The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash

+95
cb
Exiledinborders
Rory_Gallagher
Heaf
The Saint
stub
Cumbrian
broadlandboy
JDizzle
doctor_grey
FecklessRogue
Biltong
Nachos Jones_1
jbeadlesbigrighthand
whocares
profitius
Doddy76
RDSguru
kingelderfield
nathan
HammerofThunor
Mike Selig
TheRugbyMaster
justified sinner
Hood83
Breadvan
Duty281
quinsforever
Imperialbigdave
Hammersmith harrier
Geordie
hugehandoff
Notch
Poorfour
Totalflanker
Nachos Jones
CraigS1874
Captain_Sensible
Chjw131
reallybored
EWT Spoons
Sgt_Pooly
beshocked
dummy_half
bedfordwelsh
sensisball
Gooseberry
tigertattie
sirtidychris
thomh
No 7&1/2
Jimpy
George Carlin
Gwlad
englandglory4ever
cakeordeath
nickj
TrailApe
alive555
bsando
21st Century Schizoid Man
Barney McGrew did it
Anglobraveheart
Heuer27
captain carrantuohil
Scottish White Line Fever
TheMildlyFranticLlama
robbo277
Weegie Wizard
SneakySideStep
LondonTiger
R!skysports
Cyril
Tattie Scones RRN
funnyExiledScot
MacKnocked-on
luvtotup
Nematode
BamBam
Majestic83
cp10
RuggerRadge2611
IrnBroon
glamorganalun
SecretFly
yappysnap
lostinwales
BigGee
RDW
majesticimperialman
TJ
jimbopip
Rugby Fan
GLove39
99 posters

Page 18 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18

Go down

6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash - Page 18 Empty 6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash

Post by GLove39 Sun 08 Mar 2015, 3:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash - Page 18 Englan14    6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash - Page 18 Scotla13
ENGLAND v SCOTLAND  
Saturday 14 February 2015
KO 17:00 (GMT)
Twickers

Live on BBC1

Referee: Romain Poitey (FFR)
AR1: George Clancy (IRFU)   vomit
AR2: Marius Mitrea (FIR)
TMO: Ben Skeen (NZR)

Teams:

ENGLAND
6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash - Page 18 Alasta10
M Brown (Harlequins); A Watson (Bath), J Joseph (Bath), L Burrell (Northampton), J Nowell (Exeter); G Ford (Bath), B Youngs (Leicester); J Marler (Harlequins), D Hartley (Northampton), D Cole (Leicester), D Attwood (Bath), C Lawes (Northampton), J Haskell (Wasps), C Robshaw (Harlequins, capt), B Vunipola (Saracens).

Replacements: T Youngs (Leicester), M Vunipola (Saracens), K Brookes (Newcastle), G Parling (Leicester), T Wood (Northampton), R Wigglesworth (Saracens), D Cipriani (Sale), B Twelvetrees (Gloucester).

SCOTLAND
6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash - Page 18 Tucker12
Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors); Dougie Fife (Edinburgh), Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors), Matt Scott (Edinburgh), Tommy Seymour, Finn Russell (both Glasgow Warriors), Greig Laidlaw (captn) (Gloucester); Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh), Ross Ford (Edinburgh), Euan Murray (Glasgow Warriors), Jim Hamilton (Saracens), Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors), Robert Harley (Glasgow Warriors), Blair Cowan (London Irish) David Denton (Edinburgh).

Replacements: Fraser Brown, Ryan Grant (both Glasgow Warriors), Geoff Cross (London Irish), Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors), Johnnie Beattie (Montpellier), Adam Ashe (Glasgow Warriors), Sam Hidalgo-Clyne and Greig Tonks (both Edinburgh)

The result of the Ireland game beforehand could make things very interesting from an English perspective. Tournament could be blown wide open, & see England looking for a big score with an eye to next weekend & things coming down to points difference.

For us, there's nothing at stake bar pride & some melted Indian Rupees.

