The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Munster vs Leinster ML Final- Match Thread

+6
Glas a du
poissonrouge
Mickado
red_stag
Cari
Notch
10 posters

Go down

Munster vs Leinster ML Final- Match Thread Empty Munster vs Leinster ML Final- Match Thread

Post by Notch Fri 27 May 2011, 12:18 pm

All the discussion of the Magners League final, right here!

MUNSTER:

15: F Jones
14: D Howlett
13: D Barnes
12: L Mafi
11: K Earls
10: R O'Gara
9: C Murray

1: M Horan
2: D Varley
3: J Hayes
4: D O'Callaghan
5: P O'Connell CAPTAIN
6: D Ryan
7: D Wallace
8: J Coughlan

REPLACEMENTS:

16: M Sherry
17: W du Preez
18: S Archer
19: D Leamy
20: N Ronan
21: P Stringer
22: P Warwick
23: J Murphy

LEINSTER:

15: Isa Nacewa
14: Shane Horgan
13: Brian O'Driscoll
12: Fergus McFadden
11: Luke Fitzgerald
10: Jonathan Sexton
9: Eoin Reddan

1: Heinke van der Merwe
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Mike Ross
4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
5: Nathan Hines
6: Sean O'Brien
7: Shane Jennings
8: Jamie Heaslip

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Aaron Dundon
17: Cian Healy
18: Stan Wright
19: Devin Toner
20: Kevin McLaughlin
21: Paul O'Donohoe
22: Ian Madigan
23: Eoin O'Malley

REFEREE: Nigel Owens (WRU)

It's an interesting one in the race for the final world cup spots. The injury to D'Arcy gives McFadden a big chance to impress; he could seriously enhance his chances here. Leamy, on the other hand, can't make the Munster team and will look at Leinsters all-Irish backrow and wonder is his chance slipping away. I expect he'll give everything should he get on. And could young Conor Murray be the dark horse for us at 9?

Last edited by Notch on Fri 27 May 2011, 12:24 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Update formatting, additional text)
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Munster vs Leinster ML Final- Match Thread Empty Re: Munster vs Leinster ML Final- Match Thread

Post by Cari Fri 27 May 2011, 12:25 pm

Nigel, in grey? Surely it should be pink Wink I'm still going for Leinster...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Munster vs Leinster ML Final- Match Thread Empty Re: Munster vs Leinster ML Final- Match Thread

Post by Guest Fri 27 May 2011, 12:26 pm

6: Sean O'Brien
7: Shane Jennings

Gibbo's going to combust Wink

Really can't wait for this, despite the fact it's an All Irish final. Going to be a corker.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 27 May 2011, 12:27 pm

McFadden and Wally togevva....I might spontaneously combust! heart Yahoo

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 May 2011, 12:27 pm

13 Irishmen starting for Munster Smile Magners League doing its job.

Munster to get randy in the scrum

Sad
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 27 May 2011, 12:28 pm

VDM and Ross against Horan and Hayes.

Yeah, really looking forward to this game now!

All bon hommie temporarily goes out the window. I’ve had my fill of Heineken and I’m looking for a snakebite stomach. Bring on the Clonmel Champagne (Magners)…

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by poissonrouge Fri 27 May 2011, 12:31 pm

I fancy young Murray to show himself as a possible wild card - he looks as though he could be a really good 9
poissonrouge
poissonrouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 May 2011, 12:31 pm

Yeah, a total of 24 out of 30 Irish players on the pitch Stag. All positions covered.

Plus Ulster had 11 Irish players in their semi-final side even with three of our five current Ireland internationals ruled out. We're starting to get the strength in depth in Irish rugby.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 27 May 2011, 12:32 pm

Munster to squeek it. They have the better bench and Leinster will be oh deared in the last 15. randy

Last edited by rugbydreamer on Fri 27 May 2011, 2:00 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : forgot obvious smiley! (and you know what the other edit was for Glas!))
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 May 2011, 12:32 pm

Notch wrote: We're starting to get the strength in depth in Irish rugby.

Thats the reason we are doing well. You will always do well if you can produce talented back up players. If you have to buy backup players you will never succeed in long term.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 May 2011, 12:36 pm

Are there any plans in Munster to bring in another centre?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 May 2011, 12:41 pm

Notch wrote:Are there any plans in Munster to bring in another centre?

I'd be 99.99% sure Munster will sign a centre. Next seaon we have a "project player furious " and 4 foreigners. There is still room for another non Irish signing and I would bet it will be centre.

