The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rigo vs Donaire Looks Done: Who Wins?

+19
mobilemaster8
Pedro147
bellchees
manos de piedra
captain carrantuohil
Seanusarrilius
Mind the windows Tino.
milkyboy
BoxingFan88
TheMackemMawler
AlexHuckerby
Imperial Ghosty
TopHat24/7
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
ShahenshahG
Soldier_Of_Fortune
88Chris05
TRUSSMAN66
davidemore
23 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Rigo vs Donaire Looks Done: Who Wins?  - Page 2 Empty Rigo vs Donaire Looks Done: Who Wins?

Post by davidemore Tue 29 Jan 2013, 1:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.boxingscene.com/donaire-vs-rigondeaux-close-done-april-13--61868

I mean, let's be honest, the day Bob Arum refuses to match his own fighters is the day he is done in boxing. He needs to make up with GBP, they match everyone and anyone for the sake of boxing. Anyway, who wins this fight?

For me, it will be a bloody close one, but ONLY if Rigo doesn't try to fight fire with fire. If both go looking for a KO then he will lose that battle IMO. If he is patient, counters with the speed we know he has, and uses his amazing reflexes, he has a good chance against the amazing Nonito.

If pushed to choose now I'd say Rigo by split decision or Nonito by KO. So hard to call!

Thoughts? heart

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Rigo vs Donaire Looks Done: Who Wins?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Rigo vs Donaire Looks Done: Who Wins?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:39 pm

I agree Milky.....He's the right guy at the right time...World class but I think chiquita and Carbajal beat him at fly...Pintor and Gomez at 118 and 122...

But he's the man and fairplay.............

Late stoppage.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Rigo vs Donaire Looks Done: Who Wins?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Rigo vs Donaire Looks Done: Who Wins?

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 1:59 pm

I think Doniare beats both Carbajal and Chiquita, Truss. Carbajal was a similar fighter in many ways but just that little bit less polished.

Chiquita had the skills to outbox Donaire, perhaps, but he was prone to lapses in concentration and tended to needlessly go to war over and over again when he should have been taking the patient approach. He should really have been 3-0 against Carbajal but just couldn't resist slugging it out in that first fight (not that I mind too much, as it was one of the best fights you could ever wish to see!).

Donaire beats Carbajal in a competitive fight almost every time, I think. Drops a few decisions to Chiquita if the Mexican fights with his head instead of his heart but also forces him to panic in other meetings, abandoning his boxing and getting himself taken out by Nonito late on.

I agree it's very difficult to make anyone a favourite over Gomez at 122 lb, mind you.....
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:08 pm

He's the same fighter as Carbajal but more polished and yet Carbajal had Chiquita's number!!

Interesting post Chris..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:24 pm

88Chris05 wrote:

Drops a few decisions to Chiquita if the Mexican fights with his head instead of his heart but also forces him to panic in other meetings, abandoning his boxing and getting himself taken out by Nonito late on.

I don't ever see Chiquita beating Donaire, Chris. I think the Carbajal fights were great performances but made his legend greater than it was. Donaire is better than Carbajal in every aspect and wouldn't be outboxed by Humberto. I would see Gonzalez getting desperate and trying to get close before Nonito closes the show in a fairly conclusive manner. I think Chiquita would have to have his greatest night, and Donaire his worst ever before the fight became that competitive.

Now if were talking El Finito, then Donaire isn't fit to carry his jockstrap.....

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:27 pm

I had Carbajal winning all three fights....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:28 pm

You should have actually watched the fights then.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:30 pm

How did Carbajal have Chiquita's number? Carbajal took him out while behind on the cards first time out partly because Chiquita fell in love too much with his ability to brawl when he should have been boxing going away. In the two subsequent rematches, Chiquita had the upper hand.

Not sure what's so 'interesting' there, Trussy!

Anyway, styles make fights and Carbajal doesn't quite have the edge in any of those strengths he shares with Donaire for me. Gonzalez was the better all-rounder and, if he was focussed for the full twelve, could potentially steer clear of Nonito's power and get a tight verdict. If he loses his cool then Donaire takes him out.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:32 pm

Shut up you muppet...

Split decision and a majority wasn't it...fool!!

Magazines had him winning too....KO for sure.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:33 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:You should have actually watched the fights then.

Laugh

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:33 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Shut up you muppet...

Split decision and a majority wasn't it...fool!!

That's no way to talk to Chris.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:36 pm

Styles makes fights and yet you just said he was the same fighter as Carbajal...That's all I was referring to...noproblem..

