The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Walsh retires with immediate effect

+26
Nachos Jones_1
The Saint
Gwlad
TightHEAD
EWT Spoons
stub
lostinwales
rodders
nobbled
Barney McGrew did it
GavinDragon
Poorfour
MissBlennerhassett
wayne
Taylorman
doctor_grey
Sin é
TheRugbyMaster
LondonTiger
SecretFly
No 7&1/2
Duty281
GunsGerms
Artful_Dodger
Pot Hale
GLove39
30 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Steve Walsh retires with immediate effect  - Page 2 Empty Steve Walsh retires with immediate effect

Post by GLove39 Thu 19 Mar 2015, 10:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sad

ESPN wrote:Veteran referee Steve Walsh has retired with immediate effect, the 43-year-old whistle-blower calling time on his 18-year Super Rugby career to pursue personal business interests.

Walsh made the announcement via an Australian Rugby Union press release on Friday morning, saying it would be unfair to continue when he wasn't completely focused on officiating.

"I have lived my dream and I am truly grateful for every experience that I have had in rugby. It's been an incredible journey," Walsh said. "I would be doing all of the key stakeholders in the game - from officials to the players to the fans - an injustice if I was unable to 100 per cent channel my energies and devote my full attention towards refereeing Super Rugby and Test Matches. I would not want my new focus to impact the integrity of the competitions I am involved in.

"I will be forever indebted to Australian Rugby for including me so openly following a difficult period for me personally. I would also like to acknowledge my time with New Zealand Rugby. Their decision to end my contract in 2009 was challenging, but was ultimately the best thing has ever happened in my life. It made me confront who I was and how I carried myself."

ARU chief executive Bill Pulver paid tribute to Walsh, saying the 56-Test official had shown great respect and integrity for the game in making the decision to retire.

"On behalf of everyone at the ARU, I would like to wish Steve all the best in his future endeavours. His departure is a big loss to Australian rugby and the game globally, but we fully respect Steve's decision to pursue his own personal dreams and wish him well. In making this significant decision, Steve has displayed a strong level of integrity and respect for the game.

"Steve has been a terrific ambassador for Australian rugby - whether it be at Six Nations games on the other side of the world, in the spotlight officiating World Cup games or refereeing Super Rugby fixtures - living the core values of our sport day in, day out and inspiring the next generation of match officials in this country. We now look forward to continuing to support the development of our next tier of match officials to reach and hopefully exceed the levels attained by Steve through his career."

Last edited by GLove39 on Fri 20 Mar 2015, 12:35 am; edited 2 times in total

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Steve Walsh retires with immediate effect  - Page 2 Empty Re: Steve Walsh retires with immediate effect

Post by stub Fri 20 Mar 2015, 11:38 am

GunsGerms wrote:Jokes aside Im sure there has been a sudden injection of English interest in whatever business interest he has and he received an offer he cant refuse.

Perhaps he's been offered a hairdressing business at Twickenham?

I always dreaded it when he reffed England but hope he goes on to do something that makes him happy.

More than happy with Owens for Saturday.

stub

Back to top Go down

Steve Walsh retires with immediate effect  - Page 2 Empty Re: Steve Walsh retires with immediate effect

Post by SecretFly Fri 20 Mar 2015, 11:39 am

Good man stub...that's what happens when you look too long at the sun without protective specs.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri 20 Mar 2015, 11:40 am

GunsGerms wrote:Jokes aside Im sure there has been a sudden injection of English interest in whatever business interest he has and he received an offer he cant refuse.

Perhaps he's been offered a hairdressing business at Twickenham?

I always dreaded it when he reffed England but hope he goes on to do something that makes him happy.

More than happy with Owens for Saturday.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri 20 Mar 2015, 11:42 am

Sorry about multiple posts - the site said it was down for maintenance...

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri 20 Mar 2015, 11:44 am

Sorry about multiple posts - the site said it was down for maintenance...

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 20 Mar 2015, 12:46 pm

I've heard he might have been offered a hairdressing business at Twickenham.

I wasn't sure the first time I heard it, but after the 5th time I was sold

:-)

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri 20 Mar 2015, 12:57 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:I've heard he might have been offered a hairdressing business at Twickenham.

I wasn't sure the first time I heard it, but after the 5th time I was sold

:-)

Just beat you to it!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri 20 Mar 2015, 12:58 pm

SecretFly wrote:Good man stub...that's what happens when you look too long at the sun without protective specs.

Nothing wrong with my eyesight Fly - 20/20 and balanced through both eyes! Cool

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 20 Mar 2015, 1:04 pm

Oh that's okay then. It's just the repeats seemed to suggest you were eclipse watching with the naked 20/20s. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri 20 Mar 2015, 1:12 pm

Can see how you'd think that Fly after my ridiculous multiple posts..

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri 20 Mar 2015, 1:13 pm

At least he won't be in charge of the Eng vs Wales RWC game at Twickers.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 20 Mar 2015, 1:15 pm

Oh he said he'd come out of retirement for that one. He was quite direct on that point in his statement, tighthead.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 20 Mar 2015, 4:46 pm

GLove39 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Immediate effect?

But he is still reffing England-France on Saturday, right?

Nope, apparently Nigel Owens is doing it now

Ha ha that's awesome…bet Owens is a cheater like Barnes.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 20 Mar 2015, 7:45 pm

An outstanding man, a great ref, and a very handsome looking guy. This is truly a very dark day in rugby.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones_1 Fri 20 Mar 2015, 7:47 pm

I actually really liked Walsh, thought he was a very good ref. Wish him well with what he does now.

Nachos Jones_1

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sat 21 Mar 2015, 8:59 am

[quote="Gwlad"]
GLove39 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Immediate effect?

But he is still reffing England-France on Saturday, right?

Nope, apparently Nigel Owens is doing it now

Ha ha that's awesome…bet Owens is a cheater like Barnes.[/quote

Cheater ? Did WRU bung Barnes for that result ? And Walsh for that matter ?

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Mar 2015, 9:09 am

Think he was being sarcastic Gregor, as that is what the Irish have been accusing Barnes of.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 21 Mar 2015, 9:33 am

This is the first time I've ever been sad a referee is knocking it on the head, he was the best in the world in my opinion. Was always balanced and fair and as long as you listened to what he said you were fine.
Shame, good luck in whatever career you pursue next Sad
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Mar 2015, 9:41 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but according to the BBC the decision to replace Walsh with Owens was made 'weeks ago'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/31987835

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat 21 Mar 2015, 1:17 pm

TheRugbyMaster wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Irelands bogey ref steps in to ref their game at the last minute and englands bogey drops out.

RFU pulling out all the stops this time by the looks!

that's nothing. you wait til RWC.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat 21 Mar 2015, 1:21 pm

Griff wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned, but according to the BBC the decision to replace Walsh with Owens was made 'weeks ago'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/31987835
nah, according to well place green sources, it was a bogof (buy one get one free) deal the RFU did with him at the same time they swapped Barnes in for him last week.

they paid him millions, and as mentioned above, gave him the twickenham stadium hairdressing concession.

picard

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 21 Mar 2015, 3:26 pm

The game will certainly miss Steve Walsh checking his hair on the big screen. I wish him the best of luck as he seeks a starring role in the remake of classic TV series Miami Vice.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2