The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach

+37
doctornickolas
bedfordwelsh
GavinDragon
Blueschief
LordDowlais
TBJ9625
munkian
Don Blues
Stone Motif
PhilBB
Fanster
Chunky Norwich
PenfroPete
Welshmushroom
dragon4life
tatterd
XR
Jhamer25
formerly known as Sam
Welly
RDW
Notch
VinceWLB
Comfort
SecretFly
George Carlin
Liam
wayne
Luckless Pedestrian
glamorganalun
Steffan
rumpelstiltskindoh
ScarletSpiderman
LondonTiger
The Saint
Hound of Harrow
wales606
41 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach - Page 10 Empty Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach

Post by wales606 Sun 01 Feb 2015, 5:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

Prop
Gethin Jenkins, Taufa'ao Filise, Craig Mitchell, Sam Hobbs, Scott Andrews, Thomas Davies, Dillon Lewis

Hooker
Matthew Rees, Kristian Dacey, Rhys Williams, Ethan Lewis

2nd Row
Jarrad Hoeata, James Down, Lou Reed, Chris Dicomidis, Miles Normandale

Flanker
Sam Warburton, Josh Turnbull, Macauley Cook, Ellis Jenkins, Josh Navidi, Jevon Groves, Ben Roach

Eight
Manoa Vosawai

Scrum half
Tavis Knoyle, Lloyd Williams, Lewis Jones, Tomos Williams

Fly half
Rhys Patchell, Gareth Anscombe, Gareth Davies, Jarrod Evans, Will Thomas

Centre
Cory Allen, Gavin Evans, Richard Smith, Tom Pascoe, Adam Thomas, Garyn Smith, Ray Lee-Lo

Wing
Alex Cuthbert, Harry Davies, Owen Jenkins, Chris Knight, Tom Williams, Tom James

Full back
Blaine Scully, Dan Fish, Geraint Walsh, Aled Summerhill

Last edited by wales606 on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 10:16 pm; edited 6 times in total
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach - Page 10 Empty Re: Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 31 May 2015, 8:10 pm

LordDowlais wrote:All the talk that I have heard is that Patchell is going to end up at Scarlets when his contract is up, and who can blame him they way he is being treated to try and shoe horn in a substandard Kiwi come Welshman who has been given a DC.

I have watched both the final playoffs between Bristol and Worcester and in the first game in particular Nipper was the cause of the loss. His defending was non existant and players were just running through him, when Nicky Robinson came on Bristol looked a lot better. Yes Matthew Morgan is a delight to watch with the ball in hand, but when he has not got the ball he is a liability. For me Matthew Morgan is a luxury player, a nice player to bring on if you want a bonus point or something, unless he bulks up a bit, he will be nothing more than a good club player, to go that extra step, he needs to work very hard on his weaknesses.

Twas good with Ben Blair taking the place kicks. Alas...

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach - Page 10 Empty Re: Cardiff Blues Season Thread 3 - Danny Wilson Appointed Head Coach

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 31 May 2015, 8:18 pm

Coleman wrote:Wales Onlines says we're monitoring the Matthew Morgan situation. 

They could be "monitoring" any number of players though from all over.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 31 May 2015, 8:37 pm

wales606 wrote:

Patchell will be off apparently.

Is there any proof that he is going to leave? And when? Would be bonkers to let him go. Not so sure he would want to leave in any case and with a new head coach coming in, things will change.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 31 May 2015, 8:44 pm

Coleman wrote:I agree Morgan is a luxury. I'd be very disapointed if we are losing Patchell. He's not had a fair crack at the whip so i can see why he'd like to leave. I just think we have more pressing concerns than flyhalf. Also if we have all of these young developing flyhalfs we need someone to help develop them. Shame Steven Jones is off to the Scarlets.

No it isn't. He's a Terk who's going home to where he belongs.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Mon 01 Jun 2015, 9:18 am

Yes. But he'd be ideal. Maybe he'll get to work with Patchell after the next season.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 01 Jun 2015, 6:57 pm

Coleman wrote:Yes. But he'd be ideal. Maybe he'll get to work with Patchell after the next season.

Here's a crazy idea. Why not let the new coach (whoever he maybe) decide who to bring to the fold?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 02 Jun 2015, 12:25 pm

Well I have just had an interesting conversation, with all this new upgrade for Cardiff Arms park, now that Roger Lewis has announced that he is going to be building hotels and flats around the area apparently the price Cardiff Blues have to pay for the ground is going to go up, and I mean up. There was talk of Blues buying the place off the athletic club, but now that deal has been shelved as it looks as though the price is going to go up because of all the extra work going on around it.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 02 Jun 2015, 12:29 pm

Roger Lewis isn't going to be building anything - except maybe a new first-class departures lounge at Cardiff airport, at the expense of runway maintenance.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 02 Jun 2015, 12:34 pm

Coleman wrote:Yes. But he'd be ideal. Maybe he'll get to work with Patchell after the next season.