I watched a lot of Carbajal...unlike others on here who had Bruno on Sportsnight!!

Tino....We had top Boxing at least twice a week In America....I know what I'm talking......

I had Caesars you had the York Hall......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:37 pm

Well Tina, I'd definitely make Donaire the favourite as I said earlier, but I don't think it's beyond Chiquita to perhaps edge him out now and then. Have only seen Gonzalez's fights with Carbajal and then one or two others outside of that and I know you followed the little guys with loads of interest at the time, so I accept that there is less guess work on your part, but I have seen Donaire negate his jab and get frustrated if he can't get to his man. He doesn't lose his cool, but it does make me wonder 'what if?', if there was a little man to stay away, jab and take advantage of that low guard.

Unlikely, but not impossible, I think. Still, the little guys is most definitely your forté so will say no more.

Ricardo, of course, is the ultimate little man whose superiority needs no explanation or questioning!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:38 pm

A great trilogy If ever there was one...Certainly goes under the radar...

Picked Chiquita to win the first one when he got caned...

Thought Carbajal would beat Matlada..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:39 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

I had Caesars

Not salads you didn't, beefcake.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:40 pm

You've got nothing to say...just go away...

Shah is easily impressed..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:40 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Styles makes fights and yet you just said he was the same fighter as Carbajal...That's all I was referring to...noproblem..

I watched a lot of Carbajal...unlike others on here who had Bruno on Sportsnight!!

Tino....We had top Boxing at least twice a week In America....I know what I'm talking......

I had Caesars you had the York Hall......

I said similar in certain ways, not the same. There's a difference there, old bean. Anyway, Donaire big favourite against Carbajal, fairly strong favourite against Gonzalez, in my opinion. Simples.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:42 pm

88Chris05 wrote:

Unlikely, but not impossible

Ricardo, of course, is the ultimate little man whose superiority needs no explanation or questioning!

Yeah, you're probably right mate. On reflection perhaps I was a little harsh on Chiquita. He would have to have a truly great night but few things are impossible in a two horse race.

No-one questions Lopez. No-one!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:43 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You've got nothing to say...just go away...

Stop being so sensitive you big T-Rex. It's not my fault your arms are only 17" long.

I am debating with Chris. He has manners and certainly doesn't have the mentality of a teenage girl.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:45 pm

You have something to say...Don't go away...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:46 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You've got nothing to say...just go away...

Hug Make love not war

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:57 pm

Donaire KO.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 30 Jan 2013, 7:01 pm

Detailed Seanus.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Wed 30 Jan 2013, 8:47 pm

milkyboy wrote:I am in the minority of hoping this fight doesn't happen. I hate to see a grown man cry, and mackem seems like a nice chap.

I think i might you know.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 30 Jan 2013, 9:00 pm

Lets for arguments sake say Donaire does win how much credit is he going to get for beating a guy with barely a dozen pro fights to his name?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 30 Jan 2013, 9:01 pm

Imperial he is a two time Olympic Gold Medalists and look what he has achieved in his short career? Hardly a duffer. Also, he obviously has some amazing skills. Watch his fights.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Wed 30 Jan 2013, 9:07 pm

Exactly. I have a ready made excuse Ghosty.....too inexperienced as pro!
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 30 Jan 2013, 9:12 pm

Lets forget his amateur career here for a minute Davide, it's a different ball game and i'll admit he's not really achieved a whole lot. Not deriding him but it's a simple fact but lets say it pans out as expected is Donaire really going to get the credit he may deserve for beating him. Can imagine as time goes on he starts to get less and less but that's largely dependent on Rigondeauxs future.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 31 Jan 2013, 12:58 am

Assuming that this does go ahead, what does it say about rigo... that he's prepared to take the fight? Confidence? Greed/money... cashing in now, as it might not come again? Does he feel, as per mackem's excuse, that he has an excuse if he loses and can come again?

Whatever the motives, its commendable.. He could have made a few more defences, and/or waited for donaire to move up again after greater challenges.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 31 Jan 2013, 10:49 am

Carbajal and Gonzalez were light-flies, Lopez a career straw-weight until his last couple of fights, where he found it far harder to bowl people over. Donaire was a massive flyweight with sledgehammer fists, and he looks as though he could easily accommodate 126 lbs in the future.

The other three never even got as far as 112, for the very good reason that they were fighting at about their right weight. Donaire has too much skill for Carbajal and takes Gonzalez out by halfway, in my opinion. The great Lopez knew quite enough to pose problems for Donaire, of course. However, I find it hard to imagine him imposing his game on a much bigger guy with almost as many all-round skills as him. Take Donaire to win a decision, about 116-112 there.

