The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC coverage

+12
Cardiff Dave
alcoombe
Hood83
R!skysports
Radox For Men
robbo277
Luckless Pedestrian
SecretFly
rainbow-warrior
Irish Londoner
No 7&1/2
pledgeX
16 posters

Go down

BBC coverage Empty BBC coverage

Post by pledgeX Thu 12 Mar 2015, 12:22 pm

I might not be able to watch the games on Saturday, does anyone know if they will be on iPlayer or repeated (in full) later that day (or even on Sunday)? I checked iPlayer and there's nothing on there currently, but I think that might be because it was ~2 weeks ago.

While we're on the subject of coverage. Anyone else disappointed by BBC's coverage? I think it's really gone downhill these last couple of years. I used to enjoy the pre-match buildup and half time analysis, but now I just tune in at kickoff. I think in part it's John Inverdale's fault, but it just seems quite sloppy. For example at the Italy game when they stood next to the loudspeaker the entire time. Surely they could just have moved a few metres away during one of the pre-recorded clips?!

Will ITV have sole coverage of the world cup, or will it be split between them like with the football WC?

pledgeX

Back to top Go down

BBC coverage Empty Re: BBC coverage

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 12 Mar 2015, 12:41 pm

The full games do appear on the iplayer, not sure if it's the same or next day though.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Thu 12 Mar 2015, 12:52 pm

ITV have the World Cup in full as unlike the football version it's not classed as a "protected" event, so it goes to the highest bidder - I think the rules are that only the final actually has to be on free to air TV.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Thu 12 Mar 2015, 12:54 pm

Think yourself fortunate. SKY Sports in NZ cancelled ALL games some 12 hours or so before Wales v England. ESPN were showing the delayed match over 12 hours after it was played no chance of avoiding the result there then! Thankfully with a UK VPN I could watch the game on BBC iPlayer. Since this ball's up I have gotten rid of SKY NZ and it's rip off prices. SKY Sport NZ would prefer to show repeats of anything rather than show 6 Nations then bugger them. I now subscribe to Netflix USA, Hulu and HBO and also watch all UK channels with a good VPN for UK and USA and it costs me $100 less that crappy old SKY NZ. There are many other places to watch free sports so I am missing out on nothing.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 12 Mar 2015, 1:40 pm

pledgeX wrote:I might not be able to watch the games on Saturday, does anyone know if they will be on iPlayer or repeated (in full) later that day (or even on Sunday)? I checked iPlayer and there's nothing on there currently, but I think that might be because it was ~2 weeks ago.

While we're on the subject of coverage. Anyone else disappointed by BBC's coverage? I think it's really gone downhill these last couple of years. I used to enjoy the pre-match buildup and half time analysis, but now I just tune in at kickoff. I think in part it's John Inverdale's fault, but it just seems quite sloppy. For example at the Italy game when they stood next to the loudspeaker the entire time. Surely they could just have moved a few metres away during one of the pre-recorded clips?!

Will ITV have sole coverage of the world cup, or will it be split between them like with the football WC?

I think all the talk of 'coverage' going down hill is really just perceptions based on too many repeating formats for sport presentation; not that you can do much more or less that would dramatically change the product. It's a chat before, mid-way and after a game. The game is the product. Graphics and clips and talking heads is about all you can do without going overboard.

But I think there is a real degree of overall Format Fatigue setting in given all the sports channels on air in the modern world and wall to wall to wall to wall coverage.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by pledgeX Thu 12 Mar 2015, 2:28 pm

SecretFly wrote:
pledgeX wrote:I might not be able to watch the games on Saturday, does anyone know if they will be on iPlayer or repeated (in full) later that day (or even on Sunday)? I checked iPlayer and there's nothing on there currently, but I think that might be because it was ~2 weeks ago.

I think all the talk of 'coverage' going down hill is really just perceptions based on too many repeating formats for sport presentation; not that you can do much more or less that would dramatically change the product.  It's a chat before, mid-way and after a game.  The game is the product.  Graphics and clips and talking heads is about all you can do without going overboard.

But I think there is a real degree of overall Format Fatigue setting in given all the sports channels on air in the modern world and wall to wall to wall to wall coverage.
I'm not convinced that the case, certainly not in my opinion anyway. I still watch the build up when it's on BT Sports, and I've always enjoyed the build up on the BBC's coverage of the F1. I think it's mainly sure to the personnel involved rather than the production value. It really bothers me when the presenters muddle their lines because you can tell someone is talking to them in their ear!

pledgeX

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 12 Mar 2015, 2:38 pm

Down to those little things, pledge? Presenter's muddling their lines?