Ah well I am sure a one season delay won't harm Patch's development too much Run
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 02 Jun 2015, 9:10 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Well I have just had an interesting conversation, with all this new upgrade for Cardiff Arms park, now that Roger Lewis has announced that he is going to be building hotels and flats around the area apparently the price Cardiff Blues have to pay for the ground is going to go up, and I mean up. There was talk of Blues buying the place off the athletic club, but now that deal has been shelved as it looks as though the price is going to go up because of all the extra work going on around it.

Doesn't surprise me and i'm reminded of a CAC AGM I attended some years ago during which, amongst other stuff, the real/actual value of CAP was the big question. IIRC, info was requested by CAC. Not sure whether they got it or not though.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 02 Jun 2015, 9:11 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Roger Lewis isn't going to be building anything - except maybe a new first-class departures lounge at Cardiff airport, at the expense of runway maintenance.

Very Happy

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 03 Jun 2015, 6:26 pm

Cardiff Blues: Bristol's Danny Wilson first choice for head coach

Bristol forwards coach Danny Wilson is Cardiff Blues' preferred choice for their vacant head coach's position, BBC Wales Sport understands.

Wilson, who has previously worked with Scarlets, Dragons and Wales Under-20s, heads a five-man shortlist.

The role was by vacated by Mark Hammett just six months into a three-year deal.

Hammett did not have his own coaching team but Blues say his successor will have control over his staff.

"It's important to stress the board have made a commitment that all rugby-related decisions have to be the decision of the head coach," said Blues chief executive Richard Holland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/32989282

Hooray!

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed 03 Jun 2015, 7:52 pm

Very good news. He was the choice that i would have liked. Now, time to let him rebuild the squad from the ground up.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 03 Jun 2015, 9:39 pm

Coleman wrote:Very good news. He was the choice that i would have liked. Now, time to let him rebuild the squad from the ground up.

Maybe. Maybe not. Pieman still in charge and he has form. Not convinced in other words. Also the CCS disaster will never go away.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 03 Jun 2015, 10:23 pm

He's got to be allowed to get on with it and feel he has complete backing of the board something I fell Hammett didn't get.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Thu 04 Jun 2015, 5:19 pm

Wilson looks like a decent signing for The Blues. That man did wonders to the Scarlets scrum and set piece play. I expect them to be noticeably stronger next season.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 04 Jun 2015, 10:00 pm

I bet the WRU would love Wilson back as the U20s coach too. Much better form under him.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 06 Jun 2015, 10:36 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:He's got to be allowed to get on with it and feel he has complete backing of the board something I fell Hammett didn't get.

I'm not even sure the chief exec is "allowed to get on with it".

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 07 Jun 2015, 10:58 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:He's got to be allowed to get on with it and feel he has complete backing of the board something I fell Hammett didn't get.

Holland has stated several times now that the new coach must be given full autonomy over all rugby related issues, including backroom staff. Very encouraging at least.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 07 Jun 2015, 11:01 am

VinceWLB wrote:Wilson looks like a decent signing for The Blues. That man did wonders to the Scarlets scrum and set piece play. I expect them to be noticeably stronger next season.

Yep. He really helped the Scarlets set-piece and his work with the U20s showed that he can really make an impact in a short space of time. The U20s defence while he was in charge was incredible (although he might well have had assistance from Shaun Edwards).

I really think Wilson is the best option at the moment. He may not have head coach experience, but he has a proven track record, is well respected and knows Welsh rugby very well. He also has shown that he is willing to take risks on young players, which is what we need.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 07 Jun 2015, 9:51 pm

wales606 wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Holland has stated several times now that the new coach must be given full autonomy over all rugby related issues, including backroom staff. Very encouraging at least.

Must or will?
Anyway 606, you know what I mean. Old habits and all that plus the CCS debacle and other stuff. Not convinced at all in other words. Gonna have to take a look at myself, I think, au naturel. Won't be pretty.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Jun 2015, 1:19 pm

Looks like Danny Wilson has been given the role, good news for the Blues

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 11 Jun 2015, 1:58 pm

IronMike wrote:Looks like Danny Wilson has been given the role, good news for the Blues

Great news Smile
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 11 Jun 2015, 1:59 pm

He has been given a 3 year contract, which shows the board must have some trust in him.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Thu 11 Jun 2015, 2:03 pm

Great. Now time to get to work. You'd hope that he has known for some time so he could draw up a shopping list and contact people to work with. I hope he gives Hammer a phone call as well to get both sides of what happend there.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 11 Jun 2015, 2:21 pm

Coleman wrote:Great. Now time to get to work. You'd hope that he has known for some time so he could draw up a shopping list and contact people to work with. I hope he gives Hammer a phone call as well to get both sides of what happend there.

