The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread

+49
Comfort
Huwball
Goosestepper
profitius
Cardiff Dave
Valleyboy
The Great Aukster
21st Century Schizoid Man
Thomond
Liam
Taffineastbourne
J_D
Imperialbigdave
Rava
IanBru
GunsGerms
doctor_grey
mckay1402
asoreleftshoulder
LondonTiger
valjester
The Boss
Artful_Dodger
LemonyVodka5
rodders
Morgannwg
eirebilly
red_stag
MMC
Mickado
Cari
Rory_Gallagher
Shifty
LordDowlais
Breadvan
SecretFly
glamorganalun
MrsP
Gibson
LeinsterFan4life
sheephead
Jenifer McLadyboy
Feckless Rogue
maestegmafia
Notch
geoff998rugby
thebluesmancometh
Pot Hale
mrzimmerman
53 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread - Page 6 Empty Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread

Post by mrzimmerman Mon 07 May 2012, 2:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Teams announced;

Ospreys

15 Richard Fussell
14 Hanno Dirksen
13 Andrew Bishop
12 Ashley Beck
11 Shane Williams
10 Dan Biggar
9 Kahn Fotuali'i
1 Paul James
2 Richard Hibbard
3 Adam Jones
4 Alun Wyn Jones (Capt)
5 Ian Evans
6 Ryan Jones
7 Justin Tipuric
8 Joe Bearman

Replacements:

16 Scott Baldwin
17 Ryan Bevington
18 Aaron Jarvis
19 James King
20 Tom Smith
21 Rhys Webb
22 Matthew Morgan
23 Tom Isaacs

Munster: F Jones; J Murphy, K Earls, L Mafi, S Zebo; I Keatley, C Murray; W du Preez, M Sherry, BJ Botha; D O'Callaghan, M O'Driscoll; D Ryan, T O'Donnell, P O'Mahony.

Replacements: D Fogarty, D Kilcoyne, S Archer, Dave O'Callaghan, P Butler, T O'Leary, R O'Gara, I Dineen.

Big game Friday night. Any other Welsh region would be underdogs against one of the 3 main Irish teams in a big match either home or away BUT the Ospreys aren't. Reason being they aren't afraid of Munster, Leinster or Ulster as results this year have shown. The home side are favourites(this was further cemented by POC being announced as injured for the match). Saying this, there's no way that Munster will fear travelling to the Liberty. They are a strong, physical unit and will be desperate to win the Pro12 and retain their Celtic league crown.

I'm hoping for a flowing game but think both teams will play to their strengths in their respective packs. Where as to an extent the other semi is a David v Goliath I'd say this is far more evenly matched.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's views on the likely teams, key battles and anything else related.

Will update the post with teams as announced tomorrow. Have removed the dr strangelove ref from the title of the thread, got fed up of seeing it after a while.

Last edited by georgestowersbiceps on Thu 10 May 2012, 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : the teams)

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread

Post by valjester Fri 11 May 2012, 9:24 pm

Mickado wrote:Fitz said his favourite position is fullback. Earls said he's going to march into Penneys office and tell him he only wants to play at. 13. Big difference.

And fair play to him, I really fail to see what is wrong with that. Penney might tell him to f off but there is no harm in asking.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread

Post by Morgannwg Fri 11 May 2012, 9:25 pm

finished 67-10 or something I think. Notch was right, very dominant from the Bulls.

Does nobody think the Ospreys will compete better in the HC next season? although I suppose some people expect that every year.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 11 May 2012, 9:26 pm

POM with another turnover, pity everyone else has been so sh**e.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 11 May 2012, 9:26 pm

Congratulations Ospreys clap

Should be a great final. Ospreys love playing our provinces in this competition, they won't fear Leinster if the make it. Just saw the stat that Ospreys have won 8 out of 9 games against the Irish provinces this season.

Only defeat they've had against our teams was a very tight 15-14 win for Ulster at Ravenhill which they nearly sneaked at the death.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Fri 11 May 2012, 9:28 pm

Notch wrote:Congratulations Ospreys clap

Should be a great final. Ospreys love playing our provinces in this competition, they won't fear Leinster if the make it. Just saw the stat that Ospreys have won 8 out of 9 games against the Irish provinces this season.

Only defeat they've had against our teams was a very tight 15-14 win for Ulster at Ravenhill which they nearly sneaked at the death.

