The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread

+49
Comfort
Huwball
Goosestepper
profitius
Cardiff Dave
Valleyboy
The Great Aukster
21st Century Schizoid Man
Thomond
Liam
Taffineastbourne
J_D
Imperialbigdave
Rava
IanBru
GunsGerms
doctor_grey
mckay1402
asoreleftshoulder
LondonTiger
valjester
The Boss
Artful_Dodger
LemonyVodka5
rodders
Morgannwg
eirebilly
red_stag
MMC
Mickado
Cari
Rory_Gallagher
Shifty
LordDowlais
Breadvan
SecretFly
glamorganalun
MrsP
Gibson
LeinsterFan4life
sheephead
Jenifer McLadyboy
Feckless Rogue
maestegmafia
Notch
geoff998rugby
thebluesmancometh
Pot Hale
mrzimmerman
53 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread Empty Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread

Post by mrzimmerman Mon 07 May 2012, 2:35 pm

Teams announced;

Ospreys

15 Richard Fussell
14 Hanno Dirksen
13 Andrew Bishop
12 Ashley Beck
11 Shane Williams
10 Dan Biggar
9 Kahn Fotuali'i
1 Paul James
2 Richard Hibbard
3 Adam Jones
4 Alun Wyn Jones (Capt)
5 Ian Evans
6 Ryan Jones
7 Justin Tipuric
8 Joe Bearman

Replacements:

16 Scott Baldwin
17 Ryan Bevington
18 Aaron Jarvis
19 James King
20 Tom Smith
21 Rhys Webb
22 Matthew Morgan
23 Tom Isaacs

Munster: F Jones; J Murphy, K Earls, L Mafi, S Zebo; I Keatley, C Murray; W du Preez, M Sherry, BJ Botha; D O'Callaghan, M O'Driscoll; D Ryan, T O'Donnell, P O'Mahony.

Replacements: D Fogarty, D Kilcoyne, S Archer, Dave O'Callaghan, P Butler, T O'Leary, R O'Gara, I Dineen.

Big game Friday night. Any other Welsh region would be underdogs against one of the 3 main Irish teams in a big match either home or away BUT the Ospreys aren't. Reason being they aren't afraid of Munster, Leinster or Ulster as results this year have shown. The home side are favourites(this was further cemented by POC being announced as injured for the match). Saying this, there's no way that Munster will fear travelling to the Liberty. They are a strong, physical unit and will be desperate to win the Pro12 and retain their Celtic league crown.

I'm hoping for a flowing game but think both teams will play to their strengths in their respective packs. Where as to an extent the other semi is a David v Goliath I'd say this is far more evenly matched.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's views on the likely teams, key battles and anything else related.

Will update the post with teams as announced tomorrow. Have removed the dr strangelove ref from the title of the thread, got fed up of seeing it after a while.

Last edited by georgestowersbiceps on Thu 10 May 2012, 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : the teams)

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread Empty Re: Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread

Post by Pot Hale Mon 07 May 2012, 3:45 pm

Were the wins by Ospreys over the Irish provinces involving their European sides or their Pro12 sides? For both teams I mean.

In other words, have the European teams met each other in the league yet?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread Empty Re: Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 07 May 2012, 3:47 pm

It was a very strong Leinster side in the RDS in the Rabo.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 07 May 2012, 3:58 pm

Ospreys 27 -3 Leinster - league sides
Ospreys 32-14 Ulster - not strongest sides but some
Munster 13-17 Ospreys - Not full strength
Ospreys 19-13 Munster - not full strength teams starting
Ulster 15-14 Ospreys - Ulster at near full strength. Ospreys?
Leinster 22-23 Ospreys - Leinster not at full strength. Ospreys?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 07 May 2012, 4:01 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:It was a very strong Leinster side in the RDS in the Rabo.

Really?
No Ross, Cronin, Healy, O'Brien, Jennings or Heaslip up front.
No Reddan, Sexton or Rob Kearney in the back.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 07 May 2012, 4:03 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Ospreys 27 -3 Leinster - league sides
Ospreys 32-14 Ulster - not strongest sides but some
Munster 13-17 Ospreys - Not full strength
Ospreys 19-13 Munster - not full strength teams starting
Ulster 15-14 Ospreys - Ulster at near full strength. Ospreys?
Leinster 22-23 Ospreys - Leinster not at full strength. Ospreys?

Ulster put out the stongest side available in both games.

