The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RaboDirect Pro12: Treviso v Ospreys (Fri) 19.05pm Match/Discussion thread

+23
profitius
sugarNspikes
sheephead
HERSH
wales606
Knowsit17
HammerofThunor
LeinsterFan4life
Artful_Dodger
Shifty
LondonTiger
Casartelli
gowales
Morgannwg
Cari
BigTrevsbigmac
maestegmafia
ScarletSpiderman
Welshmushroom
bluestonevedder
red_stag
Luckless Pedestrian
LordDowlais
27 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

RaboDirect Pro12: Treviso v Ospreys (Fri) 19.05pm Match/Discussion thread - Page 3 Empty RaboDirect Pro12: Treviso v Ospreys (Fri) 19.05pm Match/Discussion thread

Post by LordDowlais Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well nobody has done this yet so here goes:-

Ospreys are without key forwards Justin Tipuric, Ryan Jones and George Stowers through injury as they begin their Pro 12 defence away to Treviso on Friday.

James King and open-side Sam Lewis come into the back-row alongside number eight Jon Thomas.

Treviso are without captian Antonio Pavanello, so Corniel Van Zyl will skipper the Italian side from lock.

Kris Burton starts at full-back with Alberto Di Bernardo at fly-half as Treviso opt for kicking stability.

Opsreys have named Tom Grabham, a former scrum-half who has converted to the wing and impressed on the sevens circuit, among the replacements and the 21-year-old will make his Pro12 debut if he comes off the bench.

Forwards coach Jonathan Humphreys is expecting a full-blooded opening to the new league season.

Continue reading the main story
“To make the trip on the opening weekend of the season is particularly tough

Jonathan Humphreys

Ospreys forwards coach
"Treviso is a tough place to go at any time, but to make the trip on the opening weekend of the season is particularly tough," Humphreys said.

"They are a good team who as we've seen in their two seasons in the Pro12 are a match for anyone, and they've recruited well over the summer so will be confident going into the game.

"As always, our focus in training as been on what we can bring to the table, on our preparation, attention to detail, and the need to be clinical.

"We've got a strong core of players here, experienced internationals, Lions and Grand Slam-winners, and there's another level of young players coming through below them who are the future of the region.

"We are all about development from within and this weekend sees Tom Grabham as the latest local youngster to graduate into the senior squad. He is someone who will be looking to take his opportunity just as the likes of Hanno [Dirksen], James King and Ashley Beck did last season.

"It's going to be a difficult evening. It will be warm and we'll be up against tough opponents desperate to start on a high in front of their own fans. It'll be a test of character for us but we are really looking forward to getting back into it."

Ospreys: Richard Fussell; Hanno Dirksen, Andrew Bishop, Ashley Beck, Tom Isaacs; Dan Biggar, Kahn Fotuali'i; Ryan Bevington, Richard Hibbard, Aaron Jarvis, Alun Wyn Jones (capt), Ian Evans, James King, Sam Lewis, Jonathan Thomas.

Replacements: Scott Baldwin, Duncan Jones, Joe Rees, Joe Bearman, Morgan Allen, Rhys Webb, Matthew Morgan, Tom Grabham.

Treviso: Kristopher Burton; Ludovico Nitoglia, Tommaso Iannone, Alberto Sgarbi, Luke McLean; Alberto Di Bernardo, Edoardo Gori; Alberto De Marchi, Enrico Ceccato, Ignacio Fernandez-Rouyet, Francesco Minto, Corniel Van Zyl (capt), Simone Favaro, Alessandro Zanni, Robert Barbieri.

Replacements: Franco Sbaraglini, Michele Rizzo, Lorenzo Cittadini, Dean Budd, Paul Derbyshire, Marco Filippucci, Fabio Semenzato, Brendan Williams.

Referee: John Lacey (IRFU)

Assistant Referees: Giuseppe Vivarini, Andrea Spadoni (both FIR)

Citing Commissioner: Roberto Carra (FIR)

TMO: Alan Falzone (FIR)

I honestly think that the Ospreys could struggle in this one but should have enough in the forwards to grind out a win, I hope Tom Grabham gets a run out, I was realy impressed with him at the U20 world cup.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

RaboDirect Pro12: Treviso v Ospreys (Fri) 19.05pm Match/Discussion thread - Page 3 Empty Re: RaboDirect Pro12: Treviso v Ospreys (Fri) 19.05pm Match/Discussion thread

Post by maestegmafia Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Treviso are a pretty street wise outfit.

Simone Favaro, Alessandro Zanni, Robert Barbieri all internationals with plenty of experience.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

RaboDirect Pro12: Treviso v Ospreys (Fri) 19.05pm Match/Discussion thread - Page 3 Empty Re: RaboDirect Pro12: Treviso v Ospreys (Fri) 19.05pm Match/Discussion thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:59 am

beshocked wrote:Teams are bound to be a bit rusty at the beginning of the season.

Losing the first game of the season isn't the end of the world.