I'm sure he has,

Leicester defence coach is rumoured to be coming, he would be fantastic
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 11 Jun 2015, 2:51 pm

I hope the board back him now because it doesn't seem they did with Hammett, what does this mean for McIntosh and John now any idea?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Thu 11 Jun 2015, 2:53 pm

Phil Blake? He would be ideal. The Tigers defense was very good last season if you ignore the couple of thumpings Bath gave them. I think they're mad to let him go. I'd love for Ian Evans to come as well but he may be out of our price range. We've got a tough few years ahead but lets hope this is the change that gets us on track now.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 11 Jun 2015, 2:59 pm

Evans would be a good capture and if he still has any Welsh ambitions left, likewise M Morgan then I think they have to move from Bristol
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Thu 11 Jun 2015, 3:07 pm

Not sure about Morgan. I worry that he is a bit of a glass cannon. Also, we have two young flyhalfs so unless he is willing to move to fullback and be the Blues Gio Aplon i don't see him getting in the squad.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 11 Jun 2015, 3:15 pm

Would Gavin Henson be seen in a Blues shirt again?! He would be an ideal 12 for your team right now I reckon...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 11 Jun 2015, 3:30 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I hope the board back him now because it doesn't seem they did with Hammett, what does this mean for McIntosh and John now any idea?

Sean Holley as backs coach instead of Paul John? Run

Seriously though, Danny Wilson should be a good move for the Blues. I know he will be head coach, but he should sort out their scrum, and if he is given free rein over selection of his back room staff then it will be interesting to see who he does bring in.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 11 Jun 2015, 3:33 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:I hope the board back him now because it doesn't seem they did with Hammett, what does this mean for McIntosh and John now any idea?

Sean Holley as backs coach instead of Paul John? Run

Seriously though, Danny Wilson should be a good move for the Blues.  I know he will be head coach, but he should sort out their scrum, and if he is given free rein over selection of his back room staff then it will be interesting to see who he does bring in.

thumbsup I heard it's Rob Howley and Robin McBryde on the backroom staff...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 11 Jun 2015, 6:13 pm

The Saint wrote:Would Gavin Henson be seen in a Blues shirt again?! He would be an ideal 12 for your team right now I reckon...

No chance, don't want him or need him.

We have Lee-Lo arriving next season who is rated very highly and hopefully will form a good partnership with Allen when he is fit again.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 11 Jun 2015, 6:15 pm

Coleman wrote:Phil Blake? He would be ideal. The Tigers defense was very good last season if you ignore the couple of thumpings Bath gave them. I think they're mad to let him go. I'd love for Ian Evans to come as well but he may be out of our price range. We've got a tough few years ahead but lets hope this is the change that gets us on track now.

Ian Evans probably isn't out of our price range, assuming Bristol are willing to let him go and Wilson thinks we need him. We were trying to get Snyman, but that has fallen through so we need a new second row.

I hope we get Morgan and Evans, I think they would both be improvements on what we have now (assuming Morgan plays 15 in the absence of Tuculet)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 11 Jun 2015, 6:20 pm

Apparently Wilson has worked with a lot of the Blues players back when he was working with the academy and from his time with the U20s, he is widely respected and people seem to think he will be able to implement the changes Hammett failed to do.

Rumours of a few more announcements in the next few days,

Cam Dolan is due to sign from Saints. Apparently is being looked at as a second row/eight. Not very experience, but supposed to have a lot of talent.

New backroom staff due to be announced,

and interestingly, may be an announcement that Cuthbert has re-signed
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 11 Jun 2015, 7:42 pm

wales606 wrote:
The Saint wrote:Would Gavin Henson be seen in a Blues shirt again?! He would be an ideal 12 for your team right now I reckon...

We have Lee-Lo arriving next season who is rated very highly and hopefully will form a good partnership with Allen when he is fit again.

If he was willing to come then I doubt Wilson would be as daft as you, knowing that all he's got is two erratic 10s, a league convert and Gavin Evans... Allen is constantly injured.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 11 Jun 2015, 9:23 pm

The Saint wrote:
wales606 wrote:

If he was willing to come then I doubt Wilson would be as daft as you, knowing that all he's got is two erratic 10s, a league convert and Gavin Evans... Allen is constantly injured.

What league convert?

I was all for Henson joining last time, but he didn't show anything and ended up getting sacked due to irresponsible behaviour. He is not 3 years older and playing at a lower level.

Why on earth would we want him back?