Remember the first game was during the World Cup.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 07 May 2012, 5:39 pm

Hard to draw conclusions from the game played in the World Cup, but Ulster is irrelevant to this; the question is can Ospreys take Munster at home? For me the answer is yes. Ospreys by 4.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 07 May 2012, 5:51 pm

If the teams competing were just second string teams surely that just shows that the second string Ospreys are better than their Irish counter parts.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 07 May 2012, 6:09 pm

The Ospreys beat Leinster in the RDS in a final. They can beat Munster at home.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 07 May 2012, 6:52 pm

Whether we will or not we will know soon enough..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 07 May 2012, 7:50 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:It was a very strong Leinster side in the RDS in the Rabo.

Really?
No Ross, Cronin, Healy, O'Brien, Jennings or Heaslip up front.
No Reddan, Sexton or Rob Kearney in the back.
Yeah, it was the 1st game after the 6n.

Ospreys played all their top Lions.

We rested the lads above, lost BOTH tight head props to injury (2nd and 3rd choice) and still only lost by a contentious decision at the death by a point.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Mon 07 May 2012, 8:06 pm

Ok ladyboy, I count 2 lions in the Ospreys team Alun Wyn Jones and Ryan Jones. Leinster boast BOD and thorn. Or don't work cup winners count? Don't let the facts spoil a good story though hey!

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Mon 07 May 2012, 8:26 pm

Just noticed Adam Jones was on the bench, sorry. Fitzgerald also started for your lot so that makes it even me thinks so pull the other one.

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 07 May 2012, 8:32 pm

How does it make it even we lost our 2nd and third choice tighthead to injury hardly even now...ospreys deserved to win the game though

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Mon 07 May 2012, 8:49 pm

Brilliant another one. Im just replying to the comment that Ospreys only won as they played their Lions. But both tens have equal numbers of them and Leinster probably had more experience I.e fadden, Cullen, Nacewa..

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 07 May 2012, 8:51 pm

Oh ok fair enough thumbsup

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 07 May 2012, 8:59 pm

Ospreys for the PRO12 Grand Final!

O's have no fear of any Irish team. Home or away. Either do Warriors.

Delighted that the best 4 teams made the playoffs.

We just have to get through the mere bagatelle that is the HC PRO12 Final 1st. And then... Hope and pray we win the Big One at the RDS. Or Lansdowne.

The PRO12 Rocks.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 07 May 2012, 9:06 pm

Sure you have the "Big One" then Gibbo and we'll have the other!

Very Happy

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 07 May 2012, 9:18 pm

MrsP wrote:Sure you have the "Big One" then Gibbo and we'll have the other!

Very Happy

Fair enough. Just want to give the oft dissed PRO12, the recognition it fully deserves.

Only next year, we need 4 PRO12 teams in the HC SF's. That would be a marked improvement on 3. Lets lock out the English and French. Let them carry on with their historonic squabbles.
They are getting far too big for their dillusional boots for my liking.

PRO12 must do better. Disappointed.com. coffee

Last edited by Gibson on Mon 07 May 2012, 9:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 07 May 2012, 9:20 pm

thumbsup

So long as we're one of them!

cake

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 07 May 2012, 9:24 pm

sheephead wrote:Brilliant another one. Im just replying to the comment that Ospreys only won as they played their Lions. But both tens have equal numbers of them and Leinster probably had more experience I.e fadden, Cullen, Nacewa..
Sorry if I put that badly. I was not trying to get into a willy waving contest over who had more Lions on the pitch.

My point was we rested almost all of our 6n players and the Os played most of theirs.

The Lions thing was quoted at the time because we had a 22 year old Loose head playing tighthead (after we lost both THs) and you guys had the Lions test TH (Adam Jones)

So sorry if I muddied the waters there.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 07 May 2012, 9:55 pm

Feel de PRO12 lurve.

The Powers that be, want to dismantle what 4 nations have built. Make no mistake about it.

Do you reckon if we allowed them to join the party and charged them heavily for not seeing the Light earlier, would that be a possible goer?

A Pan-European Celtic League with invited, oft misguided - guests?

Non?

Just throwing it out there.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 07 May 2012, 10:28 pm

I think Munster will miss POC, will he play again after what looks like a bad injury?

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 07 May 2012, 11:06 pm

Looks bad Glam. He wont make it till next season, I'd guess.

Ireland needed him so bad in NZ. BOD back. POC out. Life's not fair sometimes. Those two - together, won us a SLAM. Nowt to do with Kidney. Dems de breaks.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 07 May 2012, 11:11 pm

glamorganalun wrote:I think Munster will miss POC, will he play again after what looks like a bad injury?