When you take into consideration that Leinster will be hopefully wrecked and reeling from their loss to Ulster the previous week, Ospreys should be favourites to win the final.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 11 May 2012, 9:29 pm

Good performance from Ospreys but I think we need to put it into perspective, Munster stole 2 wins at the death in the groups of the HC and went out a an ok Ulster side.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 11 May 2012, 9:29 pm

Hehe, we'll see how that pans out thumbsup
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 May 2012, 9:29 pm

what a great game! clap

Thoroughly enjoyed that, some cracking tries (I shall refrain form my usual gripes about the breakdown Wink )

Defence was superb from the O's and the counter tries were brilliant.

Just a great game for a neutral so thanks to both sides OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 11 May 2012, 9:30 pm

That was pretty embarrassing to watch..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 11 May 2012, 9:30 pm

A bit disrespectful of you Notch. Glasgow will surely give Leinster a much bigger test than Munster did tonight.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Fri 11 May 2012, 9:30 pm

From a neutral who rarely supports Ospreys, can I just say that was brilliant. Absolutely fantastic rugby at times, congratulations!

Ps. Can we scots get Ashley Beck before you guys cap him? youve got Jiffy, Jawbone and Scott Williams, you dont really need him do you....?
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 11 May 2012, 9:31 pm

One positive - future Munster backrow in O'Callaghan, O'Donnell and O'Mahony. They could be a real unit in the future IMO.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 11 May 2012, 9:32 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:what a great game! clap

Thoroughly enjoyed that, some cracking tries (I shall refrain form my usual gripes about the breakdown Wink )

Ah Dreamer never a neutral when a Welsh team play against an Irish one methinks Wink
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 11 May 2012, 9:33 pm

Massacre. Men v girls, Earls and Pom.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 11 May 2012, 9:35 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:One positive - future Munster backrow in O'Callaghan, O'Donnell and O'Mahony. They could be a real unit in the future IMO.

Right Rory.

They will struggle at half back though unless Murray gets a grip. I've been very unimpressed with him since the 6-nations.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 11 May 2012, 9:35 pm

Rava wrote:

A bit disrespectful of you Notch. Glasgow will surely give Leinster a much bigger test than Munster did tonight.

Hey Rava, I said they won't fear Leinster if they make it! Those four little words make a big difference to that sentence Whistle

I'm definitely not writing Glasgow off, thats for sure.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 May 2012, 9:35 pm

Rava wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:what a great game! clap

Ah Dreamer never a neutral when a Welsh team play against an Irish one methinks Wink

Whistle Wink

Seriously though, it takes a lot for me to support a team based in Swansea, It goes against all the views on Welsh rugby I was raised with!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 11 May 2012, 9:36 pm

Ah fairynuff Notch. I admit I was a tad quick off he mark there.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 11 May 2012, 9:37 pm

Rava wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:One positive - future Munster backrow in O'Callaghan, O'Donnell and O'Mahony. They could be a real unit in the future IMO.

Right Rory.

They will struggle at half back though unless Murray gets a grip. I've been very unimpressed with him since the 6-nations.

You know, it could end up being a fully Munster backrow for Ireland in the future, that is how promising they look IMO. Agreed though on Murray. Murray, O'Gara, O'Leary and Keatley are all crap right now. Aren't Munster getting Stringer back? They will need him.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by J_D Fri 11 May 2012, 9:38 pm

Magnificent performance clap

J_D

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 11 May 2012, 9:39 pm

The one thing about tonight is that Ospreys really looked like they wanted this. In the past their big players haven't always done it for them.
This could be a massive for Welsh regional Rugby.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 11 May 2012, 9:40 pm

Magnificent? Munster were trash. Any team would have managed to look good against them. Well maybe not Worcester. Wink

Last edited by Pot Hale on Fri 11 May 2012, 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 May 2012, 9:41 pm

Rava wrote:The one thing about tonight is that Ospreys really looked like they wanted this. In the past their big players haven't always done it for them.
This could be a massive for Welsh regional Rugby.

+1

AWJ, Ryan, Adam, Beck (i know he hasn't been capped yet) all just looked so hungry for this. They know what they need to do to help make the region work, and a working O's is brilliant for Welsh rugby (as much as it pains me to type that Wink )

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 11 May 2012, 9:41 pm

Keatley played very well at 10 until he was sent to fb when Murphy got injured.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 11 May 2012, 9:43 pm

You got to admire how the ospreys have turned things around. Got rid of all the galacticos and Hollywood players and look much better for it.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 11 May 2012, 9:44 pm

I realise they may well have to travel to Dublin for the Final and that is not dismissive of Glasgow, but I hope the Ospreys fans do get behind their team and make the trip.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 11 May 2012, 9:51 pm

I have to say, I thought Rolland was crap. When you try to be as strict as that at the breakdown, you have to be very precise and be just as strict for both teams (impossible), and it just spoils the game and the momentum for both sides. Having watched some super rugby lately, the referees seem to be letting the players fight it out at the breakdown, without blowing their whistles for every wee infringement. Just over complicates things when a referee tries to be that strict.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 May 2012, 9:53 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:I have to say, I thought Rolland was crap. When you try to be as strict as that at the breakdown, you have to be very precise and be just as strict for both teams (impossible), and it just spoils the game and the momentum for both sides. Having watched some super rugby lately, the referees seem to be letting the players fight it out at the breakdown, without blowing their whistles for every wee infringement. Just over complicates things when a referee tries to be that strict.

