The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Five Nations table as it currently stands

+4
No9
SecretFly
GLove39
Pot Hale
8 posters

Go down

The Five Nations table as it currently stands Empty The Five Nations table as it currently stands

Post by Pot Hale Thu 19 Mar 2015, 8:11 pm

Before the Six Nations, there was the Five Nations.

Each rugby weekend, one team was left out, the oval bridesmaid, whilst the other four teams went at it hammer and tongs.

Imagine, for a moment, that the 5 Nations was still running - no Italy involved.

Ireland didn't play on the opening weekend, and watched the comeback thriller in Cardiff, with England scoring two tries to one.  France and Scotland laboured manfully, with the Scots getting the only try of the match but losing.

England then sat it out in week 2 as Ireland got their first points on the board, but didn't score a try to match France's one.  Wales and Scotland went at it, dotting down 2 each, with Wales emerging the victors.

Round 3, Scotland sat out, whilst France played Wales, 1 try apiece, and Ireland played England, a solitary try to Ireland.

Round 4 saw Wales complete their Five Nations with a win over Ireland and scoring 1 try to make the difference.  England played Scotland in the Calcutta, with the English scoring 3 tries to 1 against the Scots.

And as the final weekend approaches, the table looks like this:

Team ||P |W |L |PF |PA ||PD |TF |TA ||Pts
Wales43185 73 +12 5 6 6
Ireland3215343+10224
England3215548+7534
France3123946-7222
Scotland3034466-22450

Gatland and his troops have to sit on their hands and wonder if they'll be overtaken by Ireland and England.  Scotland looking to move off the bottom rung, and hope the English can do them a favour.

Last edited by Pot Hale on Thu 19 Mar 2015, 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

The Five Nations table as it currently stands Empty Re: The Five Nations table as it currently stands

Post by GLove39 Thu 19 Mar 2015, 8:20 pm

Ahhh, it's hard not to hark back to the good old days
The Five Nations table as it currently stands Image_16353_1_195315_1_38903_1_48_1_803016

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

The Five Nations table as it currently stands Empty Re: The Five Nations table as it currently stands

Post by SecretFly Thu 19 Mar 2015, 9:02 pm

In that scenario I think the reaction from Wales is that they're not happy Ireland got to sit out the first weekend. It gave us too much of a rest and now we can catch them. So pretty much very unfair on England and themselves.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Mar 2015, 9:45 pm

SecretFly wrote:In that scenario I think the reaction from Wales is that they're not happy Ireland got to sit out the first weekend.  It gave us too much of a rest and now we can catch them.  So pretty much very unfair on England and themselves.

Strong banter.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 19 Mar 2015, 9:52 pm

Just allusory, Griff Wink Just allusory. Keeping up with the news of our times...... Cool

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 19 Mar 2015, 10:11 pm

I think Ireland would be giving out that Wales didn't play a match against some other team on the first weekend.

Like...say.. Italy for example..... Smile

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Thu 19 Mar 2015, 10:15 pm

Ah the good old days.. I remember the 5 Nations and the "non-playing" weekend. But you miss one point.. In those days, there was NO points difference. There was NO championship decider, it was won outright, or shared..

So the table would look like you said, but for one change in outcome. That being Wales couldn't loose the title, only risk sharing it with Ireland and England..

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 19 Mar 2015, 10:23 pm

No9 wrote:Ah the good old days.. I remember the 5 Nations and the "non-playing" weekend. But you miss one point.. In those days, there was NO points difference. There was NO championship decider, it was won outright, or shared..

So the table would look like you said, but for one change in outcome. That being Wales couldn't loose the title, only risk sharing it with Ireland and England..

Those amateurs knew nothing about greed, God love 'em. What a naïve bunch of twits.

Amateurs at the game and amateurs at Greed.  Christ, it's remarkable the B&W generation even invented the wheel they were so dumb.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 19 Mar 2015, 10:42 pm

Did I say the table was from black & white days?

Tsk, tsk.

No. Otherwise I'd have had to start changing the value of tries and results of matches n ev'rytin.

I'm merely demonstrating how the table would look today if Italy weren't in it.