Oh I know it can be very personal little things that bug people and appreciate you have an issue with the BBC rugby presentation.

I have an issue with all of them mostly. Maybe a sign of age, that everything seems so much 'all done before' about the world Wink
But please don't get me started on Mr 10,000 Dollar Paisley Shirt Eddie Jordan!!!!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by pledgeX Thu 12 Mar 2015, 3:32 pm

SecretFly wrote:Down to those little things, pledge?  Presenter's muddling their lines?

Oh I know it can be very personal little things that bug people and appreciate you have an issue with the BBC rugby presentation.

I have an issue with all of them mostly.  Maybe a sign of age, that everything seems so much 'all done before' about the world Wink  
But please don't get me started on Mr 10,000 Dollar Paisley Shirt Eddie Jordan!!!!

That's not the only thing that winds me up, just an example. You're totally right though, it is very personal. I quite like EJ, but my wife will leave the room if he's on TV and will only refer to him as "the gnome".

pledgeX

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 13 Mar 2015, 3:41 pm

SecretFly wrote:I think all the talk of 'coverage' going down hill is really just perceptions based on too many repeating formats for sport presentation; not that you can do much more or less that would dramatically change the product.  It's a chat before, mid-way and after a game.  The game is the product.  Graphics and clips and talking heads is about all you can do without going overboard.

There's way too much of that crap - and they won't even play proper highlights / clips of previous matches any more, they give us a dog's-dinner mash-up of different camera angles at different speeds and you lose all sense of the momentum of a move. Unnecessary and counterproductive. They should go back to showing simple reruns of previous games and save themselves the trouble.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sun 15 Mar 2015, 8:52 am

More stellar work from the Beeb here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/31872271

'The odds are against Wales - they travel to Italy with the daunting task of having to win handsomely while hoping Scotland subsequently beat Ireland and England slip up against France at Twickenham.'

Not so. If Ireland and England lose, then even a draw against Italy would be enough. On the other hand, if Wales win 'handsomely' then they don't even need Ireland and England to lose, as long as their victories are narrow.

'Stuart Lancaster's side must beat the French by five points more than Ireland beat Scotland... to lift the title'

Not if Wales have hammered Italy (as unlikely as that is).

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 15 Mar 2015, 12:37 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:More stellar work from the Beeb here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/31872271

'The odds are against Wales - they travel to Italy with the daunting task of having to win handsomely while hoping Scotland subsequently beat Ireland and England slip up against France at Twickenham.'

Not so. If Ireland and England lose, then even a draw against Italy would be enough. On the other hand, if Wales win 'handsomely' then they don't even need Ireland and England to lose, as long as their victories are narrow.

'Stuart Lancaster's side must beat the French by five points more than Ireland beat Scotland... to lift the title'

Not if Wales have hammered Italy (as unlikely as that is).

I think you're being a little bit picky, there are lot of ways this tournament can finish and I don't think the Beeb can cover all of them, the most likely scenario is it will be decided on points difference.

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 15 Mar 2015, 1:04 pm

I think the Beeb are doing a very average job with the TV coverage and the website write ups.

My issue is that they just don't have enough pundits with recent, relevant rugby experience. They have Paterson and Wood but half the pundits were amateurs and there is noone who can talk with authority about the modern game.

You look at the Sky and BT lineups and I think they're much stronger and more insightful.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 15 Mar 2015, 1:11 pm

But you only get soundbyte time robbo.  There is no time on the format for true 'insightfulness' - if there are three guys on the panel and the BEEB want to show clips and interviews and do the poetry 'colour' build ups - then each panellist doesn't get a whole lot of time to be anything but basic.
"What do you think Jeremy?"
"Well, I'd really like to concentrate on England's use of decoy runners.  So to begin with, it really is a...."
"And you, Keith?"

All the pitch wants is did you think the game was good or bad and where you think it's being won or lost......

