The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ERCC: Pool 4, Round 6 - Bath Rugby v Glasgow Warriors

+39
Cyril
LeinsterFan4life
The Saint
Welly
No 7&1/2
A Simply Mesmeric Try
highland_scot
madmaccas
lostinwales
quinsforever
GLove39
Heaf
Notch
Bathite
Majestic83
reallybored
Nematode
beshocked
Tattie Scones RRN
BamBam
IanBru
teh_Dingmeister
malky1963
cakeordeath
TJ
MacKnocked-on
VinceWLB
tigertattie
BigGee
Bathman_in_London
R!skysports
Mad for Chelsea
funnyExiledScot
jimbopip
HammerofThunor
LondonTiger
RDW
George Carlin
43 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

ERCC: Pool 4, Round 6 - Bath Rugby v Glasgow Warriors  - Page 7 Empty ERCC: Pool 4, Round 6 - Bath Rugby v Glasgow Warriors

Post by George Carlin Mon 19 Jan 2015, 7:44 am

First topic message reminder :

ERCC: Pool 4, Round 6 - Bath Rugby v Glasgow Warriors  - Page 7 Bath_f10            ERCC: Pool 4, Round 6 - Bath Rugby v Glasgow Warriors  - Page 7 Glasgo10  
Bath Rugby v Glasgow Warriors
Pool 4, Round 6
Sunday 25 January 2015, KO 13:00
The Recreation Ground, Bath

Live on BT Sport

Referee John Lacey (Ireland)
Touch Judge 1 Sean Gallagher (Ireland)
Touch Judge 2 Olly Hodges (Ireland)
Fourth Official Peter Huckle (England)
TMO Marshall Kilgore (Ireland)
Citing Commissioner Yves Thieffine (France)

A. Teams:

1. Bath Rugby
ERCC: Pool 4, Round 6 - Bath Rugby v Glasgow Warriors  - Page 7 Billba10
15 Anthony Watson
14 Horacio Agulla
13 Jonathan Joseph
12 Kyle Eastmond
11 Matt Banahan
10 George Ford
9 Chris Cook
1 Paul James
2 Rob Webber
3 Dave Wilson
4 Stuart Hooper (c)
5 Dominic Day
6 Matt Garvey
7 Francois Louw
8 Leroy Houston

16 Ross Batty
17 Nick Auterac
18 Henry Thomas
19 Dave Attwood
20 Carl Fearns
21 Peter Stringer
22 Ollie Devoto
23 Sam Burgess

2. Glasgow Warriors
ERCC: Pool 4, Round 6 - Bath Rugby v Glasgow Warriors  - Page 7 Tucker10
15. Sean Maitland
14. Tommy Seymour
13. Mark Bennett
12. Alex Dunbar
11. DTH van der Merwe
10. Finn Russell
9. Herny Pyrgos

1. Gordon Reid
2. Pat MacArthur
3. Mike Cusack
4. Jonny Gray
5. Al Kellock (Captain)
6. Leone Nakarawa
7. Fraser Brown
8. Richie Vernon

16. Kevin Bryce
17. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
18. Jon Welsh
19. James Eddie
20. Sean Lamont
21. Niko Matawalu
22. Peter Horne
23. Peter Murchie

B. Tournament Form:

1. Bath Rugby

18/1/15 - Toulouse 18 - 35 Bath

12/12/14 - Bath 32 - 12 Montpellier

5/12/14 - Montpellier 5 - 30 Bath

2. Glasgow Warriors

18/1/15 - Glasgow 21 - 10 Montpellier

13/12/14 - Glasgow 9 - 12 Toulouse

7/12/14 - Toulouse 19 - 11 Glasgow

C. Head to Head

7 Played 7
5 Wins 2
2 Losses 5
0 Draws 0
19 Tries 18
11 Conversions 13
19 Penalties 17
0 Drop Goals 0
174 Points 167

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 23 Jan 2015, 4:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

ERCC: Pool 4, Round 6 - Bath Rugby v Glasgow Warriors  - Page 7 Empty Re: ERCC: Pool 4, Round 6 - Bath Rugby v Glasgow Warriors

Post by 123456789 Sun 25 Jan 2015, 3:46 pm

I'd completely understand the anger if he refused to play on a friday because it was Party night but it's his religious beliefs

Back to top Go down

ERCC: Pool 4, Round 6 - Bath Rugby v Glasgow Warriors  - Page 7 Empty Re: ERCC: Pool 4, Round 6 - Bath Rugby v Glasgow Warriors

Post by TJ Sun 25 Jan 2015, 3:49 pm

BigGee wrote:
We did not lose today because of Murray, the whole pack was underpowered and 2 of our other players were otherwise occupied. They may or may not be guilty of what they were charge with, but at the very least it was not clever to have put themselves into that position. The fact remains that we did not qualify because we did not beat Toulouse at home, something we were very capable of doing. Nothing to do with Murray.

