The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Kovalev The Best Light Heavyweight Since Roy Jones?

+20
theanimal316
AlexHuckerby
catchweight
milkyboy
Marlonz
TRUSSMAN66
Dipper Brown
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Scottrf
kingraf
Hammersmith harrier
Strongback
Rowley
John Bloody Wayne
TopHat24/7
88Chris05
Herman Jaeger
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
ShahenshahG
hazharrison
24 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Is Kovalev The Best Light Heavyweight Since Roy Jones? - Page 3 Empty Is Kovalev The Best Light Heavyweight Since Roy Jones?

Post by hazharrison Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:14 am

First topic message reminder :

Champions since Jones:

Johnson
Tarver
Dawson
Hopkins
Calzaghe
Pascal
Stevenson

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Is Kovalev The Best Light Heavyweight Since Roy Jones? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is Kovalev The Best Light Heavyweight Since Roy Jones?

Post by DuransHorse Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:11 am

I was a big JC fan, however I see his final light heavy days as little more than a couple of testimonial type payday fights. I think he thought Hopkins was old and Roy was shot, and whilst Hopkins made him work for the payday he hadn’t really bargained on that when he signed for the fight. As such, and despite what Hopkins has done since, I don’t really take JC’s his light heavy career seriously. If JC was now at the Hopkins stage of his career, but instead of a 40’s B-Hop waiting at light heavy there was Kovalev, would Joe have stepped up to take the challenge? I doubt it. No way either would have it easy but I suspect Joe would never have let us find out.

Since Roy, the talent has been reasonable but not spectacular, I think Kovalev takes the title as the best since. He’s done enough right now to outrank Stevenson, beaten Hopkins ( an old version but still a relevant win ) and Pascal, beat the man that beat Dawson, and I was never sold on Johnson or Tarver at the very top level. It’s not clear cut but right now I can’t make a case for anyone else.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Is Kovalev The Best Light Heavyweight Since Roy Jones? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is Kovalev The Best Light Heavyweight Since Roy Jones?

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:13 am

hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Rodney wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Calzaghe beat better fighters than this guy..

Plodder with a punch..

I hate nonsense like that comment Truss, a plodder with a punch wouldn't cream the top fighter in the division with relative ease. Seems if you don't do the shoulder roll, or throw razzle/dazzle combos you aren't classed as talented..

Cheers, Rodders

We all know it'd be different if Kov was north american, Rodders.  Truss is just stuck in the 60/70/80s and hates anything from 'the East', too much growing up in the US watching Rocky movies and eating up anything the Yank anti-communist PR machine fed him.

Whilst I don't think Kov is on the same level technically as GGG, to call him a 'plodder' is pathetic.  Surprised it wasn't preceeded by 'upright' or 'stand-up'.

Robotic at least?

I wouldn't call him robotic either, as to me that connotates stiff and repetitive, which he isn't. He's just not 'slick'. As someone else pointed out though, being able to do a shoulder roll and dance around a ring doesn't make you automatically a better boxer. Same as not doing either doesn't make you a pedestrian robot.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:15 am

He wasn't suggesting he was robotic...he was adding it to your final sentence.

For someone who is always talking about reading comprehension...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:32 am

Scottrf wrote:He wasn't suggesting he was robotic...he was adding it to your final sentence.

For someone who is always talking about reading comprehension...

Will wait for Haz to chip in then because it doesn't make sense if your interpretation is correct.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3