Man, the Irish aaaalways moan about the ref, can't they just comment on the game? Wink

(this is a joke btw Rory, what you've just said is what I said about Rolland after the Scarlets v Munster game*, but apparently I wasn't allowed to comment on the ref as I'm Welsh Sad )

*although actually my complaint was that he wasn't strict enough, looks like he went too far the other way, bless him he's no chance of pleasing everyone Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Fri 11 May 2012, 9:54 pm

Ospreys were fantastic,Munster were poor.Great game to watch as a neutral.Stuffed me in Sportsguru as my prediction was O's by 5!!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 11 May 2012, 9:56 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:(this is a joke btw Rory, what you've just said is what I said about Rolland after the Scarlets v Munster game*, but apparently I wasn't allowed to comment on the ref as I'm Welsh Sad )

Sorry dreamer- rules are rules. No Welsh posters are allowed to have opinions of their own. Surely as an admin you understand Hug
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 May 2012, 9:57 pm

Notch wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:(this is a joke btw Rory, what you've just said is what I said about Rolland after the Scarlets v Munster game*, but apparently I wasn't allowed to comment on the ref as I'm Welsh Sad )

Sorry dreamer- rules are rules. No Welsh posters are allowed to have opinions of their own. Surely as an admin you understand Hug

Tis such a hard life Cry

Taff - same here, think I had the O's by only 6. At least I got the winner right if not the points margin Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 11 May 2012, 9:59 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:I have to say, I thought Rolland was crap. When you try to be as strict as that at the breakdown, you have to be very precise and be just as strict for both teams (impossible), and it just spoils the game and the momentum for both sides. Having watched some super rugby lately, the referees seem to be letting the players fight it out at the breakdown, without blowing their whistles for every wee infringement. Just over complicates things when a referee tries to be that strict.

Man, the Irish aaaalways moan about the ref, can't they just comment on the game? Wink

(this is a joke btw Rory, what you've just said is what I said about Rolland after the Scarlets v Munster game*, but apparently I wasn't allowed to comment on the ref as I'm Welsh Sad )

*although actually my complaint was that he wasn't strict enough, looks like he went too far the other way, bless him he's no chance of pleasing everyone Smile

I knew someone was going to tell me off for saying anything about the ref. Laugh

I don't think he was good for either team. In fact, I think especially at the end he gave Munster a lot of chances, and Munster just completely blew it. I don't think I have seen Munster play that badly before in my life. They just looked bored.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 11 May 2012, 10:01 pm

Are the welsh fans really neutrals when watching a different region play? I am completely supporting Munster/Leinster/Connacht whenever they are not playing Ulster! In the order of Connacht, then Leinster, then Munster. Wink

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 May 2012, 10:04 pm

I like to see the other Welsh regions do well, but I find the O's hardest to support though, but that's harking back to the old days of the Llanelli v Swansea rivalry. Just can't forget it!

I think it's more that we like to see the other regions do well, but aren't overly fussed if they don't. As things stand with the regions at the moment though, think most of us can see we need as many of them to be as successful as possible Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 11 May 2012, 10:04 pm

Rolland was excellent tonight. Can't see why anyone would want to comment otherwise.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 11 May 2012, 10:04 pm

What a fantastic performance from the O's. I'm so so proud of them. Really pleased for Tandy too. They really should've got him in sooner. Still, they've come this far at the end of what has been a bit of a turbulent season in Ospreylia and things should only get better for them. Was quite emotional at the end of all that seeing all the lads walking about on the pitch afterwads. Well done PJ on the MOTM, thoroughly deserved, although it could've gone to half the team!

See you at the final...come on Glasgae!!! (Apologies Leinster fans, but it's easier for me to get to Swansea than Dublin!! Laugh )

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 11 May 2012, 10:05 pm

Rava wrote:Rolland was excellent tonight. Can't see why anyone would want to comment otherwise.