Agreed - that and a lack of bonus points and Baths excellent discipline today

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sun 25 Jan 2015, 3:51 pm

From a Scotland point of view I must admit it pains me to see Murray selected when playing for Scotland clearly isn't his highest priority. I would rather lose a bit in the scrum and have someone there who is willing to do everything in their power to help Scotland progress than someone for whom that is, at best, their second priority. Not blaming Murray for his convictions, I simply would rather he wasn't taking up a squad place

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 25 Jan 2015, 3:53 pm

BigGee wrote:
We did not lose today because of Murray, the whole pack was underpowered and 2 of our other players were otherwise occupied. They may or may not be guilty of what they were charge with, but at the very least it was not clever to have put themselves into that position. The fact remains that we did not qualify because we did not beat Toulouse at home, something we were very capable of doing. Nothing to do with Murray.
Absolutely, let's be clear about this - the damage had already been done against Toulouse as it was against Cardiff last year. We shouldn't have lost either of those games and yet we lost both. We should have been out of sight in this group or at worst been heading to the Rec needing a LBP only.

Add to that our first choice 6, 7, 8, 1, 15 and 20 all missing and you cannot be naive about how difficult it's going to be.

I hope that Glasgow learns from this, because with the Irish sides dropping off a little this year, it is Glasgow's best shot at winning the Pro12 that they've ever had.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 25 Jan 2015, 4:05 pm

I am sure it is already happening, but Toonie and co need to have a long hard think about next year's squad. The balance is not quite right and we were caught short today. I thought we were not badly off in the back row but was proved wrong today. We always looked vulnerable in the second row though and the chickens came home to roost today. Sometimes it is not even the props fault that they are folding when they are not getting the support from behind and on the side.

So the logic of losing Maitland and Niko may actually have some serious method in the madness. We actually play better with Henry controlling the flow at SH than we do with Niko flying about all over the place as well. I wonder how he will get on at Bath? He may struggle to start there as well and they may not be as tolerant of some of his idiosyncrasies as well.

As long as the money is well spent, I don't have any great qualms about either of them going. An open side and a lock should be pretty high on the shopping list!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 25 Jan 2015, 4:07 pm

Is it fair to say Glasgow has the best defensive line in Europe? They only conceded 6 tries, 3 of those were penalty tries from scrums.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun 25 Jan 2015, 4:12 pm

I think we'll see Matawalu back at Glasgow before too long he is not a scrum half for the English game, especially not for Bath. Say what you like about their respective qualities but in England, because of the relegation system, he will struggle against the top sides in the same way he has at Glasgow but the attritional nature of the lower English sides will stifle Matawalu as well.
He won't be a flop but he will not gain the icon status he had at Glasgow and before too long he'll be at Glasgow or in France.
Maitland will be the bigger loss, I hope we sign a big Fijian winger to replace him and get a good SQ scrumhalf.

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 25 Jan 2015, 4:12 pm

BigGee wrote:I am sure it is already happening, but Toonie and co need to have a long hard think about next year's squad. The balance is not quite right and we were caught short today. I thought we were not badly off in the back row but was proved wrong today. We always looked vulnerable in the second row though and the chickens came home to roost today. Sometimes it is not even the props fault that they are folding when they are not getting the support from behind and on the side.

So the logic of losing Maitland and Niko may actually have some serious method in the madness. We actually play better with Henry controlling the flow at SH than we do with Niko flying about all over the place as well. I wonder how he will get on at Bath? He may struggle to start there as well and they may not be as tolerant of some of his idiosyncrasies as well.

As long as the money is well spent, I don't have any great qualms about either of them going. An open side and a lock should be pretty high on the shopping list!

Totallly agree, i have been saying since the beginning of the season Glasgow needs another one like Ickle Jonny, Swinson, Nakarawa, Kellock obviously aren't the answer. They need a big physical specimen, someone like Bresler actually or Jake Ball at the Scarlets.