What happened to O'Connell?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 07 May 2012, 11:16 pm

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0507/1224315689323.html
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 07 May 2012, 11:29 pm

Badly damaged knee, unlikely to play for some time if at all?

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 07 May 2012, 11:35 pm

Very Sad... Injury has plagued his last few years, it only displays the character of the man to see how quickly he returns from injury and hits such superb form.

Although us Osprey fans are happy that Munster wont have the influence of POC, I am sure we all also wish him a successful and speedy recovery, as we all admire the man and the player he is.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 08 May 2012, 8:52 am

Well said, I hope he can make a full recovery for someone who has given everything for club and country.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 08 May 2012, 8:58 am

I like this Glam goy already. He's alright. Must be a true rugby fan.

Maesteg and I go back. Where to I dunno...

Where's that to? Gotta love Welsh-English.

I see a Leinster v O's Final lads.

But. Could also be Warriors v Munster. Easily.

Can the Jeff say the same? I dont think so. It will be Tigers to win it.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 08 May 2012, 9:07 am

Gibs I love your thinking and hope your right... Munster are an A R SE of a team to play in any competition, they never relent. No one ever wants to draw them and that is the greatest compliment you can ever give them.

I am hoping for some Ospreys success obviously. But likewise a bit of diversity and Warriors making it would be great for the game...

Munster, Leinster and the Ospreys have all had their day in the sun in the Celtic League over the years... Every year the teams get better and the League harder to win. All good for everyones rugby.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 08 May 2012, 9:33 am

Ospreys, if they play anything like they hope to play in the coming seasons (and they seem to be playing with the intention of being more than observers in next year's HC) well, they should have certainly enough to win at home against a Munster that doesn't quite know where it is this season, either with rhythm, players or the changing contours of the coaching system as McGahan is distracted about his new job and the team are pondering the shape of things to come with the new one.

All the positives are with Ospreys here I think and, really, they'll only have themselves to blame if Munster play chugging uphill steam train rugby and still come out winners. If Ospreys can pace set for a sustained period then they should have it

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 08 May 2012, 9:39 am

SecretFly wrote:Ospreys, if they play anything like they hope to play in the coming seasons (and they seem to be playing with the intention of being more than observers in next year's HC) well, they should have certainly enough to win at home against a Munster that doesn't quite know where it is this season, either with rhythm, players or the changing contours of the coaching system as McGahan is distracted about his new job and the team are pondering the shape of things to come with the new one.

All the positives are with Ospreys here I think and, really, they'll only have themselves to blame if Munster play chugging uphill steam train rugby and still come out winners. If Ospreys can pace set for a sustained period then they should have it

It would be wonderful for the Ospreys to end a season with out the bitter taste of blame and underachievement. We now have a squad the fans like, few exceptions but there invariably are, coaches the fans like and a more consistent ability to play good rugby.

I think we would like to have made the knock out stages of the HEC this season but it was a tough ask on our team shorn of its biggest talents and with a coaching team that were not achieving their goals. It is great to be in contention for the final of the RAbbo and stand a realistic chance of the title.

That said, great Rabbo this year, very difficult comp. Close run in to the playoffs and any of the four semis could easily be victorious

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 08 May 2012, 10:13 am

Strange for us O's fans to not finish the season asking ourselves if we're all returning next season. Quite the opposite the way new season ticket sales are continuing. Looking forward to fri night, O's may have home adv but I'm predicting a tight game..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 08 May 2012, 12:14 pm

What is the crowd looking like for Friday night ? I would have gone, but I have a suprise birthday party to go to steam I just hope they have the game on in the lounge so I can sneak off to watch it. Also, what are the season ticket sales like for next year ? Has anybody got any figures ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 08 May 2012, 12:25 pm

Think we could clear 12k + Lord. As ever, Munster always bring over a fair whack. The new season ticket deal has really caught on. I think the club has sold over 2,500 new st's.( but don't quote me Wink
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 08 May 2012, 12:37 pm

I am thinking of getting one for next season breadvan, although I cannot commit to all the games, I still want an Ospreys top and I can go to some games, so I guess it evens itself out.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mrzimmerman Tue 08 May 2012, 1:58 pm

The Western Mail have run the story that Shane is confirmed as starting Saturday night. My favourite part of the story was the Fail saying "(Shane) will be hoping to continue his try scoring run..." I hardly think 2 tries in 18 months is a try scoring run but never mind. If Bowe was fit i don't think Shane would currently deserve his place. Rate Dirksen higher on current ability. Lets hope Munster do as Austraia and the Dragons did and give him another gift of a try!

