The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just ring him for goodness sake....

+19
quinsforever
BamBam
maestegmafia
bluestonevedder
Comfort
GavinDragon
Luckless Pedestrian
RDSguru
SecretFly
robbo277
LondonTiger
Notch
bedfordwelsh
Cyril
Gwlad
Gooseberry
doctornickolas
majesticimperialman
Cardiff Taffy
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Just ring him for goodness sake.... Empty Just ring him for goodness sake....

Post by Cardiff Taffy Mon 16 Mar 2015, 2:43 pm

Honestly reading this it's just like me and the wife have had a barney and neither wants to say sorry first. Pathetic really.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/31909394

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Just ring him for goodness sake.... Empty Re: Just ring him for goodness sake....

Post by Guest Mon 16 Mar 2015, 2:48 pm

Sounds like the management don't like to admit they were wrong, pride gets in the way of these sort of things

Back to top Go down

Just ring him for goodness sake.... Empty Re: Just ring him for goodness sake....

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 16 Mar 2015, 2:52 pm

I cannot see any one from the Wales coaching staff ringing him to be honest.

If they want Adam Jones back in the squad i do believe the call will have to come from Adam Jones himself. and not from WALES.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Mon 16 Mar 2015, 2:55 pm

Have you seen Adam play recently. He is slow and fat and can barely do 60 minutes at Pro12 level. Not the answer.

I would cap this Francis kid to make sure we tie him to us. Name his as a sub and bring him on.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 16 Mar 2015, 3:05 pm

doctornickolas wrote:Have you seen Adam play recently. He is slow and fat and can barely do 60 minutes at Pro12 level. 

They won a slam with him like that

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon 16 Mar 2015, 3:51 pm

Gooseberry wrote:
doctornickolas wrote:Have you seen Adam play recently. He is slow and fat and can barely do 60 minutes at Pro12 level. 

They won a slam with him like that

AJ is not the answer. His days are over because the scrum is not the contest it was when he reigned supreme. Cap the unit form Exeter

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 16 Mar 2015, 7:35 pm

Cardiff Taffy wrote:Honestly reading this it's just like me and the wife have had a barney and neither wants to say sorry first.  Pathetic really.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/31909394

That photo on the Beeb makes me a bit melancholy. Like when they return a bear to the wild. He's about to look back with those big sad eyes as the truck drives off Sad

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 16 Mar 2015, 7:42 pm

Jarvis didn't get shown up on Saturday and with Francis in the squad there is no need for Jones.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 16 Mar 2015, 7:54 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Jarvis didn't get shown up on Saturday and with Francis in the squad there is no need for Jones.

He did get shown up on Saturday a fair bit- with a different referee the scrum could have been penalised a lot more. Thats not a gripe by the way, there are many refs who rightly or wrongly would have interpreted it differently and penalised Wales.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 16 Mar 2015, 7:57 pm

I thought he held up pretty well Notch and given that for the second half our front row had combined total of 17 caps it went well.

A Jones has been a great servant but we are in this situation now because we didn't blood players in the past when he was injured or try new players out.

I would give Jarvis the shirt next week with Francis on the bench along with Gill if Jenkins is out.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 17 Mar 2015, 7:55 am

I thought the Welsh replacement props really struggled and were a touch lucky that Barnes was letting them collapse and twist in. And if gill is going to be on the bench, god help you.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 17 Mar 2015, 7:59 am

Jones was dropped. Not cast out forever by management, just not selected in the original squad. It was he who drew a line under his career, so it's he who should make the first move.

I don't think anything will be in place before the Italy game, but if Samson Lee's injury is serious and World Cup threatening, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jones named in the training squad.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 17 Mar 2015, 10:25 am

Is it a "We probably might want you more than we're letting on, but we're not going to let our pride down first. So you ring us and we'll beg you to change your mind"

? Is that what those comments are?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RDSguru Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:46 pm

I think Team Wales would welcome AJ back, but not until he's picked up all the toys he threw out of the pram.