It's just as significant as losing the fifth game of the season, or the last.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:04 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
beshocked wrote:Teams are bound to be a bit rusty at the beginning of the season.

Losing the first game of the season isn't the end of the world.

It's just as significant as losing the fifth game of the season, or the last.

There speaks a man whos team never makes a final

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:11 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, Seabiscuit, but the result of the first match carries as much weight as the result of any match in the league season.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:22 am

Luckless Pedestrian some games are much more significant than others - turning points as you will.

Normally it's the games against your main rivals which are the most important.

Treviso aren't likely to challenge for top 4.

Last season my side Saracens lost to Wasps in the first game, sure if we had won that we would have topped the table but beating either Leicester or Quins was more significant in my opinion - two tight losses which meant we didn't make top 2 and consequently didn't defend our AP title.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:30 am

beshocked wrote:Last season my side Saracens lost to Wasps in the first game, sure if we had won that we would have topped the table but beating either Leicester or Quins was more significant in my opinion - two tight losses which meant we didn't make top 2 and consequently didn't defend our AP title.

I don't quite follow. Three defeats, but two were somehow worse or more significant than the third? Putting aside any bonus points, surely all defeats are as bad as each other?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:39 am

No losing in the last game is a lot worse, if its the final.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:44 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
beshocked wrote:Last season my side Saracens lost to Wasps in the first game, sure if we had won that we would have topped the table but beating either Leicester or Quins was more significant in my opinion - two tight losses which meant we didn't make top 2 and consequently didn't defend our AP title.

I don't quite follow. Three defeats, but two were somehow worse or more significant than the third? Putting aside any bonus points, surely all defeats are as bad as each other?

It's worse losing to your closest rivals in agonising circumstances. Games you know you should have/could have won.

At least the first game can be put down to rustiness and not getting out of pre season mode. Plus it's the first game - plenty of time to rectify the mistakes made.

Who remembers that Saracens got hammered by Irish in their first game in the 2010/11 season?

Losing a final is soul destroying. It can also lead to your team changing their whole gameplan even if it's the wrong decision.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:08 am

I'm talking about the regular season, Seabiscuit, you know I am.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I'm talking about the regular season, Seabiscuit, you know I am.

Losing to your main rivals is more important - its an 8 point swing from you to them, rather than losing 4pts by losing to a weak team who won't challenge for the playoffs.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:26 pm

wales606 wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I'm talking about the regular season, Seabiscuit, you know I am.

Losing to your main rivals is more important - its an 8 point swing from you to them, rather than losing 4pts by losing to a weak team who won't challenge for the playoffs.

I think there may be a few embarassed people on here come the back end of the season. Treviso are not going to be whipping boys. They are a good side, and could well be nipping the heels of the play-off contenders. Personally I see it as Leinster, Munster and Ospreys should be in the play-offs and then one of Scarlets, Blues, Ulster, Glasgow, Edinburgh or Treviso slotting into the final place, and I would not be too suprised to see anyone of them sneak the fourth place.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:21 pm

It wasnt immediately obvious from your first comment, and as a Tigers fan I consider the final to be part of the regular season. That aside the big clubs can afford to coast through some games (see Leinster), but theres some games you feel are must wins. Hence my comment, its a difference in attitude

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:08 pm

Time for a re-match...!

Both teams are showing good form. This should be a great game.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Wheres the HEC thread? Ospreys and Blues fans are letting 606v2 down... ;p

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:31 pm

I've just returned from an Internet free holiday.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:34 pm

where did you go, Port Talbot?

Laugh

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Ha ha ha...!

No, Ogmore...

Only joking, went to Norway. Beautiful country had a great time.

I'll compose a thread next time.

Until then, this one will have to do.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Scrum.com

By the time the match in France kicks off on Sunday, the Ospreys will have already played Treviso at the Liberty Stadium. The pair have already met this season with the Italian side overcoming the Welsh region for a memorable 12-6 in round one of the RaboDirect PRO12. The Ospreys welcome flanker Justin Tipuric back to their pack while hooker Richard Hibbard and prop Adam Jones have shaken off injury concerns.

The Ospreys have lost the likes of Shane Williams, Tommy Bowe and Paul James since last season but flanker Ryan Jones insists that expectation is still high in the camp. "There's been a significant change that's been well-documented over the last 12 months, really," Jones said. "But from the players' point of view the expectations are still sky high. We're highly competitive. I certainly know I am and you always look forward to pitting yourself against the best teams in Europe."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:39 pm

Ospreys team to face Benetton TrevisoThe Ospreys team to play Benetton Treviso at the Liberty Stadium on Friday 12th October, KO 8.00pm, is as follows:15 Richard Fussell
14 Hanno Dirksen

