The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh V Bordeaux-Begles

+16
Heaf
VinceWLB
IanBru
Manky-Flanker
teh_Dingmeister
HammerofThunor
GLove39
justified sinner
EWT Spoons
Nematode
cakeordeath
BigGee
whocares
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
RDW
20 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Edinburgh V Bordeaux-Begles Empty Edinburgh V Bordeaux-Begles

Post by RDW Wed 21 Jan 2015, 1:57 pm

Edinburgh V Bordeaux-Begles Edinbu11             Edinburgh V Bordeaux-Begles Bordow11
Edinburgh V Bordeaux-Begles

Friday 23rd January 2015, KO 19:45
BT Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh
Live on Sky Sports  Yahoo

Referee Ian Davies (Wales)
Touch Judge 1 Wayne Davies (Wales)
Touch Judge 2 Jon Hardy (Wales)
Fourth Official Graeme Marshall (Scotland)
TMO Derek Bevan (Wales)
Citing Commissioner Gordon Black (Ireland)

Official Blurb

Just one point separates Edinburgh and Bordeaux-Begles at the top of Pool 4 as they prepare for a crucial showdown on Friday night.

Edinburgh lead the way with 17 points despite their defeat away in Lyon in round five, with Bordeaux a point behind on 16.

The Scots will be favourites to progress as pool winners having won their last three games at home in the competition and they boast an impressive record of not having lost at Murrayfield in the Challenge Cup since 1997.

But despite their tag as favourites for the pool, Edinburgh assistant coach Steve Scott says they will be looking to keep it tight against the French club.

Scott said: "We do not want an open game against them because that is what they will want and they will come here to play that way.

"If we have a chance to kick for touch then we must find it because Bordeaux can attack from anywhere. They will try and take quick lineout throws and they will play a high tempo game.

"We have to continue the good work that our scrum put in against Lyon while we did well at stopping their maul and we will need to do the same against Bordeaux. We have standards in those areas and we have to maintain them and build on them to get a victory."

Edinburgh head coach Alan Solomons said his players were physically and mentally drained after their defeat in Lyon but his assistant Scott believes they will be able to lift themselves for Friday's all-important clash.

"The boys were off on Monday and they will have Wednesday off too, so they will be raring to go come Friday night," he said.

"We are starting to get our big players back though and some of the younger guys have come in and done really well. We can make changes when required, but at the moment this team is still building and we need a settled side."

My blurb

Edinburgh 17 points
UBB 16 points
Lyon 14 points

Edinburgh looked like they were going to canter through this group, but a failure to get a single try bonus point so far (including against London Welsh) and a tired loss to Lyon has put the pressure back on.  A win of any kind will see Edinburgh top the group.  A loss could see them being knocked out, as Lyon will probably give London Welsh a good pumping.

The main concern at this stage is player fatigue, as the same squad has essentially played together since the first 1872 games, and a lot of key players have played 80 minutes in most of those games.  Hopefully this shouldn't be an issue given the break coming up, and the fact that it is a home game without any travel.  Solomons says the players will be well rested this week, so hopefully they can put in one final push.

We should win this one, but UBB are tough opposition so it could depend on how interested they are in this game.

Teams

Edinburgh
Edinburgh V Bordeaux-Begles Timnic10
15 Nick McLENNAN
14 Dougie FIFE
13 Matt SCOTT
12 Phil BURLEIGH
11 Tim VISSER
10 Greig TONKS
9 Sam HIDALGO-CLYNE

1 Alasdair DICKINSON
2 Ross FORD
3 WP NEL
4 Anton BRESLER
5 Ben TOOLIS
6 Mike COMAN (Captain)
7 Hamish WATSON
8 David DENTON

Substitutes
16 Neil COCHRANE
17 Rory SUTHERLAND
18 John ANDRESS
19 Fraser McKENZIE
20 Roddy GRANT
21 Sean KENNEDY
22 Jade TE RURE
23 Andries STRAUSS

[b]UBB

Edinburgh V Bordeaux-Begles Elodie10

15 Baptiste Serin (capt)
14 Lévi Aumua
13 Charles Brousse
12 Thibault Lacroix
11 Paulin Riva
10 Lionel Beauxis
9 Heini Adams

1 Jefferson Poirot
2 Benat Auzqui
3 Francisco Gomez Kodela
4 Julien Le Devedec
5 Jan Andre Marais
6 Bertrand Guiry
7 Hugh Chalmers
8 Tai Tuifua

16 Ole Avei
17 Sébastien Taofifenua
18 Patrick Toetu
19 Jean-Baptiste Poux
20 Matthew Graham
21 Yann Lesgourgues
22 Pierre Bernard
23 Matthew Clarkin

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 2:00 pm; edited 3 times in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh V Bordeaux-Begles Empty Re: Edinburgh V Bordeaux-Begles

Post by George Carlin Wed 21 Jan 2015, 2:10 pm

I'm sure Grandpappy is not stressed by this one at all, as this relaxed, off-duty picture taken yesterday proves:

Edinburgh V Bordeaux-Begles Edinbu10
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 21 Jan 2015, 2:18 pm

It wouldn't be a complete disaster if we went out, but would be fairly disappointing.  Given we've got a sniff of the top 6, and have shown that our squad depth isn't that great, more games might ruin our chances a bit.