Honestly don't see Lora or Pintor beating Donaire at 118. Needs to be a Zarate to turn that trick, in my opinion. Gomez mows down Nonito at 122, though, I absolutely agree. Mind you, Wilfredo does that to everyone at that weight.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 31 Jan 2013, 11:11 am

captain carrantuohil wrote:

The great Lopez knew quite enough to pose problems for Donaire, of course. However, I find it hard to imagine him imposing his game on a much bigger guy with almost as many all-round skills as him. Take Donaire to win a decision, about 116-112 there.

I was half joking about him not carrying Lopez's jockstrap, Captain. I think the size factor would be key, although if anyone had the requisite characteristics to pull it off, Lopez was the man. Certainly below bantamweight anyway. From memory, I think Lopez was spotting Rosendo Alvarez 2 weight divisions in their second bout which gives us some idea that he could at least stand with the bigger Donaire and make him think. Granted, Alvarez is no Donaire, but he was a skillful, tough, hard and merciless fighter at his best. Lopez was past his prime when they fought and although he didn't look like the winner at the end, he won the fight by a far wider margin than the judges had it, for me.

Having said that, Alvarez did put him down in their first fight, and if Donaire caught him at flyweight, he could easily hurt him. I have read some people claiming that Donaire is open to body shots, and if this was the case, Lopez would have some chances here as he threw a wicked left hook to the body. I think it would be a close fight each time with Donaire winning 2 out of 3 if they had a series. None of them by much though.

Actually scrap all that. Lopez KO 1.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 31 Jan 2013, 11:30 am

It would be interesting to see how Donaire got on against Morales/MAB/Pacquaio. I would favour Morales and Barrera to beat him at super bantamweight at their best there.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 31 Jan 2013, 11:43 am

Styles determine those fights, I think, Manos. Reckon Donaire would have loved fighting Morales, and imagine that he has enough pop to give Erik's come forward tactics a serious examination. Barrera - difficult - Junior Jones provided a sort of template on how to beat him at the weight, so it would be interesting to see if Donaire would have been adaptable enough to replicate it. Pacquiao-Donaire for Filipino pride would have been a tear-up, no way round it. I wonder whose chin would best have been able to defuse the other's bombs? Fence time for me.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 31 Jan 2013, 12:02 pm

Id actually be most confident of Morales of the three to beat Donaire. Hes a big super bantam with proven durability and a bit of power himself so I think he would have too much for Donaire. MAB was patchier admittadly and I would say Donaires record at super bantam is better overall, but if you take the MAB from Morales 1 then I think he would beat Donaire. Might be slightly unfair to evaluate him on the basis of one fight though given his struggles with Jones back then though.

Pacquiao, not sure. I havent watched a whole lot of him below featherweight and he wasnt the finished article back then so out of the three I would say Donaire has the most chance of beating Pacquiao at the weight. Wouldnt like to bet my house on it though.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:54 pm

It's always hard to tell, because the competition is always hard to judge across eras, but when you watch donaire, he looks a similar class of fighter to morales and Barrera. History might judge him the best of the lot, depending how the next few years pan out, but in a head to head they're not fights I'd want to bet on... But certainly fights I'd like to have seen.

Re jones, barerra, I think he showed how to beat the aggressive younger barerra, not necessarily the fighter he became after the defeats.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:21 pm

Barrera and Morales had eachother....

Donaire's problem is there isn't a fingerlicking fight out there to OUT him...

Also he's another filipino hot on the heels of Manny...

No one talks much about Fenech and I fear Donaire will end up in the same boat..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 31 Jan 2013, 4:22 pm

He might well be a similar class of fighter to Morales and MAB and could easily outstrip them if he continues at the rate hes going. But Im looking more at head to heads. Donaire thus far is at his upper limit as super bantam, whereas the MAB and Morales were at the lower threshold at super bantam. Morales in particular I would say has a stronger record at super bantam than Donaire and is a bigger fighter. MABs record at super bantam was patchy but his performance against Morales indicated he would be a very tough guy to beat there when on top of his game.

Im probably in the minority but I really didn’t particularly rate Nishioka as good as a lot of other people, especially the version that faced Donaire so I don’t think as of yet he has beaten opposition of the calibre of Morales, Barrera and Pacquiao.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 31 Jan 2013, 5:22 pm

Interesting trio to consider, Manos.

