The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everyone's Talking About Rafa

+9
LuvSports!
socal1976
It Must Be Love
DirectView2
kingraf
CAS
bogbrush
temporary21
hawkeye
13 posters

Go down

Everyone's Talking About Rafa Empty Everyone's Talking About Rafa

Post by hawkeye Wed 21 Jan 2015, 3:02 pm

The Australian Open site has a feature called the social leaderboard. By the magic of modern science it records the players that people are talking about on twitter. Not surprisingly everyone is (as usual king ) talking about Rafa...

These are the 5 most talked about players so far.

1) Nadal 390,971 tweets

2) Federer 133,133 tweets

3) Sharapova 107,837 tweets

4) Djokovic 96,178 tweets

5) Ivanovic 66,501 tweets

http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/social/leaderboard/index.html?promo=rail

Note - This is the total for the tournament and it is constantly updated so the figures will change. The leaderboard also has daily totals. Not surprisingly after today  Erm Nadal tops this list too.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Everyone's Talking About Rafa Empty Re: Everyone's Talking About Rafa

Post by temporary21 Wed 21 Jan 2015, 3:08 pm

I saw that, Marias "sentiment" meter was pretty low, it was more bad than good. Ive been going off social media lately though, far too man people saying disgusting things at eachother and then deleting it.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jan 2015, 3:08 pm

It's not talking is it?

It's just typing 150 characters.

Almost like writing your address on the back of napkin!

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 21 Jan 2015, 3:15 pm

So a huge proportion of people who tap inanely into a micro-attention span medium are really attached to Rafa.

I'm sure he would be graceful and thank them for their attention.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Wed 21 Jan 2015, 4:05 pm

14x slam champion is 2 sets to 1 down vs the World 112 is it really a surprise he's been tweeted about? Heard he was sick on court too!
Plus been out of the game for a while etc, more eyes on him. Its a shame he's also got the most negative tweets by the looks of things too

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 21 Jan 2015, 5:27 pm

This thread (is it a yearly thing now HE) is really only useful in showing that a rather outdated view of social media persists. It's the proverbial dog whistle I suppose. Those who hear it hear it, those who don't, don't. Nothing is going to change either way
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Wed 21 Jan 2015, 7:05 pm

People generally talk about Drama queens, so no wonder Rafa and Sharapova leads the table respectively.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 21 Jan 2015, 7:49 pm

Isnt Federer third? Did he really make that much of a drama over his finger? Didnt sound like he did

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 21 Jan 2015, 7:52 pm

Yeah, that's not how twitter works. No suprise Nadal had the most, he was in the longest match. No suprise Federer is second. He has the second largest digital footprint of any tennis player. No idea how Ivanovic rounds out the top five, but she's damn pretty, so it makes sense people watched her, and then mentioned how hot she is.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jan 2015, 7:54 pm

Well, you know, adolescent fan girls don't have anything better to do other than spend all day tweeting about Rafa's shorts and shirts.

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Wed 21 Jan 2015, 7:55 pm

emancipator wrote:Well, you know, adolescent fan girls don't have anything better to do than spend all day tweeting about Rafa's shorts and shirts.
Nadal's fan make up is larger than the narrow minded stereotypes in your mind... do you ever go to matches and sit with Nadal fans- or even see who's turned up to his training sessions ?

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jan 2015, 7:58 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
emancipator wrote:Well, you know, adolescent fan girls don't have anything better to do than spend all day tweeting about Rafa's shorts and shirts.
Nadal's fan make up is larger than the narrow minded stereotypes in your mind... do you ever go to matches and sit with Nadal fans- or even see who's turned up to his training sessions ?

Actually no I don't.. I leave that weird stuff for.. well you know Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Wed 21 Jan 2015, 8:00 pm

emancipator wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:

Actually no I don't.. I leave that weird stuff for.. well you know Very Happy
Maybe if you actually did some research and based your opinions on some evidence rather than narrow minded stereotypes; you would be able to come up with more sensible posts

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 21 Jan 2015, 8:00 pm

So how do you explain Federer at two... Unless he has middle aged fan boys who have nothing better do than spend all day tweeting about his bee sting?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 21 Jan 2015, 8:02 pm

Leave the fangirls alone, they earn a lot o money for the ATP. Also why is being a girl considered some sort of slant here?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Jan 2015, 8:05 pm

kingraf wrote:So how do you explain Federer at two... Unless he has middle aged fan boys who have nothing better do than spend all day tweeting about his bee sting?

Yeah good explanation.

Of course there are probably far more adolescent fan girls with nothing better to do on twitter than middle aged fan boys.