Saying that, we've invested a lot of effort into this tournament, and a home quarter final (and maybe even semi final) would create a lot of excitement and hopefully bring more fans in.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 21 Jan 2015, 3:54 pm

No excuses, and certainly no excuses around fatigue. Solomons has completely ignored rotation and flogged his 1st XV. He has recognised this by giving two days off this week, so clearly he feels he's done the right thing in terms of utilising the squad.

We should be winning this.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 21 Jan 2015, 5:21 pm

warning what?! Sarko to represent my team boxing

game is also live on free to air France 4 Yahoo

otherwise have no news on the team they might send appart than hooker maynadier got injured last weekend so they might either send Avei or be in trouble...all the talk this week been on the latest signings for next season which suggest they will be fighting in a different category now.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 21 Jan 2015, 5:23 pm

Do you think they'll send their strongest team whocares

If they lose, they're out probably! If that bothers them...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 21 Jan 2015, 5:24 pm

whocares wrote: warning  what?! Sarko to represent my team  boxing

George Carlin did the pictures - don't blame me!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 21 Jan 2015, 5:32 pm

I've scored access to one of the corporate boxes for this fixture. I have high expectations of free booze!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 21 Jan 2015, 6:41 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I've scored access to one of the corporate boxes for this fixture. I have high expectations of free booze!

If you've got any spare tickets I'm sure I could pretend to be a lawyer!

Although to get in the right mind set to blend in I might have to push over some grannies on the street and steal sweets from kids...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 21 Jan 2015, 7:50 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
whocares wrote: warning  what?! Sarko to represent my team  boxing

George Carlin did the pictures - don't blame me!

Jaysus - all right, all right - I've given you the beautiful Elodie Yung (born in Paris) instead.

I quite liked the idea of two Tim Nice But Dim equivalents, but there we have it.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 21 Jan 2015, 8:13 pm

Good man GC. That's more like it thumbsup

My gut feeling is that UBB team will be a bit hybrid as they have some T14 games to prepare next but also have some injuries in the backs (last weekend we had a winger at centre). In a nutshell I dont have a bloody clue. I think the team will be competitive so who knows. Not sure it would be good for them to qualify as the competition for the top 6 is fierce over here and if they dont make it there will be huge disappointment specially for the likes of AAC and Kepu who are already signed up for next season.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 21 Jan 2015, 9:20 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I've scored access to one of the corporate boxes for this fixture. I have high expectations of free booze!

If you've got any spare tickets I'm sure I could pretend to be a lawyer!

Although to get in the right mind set to blend in I might have to push over some grannies on the street and steal sweets from kids...

Quite right, and scoff at homeless people as well whereever possible. It's cold at the moment and us lawyers find the schadenfreude envigorating!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 22 Jan 2015, 6:05 am

Now that you're in house, presumably you are 'a client' for the purposes of Edinburgh law firms' attempts at corporate hospitality?

Just stick with the firms that give you box seats at Murrayfield. And tell them that. OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 22 Jan 2015, 8:32 am

Well in my 4.5 years as a Civil Engineer I have had one paid for night out.  98% of engineers don't know what the words 'corporate hospitality' actually mean!

FFS when we've got meetings with public clients and there are sandwiches there, we have to sign a form saying we're not using the chicken fajita wrap as a form of bribery!

Although that one paid for night out I certainly made the most of - I somehow managed to take possession of the card used for the bar tab all night, and although I had to get other people drinks I certainly had plenty! vomit

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 22 Jan 2015, 9:40 am

GC - given that most Edinburgh law firms barely have a halfpenny to rub together, you're more likely to score a box of pencils than a box at Murrayfield off that lot!

RDW - working for the public sector is rubbish. The Bribery Act basically prohibits everything. Being in the vicinity of public sector workers and potentially depleting oxygen from there whereabouts is now criminalised, and the forms, oh the forms. Not to mention if you ever have the misfortune to work with US public sector workers. Jeez, we even have to hire some token minority staff for the day and put a ramp out front for non-existant wheelchair staff when they're in town......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 22 Jan 2015, 1:24 pm

Team is out, one change as Cuthbert not well so McCllend to FB and Roddy to the bench in swap with Watson.