I won't miss Niko much personally, he actually slowed down the game when he came on and looked lost out there. I think Glasgow actually missed a trick by not playing Maitland at fullback more though.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun 25 Jan 2015, 4:21 pm

I agree about Maitland but we couldn't really view him as a wing/ full-back as he was always going to be away at the same time as Hogg. Although I really do not rate Murchie, he's a solid club player but nothing more and the kind of player Glasgow should be moving away from.
We need a tight-head, a second row, an openside and a scrum-half to join the ranks of the European elite. Nor this is far fetched but I suggest we spend roughly all of Scotland's GDP to lure McCaw to Glasgow. He's a big name who'll draw people in and will be a big influence on the young Scottish players. We milk him for all he's worth for two to three years then appoint him assistant coach coupled with a role at the academy before promoting him to head coach when Townsend is either lured abroad or promoted to head coach following our victorious 2019 world cup campaign when Cotter moves abroad. There must be a big eastern European tighthead somewhere who wants to sign for pittance, second row we simply sign Etzebeth.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 25 Jan 2015, 5:07 pm

Our situation in the second row looks even worse when you consider that we will lose Naka, JG and maybe Swinson to the WC squads. For that reason and that alone, I do wonder if we will have to keep Big Al playing on for another year and see if Tom Ryder's knees can be patched up for one more season. Any Marquee international signing is not going to come till after the WC and then is likely to be knackered for some time and likely out of synch having come off the back of a SH season.

For that reason it may be that we go for one of the youngsters in France Crammond or the one at Perpignan, whose name I can't remember. They are not going to cost a fortune and so may be worth a punt. I would still like us to go for a bigger name but just don't see it happening for the beginning of next season.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bored.. Sun 25 Jan 2015, 5:08 pm

I thought Fraser Brown was outstanding today apart from a couple of debatable penalties he gave away. I wonder if he'll viewed as a hooker/backrower by toonie or possibly the scotland selectors?

Henry allowed the backline to do their stuff; unlike Matawalu who stifles them. Dunbar was immense and is the most consistent centre in Scotland. Bennett had a few nice touches. However, I'd rather see Scott and Dunbar in against France and see Bennett later on in the tournament. Maitland looks more of an attacking threat at full back.

Toonie needs to invest in a quality tighthead with Murray looking to retire after the world cup and Rae and Ferguson don't look like they can handle the big time yet. I would get Mike Blair back to cover for Henry/ mentor Ali Price. We need to find a physically imposing 7 as Fusaro is sadly doesn't cut it. In the second row I don't think our options are as poor as some are making out - Tom Ryder was playing club rugby this weekend and if he gets back to full fitness he will be a very handy squad player to have. There's always a possibility that Ryder won't regain his fitness/ form, in that situation Toonie should look into getting Fraser McKenzie from Edinburgh as they have a surplus of second rows

Bored..

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 25 Jan 2015, 5:09 pm

Any decent Super Rugby locks that won't be in the world cup? Not ideal as they will be fatigued after a long season, but probably the best market to go for.

You need a big tough saffer tbh!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 25 Jan 2015, 5:15 pm

Bored.. wrote:I thought Fraser Brown was outstanding today apart from a couple of debatable penalties he gave away. I wonder if he'll viewed as a hooker/backrower by toonie or possibly the scotland selectors?

Henry allowed the backline to do their stuff; unlike Matawalu who stifles them. Dunbar was immense and is the most consistent centre in Scotland. Bennett had a few nice touches. However, I'd rather see Scott and Dunbar in against France and see Bennett later on in the tournament. Maitland looks more of an attacking threat at full back.

Toonie needs to invest in a quality tighthead with Murray looking to retire after the world cup and Rae and Ferguson don't look like they can handle the big time yet. I would get Mike Blair back to cover for Henry/ mentor Ali Price. We need to find a physically imposing 7 as Fusaro is sadly doesn't cut it. In the second row I don't think our options are as poor as some are making out - Tom Ryder was playing club rugby this weekend and if he gets back to full fitness he will be a very handy squad player to have. There's always a possibility that Ryder won't regain his fitness/ form, in that situation Toonie should look into getting Fraser McKenzie from Edinburgh as they have a surplus of second rows

Edinburgh do seem well stocked in the second row department and to be honest we could probably do with any of Atkins, Toolis (mark 2) or McKernzie. That would still leave them Toolis (mark 1), Bresslar, Gilchrist + 2 others.

Just as a thought though, has any Glasgow player ever gone to Edinburgh or is it always one way traffic. I can't think of anyone?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 25 Jan 2015, 5:17 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Any decent Super Rugby locks that won't be in the world cup? Not ideal as they will be fatigued after a long season, but probably the best market to go for.

