The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RaboDirect Pro12: Treviso v Ospreys (Fri) 19.05pm Match/Discussion thread

+23
profitius
sugarNspikes
sheephead
HERSH
wales606
Knowsit17
HammerofThunor
LeinsterFan4life
Artful_Dodger
Shifty
LondonTiger
Casartelli
gowales
Morgannwg
Cari
BigTrevsbigmac
maestegmafia
ScarletSpiderman
Welshmushroom
bluestonevedder
red_stag
Luckless Pedestrian
LordDowlais
27 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

RaboDirect Pro12: Treviso v Ospreys (Fri) 19.05pm Match/Discussion thread Empty RaboDirect Pro12: Treviso v Ospreys (Fri) 19.05pm Match/Discussion thread

Post by LordDowlais Thu 30 Aug 2012, 2:18 pm

Well nobody has done this yet so here goes:-

Ospreys are without key forwards Justin Tipuric, Ryan Jones and George Stowers through injury as they begin their Pro 12 defence away to Treviso on Friday.

James King and open-side Sam Lewis come into the back-row alongside number eight Jon Thomas.

Treviso are without captian Antonio Pavanello, so Corniel Van Zyl will skipper the Italian side from lock.

Kris Burton starts at full-back with Alberto Di Bernardo at fly-half as Treviso opt for kicking stability.

Opsreys have named Tom Grabham, a former scrum-half who has converted to the wing and impressed on the sevens circuit, among the replacements and the 21-year-old will make his Pro12 debut if he comes off the bench.

Forwards coach Jonathan Humphreys is expecting a full-blooded opening to the new league season.

Continue reading the main story
“To make the trip on the opening weekend of the season is particularly tough

Jonathan Humphreys

Ospreys forwards coach
"Treviso is a tough place to go at any time, but to make the trip on the opening weekend of the season is particularly tough," Humphreys said.

"They are a good team who as we've seen in their two seasons in the Pro12 are a match for anyone, and they've recruited well over the summer so will be confident going into the game.

"As always, our focus in training as been on what we can bring to the table, on our preparation, attention to detail, and the need to be clinical.

"We've got a strong core of players here, experienced internationals, Lions and Grand Slam-winners, and there's another level of young players coming through below them who are the future of the region.

"We are all about development from within and this weekend sees Tom Grabham as the latest local youngster to graduate into the senior squad. He is someone who will be looking to take his opportunity just as the likes of Hanno [Dirksen], James King and Ashley Beck did last season.

"It's going to be a difficult evening. It will be warm and we'll be up against tough opponents desperate to start on a high in front of their own fans. It'll be a test of character for us but we are really looking forward to getting back into it."

Ospreys: Richard Fussell; Hanno Dirksen, Andrew Bishop, Ashley Beck, Tom Isaacs; Dan Biggar, Kahn Fotuali'i; Ryan Bevington, Richard Hibbard, Aaron Jarvis, Alun Wyn Jones (capt), Ian Evans, James King, Sam Lewis, Jonathan Thomas.

Replacements: Scott Baldwin, Duncan Jones, Joe Rees, Joe Bearman, Morgan Allen, Rhys Webb, Matthew Morgan, Tom Grabham.

Treviso: Kristopher Burton; Ludovico Nitoglia, Tommaso Iannone, Alberto Sgarbi, Luke McLean; Alberto Di Bernardo, Edoardo Gori; Alberto De Marchi, Enrico Ceccato, Ignacio Fernandez-Rouyet, Francesco Minto, Corniel Van Zyl (capt), Simone Favaro, Alessandro Zanni, Robert Barbieri.

Replacements: Franco Sbaraglini, Michele Rizzo, Lorenzo Cittadini, Dean Budd, Paul Derbyshire, Marco Filippucci, Fabio Semenzato, Brendan Williams.

Referee: John Lacey (IRFU)

Assistant Referees: Giuseppe Vivarini, Andrea Spadoni (both FIR)

Citing Commissioner: Roberto Carra (FIR)

TMO: Alan Falzone (FIR)

I honestly think that the Ospreys could struggle in this one but should have enough in the forwards to grind out a win, I hope Tom Grabham gets a run out, I was realy impressed with him at the U20 world cup.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

RaboDirect Pro12: Treviso v Ospreys (Fri) 19.05pm Match/Discussion thread Empty Re: RaboDirect Pro12: Treviso v Ospreys (Fri) 19.05pm Match/Discussion thread

Post by LordDowlais Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:04 pm

Any takers ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

RaboDirect Pro12: Treviso v Ospreys (Fri) 19.05pm Match/Discussion thread Empty Re: RaboDirect Pro12: Treviso v Ospreys (Fri) 19.05pm Match/Discussion thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:09 pm

This is a tricky fixture to have first up. It wouldn't be a huge shock if Treviso win, but it'll be a great start to their title defence if the Os can go over there and win.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:10 pm

Ospreys should win this one.