No time for detail.  Format doesn't want it.  Casual fans (Six Nations and nothing else) don't want it.  They want a show.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Radox For Men Sun 15 Mar 2015, 1:13 pm

Depends how late you are. If you miss the start by a couple of hours you can just go on iplayers 'live coverage' feature and rewind it back to the start

Radox For Men

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sun 15 Mar 2015, 4:28 pm

Did anyone notice when Jeremy thre his toys out of the pram at half time when someone mentioned Hogg was playing well. rude and very unprofessional

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 15 Mar 2015, 5:25 pm

Good point Fly, I guess it's also much harder to attract these pundits on 7 week deals as opposed to season long offerings from Sky and BT. I do think it hurts the programming as a product, although not enough for me to turn off.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 15 Mar 2015, 6:12 pm

I think it's been absolutely fine. As usual the worst part is Inverdale, Guscott and SCW saying next to nothing of interest. The rest is OK.

ITV sports coverage is utter and total dog turd. Unremitting awfulness.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by alcoombe Sun 15 Mar 2015, 6:46 pm

Why are so many people surprised every year about the low quality of both the rugby and bbc coverage of the 6N? It has almost ever been thus. The only thing that saves the BBC coverage from being the worst around is the ITV World Cup coverage, which is truly world class in that regard. 6N & WC matches are ones that I always try and go to a busy pub to watch so that I can't hear anything from the commentary team or pundits and can avoid the tired, vacuous build up. If I'm stuck at home I look for a radio broadcast or watch in silence.

Bad commentary is a true blight of TV viewing, I just sat down to watch a recording of the Tigers v Exeter LV SF on Sky, but as soon as they stated Dewi Morris was commentating I decided not to bother.

alcoombe

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 15 Mar 2015, 10:03 pm

alcoombe wrote:Why are so many people surprised every year about the low quality of both the rugby and bbc coverage of the 6N?  It has almost ever been thus.  The only thing that saves the BBC coverage from being the worst around is the ITV World Cup coverage, which is truly world class in that regard.  6N & WC matches are ones that I always try and go to a busy pub to watch so that I can't hear anything from the commentary team or pundits and can avoid the tired, vacuous build up. If I'm stuck at home I look for a radio broadcast or watch in silence.

Bad commentary is a true blight of TV viewing, I just sat down to watch a recording of the Tigers v Exeter LV SF on Sky, but as soon as they stated Dewi Morris was commentating I decided not to bother.

Agree entirely.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun 15 Mar 2015, 10:56 pm

commentary is fine. in-game isnt done by Inverdale, Guscott or SCW. they are the talking heads before, at half time and after. easy to switch off. of go to the bar and get a round in.

quite enjoy brian moore, eddie butler et al during the matches. not being seen somehow seems to take a lot of the ego out of their commentary compared to the studio pundits.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 15 Mar 2015, 11:41 pm

Agree, like the commentary for the most part (could do without Jiffy).

As others have said though please get rid of Guscott. He was an absolute arse on Saturday, especially at half time sulking away in the corner. It was embarrassing just how begrudging he was to acknowledge Hogg's efforts in that first half.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 16 Mar 2015, 12:37 am

have come across guscott twice in bars in london and i can honestly say that in person...he's even worse!

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 16 Mar 2015, 7:34 am

I really thought juscott was drunk with his babbling and giggling

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 16 Mar 2015, 7:36 am

Those fricking montages with the crap poetry voice overs!! For the love of god bin them and sack the goon who does them! He has the most annoying voice and mannerisms.

What's wrong with just playing the highlights from last week with some drum&bass over the top...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 16 Mar 2015, 12:49 pm

yappysnap wrote:Those fricking montages with the crap poetry voice overs!! For the love of god bin them and sack the goon who does them! He has the most annoying voice and mannerisms.

What's wrong with just playing the highlights from last week with some drum&bass over the top...

I agree entirely. Except for the drum & bass. OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 16 Mar 2015, 1:07 pm

yappysnap wrote:Those fricking montages with the crap poetry voice overs!! For the love of god bin them and sack the goon who does them! He has the most annoying voice and mannerisms.

Cant you just pull your car up outside and turn the stereo on during those bits?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 16 Mar 2015, 1:14 pm

quinsforever wrote:have come across guscott twice in bars in london and i can honestly say that in person...he's even worse!

I always say he's the genuine first Black James Bond - not that Elba guy who has been mentioned for it.

Nope, I'll bet Guscott still rolls around the floor at his home (when nobody else is at home!) in his best suit and his fingers for a Walther PPK. Shaken not stirred. The name is Guscott.... Jeremy Guscott.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down