You need a big tough saffer tbh!

Probably right, there seems to be no shortage of them. maybe even one with a Scottish granny!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Sun 25 Jan 2015, 5:21 pm

TJ wrote:
madmaccas wrote:
TJ wrote:No you can't.  But a player who is not available for any reason for some of the games should not be on the roster.  Its not religious discrimination.  

I assume you hold this argument for single mother's etc who need to work on flexi time or part time?

Do also lament people who miss games for the birth of their children or a death?

I have no doubt the rev is on a reduced salary to reflect his availability so what's the problem? We probably couldn't afford him otherwise. Better to have him half the time than none of it, especially when we have injuries.

I'd rather a lessor player who was available when needed.  Its nothing like your first two examples - they are not a matter of choice.  I work in a 24/7/ 365 day profession.  We have many religious people working alongside me.  they all work on Sundays.

Why? Lots of parents choose to work part time instead of putting their kids into childcare. It's a choice to 0ut their children first based on their convictions, just as it's Murray's choice to put his faith first based on his convictions.

As I said it'll be reflected in his salary so what's the issue? For the money saved we probably are able to afford a lesser prop as well! So we get a British Lion for over 50% of our games and he can impart invaluable knowledge on the younger props in the process.

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun 25 Jan 2015, 5:47 pm

On another note did anyone else think Maitland could have got an offload out to Lamont in the last minute when Watson came in?

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 25 Jan 2015, 5:56 pm

I'm fairly sure Murray would have dealt with Auterac better than Welsh and maybe avoid the 2nd penalty try but we can't really blame him for staying faithful to his convictions. At the end of the day Glasgow knew what they were getting when they signed him.
Welsh is technically pretty poor, opposite LH often get under him and drives him up.

Why didn't Glasgow go for a lineout at the end? would have like to see Glasgow attack from there.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 25 Jan 2015, 6:05 pm

123456789 wrote:On another note did anyone else think Maitland could have got an offload out to Lamont in the last minute when Watson came in?

I think we often complain that Maitland does not back himself. He did this time and was so close. Give the tackler the credit this time, it was an immense effort.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 25 Jan 2015, 6:38 pm

123456789 wrote:On another note did anyone else think Maitland could have got an offload out to Lamont in the last minute when Watson came in?

Young Pipetto was screaming , "Why didn't he offload it to the winger?"
Sometimes it's kind of difficult to explain the subtleties of the game to an 11 year old.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun 25 Jan 2015, 6:43 pm

Yeah it was a decent tackle but there was a split moment that I kind of feel defines Maitland as a player, the part that shows him to be very good but not quite world class, he had a tiny window of opportunity to give it to Lamont. I suppose it would have been a very difficult conversion anyway but I can't help that feel that a Bennett or Hogg (I'm not saying they are "world class" before FES reads this) would have given the offload

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun 25 Jan 2015, 6:48 pm

And the idea of us criticising him for not backing himself sometimes etc. I understand but surely the essence of being a top class player is knowing when to back yourself and when not?

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 25 Jan 2015, 7:33 pm

Mr Bru? I see that you got a retweety thing from the Warriors:
https://twitter.com/IanMacGilp/status/559385053034479617/photo/1
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sun 25 Jan 2015, 8:18 pm

Oh yes GC, I'm quite the Twitter celebrity tonight!

I'll reflect more on this tomorrow, but my overriding feeling is if pretty tremendous pride at what those boys did today. Yes, the result sucks, but I think that kind of performance will underline to a lot of people where we are as a club, and that competing against the strongest English and French sides is now our natural level.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 25 Jan 2015, 8:50 pm

Probably little consolation, but great effort from a depleted Glasgow side. I feared for you with that back row and to get so close was a mighty effort.

Fraser Brown is Scotland bench hooker now, and pushing Ford extremely hard.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Sun 25 Jan 2015, 8:59 pm

Quite a few comments appreciative of Glasgow (and their support) on COML after that game.

Great effort . Pity about the result.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by malky1963 Sun 25 Jan 2015, 11:15 pm

An almost 'great' performance from Glasgow - a little bit more composure at the 3/4 key times on the Barf 5m line but they screwed up and the game was lost.
Bath scored 2 penalty tries (both justifiable decisions) but were hardly ever threatening apart from that.
It is very frustrating but that is life.
The best team lost but it was their own stupid fault.

malky1963

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7