Treviso are very difficult to beat at home (they drew with Ospreys in the Heineken Cup).

However they are bringing in a lot of new players and I think will get caught out by this Ospreys team who look far more settled to me.

The one area Treviso look certainly stronger is the backrow. However, I would still back Ospreys based on the teams.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:11 pm

I am expecting big things from Bevington this year so I am glad to see him starting, also he is in my dream team so a few tries wouldn't go a miss either. Whistle

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:16 pm

Sam Lewis has got some shoes to fill. Hopefully he'll go ok, and it's not a bad game for Rabo debut (?)

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:18 pm

First observations with Treviso is they have 3 Fly Halves on the park. Now thats great if it does rain and you need to put boot to ball but what if the forecast changes. Either way I dont expect them to play a running game with that selection.

The major point I would be concerned with is that the Treviso pack look a little lightweight. Given that they will concede the ball thats risky in itself. If the pack dont get parity they wont win and if I was the Ospreys I would feel confident of getting a result. That said they do have some heavyweights on the bench so if they come on it could be a different story again. He has picked 5 forwards as well which suggests they will make a fairly wholesale change.

Could be that old cliche of "Tale of two halves"

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:21 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:First observations with Treviso is they have 3 Fly Halves on the park. Now thats great if it does rain and you need to put boot to ball but what if the forecast changes. Either way I dont expect them to play a running game with that selection.

The major point I would be concerned with is that the Treviso pack look a little lightweight. Given that they will concede the ball thats risky in itself. If the pack dont get parity they wont win and if I was the Ospreys I would feel confident of getting a result. That said they do have some heavyweights on the bench so if they come on it could be a different story again. He has picked 5 forwards as well which suggests they will make a fairly wholesale change.

Could be that old cliche of "Tale of two halves"

I think that the Ospreys have a better more balanced replacement bench than Treviso, although just going to Treviso is a tough nut to crack these days, but I hope the Ospreys can grind it out.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:22 pm

Treviso have Brendan Williams on the bench, who can be a real game changer. He's one of the best visiting players I saw last season at Dave Parade, always a threat.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:26 pm

To be honest this is one of those matches that you don't want to predict. The Ospreys seem a bit weaker than last season, and with some players missing, their back row seems to be a bit thrown together. That said sometimes it is the players who are thrown in to sink or swin that really take us by suprise.

I really wouldn't be suprised to see this go either way, but I think the loser is going to be within 7.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:49 pm

I think Ospreys will end up 2 scores clear on this one. I dont even think the extra 5 forwards (treviso have) on the bench will make the difference in the end.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 30 Aug 2012, 6:44 pm

Ospreys scrum has been weakened without jones and james to Do the damage but pretty confident the next generation will step up.

Looking forward to this.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu 30 Aug 2012, 7:04 pm

Can't call it but great to see NH rugby back again.

Very Happy

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 30 Aug 2012, 9:00 pm

If recent past seasons are anything to go by, the O's usually have a wobbly start to the season and gain momentum as time goes on, but I'm hoping that will change now they've settled with Tandy at the helm. Be interesting to see how the new team gels with some of the big names gone.

Up the P12 Champs!! king

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 30 Aug 2012, 10:35 pm

Just get the ball to Beck with Dirksen on his shoulder and the Ospreys should be fine. Hopefully Kahn shows up well and doesn't do his infamous boxkick straight to touch. Keep a close eye on the two tightheads, possible Wales players in the future.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 31 Aug 2012, 5:20 pm

From the BBC

Ospreys are without key forwards Justin Tipuric, Ryan Jones and George Stowers through injury as they begin their Pro 12 defence away to Treviso on Friday

Hang on a sec! Shocked Stowers a key forward!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19424307

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 31 Aug 2012, 5:45 pm

Really wish they would stop selecting Fussell at fullback. He is not a full back. He's a half decent winger.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 31 Aug 2012, 6:57 pm

