The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Benetton Treviso v Edinburgh Rugby 7th March

+14
justified sinner
R!skysports
JonnyEdinburgh
Nematode
Scottish White Line Fever
des
VinceWLB
cakeordeath
Weegie Wizard
Anglobraveheart
tigertattie
funnyExiledScot
RDW
EWT Spoons
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Benetton Treviso v Edinburgh Rugby 7th March - Page 2 Empty Benetton Treviso v Edinburgh Rugby 7th March

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 03 Mar 2015, 8:54 am

First topic message reminder :

Benetton Treviso v Edinburgh Rugby 7th March - Page 2 Trevis10                         Benetton Treviso v Edinburgh Rugby 7th March - Page 2 Edinbu11
Benetton Treviso   v   Edinburgh Rugby
Saturday 7th March 2015
KO: 7pm local time (6pm UK & Ireland).
Stadio Monigo

TV - Alba & Nuvolari
Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU, 120th competition game)Benetton Treviso v Edinburgh Rugby 7th March - Page 2 Acigar10
Assistant Referees: Guiseppe Vivarini, Claudio Blessano (both FIR)
Citing Commissioner: Stefano Marrama (FIR)
TMO: Carlo Damasco (FIR)

Last 3 Matches - Treviso      

1/3/15      Connacht 53 - 5 Treviso
20/2/15    Treviso 40 - 24 Blues
13/2/15     Ulster        43 - 3 Treviso

Last 3 Matches - Edinburgh

1/3/15     Blues        21 - 15 Edinburgh
20/2/15   Edinburgh 17 - 20 Ulster
13/2/15   Edinburgh 24 - 16 Ospreys

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Benetton Treviso v Edinburgh Rugby 7th March - Page 2 Empty Re: Benetton Treviso v Edinburgh Rugby 7th March

Post by BigGee Sat 07 Mar 2015, 6:41 pm

Good decision to go for the points

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Benetton Treviso v Edinburgh Rugby 7th March - Page 2 Empty Re: Benetton Treviso v Edinburgh Rugby 7th March

Post by BigGee Sat 07 Mar 2015, 6:42 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:When Denton plays forward in the defensive line like tonight rather than dropping back as hes became known for, hes a bloody good defensive player. Hes got a great work rate at the breakdown, and that turnover he won earlier on was just one of many hes been winning this season. I still think hes a 6 with 8 on his back, hes certainly playing like one tonight.

He has got to be a shoe in for next week now, Beattie rubbish and Ashe injured, got to play!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Sat 07 Mar 2015, 6:43 pm

It's a shame we didn't have SHC on the pitch for the Ulster match! The lineout has been a bit inconsistent but otherwise a good 1st half

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat 07 Mar 2015, 6:44 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Sammys kicking is outstanding

Unfortunately Rambos throwing isnt. Hopefully he still gets more chances in the future because hes too good a player to allow to fade into obscurity.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat 07 Mar 2015, 6:45 pm

Some bounce by Scotty!
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 07 Mar 2015, 6:47 pm

SHC has really come on as a player this, he just seems to have that air of confidence about him now. He really is putting his case. I think he should start, he has another gear that Laidlaw does not. He will keep an opposition back row honest.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat 07 Mar 2015, 6:50 pm

BigGee wrote:And another, Matt Scott has definitely looked a bit sharper today.

SHC, Toolis and Matt Scott all making their cases!

He looks a bit trimmer than he was earlier in the season.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Sat 07 Mar 2015, 6:52 pm

BigGee wrote:SHC has really come on as a player this, he just seems to have that air of confidence about him now. He really is putting his case. I think he should start, he has another gear that Laidlaw does not. He will keep an opposition back row honest.

I agree, but I don't expect that VC will start with SHC instead of Laidlaw.

Scarlets are beating Leinster 20-13 with 7 minutes to go, so we really need to push on this half and try to pick up a bonus point.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:03 pm

Edinburgh started this half like they mean business, nice fluent play

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:08 pm

Who is co-commentating with Hugh Dan on Alba?

He's Seth Efrikan, but I don't recognize the voice.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:08 pm

George Carlin wrote:Who is co-commentating with Hugh Dan on Alba?

He's Seth Efrikan, but I don't recognize the voice.

Alan Dell

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:14 pm

Bresler's forearms really are thicker than my waist.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:15 pm

George Carlin wrote:Bresler's forearms really are thicker than my waist.

I wish I could say the same!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:23 pm

Does Denton ever venture into rucks? I mean, even accidentally?

He has been standing in the midfield for the past 4 phases.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:25 pm

Great try Edinburgh, McInally, Watson and Scott all did very well

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:25 pm

George Carlin wrote:Does Denton ever venture into rucks? I mean, even accidentally?