And trying to make Welsh fans feel better about not playing Italy first instead of last....
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 19 Mar 2015, 10:44 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Did I say the table was from black & white days?

Tsk, tsk.

No.   Otherwise I'd have had to start changing the value of tries and results of matches n ev'rytin.

And trying to make Welsh fans feel better about not playing Italy first instead of last....

Do you mean they're maybe getting something of an advantage over ourselves and England in playing Italy last, when we and all other sides have run the poor bug-gars into the ground for them??

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 19 Mar 2015, 10:45 pm

SecretFly wrote:

Tsk, tsk.

No.   Otherwise I'd have had to start changing the value of tries and results of matches n ev'rytin.

Do you mean they're maybe getting something of an advantage over ourselves and England in playing Italy last, when we and all other sides have run the poor bug-gars into the ground for them??

You might say that. I couldn't possibly comment.

FU
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 20 Mar 2015, 8:24 am

Coming up to the end of the 5Ns era didn't we all end up playing Italy on our weekend off anyway?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Mar 2015, 8:32 am

Pot Hale wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Tsk, tsk.

You might say that.  I couldn't possibly comment.

FU

Bit harsh!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 20 Mar 2015, 6:16 pm

Griff wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Tsk, tsk.

FU

Bit harsh!

Not in the slightest.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Mar 2015, 9:08 pm

No9 wrote:Ah the good old days.. I remember the 5 Nations and the "non-playing" weekend. But you miss one point.. In those days, there was NO points difference. There was NO championship decider, it was won outright, or shared..

I am pretty sure that the rules of the championship changed in the early nineties to points difference and an overall winner.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Mar 2015, 9:51 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
Griff wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Tsk, tsk.

FU

Bit harsh!

Not in the slightest.

Well FU too then!

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 20 Mar 2015, 10:19 pm

I saw a decent suggestion somewhere about bringing in bonus points for the 6N but making it 5 points for a win so a Grand Slam with no bonus points would still guarantee winning the tournament.Might be worth thinking about in the future.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 21 Mar 2015, 1:30 am

Griff wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
Griff wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Tsk, tsk.

FU

Bit harsh!

Not in the slightest.

Well FU too then!

I presume you understand what FU means in this context?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 21 Mar 2015, 2:01 am

asoreleftshoulder wrote:I saw a decent suggestion somewhere about bringing in bonus points for the 6N but making it 5 points for a win so a Grand Slam with no bonus points would still guarantee winning the tournament.Might be worth thinking about in the future.

Yeah 5 points for a win, 1 point for 4 tries or more, no losing bonus points and results between the two teams being the first determining factor if teams are tied on points would mean the Grand Slam winner couldn't be overhauled even by a team with four wins and four tries in every game. It's a good idea.

Having said that... and acknowledging that the current system is very unbalanced and flawed and points difference is a circumstantial crapshoot... isn't it basically really exciting thinking about what could happen today?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 21 Mar 2015, 7:34 am

Would bonus point really open it up though? By nature the battles have generally always been tight afaires in this championship.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Mar 2015, 8:50 am

Pot Hale wrote:
Griff wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
Griff wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Tsk, tsk.

FU

Bit harsh!

Not in the slightest.

Well FU too then!

I presume you understand what FU means in this context?

No, which is why I said 'bit harsh' with an exclamation mark.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 21 Mar 2015, 10:32 am

Anyway, even if it meant F**k You, it was addressed to me, Griff Wink... not you.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Mar 2015, 11:00 am

Oh I know that Fly. I was joining in the FU fun. But apparently I've not understood the real and hidden meaning. Life sucks Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat 21 Mar 2015, 12:02 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Would bonus point really open it up though? By nature the battles have generally always been tight afaires in this championship.

That's kind of the point,if you have bonus points teams might try to look for tries a bit more and in doing so make it a more open game where the opposition then also have a better chance of scoring tries.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 21 Mar 2015, 1:56 pm

Griff wrote:Oh I know that Fly. I was joining in the FU fun. But apparently I've not understood the real and hidden meaning. Life sucks Sad

Not hidden at all.

FU = Francis Urquart/Underwood - "You might say/think that, I couldn't possibly comment."
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down