Just read what i've written and it comes across as anti Shane and i apologise for that but can someone tell me the last time he played a good game for club or country?! Long time ago but lets home he's back to his best Friday night, we're going to need it!

The more important team news will come later in the week when we see if Tipuric is fit. Sam Lewis was OK against Aironi but on current form Tipuric could grab a couple of turnovers even if he was playing against a team of Robocops! Great player!

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 08 May 2012, 4:27 pm

Gibson:

I hope you are correct, I was just passing on what I picked up going around the MS on Monday (within rugby clubs). I take no pleasure hearing about injuries as I like my rugby too much. I agree with your comments Munster v Glasgow is not out of the question.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 08 May 2012, 5:30 pm

Breadvan wrote:Think we could clear 12k + Lord. As ever, Munster always bring over a fair whack. The new season ticket deal has really caught on. I think the club has sold over 2,500 new st's.( but don't quote me Wink

You have to hand it to Munsters travelling fans... They seem to get around the most stadiums out of all the Rabbo supporters

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 08 May 2012, 6:34 pm

Notch wrote:Hard to draw conclusions from the game played in the World Cup, but Ulster is irrelevant to this; the question is can Ospreys take Munster at home? For me the answer is yes. Ospreys by 4.

Last time the Ospreys played Munster the Ospreys had 19 players called up to international rugby and quite a lot of injuries and we still beat Munster at home. O'Connell, Stringer, O'Gara and all the old generals came on and we held firm and beat them. We also beat them away from home with a bit to spare so the Ospreys have no reason to worry about Munster.

If we turn up on the day and get a referee that allows us to use our scrum we could smash them off the park.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 08 May 2012, 6:37 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
Notch wrote:Hard to draw conclusions from the game played in the World Cup, but Ulster is irrelevant to this; the question is can Ospreys take Munster at home? For me the answer is yes. Ospreys by 4.

Last time the Ospreys played Munster the Ospreys had 19 players called up to international rugby and quite a lot of injuries and we still beat Munster at home. O'Connell, Stringer, O'Gara and all the old generals came on and we held firm and beat them. We also beat them away from home with a bit to spare so the Ospreys have no reason to worry about Munster.

If we turn up on the day and get a referee that allows us to use our scrum we could smash them off the park.

Forget everything I just said... Allain Rolland is the referee, Munster by 8. steam
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 08 May 2012, 8:21 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
AlynDavies wrote:

Forget everything I just said... Allain Rolland is the referee, Munster by 8. steam

Is that Alain Rolland, the terribly biased French referee who sent off Warburton or Alan O'Roland, the extremely biased Irish ref who never gives Wales anything?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 08 May 2012, 8:33 pm

Glad to hear Ospreys season ticket sales are up. They have the potential to be one of Europe's most formidable sides.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 08 May 2012, 10:28 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Glad to hear Ospreys season ticket sales are up. They have the potential to be one of Europe's most formidable sides.

In the current economical situation in Wales it is hard to think of a bright future. But the Ospreys are finally realising what the fans need and want. Cheaper tickets, deals on season tickets, cheap shirt sales like two for one etc will help convince the fans that the region are making an effort to garner their support... Its all very positive.

If we are fortunate enough to play well and win the Rabbo it will go a long way to improving things for next season.

Yes the Ospreys can do it, but so can Glasgow, Munster and Leinster.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 09 May 2012, 8:18 am

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/matchdaytv/?play=media&id=11843

Tandy interview...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 09 May 2012, 6:56 pm

I have just heard they have appionted Allain Rolland as the ref, so my gues would be Munster by a couple of penalty's.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 09 May 2012, 7:01 pm

There is always an excuse when an irish team wins isn't there?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 09 May 2012, 7:07 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:There is always an excuse when an irish team wins isn't there?

We will see, honestly any advantage that the Ospreys had in the tight exchange has just been lost by swipe of a referee's hand, expect a slow boring game with Munster being allowed to kill anything that has anything to do with momentum. Also the scrum has now became a lottery as Allain Rolland will not ping Munster for there "dark arts" so to speak.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 09 May 2012, 7:43 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:There is always an excuse when an irish team wins isn't there?

They haven't won yet but you must admit when the Ospreys always have Irish refs for games against Munster, Leinster, and Ulster you have to question it. Too much to ask for a neutral country referee? Whistle

Peter Alan? Marius Mitrea?

Their more than capable yet they are overlooked for Irish referees.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next