Twickenham was always going to be tough, but given how things have gone this tournament I'm absolutely dreading this match.
Our record down South is more embarrassing than Natalie Bennett on LBC! 32 long years since we last won at Twickenham and in the last half century we've managed just one other win in 1971. Stretch things back to the whole century and we can double our total with wins in 1926 & 1938!

Fear we'll see a similar game to England - Italy, valiant start by us & some swashbuckling stuff before ultimately being crushed in the final quarter. Although if we 'defend' the maul like we did against Italy the score will be worse.

On the bright side though, scoring any points would be an improvement on last years Calcutta Cup match... Braveheart

Preconditions people? Am I being too gloomy?

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash - Page 18 Empty Re: 6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash

Post by The Saint Mon 16 Mar 2015, 10:18 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:

And how many times have you done that in the last couple of years. kiss

You miss the point. And not very witty maj, but nowhere near as bad as your attempt at telling us Biggar drop-goals in every single match.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash - Page 18 Empty Re: 6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash

Post by Guest Mon 16 Mar 2015, 11:01 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
The Saint wrote:
stub wrote:
The Saint wrote:
stub wrote:
The Saint wrote:
Heaf wrote:Did anyone on here actually say Scotland raised their game for England?

I'm not sure, I haven't been paying attention to this thread. But it has been mentioned quite often on this forum in the past. And after the match when Lancaster was interviewed, it was mentioned how Scotland always raise their game for England... It just seems a bit arrogant to be having that in the psyche.

I see, I agree that does get said a bit. I do think the Scots really like to beat the English though (as the Welsh do) and why not?

I can't speak for them but the Welsh like to beat everyone. We've a good rugby rivalry with England though, but I wouldn't say it's the only game we look at during the calendar year.

Saint - I do have a recollection of visiting the in laws one year and the Stereophonics singing (on a 6 nations build up) " As long as we beat the English that's OK " or similar.. I know it's a special game in Wales to be honest. That's not to say the Welsh don't like to beat everyone - would agree with you there Hug

2005 - we were coming in off the back of a couple of very dark era's. I think 2005 set the foundation for where we are now. Back then we hadn't beaten England in years, and shortly before that they were world champions. Plus they were more English back then so of course, everyone loved to beat England Wink. I think now we'd rather see wins over NZ.....and Australia!

And how many times have you done that in the last couple of years. kiss

Spectacularly missing the point. Pretty standard for you though.

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 16 Mar 2015, 11:29 pm

quinsforever wrote:Doc - regarding are England better this year.

yes i honestlly think they are.

back three of brown, nowell and watson look really good
jj at 13 is a massive improvement and he owns the jersey barring injury
12 we still have huge issues, but manu, burgess, slade and devoto are pushing the quasi-incumbents of burrell, barrett and 36 (crazy how many 12s we have)

ford is a MASSIVE improvment on Farrell

youngs is playing better than he did last year, but not quite as well as Care did last year, although Care this year has been really inconsistent

Forwards gelling really well with some strong scrummagers available again (Cole and Corbs)

lineout has suffered with missing lawes, launchbury and wood (all our jumpers!), but attwood, parling and haskell have been good (for the most part). impact of lawes yesterday showed though.

morgan owned the 8 jersey and billy v seems to have seized his opportunity with gusto, but he still is missing that step and dangerous line that morgan always seems to pick.

so yes definitely better than last year. Ireland have had a year under schmidt so were always going to be a well drilled dangerous machine at home.

we thumped wales in MS.

have had 6 i think tries disallowed so far this 6Ns and squandered plenty of other opportunities, so we are creating chances by the bunch.

i think we are much better. although i wouldnt credit lancaaster particularly. i and many others had been clamouring for ford and joseph, but only injury got them into the side.
Quins,
Here is my conundrum:  I see what you see and I want to agree.  The first semi-rational part of my brain does see exactly what you see.  Improvement in depth, experience with key players, and a significant upgrade in the back three.  Even better are decent performances with a lot of injuries, which, when players return can only plus-up the team.  