I agree with the captain in one respect, as I do think that, from a styles perspective, Morales suits Donaire fairly well. Morales was a little bit more upright and mechanical, could be outsped and was also prone to neglecting his boxing skills in favour of a brawl. For all his talents, he did get hit a lot, right throughout his career.

But on the other hand, as you say, he's not a converted Flyweight like Donaire, and I'm also mindful of how remarkably tough and resilient Morales was at 122 lb; even if he does decide to slug it out with Donaire, who's to say he can't withstand the assault and give back with interest?

I'll go with Morales to suck up whatever Donaire can throw at him and do just enough to nick a hard-fought decision.

Barrera? Depends which version of Marco turns up, I guess! I thought he beat Morales in that first fight of their series and I agree that if he's on that kind of form he can outscore Donaire, but I think Barrera just seemed that little bit more at home at 126. As such, I'll make Donaire the favourite there.

Pretty confident that Nonito gets a Bantam / Super-Bantam version of Pacquiao out of there, though. Manny's a legitimate all-time great - greater than Donaire as things are, for sure - but not until he'd been working with Roach for a while and he'd grown in to his frame a bit more. Donaire by stoppage against a version of Manny which was really just a pale imitation of the version we saw between, say, 2003 and 2010.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 31 Jan 2013, 5:31 pm

Morales loved to trade and Id favour him a brawl over Donaire. But he also was quite skilled and could box well when he had to. I wouldn’t be convinced that Donaire is necessarily the more skilled. And while Donaire was very heavy handed in the flyweights, up at super bantam Im not sure his power would be able to discourage Morales.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 31 Jan 2013, 5:45 pm

Hard to say because I dare say we've yet to see the best of Donaire at 122lbs and he's bound to have a few fights at featherweight too so it may be a bit early to start comparing him to seasoned 122lbers like Morales and Barrera. Would certainly have him beat Pacquiao at the weight as he wasn't the fighter he would go on to be, I will say though that I think Hamed would take his head off at featherweight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 31 Jan 2013, 5:50 pm

I Think Naz would beat him a SBW too although nothing to back it up. Rowley thinks Naz could knock out Thomas Hearns.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 Jan 2013, 6:39 pm

I would sure love to see Morales against Donaire.

Donaire should take great credit for seeking out these big fights when so many other belt holders take lesser options.

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 31 Jan 2013, 7:07 pm

I keep going back and forth on the outcome of this fight. I get the feeling if Rigo boxes very negatively and frustrates Donaire he may be able to counter him enough to nick some rounds and make it very close, Donaire won't be able to just drop his guard and try to slug him out of there like he has been prone to do against some lesser opposition. I think Rigo could easily box his way to survival in this one and take a large loss on the cards but I'm not sure he'll go for that seeing as he hasn't lost a fight of any sort in about a decade, that could be his undoing though because if he opens up too much it's highlight reel KO time.

On the subject of how much credit Donaire will get for this fight it is loads from me. I rate Rigo very highly and he is a world champion. I expect him to put in a better performance than Nishioka (who was very disappointing) despite being less qualified at the weight in terms of his CV.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 25 Mar 2013, 10:47 pm

Bumped!

Rigo Highlights.....simply the most accurate counter puncher of all time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeaVS6yR7XA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Amgp8Qd9s

Donaire Highlights...Booooo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GKPNj2mcK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBeCQ644KyU

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 26 Mar 2013, 9:29 am

I think we should set up a 606v2 support group for Mackem when Rgio loses.... Hug kiss

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 26 Mar 2013, 9:41 am

I have to admit though, TopHat, that I wouldn't mind seeing Rigondeaux pull this off, if only to see Mackem's triumphant, gushing 'told you so!' article afterwards!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 26 Mar 2013, 9:50 am

Haha, with you there Chris!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 26 Mar 2013, 10:53 am

I'd like rigo to win for the donaire luvvies to eat some humble! Actually i dont care just hope rigo sticks around long enough to make it interesting.

I'm sure mackem would rise above any 'told you so's', though his gushing eulogy might have us reaching for our virtual buckets.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 26 Mar 2013, 11:04 am

depends if he's been on the special brew that night or not.......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Tue 26 Mar 2013, 11:36 am

So is this fight definitely going ahead or are talks still ongoing?

Also if it is signed, is the date set and have BoxNation picked it up does anyone know?

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 26 Mar 2013, 2:15 pm

Hi Pedro, this fight is definitely going ahead and its only 2 weeks away on Saturday!

Boxnation haven't picked it up as of yet... nor have they picked up Rios Alvarado mad

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next