He seems to be standing wide in attack, but hes certainly playing tight in defence
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:26 pm

George Carlin wrote:Does Denton ever venture into rucks? I mean, even accidentally?

Edit: Double post
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:28 pm

The break by Watson was a beauty - the boy has got some gas.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:37 pm

Visser not exactly making his case to be picked for Scotland next week!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:40 pm

Great angle by Scott there, glad to have the BP secured now.

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:41 pm

Matt Scott (23)!
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:41 pm

Matt Scott has had a really good game, MOTM I would say. He really has looked back to his best. I don't think he will start next Saturday, but he will be ready if called upon. Nice to see him back to his best.

Well done Edinburgh on a bonus point win!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:44 pm

Scotty's a confidence player, and hes looked really short of it at times this season. Hopefully this game will have given him the boost he needs to get back into form.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:47 pm

Fife eventually making his case for the Scotland shirt!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:54 pm

That was a really good team performance. Scott and Watson were both excellent and will probably be in the mix next week. I agree that Scott won't start next week and given the form of Bennett and Dunbar, that's absolutely fair. But looking ahead further down the line, if he replicates his form from tonight then the pressure will be on Dunbar and Bennett to perform, which can only be a good thing for Scotland. Denton had a decent game as well, and should, if fit, be picked at 8 next weekend. SHC had another good game, and I would say his kicking is probably the equal of Laidlaw now or at least not far behind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat 07 Mar 2015, 7:58 pm

I still think Scotts best position is 12, because he seems to have time on the ball that few 12s have, even when in heavy traffic, but when hes at 13 in a fast game like tonight, he really does seem to have so much time and pace with ball in hand that its a given hes going to make 10+ metres if not a clean break every time he takes it in the wide channels.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 07 Mar 2015, 8:01 pm

The best thing about Edinburgh tonight were the basic - very good, calm defence and a solid set piece yet again. Never thought I would write that Edinburgh don't seem to miss Du Preez that much, but that really is a fact.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 07 Mar 2015, 8:01 pm

SHC, Toolis, Watson, Scott and Denton all gave a good account and made their cases. They will all be there or thereabouts next week.

Tonks had a solid game, kicked well and got the back line moving but did miss a few tackles. He will be on the bench as I imagine Horne will be out of contention.

Fife shaded Visser in the battle of the wingers, without being entirely convincing. On balance though he certainly had the better game, made a very good run at the end and did not get the ball stripped from him easily in the way that Viss did!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 07 Mar 2015, 8:08 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:I still think Scotts best position is 12, because he seems to have time on the ball that few 12s have, even when in heavy traffic, but when hes at 13 in a fast game like tonight, he really does seem to have so much time and pace with ball in hand that its a given hes going to make 10+ metres if not a clean break every time he takes it in the wide channels.

You would have to say that Strauss played pretty well today as well. Lead the line defensively, moved the ball well and took his try well. He probably had something to prove as well and he did.

Matt Scott can clearly play both channels in the centre, he showed tonight what he can do out a bit wider. He probably is a better 12 but it is not something I am hung up about. He is perfectly adaptable, as most great centres are and it is just good to see him back on something like his best form. He will probably not start on Saturday, but he is now ready to if needed!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat 07 Mar 2015, 8:09 pm

BigGee wrote:
You would have to say that Strauss played pretty well today as well. Lead the line defensively, moved the ball well and took his try well. He probably had something to prove as well and he did.

Indeed, he actually distributed quite well tonight. If he plays like that more often, ill be less hung up about seeing him on the team sheet.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sat 07 Mar 2015, 8:31 pm

BigGee wrote:You would have to say that Strauss played pretty well today as well.

And those doubted me...

Whistle Whistle Whistle

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 08 Mar 2015, 9:00 am

Great win for Edinburgh, but given we're only 4 points off 6th place it once again makes those games that we should have won even harder to take - we should really be 7 or 8 points clear just now!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sun 08 Mar 2015, 12:49 pm

Crucial win for Edinburgh with the bonus point. Treviso aren't the best side, but they're far better than Zebre and have some handy players in their backline.

Thought Bresler, Toolis, Watson, Denton, SHC, Tonks, Scott (MoM) and Fife had good games - Visser seems uninterested though. Almost seems like he just wants to move to Wasps now... Fife has to start on the wing IMO.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by JonnyEdinburgh Sun 08 Mar 2015, 3:32 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Great win for Edinburgh, but given we're only 4 points off 6th place it once again makes those games that we should have won even harder to take - we should really be 7 or 8 points clear just now!