Wow, between us we've managed to explain the numbers. Sadly, I don't think HE was hoping for this kind of explanation. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 21 Jan 2015, 8:47 pm

CAS wrote:14x slam champion is 2 sets to 1 down vs the World 112 is it really a surprise he's been tweeted about? Heard he was sick on court too!
Plus been out of the game for a while etc, more eyes on him. Its a shame he's also got the most negative tweets by the looks of things too

Actually Nadal "only" had 133,536 tweets today. His overall total of 419,333 tweets shows that it wasn't just his Erm dramatic match today that have got people talking. As far as positive tweets go 76% of 419,333 tweets is rather a lot Smile Having just read some of the comments on the "Fedal" match call thread go I can make a good guess where the 24% of negative tweets come from. Just the usual grinding of teeth from a certain section that he managed to win today. If Nadal manages to progress further in the tournament I expect the negative tweets to increase. But I also imagine the positive ones will do too.

nb The totals are constantly updated and I have used the very latest figures.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 22 Jan 2015, 5:36 am

Does anyone care who gets the most tweets.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 22 Jan 2015, 7:27 am

Charades! 1 word. 2 syllables. 1 syllable. Sounds like "squawk"... ok 2nd syllable then.... sounds like "pie."

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 22 Jan 2015, 7:29 am

socal1976 wrote:Does anyone care who gets the most tweets.

I bet Djokovic does Wink I can imagine him nervously checking the AO social leaderboard site several times a day... and then smashing a few racquets in despair Whistle

Andy Murray is also apparently green with envy as he has been adding to the twitter numbers with his own whiny "look at me not Rafa" tweet Erm

NOT everyone was impressed by Rafael Nadal’s inspiring Australian Open performance last night.

Just ask Andy Murray.

Nadal battled illness and cramp as he came back from the brink to defeat America’s Tim Smyczek in five sets.

Murray, a comfortable straight sets winner over Australia’s Marinko Matosevic yesterday, took to Twitter this morning to play down Nadal’s performance — or at least to complain about the different coverage the Spaniard has received in the press compared to when he also battled cramp to win at the US Open last year.

Have a cry, mate...

This is the "tweet" in question

When I cramped and won in the us open last year I was a "drama Queen, unfit, needs to see a shrink, faker" weird...

http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/australian-open-day-four-at-melbourne-park/story-fndkzym4-1227193186191

Laugh

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Thu 22 Jan 2015, 8:04 am

Not sure how you are interpreting that tweet as an attack on Rafa. Its clearly aimed at slightly unbalanced individuals who constantly criticise Murray whilst praising Rafa in similar circumstances. I can understand why you may have paid it special interest.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Thu 22 Jan 2015, 9:20 am

Born Slippy wrote:Not sure how you are interpreting that tweet as an attack on Rafa. Its clearly aimed at slightly unbalanced individuals who constantly criticise Murray whilst praising Rafa in similar circumstances. I can understand why you may have paid it special interest.
Check.....
Mate.....

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 22 Jan 2015, 11:56 am

Yeah, probably not an "attack"... But still, nothing makes you look like a drama queen more than questioning why you're the only one who gets called a drama queen.
So dramatic
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Thu 22 Jan 2015, 1:40 pm

I'm not sure many care about the tweets, socal. Too hard to draw any kind of meaningful conclusion from the data either way, too many variables, etc.

Born Slippy wrote:Not sure how you are interpreting that tweet as an attack on Rafa. Its clearly aimed at slightly unbalanced individuals who constantly criticise Murray whilst praising Rafa in similar circumstances. I can understand why you may have paid it special interest.

clap

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Jan 2015, 3:12 pm

Rafa Nadal @RafaelNadal
Heading back home. See you soon #australianopen and Melbourne. Thanks to @crowntowers for their attention these weeks pic.twitter.com/lytfFHxm7M
3:36 am - 28 Jan 2015

Your attention has not gone un-noticed HE Ok!

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 28 Jan 2015, 8:40 pm

emancipator wrote:Well, you know, adolescent fan girls don't have anything better to do other than spend all day tweeting about Rafa's shorts and shirts.

Laugh

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 28 Jan 2015, 8:42 pm

hawkeye wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Does anyone care who gets the most tweets.

I bet Djokovic does Wink I can imagine him nervously checking the AO social leaderboard site several times a day... and then smashing a few racquets in despair Whistle

Andy Murray is also apparently green with envy as he has been adding to the twitter numbers with his own whiny "look at me not Rafa" tweet Erm

Laugh Laugh

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down