Corbs and Cole will continue to improve as they continue their recoveries.  For Props it can take a while.  The lineouts have been passable now, will be better.  The back three is a developing unit, though the wings need a bit more under the pressure of high kicks.  England are almost in a selection standpoint of horses for courses.  

So, given that we seriously do appear to be better, why are we positioned for our one millionth consecutive second place finish in the Six Nations? Another typical English ‘good show’, brave in defeat, and all that?

That other semi-rational part of my brain says our young, exciting scrum halves are now not so young nor are they quite so exciting.  Indeed Ford is an attacking upgrade over Farrell and should stay at 10.  But, lordy mama, please make your kicks.  Centres, well, nuff said.  Burrell looks like a tired player and needs a seat.  JJ has started extremely well, but have we not said that bout other players before?  Looking great for today, maybe that is all we can ask.  My feeling is Lancaster will end up starting the RWC with Barrett at 12 and Farrell at 13, taking the kicks.  Not sure what happens if Tuilagi becomes healthy and in game shape.  

I can’t stand wordsmithing defeat.  Ireland were better and beat us.  And we didn’t come close to a Plan B.  And so the plan against Scotland was to run, run, run, and maybe hold on to the ball.  Only result from one game to the next was sub-par performances.  Smells almost like we have no real direction.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:49 am

I think you may need to take time away from England Doc. Far too pessimistic.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:54 am

Unless of course you had thought we were RWC contenders. Then your undue optimism has merely been treated with a dose of reality.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 17 Mar 2015, 1:04 am

Tbh, I think England are as good as anyone in the NH. But despite a few wins in November I don't think any of us are good enough to stand up to the big three in the World Cup knockout stages. I haven't seen anything in this Six Nations that will worry Steve Hansen.

England are creating chances by they bucketload but their conversion rate is appalling. Too many players with blinkers on missing the support player or failing to execute simple passes. They don't have a very long time to improve these basic things. These players have gone through their whole career without nailing these things down, I don't know if they're going to become clinical at finishing off line breaks by the World Cup. Against the teams who really know how to defend in knock-out rugby, they'll get a couple of those chances in a game. Maybe just one. And if they don't increase the number they convert they will probably lose.

My call; England win Six Nations on points difference, lose in the World Cup semi-final. Not a bad season all things considered.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 17 Mar 2015, 1:19 am

i think ireland win 6Ns on points difference, and England get to the RWC final (beating ireland in the semis) Smile

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 17 Mar 2015, 1:36 am

Hmm... I'm not sure which one I'd prefer if I was you (assuming England lose in the Final).
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 17 Mar 2015, 7:13 am

Notch wrote:
England are creating chances by they bucketload but their conversion rate is appalling. Too many players with blinkers on missing the support player or failing to execute simple passes.

Admittedly not the Tom Youngs break, that was just a poor pass, but in most other cases much of the blame actually lies with the support runners. For instance with the Burrell break, Watson stayed far too wide and needed to come closer. We have sen that a lot so far - and much of that is down to unfamiliarity. However we do indeed have limited time to build that understanding.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 17 Mar 2015, 7:29 am

What are they doing in training if they're not building that familiarity though LT?

And both those guys are pro players in their early 20's. So they've been playing this game for at least say 10 years. They've gone through academies, national academies, coaching schools, A leagues, 1st XV training and then EPS training, and they still don't know how to scan, look for a pass, make that pass or run closer to the passee so that it's easier?!

What the frak

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 17 Mar 2015, 9:23 am

Doctor Grey is just being realistic.

People say oh look how "exciting" England are with people who run,run and run! Doesn't matter if you can't do the basics. This England team seem to be quite poor at the those simple basics like a good kick chase, not dropping the ball and supporting their team mates in attack.

Where are the support lines that were so integral to England's good 6 nations last year?

People say how amazing Ford has been - he played well enough against Wales,Italy and Scotland but got well and truly outmuscled and outplayed by Sexton.

Joseph was basically a nonentity vs Ireland in attack.