RDSguru

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:48 pm

RDSguru wrote:I think Team Wales would welcome AJ back, but not until he's picked up all the toys he threw out of the pram.

He's the one that was thrown out...not the toys. Wink If they'd 'welcome' him back - then get on a phone and do the 'welcome' - plead ?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:50 pm

He wasn't thrown out he was dropped like many other players in the past have been dropped, he then chose to retire.

So let's move on.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RDSguru Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:56 pm

SecretFly wrote:
RDSguru wrote:I think Team Wales would welcome AJ back, but not until he's picked up all the toys he threw out of the pram.

He's the one that was thrown out...not the toys. Wink  If they'd 'welcome' him back - then get on a phone and do the 'welcome' - plead ?

Nope, he was dropped, he threw his toys out of the pram, Team Wales are being a "good parent" Smile

RDSguru

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:57 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:He wasn't thrown out he was dropped like many other players in the past have been dropped, he then chose to retire.

So let's move on.

He has.  He hasn't spoken.  Team Wales have.  Rather than 'let's move on' why not 'leave him alone' or do the brave thing, ring him and say they might be in trouble and might like him back in the mix.  But don't hint that they want him but first he has to ring them to prove it Wink

Last edited by SecretFly on Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 17 Mar 2015, 12:57 pm

robbo277 wrote:Jones was dropped. Not cast out forever by management, just not selected in the original squad. It was he who drew a line under his career, so it's he who should make the first move.

Well said. Jones is the one who spat the dummy and it's not up to Gatland to put it back in his mouth for him.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 17 Mar 2015, 3:33 pm

Jones had a tantrum and sulked off, if he doesn't have the sense to call WG now and say, I am a servant and here if needed, then he is a fat plank of the highest order and we don't need him.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 17 Mar 2015, 3:40 pm

Notch wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Jarvis didn't get shown up on Saturday and with Francis in the squad there is no need for Jones.

He did get shown up on Saturday a fair bit- with a different referee the scrum could have been penalised a lot more. Thats not a gripe by the way, there are many refs who rightly or wrongly would have interpreted it differently and penalised Wales.

agreed we were very lucky not to concede more penalties at the scrum on saturday.

And the scrums we did win were poor ball.

I actually think it will stop us scoring many points on Saturday. Jarvis is competent in the pro12 at best, gets shown up in Europe and is completely out of his depth at Int level

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 17 Mar 2015, 4:25 pm

Yeah its been mentioned already, he was dropped based on his performances and the performances of other welsh tightheads. He didnt like it and decided he was done and called time on his international career. This was after an article came out from the welsh camp saying he wasnt selected because they knew what he could do but was still in contention for the world cup blah blah blah.

Lost a fair bit of respect for the way AJ went about it to be honest. He seems like a real decent bloke but he handled this whole scenario badly.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 17 Mar 2015, 4:33 pm

Comfort wrote:Yeah its been mentioned already, he was dropped based on his performances and the performances of other welsh tightheads. He didnt like it and decided he was done and called time on his international career. This was after an article came out from the welsh camp saying he wasnt selected because they knew what he could do but was still in contention for the world cup blah blah blah.

Lost a fair bit of respect for the way AJ went about it to be honest. He seems like a real decent bloke but he handled this whole scenario badly.

That's beside the point though Comfort.  The point is he made his decision and is living with it.  If the Welsh team officals aren't interested in him then simply say to journalists "We not discussing that"  "We won't be making a comment on it"  But they did and mentioned that they're on the other end of the phone if he wants to talk to them.  

No - they're the guys now in the lurch when their new boy looks to have unfortunately had an injury.  They're the ones obviously pondering their options.  Let them drown their pride and go phone him and ask him to reconsider.
I'm on Adam's side on that one.  They want him back - maybe - but they also want him to beg for it.  Nice attitude to an old servant been shown again.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 17 Mar 2015, 4:46 pm

Sorry SF, Im not really of the sentimental brigade, I grew sick of the number of 'last games' Shane had (blasphemy in wales i know).

AJs been a great player and servant to wales, but he was on the wane and was dropped, he didnt like that (after being told he wasnt out of team wales plans) and quit test rugby.