Barry Murphy retired, Sam Tuitupou is leaving, Warwick (who got game time at 12 this season) is leaving and both Johne Murphy and Keith Earls seem better suited to wing than centre this season.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyt Fri 27 May 2011, 12:43 pm

Very interested in this game now. I think some create match ups through out the park. and some dark horses in that Munster team that might be underestimated at some expense.
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 May 2011, 12:45 pm

Is your 'project' still Borlase? Or is he gone?

I don't like the project either. I'm happy enough with someone like Diack though because he is settled here and seems set to spend the vast majority of the rest of his career in Ireland. But the period required should be longer.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 27 May 2011, 12:46 pm

Yeah Henson. That'll upset Leinster anyway.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 May 2011, 12:46 pm

I have a feeling we will see "traditional Munster" this week. Kick the leather off the ball, target every lineout, and kick the shots goals. If it gets into a kicking match Earls, Jones and Howlett is a nice counter attacking back 3.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 27 May 2011, 12:48 pm

Glas a du wrote:

he could top up his tan down there that's for sure. laughing

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 May 2011, 12:49 pm

Glas a du wrote:

laughing

Oh, the glorious days of Stags 'Henson signs for Munster' article on 606. That rumour spread QUICK!

I would say the backrow for Munster need to have a massive game Stag. It'll be so much easier if you can slow down that ball- I'm not sure it's going to be straightforward though.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 May 2011, 12:58 pm

Notch wrote:Is your 'project' still Borlase? Or is he gone?

I don't like the project either. I'm happy enough with someone like Diack though because he is settled here and seems set to spend the vast majority of the rest of his career in Ireland. But the period required should be longer.

Yea its absolute bullspit. It makes a mockery of the international game and is the first step in a situation where a rich country like Russia or Japan could acutally buy an international class team.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 May 2011, 1:01 pm

It's a serious concern and something I agree with you on; the IRB need to review it. At the very least the ruling needs to be changed to five years instead of three.

I have no problem with us having six NIQ players. Just call it like it is instead of this project stuff.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Fri 27 May 2011, 1:09 pm

Big games for Murray and McFadden, if they're really to be considered as Bolters for the squad.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Fri 27 May 2011, 1:11 pm

UUUUU I could crush a grape....

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 May 2011, 1:14 pm

I think that Owens refereeing the scrum will greatly reduce the impact of Leisnter compared to say if Poite was referee. We'd be completley killed.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 May 2011, 1:30 pm

Boyne how are you!! Welcome aboard Smile
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 May 2011, 1:52 pm

Apparently Joe Schmidt has said it will be tougher to win than the Northampton match.

Donnacha O'Callaghan reckons its the best final the players from both teams, the fans and the sponsors could have hoped for.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 May 2011, 1:58 pm

red_stag wrote:Donnacha O'Callaghan reckons its the best final the players from both teams, the fans and the sponsors could have hoped for.

I disagree Crying or Very sad

So will the Ospreys contingent no doubt!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 27 May 2011, 2:00 pm

That's a bit insulting isn't it? I don't doubt that it will be a good final, but had it been Leinster/Ulster or Munster/Ospreys wouldn't have been a bad one either.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 May 2011, 2:02 pm

Cari - he said it in the context of it being the team who came 1st playing team who came 2nd.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 27 May 2011, 2:08 pm

Errrm...isn't that what happens in all finals? Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 May 2011, 2:24 pm

You know what I mean Cari. Munster finished the league in 1st place, leinster were second and both have been rewarded with a place in final.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 27 May 2011, 2:25 pm

It is fantastic to see so many Irish players in this one. Admittedly some are nearing their sell-by date. But the talent in our combined young players - established and coming through - gives us so much hope for the future.

If Leinster dominate the scrum, after last week's 40 minute "lesson", I see us winning this one.I do believe that this starting lineup, is stronger than the one that started the HC Final.

Tiredness should not even be discussed as an excuse. Its Munster Vs Leinster in a final. No more motivation required. Here's hoping it will be a cracker and a great ad for the ML/Celtic League.

Ones to watch: Murray and McFadden.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 27 May 2011, 2:26 pm

I know what you meant I was being silly Ok!

Just shows how a comment can be taken out of context though eh?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 27 May 2011, 2:32 pm

Gibson wrote:Admittedly some are nearing their sell-by date.

Sure between ourselves we can bring on an Irish front row of Healy, Sherry, Archer. Toner at second row. An Irish backrow of McLaughlin, Ronan, Leamy is on the bench. Young halfbacks O'Donoghue and Madigan will be there and Eoin O'Malley/Johne Murphy covering the backline if needs be Smile
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down