It's not doom and gloom - England are creating quite a few opportunities but the finishing of these opportunities needs a lot of work. With a bit more clinical finishing England would have a far healthier points difference.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 17 Mar 2015, 9:33 am

LondonTiger wrote:Unless of course you had thought we were RWC contenders. Then your undue optimism has merely been treated with a dose of reality.
clearly my first mistake. I think I may have made that mistake in the past.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Tue 17 Mar 2015, 9:33 am

Obviously England haven’t improved since last year, how possibly could they have, with all the injuries, disruptions, new combinations, limited test experience – it’s a miracle to me that we could actually win this 6N. If anything it’s a bit of a sad reflection on the quality of the whole competition this year. The team that, at their best, are the best in the NH are Ireland. But the loss to Wales shows how slight that advantage is. Sorry, but the SH two won’t be losing too much sleep ahead of the RWC.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 17 Mar 2015, 9:50 am

barney mcgrew did it

England have 12 teams to pick from, 4 sides in the quarter finals of the ERCC, plenty of strength of depth - should be no excuses. England have the resources to be realistic world cup contenders and should be challenging the big three SH sides consistently.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 17 Mar 2015, 9:58 am

beshocked wrote:barney mcgrew did it

England have 12 teams to pick from, 4 sides in the quarter finals of the ERCC, plenty of strength of depth - should be no excuses. England have the resources to be realistic world cup contenders and should be challenging the big three SH sides consistently.

When have we ever consistently challenged NZ?

against SA we had a tiny window of dominance betwen 200 and 2006. Before and after that we have been whipping boys.

Australia are the only side we have ever had any sustained dominance over - and that is because really they are not a rugby super-power. What they have done is punch above their weight for a decent amount of time, but they lose so many guys to Aussie Rules and RL that Union is pretty much ignored over there.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 17 Mar 2015, 10:37 am

beshocked wrote:barney mcgrew did it

And so they are. Realistically, England are favourites to top their RWC pool and have a strong chance to make the final. And they are challenging the "big three" (though I would argue that Australia are clinging on to that epithet by their fingernails). They've not had many wins, but I can only think of two games - one of the SA tests on Lancaster's first tour, and the third test in NZ last summer - where the game has not been close and England have not had the opportunity to win it.

Narrow losses don't make trophies, and I share that frustration. But I'm also realistic about the progress that's been made despite the level of injury disruption. It's not as if the chances aren't being created. They are. There's a lack of accuracy in the opposition 22, and that is bound to happen when the players in question have only played together internationally a handful of times. The good news there is that England will gain comparatively more from their RWC preparation than teams who have been together longer.

The bigger worry is an approach to the breakdown that does not adapt well to certain referees. England have shown no signs of fixing that, and until they do they will always be vulnerable. Ireland suffer from it as well, albeit to a lesser extent.

Still: would you rather go back to the Flutey / Hape / Vainikolo / Farrell Snr era of Martin Johnson?
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Tue 17 Mar 2015, 11:15 am

On an unrelated note - just how fast is Watson? Watch his disallowed try in the first half. Hogg is travelling in the right direction but Watson still manages to fly past him. Unbelievable pace. He doesn't yet have that ability to go round a player in no space that Wade or Nowell do, but his straight line speed is ridiculous.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue 17 Mar 2015, 1:47 pm

England need to borrow (notice I said borrow) Alex King for a while pre-rwc.

All ( barring a certain 12) the Saints players have great ball handing skills, watch a Saints game and apart from size and pace, you would struggle to tell forwards and backs apart. This goes right down through the academy.

You rarely see them butcher a chance by not passing, if anything they do it too often instead of backing themselves to make it. Situational awareness is drilled into them, if they don't think they have the pace when they break they go looking for support runners.

They are the exact opposite of most England players who seem to either have poor passing skills (forwards) or lack awareness of the break or who is out/inside them in support (that includes Burrell) who is often the weak link in Saints attack when they break through.