He was. Very consistent, although I was laughing at Jiffy's commentary when Tippy tackled I think it was, Maafi Laugh

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 11 May 2012, 10:06 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:I like to see the other Welsh regions do well, but I find the O's hardest to support though, but that's harking back to the old days of the Llanelli v Swansea rivalry. Just can't forget it!

I think it's more that we like to see the other regions do well, but aren't overly fussed if they don't. As things stand with the regions at the moment though, think most of us can see we need as many of them to be as successful as possible Smile

That's a great attitude to go forward with. I just hope enough of you feel the same.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Fri 11 May 2012, 10:06 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:
Notch wrote:

Tis such a hard life Cry

Taff - same here, think I had the O's by only 6. At least I got the winner right if not the points margin Smile
You are doing fine!Once I have shaken off Kiwireddevil I will be after you.May have left it a bit late mind!!!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 11 May 2012, 10:09 pm

Rava wrote:Rolland was excellent tonight. Can't see why anyone would want to comment otherwise.

I guess it depends what you prefer to see Rava. I prefer the referees letting the players fight it out at the breakdown, as it allows for a fast paced game, and both teams can compete properly. Rolland was very strict, and like I said, that meant he had to be pretty perfect in order to avoid inconsistencies. I suppose in that respect he was consistent enough, but he was far too quick to blow his whistle IMO.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 11 May 2012, 10:11 pm

How good was that, best Ospreys performance I have probably ver witnessed. The intesnsity in defence and at the breakdown won the game for them tonight, coupled off with some outstanding backs play. Special mentions go to:

Beck
Hibbard
James
Ryan
AWJ
Ianto
Biggar
O'mahney (sp?)

All round brilliant performance, and imo, I actually don't think Munster were that bad at all.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 May 2012, 10:11 pm

I thought he was much better tonight then he was for the Scarlets v Munster match.

How's that for diplomatic Very Happy

He didn't have a negative influence on the game anyways I don't think, which for me is a lot of what matters.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 11 May 2012, 10:14 pm

I thought the O's forwards were superb tonight. POM was fantastic for Munster and I thought Earls looked really good as well at times. There were some bum passes being thrown about between the Munster bunch though.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 11 May 2012, 10:15 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

I guess it depends what you prefer to see Rava. I prefer the referees letting the players fight it out at the breakdown, as it allows for a fast paced game, and both teams can compete properly. Rolland was very strict, and like I said, that meant he had to be pretty perfect in order to avoid inconsistencies. I suppose in that respect he was consistent enough, but he was far too quick to blow his whistle IMO.

I'm not a big Rolland fan, but tonight, I thought he got the breakdown spot on. I noticed he gave it a couple of seconds despite obvious infringements, seeing if there was anything that could occur from the situation. If there wasn't, he gave the penalty and that was that. I thought the no.7 for Munster should have got a blatant yellow card in the first half when clearly on the wrong side of the ruck, then kicking the ball away. Instead, Rolland had a word and kept 15 vs 15 on the field.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 11 May 2012, 10:15 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:

I thought he was much better tonight then he was for the Scarlets v Munster match.

He didn't have a negative influence on the game anyways I don't think, which for me is a lot of what matters.

Jiffy summed it up perfectly, he said the game should be about both sides not the man in the orange shirt. And it wasn't.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 May 2012, 10:16 pm

Cari wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:

Jiffy summed it up perfectly, he said the game should be about both sides not the man in the orange shirt. And it wasn't.

+1

Hope you enjoyed that game Cari!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 11 May 2012, 10:17 pm

Ryan Jones is in the form of his life it seems. I honestly rate him higher than Lydiate currently.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 11 May 2012, 10:18 pm

Cari, congrats. You must be so delighted.

A new generation of players at the Ospreys are beginning to make a name for themselves. Hopefully with the egos and celebrity delusions that used to hold the team back.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 11 May 2012, 10:21 pm

Shoite, pure shoite, utterly pathetic. ROG ,I've wanted you gonoe for a season now, the doors open and slam it shut behind you.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 11 May 2012, 10:26 pm

Absolutely loved it. Lovely to see Tommy at the end too wandering about looking scrummy Ospreys v Munster Pro12 Semi Final match thread - Page 6 3933776953

R-Jo seems to just get better these days, it's like he's having a second wind or something. It's great to see because in rugby terms he's middle aged! So proud of Alywyn too. I felt a smidge of sadness as PJ wandered off, but he got the MOTM award which is a perfect ending for the player who's made the most appearances in an O's shirt ever. Also Danny made 1000 points for the O's, so I'm chuffed for him too.

Thomond Hug If it's any consolation, Munster seemed to have produced another hot no.7. I thought he looked tasty anyhoo... Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next