Its frustrating yes but every side has these gripes. Any game that is close will leave teams saying 'what if'. Im sure there are many connacht fans thinking if they had just closed out the cardiff game on friday and the one against us in Jan they would be miles ahead now. Similarly, Scarlets let a 14 point half time lead against us slip to draw. Im sure both those sides have other games like that they regret. Basically, whoever gets 7th and 8th will be crying 'if only'.

If only I wasnt ugly, I would be handsome. Personally, (and probably because I feel a lot chirpier after that away bp win) I am looking at it more like I am grateful that those teams havent secured wins in their 'what if' games. We still have a chance if we perform going forward. To continue the analogy, right now I am just grateful that there are people even uglier than me :-)

JonnyEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 08 Mar 2015, 3:58 pm

You been on the happy pills??

That's the point though - good teams don't have many "what if' moments. We have had numerous, and some terrible performances against teams we should really have beaten.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by JonnyEdinburgh Sun 08 Mar 2015, 4:21 pm

Haha yep, I genuinely cant remember our last bp win away from home so suppose the impact of that is very similar to happy pills!

You are right there though. The higher up the table you go the higher the % of these close games are converted. I think all it shows is that the 3 of us (and possibly cardiff now they are pulling their finger out) are all very similar and have our own mini-league. Regardless of who gets 6th, they are going to have to push on in closing out those frustrating games otherwise next season will be a bloody long one trying to get the 6th spot again and have any impact on the champions cup. Just glad we havent tailed off that group yet, this time last year it was pretty much gone already after being ok at xmas

JonnyEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Sun 08 Mar 2015, 5:21 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:You been on the happy pills??

That's the point though - good teams don't have many "what if' moments. We have had numerous, and some terrible performances against teams we should really have beaten.

That's the point though RDW, we're not a good team yet, but improving. Shameless steal from the Embra forum to make my point.

2012/13 League 7 wins 0 draws, 36 pts. Total wins incl Europe - 7
2013/14 League 7 wins 0 draws, 38 pts. Total wins incl Europe - 10
2014/15 League 8 wins 1 draw, 39 pts. Total wins incl Europe - 13. 5 league games left, 1-3 Europe games left

We're not there yet, but moving in the right direction.

PS it's been more fun being an ST holder this year.

Last edited by justified sinner on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bloody phone)

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 08 Mar 2015, 5:25 pm

I hear what you're all saying, I just find these lost games massively frustrating knowing what position we'd been in if we weren't so inconsistent!

In terms of building the team trough you're all right in that we need to walk before we can run (Strauss is still working on it) and we're making progress.

Finally, the 1872 win is enough to make my season!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Sun 08 Mar 2015, 5:50 pm

How'd McInally go at hooker?

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 08 Mar 2015, 5:51 pm

Good in the loose, lineout a bit dodgy but don't think that was just his fault.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 09 Mar 2015, 11:08 am

Still early days for McInally, but other than Ford and Brown there's no-one really putting their hands up. MacArthur works hard, but is he big enough for international rugby? I'm not convinced, and it may well help McInally that he's training regularly with Nel and Dickinson, who are likely to be the WC starting props.

I'd probably take the gamble personally. He'd be clearly going as 3rd choice.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Mon 09 Mar 2015, 11:29 am

He needs time to develop IMO. He was ok in the loose I thought, and a far sight better than Hilterbrand, but his throwing was not quite there. I think he needs a bit more practice over the summer just throwing.

He's definitely not in line for a Scotland cap at hooker though, in fact he's got more chance getting capped at 8 right now. He's behind Ford, Brown, MacArthur, Cochrance, Hall, Lawson (you get the picture).

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Mon 09 Mar 2015, 11:31 am

Didn't see the ER twitter before posting...

Mcinally has been called up to train with the Scotland squad Headscratch

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 09 Mar 2015, 11:46 am

Nice work Nematode. Any chance you could pick me some lottery numbers? Wink

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Mon 09 Mar 2015, 11:55 am

I give up... Benetton Treviso v Edinburgh Rugby 7th March - Page 2 Giphy

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 09 Mar 2015, 12:50 pm

Great win from Edinburgh

Keep it going and you never know might sneak a place in the top 6.

Scott - (12.5)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 09 Mar 2015, 2:00 pm

Riskysports wrote:Scott - (12.5)

He's still a 12, he just wanted to show the Weedge that were he to play out of position at 13, despite having Strauss at 12, he'd still be better than the Messiah.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 09 Mar 2015, 2:03 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

He's still a 12, he just wanted to show the Weedge that were he to play out of position at 13, despite having Strauss at 12, he'd still be better than the Messiah.....

Whoe there - not quite sure he is that good.....

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 09 Mar 2015, 2:11 pm

Riskysports wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Whoe there - not quite sure he is that good.....

I just say such controversial things in the hope that ASBO returns to point me right. I miss the old boy Crying or Very sad

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2