Ok and goodbye, thank you for the memories, you've been a legend! Lee is injured, now we'll try and poach Francis in the largest saucepan known to man. Its our own fault for overlyrelying on AJ in his prime and not developing any able back-up.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 17 Mar 2015, 4:47 pm

So Samson Lee could be out of the WC too. 

Does that change things for Adam Jones even more?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 17 Mar 2015, 4:53 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:So Samson Lee could be out of the WC too. 

No because the one did not replace the other like for like. AJ Is old news with the scrum contest as it is. He is immobile and offer very little, mostly seen arriving late at breakdowns where he leans on, making half tackles and being well, a fat TH of the old school whose days in red are over.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 17 Mar 2015, 4:54 pm

Comfort wrote:Sorry SF, Im not really of the sentimental brigade, I grew sick of the number of 'last games' Shane had (blasphemy in wales i know).

AJs been a great player and servant to wales, but he was on the wane and was dropped, he didnt like that (after being told he wasnt out of team wales plans) and quit test rugby.

Ok and goodbye, thank you for the memories, you've been a legend! Lee is injured, now we'll try and poach Francis in the largest saucepan known to man. Its our own fault for overlyrelying on AJ in his prime and not developing any able back-up.

Again. Not the point. the Point is that even here Jones is being blamed for the recent comments about him. As far as I'm aware he hasn't made a comment. Team Wales have. I say Leave him be if that's where Team Wales want to leave him. If they no longer want him, don't engage in public talk about him. Don't goad a man who is saying nothing.

But if it is a hint that they Would like to talk to him, then have the courage to pick up their own phone and do so.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Mar 2015, 4:57 pm

What are Gatland etc meant to do when every Western Fail journo etc seem obsessed by asking about him all the time?

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 17 Mar 2015, 5:17 pm

Gwlad wrote:

No because the one did not replace the other like for like. AJ Is old news with the scrum contest as it is. He is immobile and offer very little, mostly seen arriving late at breakdowns where he leans on, making half tackles and being well, a fat TH of the old school whose days in red are over.

Fair response Gwlad! 

Do you prefer Scott Andrews to Jones though?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 17 Mar 2015, 5:21 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

Fair response Gwlad! 

Bugger

What about this Exeter lad. No i don't PREFER Scott at all, but feel AJ offers nowt without the scrum.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 17 Mar 2015, 5:33 pm

Gwlad wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

Fair response Gwlad! 

Bugger

What about this Exeter lad. No i don't PREFER Scott at all, but feel AJ offers nowt without the scrum.

Completely fair point and I agree. Thinking back, I can't recall any noticeable carries by AJ!

Think Tomas Francis is the Exeter lad. Certainly a physical unit, but perhaps a bit raw for international. I don't even think he's starting for Exeter much.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 17 Mar 2015, 7:00 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

Fair response Gwlad! 

Bugger

Completely fair point and I agree. Thinking back, I can't recall any noticeable carries by AJ!

Think Tomas Francis is the Exeter lad. Certainly a physical unit, but perhaps a bit raw for international. I don't even think he's starting for Exeter much.

McBryde said: "Tom is currently first-choice tight-head for Exeter, who are second in the Premiership, playing week-in, week-out rugby.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 17 Mar 2015, 7:04 pm

Yeah he definitely plays plenty for Exeter, agree he might be a bit raw as he looks a bit out of shape

Be good for the last 20 mins though I reckon

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 17 Mar 2015, 9:23 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

Fair response Gwlad! 

Bugger

McBryde said: "Tom is currently first-choice tight-head for Exeter, who are second in the Premiership, playing week-in, week-out rugby.

McBryde continued, "but we've decided to go with Scott Andrews, who, having played no rugby for the Blues, will be nice and fresh."