I'm sooooo excited!!! RaboDirect Pro12: Treviso v Ospreys (Fri) 19.05pm Match/Discussion thread 3933776953

Enjoy the match everyone...the usual Cariommentary will resume shortly...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:04 pm

Sean Holley's been reincarnated as a pundit on Scrum V Rolling Eyes

Ha! Not a good start. They head over to Treviso to Phil Steele and Rowland Phillips interview and there's no sound Laugh

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:07 pm

What language is Sean Holley speaking?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:17 pm

just a general warning guys, sexist comments will lead to a ban. It's an attitude that is completely unacceptable on this forum. Ta

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:23 pm

9 - 0 after 15 minutes. Ianto has gone to the bin (who'd have thought?!). Ospreys discipline is shocking at the moment. They really need to watch themselves.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:27 pm

Biggar puts some points on the board for the O's

9 - 3.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:30 pm

Ouch. Os pushed off their own scrum.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:32 pm

*sigh* not looking good for the O's at the moment. Another Trev penalty...thankfully sent wide.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:39 pm

Oh for crying out loud! Ian Evans does a high tackle on a Trev player. What IS the matter with him?! A red card. Great.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:40 pm

ooooh Ianto, such a pleb.

High tackle, didn't start off high but he followed through with it, twp sledge, 2nd yellow becomes a red.

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:45 pm

Typical rubbish kick by Fussell there

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:47 pm

We're still more than capable of winning this in the second half with the conditions behind us.

Disappointing to lose Ianto but that's what happens when you pick him sometimes, hes a rough player who intimidates but occasionally he over steps the mark.

Still if we go in only 9 points down at half time with the elements behind us in the second half we can still win this.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:48 pm

Conditions not helping there. Biggar misses a crucial penalty.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:48 pm

Cari wrote:Conditions not helping there. Biggar misses a crucial penalty.

Yes very bad miss for us we really needed him to nail that to be honest.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:50 pm

I think he slipped a bit when he took the kick.

12 - 3 at HT. They'll be playing with the wind behind them in the second half but also a man down.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:00 pm

This is exactly the type of game i don't want to Fussell at fullback

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:12 pm

Second half...a messy game so far. Trev have a man in the bin.

12 - 6.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:15 pm

Its so frustrating to see us so bloody wasteful mad

The lads need a boot up the backside to be honest.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:15 pm

think Beck should have passed there, pretty sure that was held up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:28 pm

Sorry...got distracted by internet banking. It's still 12 - 6 and Trev have another man in the bin.

Shame the O's couldn't ground that ball, but it was excellent defence by Trev.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:28 pm

Trev doing their best to lose this now. Awful handling conditions out there for both teams too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:30 pm

Dear god Dan Biggar....
Sort your game out! mad
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:33 pm

I've just bought my ticket for next week's match at home against Ulster. I hope I don't regret that!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:36 pm

Richard fussell cant pass for shít!
Why do we play that idiot. mad

Last edited by Shifty on Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:36 pm

Oh bum. If Issac had held on to that, he would've been in there...close again.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:37 pm

Cari wrote:Oh bum. If Issac had held on to that, he would've been in there...close again.
He didnt have much chance when Fussell threw it at his knees.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:38 pm

it wasn't that low Shifty, difficult catch but he still should have done it at this level.

O's if they lose this, have left too many chances go. 3 missed kicks and one held up try, should be in the lead right now.

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:39 pm

O's scrum has stayed pretty strong after Ianto's Yellow, with JT going lock i would have thought it would have weakened.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:40 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:it wasn't that low Shifty, difficult catch but he still should have done it at this level.

O's if they lose this, have left too many chances go. 3 missed kicks and one held up try, should be in the lead right now.

I agree it's not been a good day, Biggar, Ianto and Fussell seem hell bent on blowing this game for us.

Jarvis has been getting minced i nthe scrum as well and looks very poor. We need to use Jo Rees more not Jarvis.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:44 pm

Ianto likely to face a disciplinary hearing this week sometime. Good start to his season then. Pillock.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:45 pm

If we play this back three against Toulouse we're &*%ed

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:50 pm

O's need to score here and get the conversion. 80 minutes has gone....and they're a couple of metres out....Webb knocks it on.

FT 12 - 6. Rubbish conditions. And a rubbish start for the O's.

clap Treviso.

Last edited by Cari on Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:50 pm

Nearly over. At least there'll be some intellectual David Brent-esque gems from Sean Holley in the studio to look forward to.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next