifies Speed.

Great point!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 30 Jan 2013, 9:50 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TheMackemMawler wrote:To whoever thinks Donaire's speed will be an important factor...

Timing Nullifies Speed.

Great point!

Yeah - and speed and timing nullifies timing, Hence donaire ko 1

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 10:38 am

Lol

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:12 pm

I am in the minority of hoping this fight doesn't happen. I hate to see a grown man cry, and mackem seems like a nice chap.

Like pretty much everyone it's the question marks about rigo's punch resistance, that looks the critical factor. That said, I don't think donaire has fought anyone like rigo, and there's nothing to suggest that a guy of his undoubted class is just going to roll over for him.

I'm not quite at the top of the donaire love-in queue, and think he still has a way to go before justifying the atg status that he's getting in some quarters. But he has no glaring weaknesses, good skills and speed and hits like a mule. its a tasty mix. Donaire warm favourite, but I don't see it as the foregone conclusion some seem to.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next