Mike Catt does not seem to have the ability to coach these skills, although to be fair to him, you would expect professional players to have those skills anyway.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue 17 Mar 2015, 1:48 pm

thomh wrote:On an unrelated note - just how fast is Watson? Watch his disallowed try in the first half. Hogg is travelling in the right direction but Watson still manages to fly past him. Unbelievable pace. He doesn't yet have that ability to go round a player in no space that Wade or Nowell do, but his straight line speed is ridiculous.

Quick, but not as fast as May who is just scary over anything between 5m and 100m.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 17 Mar 2015, 1:52 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
thomh wrote:On an unrelated note - just how fast is Watson? Watch his disallowed try in the first half. Hogg is travelling in the right direction but Watson still manages to fly past him. Unbelievable pace. He doesn't yet have that ability to go round a player in no space that Wade or Nowell do, but his straight line speed is ridiculous.

Quick, but not as fast as May who is just scary over anything between 5m and 100m.

May's problem is he's thick.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Mar 2015, 2:03 pm

Watson is very quick and as you say, it's his straight line speed that is so impressive. It's why he should stick with 15 rather than wing, and why England should look to May and Wade for the wing positions. Pace isn't everything in rugby, but with Ford at 10 and Joseph at 13 (with either Burrell or Tuilagi at 12) England could deploy an extremely dangerous backline.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Tue 17 Mar 2015, 2:10 pm

See I'd have thought that a player with out and out gas, but who doesn't necessarily beat the first man in the way that say Brown does, and isn't as secure under the high ball, is better suited to wing. Have commented that I think Nowell is the more likely to move to 15 long term as he has that ability to fight his way past a defender, but not necessarily the same out and out pace as May/Watson

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Tue 17 Mar 2015, 2:12 pm

And by 'not necessarily' I really just mean 'not'.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 17 Mar 2015, 2:48 pm

And don't forget Watsons brother Marcus has just signed for us from the England 7's team. He was electric both in attack and defence....

Of course that is 7's...a mickey mouse game....However once Dean and Walder get to work with him...and utilise the skills....you could have two Watsons in the England backline.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue 17 Mar 2015, 2:54 pm

2 Youngs', 2 Vunipolas and 2 Watsons. Would that be a first time for any Tier 1 nation, three sets of brothers all on the field at the same time for the same side?
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 17 Mar 2015, 3:34 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Notch wrote:
England are creating chances by they bucketload but their conversion rate is appalling. Too many players with blinkers on missing the support player or failing to execute simple passes.

Admittedly not the Tom Youngs break, that was just a poor pass, but in most other cases much of the blame actually lies with the support runners. For instance with the Burrell break, Watson stayed far too wide and needed to come closer. We have sen that a lot so far - and much of that is down to unfamiliarity. However we do indeed have limited time to build that understanding.

Why didn't Youngs go through the floor if he had no one on his shoulder? This is a fairly basic procedure in rugby that we all learn aged 5 so i just dont get the ridiculous speculative throw away pass that he employed?

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Tue 17 Mar 2015, 3:45 pm

From where Watson started I'm not sure he could have got much closer in without being too far behind.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 17 Mar 2015, 8:15 pm

Notch wrote:Hmm... I'm not sure which one I'd prefer if I was you (assuming England lose in the Final).
given its a home RWC, i'd rather we make the final and lose, than win the 6Ns and get knocked out in the semis. just my preference.

not even daring to voice what i'd really like...

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 17 Mar 2015, 8:33 pm

quinsforever wrote:
Notch wrote:Hmm... I'm not sure which one I'd prefer if I was you (assuming England lose in the Final).
given its a home RWC, i'd rather we make the final and lose, than win the 6Ns and get knocked out in the semis. just my preference.

not even daring to voice what i'd really like...
Quins, I am unaccustomed to you being shy with your opinions.  So as your doctor, please allow me to help you say what we would really like:
We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering........You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be;

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 17 Mar 2015, 8:40 pm

Yahoo

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/multimedia/archive/00068/chruchill-580_68674a.jpg

to the sound of "Dambusters"

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 17 Mar 2015, 10:23 pm

No doubts!

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18