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 17 Mar 2015, 9:42 pm

how did you get to cap Francis anyway? one grandmother who was born in the valleys and left as soon as she could?

thats pretty fricking tenuous.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 18 Mar 2015, 5:54 am

Maybe so, but the rules are the same for everyone - and he could have turned us down if he'd wanted to.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 18 Mar 2015, 9:09 am

AJ is coaching at my lads school later today so he's definetly unavaiable.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 18 Mar 2015, 10:04 am

I know journalists keep asking about Jones, but the coaching team should just play a straight bat and say he's retired and out of contention. All this "We've got his number but he has to call us first" nonsense doesn't make anyone look good.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 18 Mar 2015, 10:17 am

quinsforever wrote:how did you get to cap Francis anyway? one grandmother who was born in the valleys and left as soon as she could?

thats pretty fricking tenuous.

They are as tenuous for everyone but he's not been capped yet, I would have had him on bench and capped him this weekend.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 18 Mar 2015, 10:37 am

maestegmafia wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

Fair response Gwlad! 

Bugger

You're right Maesteg- sorry. 

I think he'd certainly be a better inclusion than Andrews!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 18 Mar 2015, 1:29 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:I know journalists keep asking about Jones, but the coaching team should just play a straight bat and say he's retired and out of contention. All this "We've got his number but he has to call us first" nonsense doesn't make anyone look good.

Agree totally. Gatland has yet again shown publicly how inept he is at managing this type of situation. Does he have no relationship with his players at all? He comes across as petty and vindictive just as he did in the BOD affair. Maybe that is what he wants, but his attitude certainly wouldn't be encouraging Jones to be looking up his number anytime soon.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 18 Mar 2015, 1:36 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:I know journalists keep asking about Jones, but the coaching team should just play a straight bat and say he's retired and out of contention. All this "We've got his number but he has to call us first" nonsense doesn't make anyone look good.

Agree totally. Gatland has yet again shown publicly how inept he is at managing this type of situation. Does he have no relationship with his players at all? He comes across as petty and vindictive just as he did in the BOD affair. Maybe that is what he wants, but his attitude certainly wouldn't be encouraging Jones to be looking up his number anytime soon.

How is he inept, it was Jones that retired, will Phillips now retire because he has been dropped? Jones took the decision to retire himself nobody made him, Gatland wanted to look at other options just as he now wants to look at Gareth Davies at No9.

Phillips has been dropped in the past, did he retire no he knuckled down and got himself back in contention, maybe Jones didn't fancy fighting for his place against the youngsters who knows.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Mar 2015, 1:39 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:

How is he inept, it was Jones that retired, will Phillips now retire because he has been dropped?  Jones took the decision to retire himself nobody made him, Gatland wanted to look at other options just as he now wants to look at Gareth Davies at No9.

Phillips has been dropped in the past, did he retire no he knuckled down and got himself back in contention, maybe Jones didn't fancy fighting for his place against the youngsters who knows.

It's just any excuse to mention the dropping of Saint bod.

Adam Jones is no longer fit enough for international rugby and has retired. There is no story here.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 18 Mar 2015, 1:42 pm

Rev,

I totally agree but social media still going mad about it am having a wonderful argument with some lady on there who has finally resorted to personal insults because I have dared to say we should move on from Jones and he not fit enough etc etc. Very amusing and very funny.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Mar 2015, 1:47 pm

I'd assume she doesn't watch regional rugby. He isn't even good enough for more than an hour there, so what hope does he have at international level?

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 18 Mar 2015, 1:54 pm

Risca Rev wrote:

Adam Jones is no longer fit enough for international rugby and has retired. There is no story here.

And Poor Jones pays the price of Welsh fans then denying themselves the Heart to have a Heart for one of the main guys - the main guys - who got them their titles?  

Can't be seen to support a Welsh ex-player who is being thrown about in the Welsh media and now by Gats himself - and who as far as I know hasn't uttered a bloody word in public so far.  No can't be seen to support him over Gats.  That opens the can of worm some posters fear most of all..................... Wink  

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Mar 2015, 2:20 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

And Poor Jones pays the price of Welsh fans then denying themselves the Heart to have a Heart for one of the main guys - the main guys - who got them their titles?  