He really is not much of a beleiver in rotation is he?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Thu 22 Jan 2015, 1:28 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:GC - given that most Edinburgh law firms barely have a halfpenny to rub together, you're more likely to score a box of pencils than a box at Murrayfield off that lot!

RDW - working for the public sector is rubbish. The Bribery Act basically prohibits everything. Being in the vicinity of public sector workers and potentially depleting oxygen from there whereabouts is now criminalised, and the forms, oh the forms. Not to mention if you ever have the misfortune to work with US public sector workers. Jeez, we even have to hire some token minority staff for the day and put a ramp out front for non-existant wheelchair staff when they're in town......

You want to try working for an Investment Bank, anything more than a bag of sweets has you running to compliance.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Thu 22 Jan 2015, 1:30 pm

Anyway I digress. Really looking forward to the game tomorrow. Happy with team selection.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 22 Jan 2015, 1:34 pm

15 Nick McLENNAN
14 Dougie FIFE
13 Matt SCOTT
12 Phil BURLEIGH
11 Tim VISSER
10 Greig TONKS
9 Sam HIDALGO-CLYNE

1 Alasdair DICKINSON
2 Ross FORD
3 WP NEL
4 Anton BRESLER
5 Ben TOOLIS
6 Mike COMAN (Captain)
7 Hamish WATSON
8 David DENTON

Substitutes
16 Neil COCHRANE
17 Rory SUTHERLAND
18 John ANDRESS
19 Fraser McKENZIE
20 Roddy GRANT
21 Sean KENNEDY
22 Jade TE RURE
23 Andries STRAUSS

Watson will inject plenty energy into the pack, and I just hope the front 5 manages one final shift after a heavy month of games.

Concerns over Denton though - he's got past history of not trying his hardest when he's got something bigger coming up. Given he's pretty much guaranteed the Scotland 8 shirt, I hope he still gives his all tomorrow!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 22 Jan 2015, 1:42 pm

Very much as expected - that's the 1st XV out in full.

Cotter certainly can't complain that the Edinburgh players in his Scotland squad won't arrive battle-hardened!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu 22 Jan 2015, 1:45 pm

I think I'd rather have Grant at 6, Watson at 7 and Coman at 8. But good team.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 22 Jan 2015, 1:50 pm

Grant has played 9 games in a row apparently, so is being 'rested' to the bench. I suspect he would have started if Watson hadn't been called up to the Scotland squad though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 22 Jan 2015, 1:55 pm

saw this team on the challenge cup official webiste and I hope it's not the right one!

15 Baptiste Serin (capt)
14 Lévi Aumua
13 Charles Brousse
12 Thibault Lacroix
11 Paulin Riva
10 Lionel Beauxis
9 Heini Adams

1 Jefferson Poirot
2 Benat Auzqui
3 Francisco Gomez Kodela
4 Julien Le Devedec
5 Jan Andre Marais
6 Bertrand Guiry
7 Hugh Chalmers
8 Tai Tuifua
16 Ole Avei
17 Sébastien Taofifenua
18 Patrick Toetu
19 Jean-Baptiste Poux
20 Matthew Graham
21 Yann Lesgourgues
22 Pierre Bernard
23 Matthew Clarkin

15 is basically a scrum half...
14 and 11 probably only started once this season and that was against LW...
13 is far from being a regular
9-10 ok

1 2nd choice but ok
2 3rd choice/dodgy
3 2nd choice but ok
4 ok
5 ok, first choice anyway
6 not convinced / 2nd choice
7 ok
8 ok (not many options anyway)

strong bench though...

with so little experience in the backs and difference in refereing which they are not used to (keeping in mind Ian Davies had a worst rep than Clancy over here) , it looks like Edimburgh could get their first BP of the season !

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 22 Jan 2015, 2:03 pm

cakeordeath wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:GC - given that most Edinburgh law firms barely have a halfpenny to rub together, you're more likely to score a box of pencils than a box at Murrayfield off that lot!

You want to try working for an Investment Bank, anything more than a bag of sweets has you running to compliance.
When I spoke at a conference in Qatar, they tried to give all the speakers (including me) an Omega Seamaster as a thank you.
Guess whose fecking arsewipe ladyparts firm prohibits things like that? mad
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 22 Jan 2015, 2:04 pm

whocares wrote:saw this team on the challenge cup official webiste and I hope it's not the right one!