Also, who is the rugby league convert?

I also don't think you can call Anscombe 'erratic' and Patchell is no more erract than say, Preistland. When was the last time Henson played 10 for anyone? When was the last time Henson wasn't 'erratic' playing 10?

I would take Matthew Morgan over Henson any day of the week.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Thu 11 Jun 2015, 10:07 pm

I'd only take Morgan as a wing/fullback. Wilson was the U20's coach when Ellis Jenkins was captain. Could well be our captain next season. In regards to Cam Dolan i'd rarher not be converting playing in to a position we are really struggling in. We need one or two solid second rows to compliment Hoeata who i've not given up on yet.

Ideally we need:
Tighthead: Francis? I heard he wants to stay at Exe.
Lock: Ian Evans. Snyman (Not likely). 
Center: Lee-Lo, Allen and Smith arent enough.
Fullback. No more Fish, please.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 11 Jun 2015, 11:34 pm

Coleman wrote:I'd only take Morgan as a wing/fullback. Wilson was the U20's coach when Ellis Jenkins was captain. Could well be our captain next season. In regards to Cam Dolan i'd rarher not be converting playing in to a position we are really struggling in. We need one or two solid second rows to compliment Hoeata who i've not given up on yet.

Ideally we need:

By the sounds of it we won't be signing much more, although next year may be different and we might bring players in during the season (ala Tuculet and Amorisino). Snyman is a definite no now apparently
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 12 Jun 2015, 7:07 am

I can accept if we don't sign any more players. So long as we release the dross in the squad and use academy players in their place.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 12 Jun 2015, 7:17 am

I can accept if we don't sign any more players. So long as we release the dross in the squad and use academy players in their place.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 12 Jun 2015, 8:47 am

Coleman wrote:I'd only take Morgan as a wing/fullback. Wilson was the U20's coach when Ellis Jenkins was captain. Could well be our captain next season. In regards to Cam Dolan i'd rarher not be converting playing in to a position we are really struggling in. We need one or two solid second rows to compliment Hoeata who i've not given up on yet.

Ideally we need:

Announced he is going to Brive.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 12 Jun 2015, 8:57 am

Sports News on BBC Wales said this morning that Wilson will announce a "Fresh coaching team next week". Should we take that to mean Chief and John are on the way out?

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 12 Jun 2015, 9:12 am

Where would they go, given Ponty hate anything and everything that has been touched by the Blues it would be very hypocritical of them to welcome them home.

Well when I mean touched by the Blues that doesn't include the Blues players loaned to them when needed Run
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 12 Jun 2015, 9:44 am

Ideally we need:
Coleman, it would be really good for Welsh International Rugby if Francis could be enticed to the Blues, even though Lee had the main attributes already, Wilson brought them through very quickly, if he could work with Francis it would be good for the Blues and Wales

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 12 Jun 2015, 11:04 am

wales606 wrote:
The Saint wrote:
wales606 wrote:

What league convert?

I was all for Henson joining last time, but he didn't show anything and ended up getting sacked due to irresponsible behaviour. He is not 3 years older and playing at a lower level.

Why on earth would we want him back?

Also, who is the rugby league convert?

I also don't think you can call Anscombe 'erratic' and Patchell is no more erract than say, Preistland. When was the last time Henson played 10 for anyone? When was the last time Henson wasn't 'erratic' playing 10?

I would take Matthew Morgan over Henson any day of the week.

Is Lee-Lo a league convert? If not I must be thinking of somebody else...

Can you honestly say Gavin Henson was given a fair crack though? He wasn't because B&B didn't have a clue how to run the squad. I remember him having a few games at 15 (not his best position) where he did alright. Then he threw an ice cube and Laurel n Hardy decided to sack him. I wouldn't call that irresponsible behaviour from Gavin, more like amateur behaviour from the coaching staff, etc. Lualala said this at the time too, before deleting the tweet. I didn't bank on Henson playing 10 for you, more like 12 to help your two erratic 10s. A bit like Twelvetrees carries Hook at Gloucester. Morgan would be a good signing for you too though.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 12 Jun 2015, 11:08 am

Dale McIntosh has joined the Merthyr revolution apparently.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 12 Jun 2015, 11:57 am

LordDowlais wrote:Dale McIntosh has joined the Merthyr revolution apparently.

Interesting. Not that surprising though as I can't imagine him staying at the Blues and I guess Ponty don't want him back.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 12 Jun 2015, 6:13 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Where would they go, given Ponty hate anything and everything that has been touched by the Blues it would be very hypocritical of them to welcome them home.  

Well when I mean touched by the Blues that doesn't include the Blues players loaned to them when needed Run

Interestingly, Paul John (born and bred Ponty) played for Cardiff before joining proper Ponty.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next