Can't be seen to support a Welsh ex-player who is being thrown about in the Welsh media and now by Gats himself - and who as far as I know hasn't uttered a bloody word in public so far.  No can't be seen to support him over Gats.  That opens the can of worm some posters fear most of all..................... Wink    

Nah, we appreciate his service but we have to move on. It is a good example of BOD (I guess), as although it's lovely he had his glorious send off, it has cost you a bit of time to replace him and having to shoehorn fullbacks into the centre isn't overly ideal. Gatland was a bit guilty of hanging onto Jones too long as well, to be fair. I feel Samson could've been capped a bit sooner and certainly appeared on the bench sooner.

He has said a bloody word in public. Most crucially, the words I've retired.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 18 Mar 2015, 2:50 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Gatland was a bit guilty of hanging onto Jones too long as well, to be fair. I feel Samson could've been capped a bit sooner and certainly appeared on the bench sooner.

He's decided to retire himself and that should be that.  Correct - that should be that.

Why isn't it that?

It's not that because Gatland has decided to take the heat he's getting from the media and use it to aggressively hit out at a player who isn't talking: “If he has changed his mind and wants to get on the phone and say ‘I made a rash decision, retired too early and want to be part of the World Cup squad’, that is a different conversation. At the moment I will not be going on bended knees ringing him saying please come back we really desperately need you.” [/b]

Leave him alone.  Don't be preaching about him or against him in the media.  Move on.  Attack the media for bringing him up - not the man himself.

But of course the hidden agenda is that Gatland would actually like to have Jones back as an option for the WC but growls at the idea of having to be the first one to say 'Please'.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 18 Mar 2015, 3:17 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:Gatland was a bit guilty of hanging onto Jones too long as well, to be fair. I feel Samson could've been capped a bit sooner and certainly appeared on the bench sooner.

He's decided to retire himself and that should be that.  Correct - that should be that.

Why isn't it that?

It's not that because Gatland has decided to take the heat he's getting from the media and use it to aggressively hit out at a player who isn't talking: “If he has changed his mind and wants to get on the phone and say ‘I made a rash decision, retired too early and want to be part of the World Cup squad’, that is a different conversation. At the moment I will not be going on bended knees ringing him saying please come back we really desperately need you.” [/b]

Leave him alone.  Don't be preaching about him or against him in the media.  Move on.  Attack the media for bringing him up - not the man himself.

But of course the hidden agenda is that Gatland would actually like to have Jones back as an option for the WC but growls at the idea of having to be the first one to say 'Please'.
Fly being a bit mischievous again? if you read the latest outpourings after Adam retired, which are quoted in both the Fail and the Beeb, there were messages left and conversations between the 2, which going by Gatlands take on it, Adam confirmed his retirement plans, so obviously to change those plans Adam would now have to communicate so, just to add a little, after our (Ospreys) dealings with Adam between the last season end and the start of this season when he was shown to be a LIAR, about payments received, even though he was out of contract with us, his standing within our Region is NOT the highest it has ever been, and even though Jarvis is not viewed as a competent player at Regional level within our forum, the general feeling is that Adam has made his bed and there he should lie, at least until he reverses his retirement plans.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 18 Mar 2015, 3:33 pm

Wayne, whatever bed he's in, he's lying in it.  He's retired.  

Gatland's words are recent - not from the 'retirement' day.  

He's talking as if Jones has done a recent interview whereby Jones goaded Gatland to admit he was wrong to drop him and goaded him still further in suggesting that he should be asked out of retirement because "You Need Me, Gats!!!!!!!!!!"

Jones hasn't said any of that (correct me if you read different there in Wales).  So why does Gatland speak about a player in such an aggressive put-down way when the player himself is not an active part of the current circus around his name?

If Gatland wants a target to snarl at - snarl at the media for asking him to comment.  That's all he needs to do.  No phone calls needed from retired players asking to get a chance to come back into the squad if Gats lets them and by first saying 'Please'.

I really think there is another agenda here. And I'd even consider this a bit of megaphone diplomacy. Gats is actually talking to Jones. But it might need more private words in the background to clarify the final solution that might make both of them happier men.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next