13 Andrew Bishop

12 Ashley Beck

11 Eli Walker

10 Dan Biggar

9 Kahn Fotuali'i

1 Ryan Bevington

2 Richard Hibbard

3 Adam Jones

4 Alun Wyn Jones (Capt)

5 Ian Evans

6 Ryan Jones

7 Justin Tipuric

8 Jonathan Thomas

REPLACEMENTS

16 Matthew Dwyer

17 Duncan Jones

18 Aaron Jarvis

19 George Stowers

20 Sam Lewis

21 Rhys Webb

22 Matthew Morgan

23 Tom Isaacs

Richard Hibbard makes his 150th Ospreys appearance

Jonathan Thomas makes his 50th Heineken Cup appearance for the Ospreys

Ryan Bevington makes his first Heineken Cup start

If involved off the bench, Matthew Dwyer and Sam Lewis will make their Heineken Cup debuts

The following players were not considered because of injury:

Scott Baldwin - Shoulder

Joe Bearman - Knee

Tom Smith - Groin

James Goode - Groin

Tom Habberfield - Ankle

James King - Shoulder

Backs Coach Gruff Rees said:

"This time of the year is always an exciting period and that's moreso than ever this year, with such a tough and challenging pool facing us. We've been drawn against the best team in Italy, France and England, there are six Heineken Cup titles in the pool and every match is going to be a real test.

"Treviso first up is a difficult one, we've seen for ourselves already, not just on the opening day of the season but also last year in the Heineken, how good a team they are. Leicester have also found it tough going against them in Europe and Toulouse will be well aware of how Biarritz fared against them last season, so we will be paying them the respect you would expect for such a good team.

"It's crucial in Europe to get off to a good start, and crucial that you win your home games, so the importance of Friday night can't be underestimated. As a group we'll need to be at our best if we want to get the right reward, and we need the crowd to be there fighting every inch for the cause with the team."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:56 pm

Do you have the treviso team?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:03 pm

Treviso: Luke McLean; Ludovico Nitoglia, Tommaso Benvenuti, Alberto Sgarbi, Tommaso Iannone; Kristopher Burton, Tobias Botes; Alberto De Marchi, Leonardo Ghiraldini, Jacobus Roux, Antonio Pavanello (capt), Valerio Bernabò, Simone Favaro, Alessandro Zanni, Manoa Vosawai.
Replacements: Enrico Ceccato, Ignacio Fernandez-Rouyet, Pedro Di Santo, Francesco Minto, Paul Derbyshire, Robert Barbieri, Fabio Semenzato, Andrea Pratichetti.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:06 pm

From Bbc

HEINEKEN CUP, POOL 2: OSPREYS V TREVISO
Venue: Liberty Stadium, Swansea Date: Friday, 12 October Kick-off: 20:00
Coverage: Live commentary on BBC online, live score updates on radio & online

Flanker Justin Tipuric has been passed fit for Ospreys' Heineken Cup opener against Treviso in Swansea on Friday.
The Wales open-side was hampered by a hip injury but returned to training this week ahead of the Pool 2 clash.
Tight-head prop Adam Jones came off in the 44th minute of their win over Zebre on Friday, but is fit to face Italy's leading team.
Tipuric replaces Sam Lewis at seven, while the only other change sees hooker Richard Hibbard in for Scott Baldwin.
Baldwin has a shoulder injury, allowing Hibbard to make his 150th Ospreys appearance, while Lewis drops to the bench but will be eager to make his Heineken Cup debut.
Ospreys will be wary of their visitors, who beat the Welsh team 12-6 in the Pro12's opening round in August.
Since then Steve Tandy's side have lost two more games, against Ulster and Glasgow, and staged a revival with victories against the Scarlets, Munster and Zebre.
Treviso went on to lose to Munster, Leinster and Cardiff Blues before bouncing back with a home win over the Scarlets, followed by a stunning 27-22 win at Edinburgh last weekend.
Wales and British and Irish Lions prop Jones returned from a knee injury from the bench in the win over Munster and started his first game of the season at Zebre.
The Ospreys will relish his presence to take on Treviso's scrum power, which played such an important role in poor conditions in Italy on 31 August.
And namesake Ryan Jones says the Ospreys will try to ensure the visitors are not allowed to impose their game-plan.
"We're looking to make them play from the wrong areas from their point of view and the right areas for us and making sure that we get opportunities to score points," said back-rower Ryan.
Even so, Treviso's track record, although inconsistent overall, includes wins over teams such as Biarritz and Bath - another factor that should ensure there is no complacency on the Ospreys' part.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:22 pm

Thanks maes - hope u enjoyd norway. Did u c the northern lights?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:58 pm

Not that far north, it was cold enough in Bergen. Recommend it as a great trip for anyone fancying an interesting get away.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:38 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Not that far north, it was cold enough in Bergen. Recommend it as a great trip for anyone fancying an interesting get away.

Spent 6 weeks there in 2001.Tromso,Halstad,Bodo and Bergen You see one Ffjord, you've seen them all Shocked Plus the beer is so eye wateringly expensive.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:40 pm

Everything is expensive, but I couldn't get enough of the landscape, spectacular, especially the islands off Bergen.

Managed to do a few work meetings too that might see my retirement look healthier.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3