15 Baptiste Serin (capt)
14 Lévi Aumua
13 Charles Brousse
12 Thibault Lacroix
11 Paulin Riva
10 Lionel Beauxis
9 Heini Adams

1 Jefferson Poirot
2 Benat Auzqui
3 Francisco Gomez Kodela
4 Julien Le Devedec
5 Jan Andre Marais
6 Bertrand Guiry
7 Hugh Chalmers
8 Tai Tuifua
16 Ole Avei
17 Sébastien Taofifenua
18 Patrick Toetu
19 Jean-Baptiste Poux
20 Matthew Graham
21 Yann Lesgourgues
22 Pierre Bernard
23 Matthew Clarkin

9-10 ok

1 2nd choice but ok
2 3rd choice/dodgy
3 2nd choice but ok
4 ok
7 ok

strong bench though...

with so little experience in the backs and difference in refereing which they are not used to (keeping in mind Ian Davies had a worst rep than Clancy over here) , it looks like Edimburgh could get their first BP of the season !

Pleasing to hear it is a much weakened team, but by your reckoning it is still a strong pack, and Beauxis is experienced enough to punish us if we're not on top of our game.

We're not good enough a team yet to take anyone lightly, so we will still need to put in a good performance.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 22 Jan 2015, 2:05 pm

whocares wrote:saw this team on the challenge cup official webiste and I hope it's not the right one!

15 Baptiste Serin (capt)
14 Lévi Aumua
13 Charles Brousse
12 Thibault Lacroix
11 Paulin Riva
10 Lionel Beauxis
9 Heini Adams

1 Jefferson Poirot
2 Benat Auzqui
3 Francisco Gomez Kodela
4 Julien Le Devedec
5 Jan Andre Marais
6 Bertrand Guiry
7 Hugh Chalmers
8 Tai Tuifua
16 Ole Avei
17 Sébastien Taofifenua
18 Patrick Toetu
19 Jean-Baptiste Poux
20 Matthew Graham
21 Yann Lesgourgues
22 Pierre Bernard
23 Matthew Clarkin

9-10 ok

1 2nd choice but ok
2 3rd choice/dodgy
3 2nd choice but ok
4 ok
7 ok

strong bench though...

What a weird looking team. No idea how seriously they are taking this game.

Edinburgh not far off full strength - I am expecting a win.

When we get De Preez back, then we should have a good set of ball carrying forwards.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 22 Jan 2015, 2:12 pm

George Carlin wrote:
cakeordeath wrote:

When I spoke at a conference in Qatar, they tried to give all the speakers (including me) an Omega Seamaster as a thank you.
Guess whose fecking arsewipe ladyparts firm prohibits things like that? mad

Surely that's when you have to suggest to your firm that you turned it down because you already owned exactly the same watch......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 22 Jan 2015, 3:41 pm

it is worth noting that we had 2 full backs and one wingerinjured , a winger/fb who is not qualified for the challenge cup so that's why they end up with 2 U21 centres playing on the wing for this game. Visser could have a good day as none are very fast...

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 23 Jan 2015, 6:42 pm

Would any of you lovely people have a link to this game?

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 23 Jan 2015, 6:44 pm

I will be watching on a link yes.

If you've used links before just go to the same website and you should be able to find the game!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Fri 23 Jan 2015, 7:17 pm

President's Suite busy, should be a decent crowd.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 23 Jan 2015, 7:18 pm

Is it possible for Edinburgh to get a home QF?

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 23 Jan 2015, 7:19 pm

justified sinner wrote:President's Suite busy, should be a decent crowd.

More or less then 10k you reckon?
https://twitter.com/dentweezy/status/558314138355912705

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Fri 23 Jan 2015, 7:22 pm

GLove39 wrote:Is it possible for Edinburgh to get a home QF?

BP win guarantees it I think.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 23 Jan 2015, 7:32 pm

justified sinner wrote:
GLove39 wrote:Is it possible for Edinburgh to get a home QF?

BP win guarantees it I think.

Fingers Crossed

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 23 Jan 2015, 7:34 pm

Anyone's link working yet?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 23 Jan 2015, 7:43 pm

Got one!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 23 Jan 2015, 7:46 pm

Me too. PM me if you want some.

If you know what I mean.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 23 Jan 2015, 7:46 pm

Could you share as the ones i've used before don't work

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 23 Jan 2015, 7:49 pm

Not putting nearly enough into rucks

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 23 Jan 2015, 7:49 pm

Hahaha, both teams criss crossing over as they come out on the wrong sides of the tunnel

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 23 Jan 2015, 7:51 pm

Dickinson dominating again!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 23 Jan 2015, 7:52 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Could you share as the ones i've used before don't work
Boom.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 23 Jan 2015, 7:58 pm

George Carlin wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Could you share as the ones i've used before don't work
Boom.

For some reason doesn't work for me, but thanks anyway

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 23 Jan 2015, 7:59 pm

We're getting no where playing one pass hit up stuff - need to change tactics

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 23 Jan 2015, 8:00 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:We're getting no where playing one pass hit up stuff - need to change tactics

How about an aimless up & under for a bit of variety?

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 23 Jan 2015, 8:00 pm

Yeah, they tried that!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 23 Jan 2015, 8:02 pm