The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 27 March

+28
TJ
theslosty
asoreleftshoulder
Nematode
A Simply Mesmeric Try
GLove39
bsando
BigGee
pete (buachaill on eirne)
MrsP
Golden
Notch
LeinsterFan4life
the-goon
funnyExiledScot
jimbopip
Scottish White Line Fever
thebandwagonsociety
FecklessRogue
SecretFly
SirBurger
tigertattie
Jenifer McLadyboy
21st Century Schizoid Man
VinceWLB
Anglobraveheart
RDW
George Carlin
32 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Leinster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 27 March  - Page 4 Empty Leinster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 27 March

Post by George Carlin Sun 22 Mar 2015, 1:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

Leinster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 27 March  - Page 4 Leinst10                    Leinster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 27 March  - Page 4 Glasgo10
Leinster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors
Friday 27 March 2015
KO 19:35
RDS Arena
Dooblin

Live on TG4/BBC 2 Scotland

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU, 121st competition game)Leinster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 27 March  - Page 4 Worshi10
Assistant Referees: David Wilkinson, Barry Kieran (both IRFU)
Citing Commissioner: John Cole (IRFU )
TMO: Seamus Fannery (IRFU )

A. Teams:

Leinster Rugby
Leinster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 27 March  - Page 4 Michae10
15. Zane Kirchner
14. Fergus McFadden
13. Ben Te'o
12. Ian Madigan
11. Dave Kearney
10. Jimmy Gopperth
09. Eoin Reddan

01. Michael Bent
02. Richardt Strauss
03. Marty Moore
04. Tom Denton
05. Mike McCarthy
06. Jordi Murphy
07. Shane Jennings (c)
08. Jack Conan

16. Sean Cronin
17. Cian Healy
18. Tadhg Furlong
19. Ben Marshall
20. Dominic Ryan
21. Isaac Boss
22. Gordon D'Arcy
23. Luke Fitzgerald

Glasgow Warriors
Leinster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 27 March  - Page 4 Tommy-10
15. Stuart Hogg
14. Tommy Seymour
13. Mark Bennett
12. Peter Horne
11. DTH van der Merwe
10. Finn Russell
09. Nikola Matawalu

08. Josh Strauss
07. Chris Fusaro
06. Rob Harley
05. Al Kellock (c)
04. Tim Swinson
03. Zander Fagerson
02. Fraser Brown
01. Alex Allan

16. Pat MacArthur
17. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
18. Michael Cusack
19. Jonny Gray
20. Adam Ashe
21. Henry Pyrgos
22. Connor Braid
23. Richie Vernon.

B. Form - head to head:

29 Played 29
18 Wins 9
9 Losses 18
2 Draws 2
65 Tries 52
47 Conversions 33
85 Penalties 56
1 Drop Goals 3
677 Points 503
26 Avg. Age 25

C. Form:

Sat 6 Sept 2014
Glasgow Warriors 22 - 20 Leinster Rugby

Sat 31 May 2014 (Final)
Leinster Rugby 34 - 12 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 1 March 2014
Leinster Rugby 28 - 25 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 20 Sept 2013
Glasgow Warriors 12 - 6 Leinster Rugby

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 26 Mar 2015, 12:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Leinster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 27 March  - Page 4 Empty Re: Leinster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 27 March

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 29 Mar 2015, 1:13 pm

Glenn Bryce took his try very well esp after the charge down by Boss for their try. Suicide pass from Niko btw. Given injuries and indiscipline we just would not go away in the 2nd 40 and the attitude is amazing. Thanks for that Toonie,Big Shade and Kenny Murray clap

Back to top Go down

Leinster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 27 March  - Page 4 Empty Re: Leinster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors, 27 March

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 29 Mar 2015, 2:31 pm

jimbopip wrote:For me the outstanding thing was the way Glasgow refused to lose. The real leaders stepped up and wanted the ball and took it right into the Ladyboys. Bluto, Jonny, DTH, Messiah and Hornee were all outstanding. Richie Vee had a barnstorming evening till he went off, didn't contribute too much afterwards TBH.
How anyone can argue that Clare Baldwin brings more guts to a game than Bluto is beyond me.
Glasgow are now playing for a home semi (again) and must be in with a realistic chance of being champions. Happy days indeed.

Worth watching Clare Baldwin in action against the Scarlets. Like Ashe and Wilson only good.

I think Scotland will use both Denton and Strauss at the World Cup. Harley just wasn't good enough in the 6 Nations.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun 29 Mar 2015, 2:49 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
jimbopip wrote:For me the outstanding thing was the way Glasgow refused to lose. The real leaders stepped up and wanted the ball and took it right into the Ladyboys. Bluto, Jonny, DTH, Messiah and Hornee were all outstanding. Richie Vee had a barnstorming evening till he went off, didn't contribute too much afterwards TBH.
How anyone can argue that Clare Baldwin brings more guts to a game than Bluto is beyond me.
Glasgow are now playing for a home semi (again) and must be in with a realistic chance of being champions. Happy days indeed.

Worth watching Clare Baldwin in action against the Scarlets. Like Ashe and Wilson only good.

I think Scotland will use both Denton and Strauss at the World Cup. Harley just wasn't good enough in the 6 Nations.

Denton did play well, he only stopped to check his hair 5 or 6 times.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 29 Mar 2015, 2:53 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Er. You posted on the other thread that you hadn't actually watched the match yet.

Are you just 'projecting' that Denton played comparably to Strauss and better than Ashe?
On balance, I'll give you that he probably played better than Wilson.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 29 Mar 2015, 5:24 pm

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Er. You posted on the other thread that you hadn't actually watched the match yet.

Are you just 'projecting' that Denton played comparably to Strauss and better than Ashe?
On balance, I'll give you that he probably played better than Wilson.

George, I feel you are being a trifle unfair here. Fester is far too busy consuming his weight in pheasant bridies to actually watch the Luvvies: he has staff to do this for him.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 29 Mar 2015, 10:19 pm

Well perhaps more remarkable is the fact that between posting yesterday that I hadn't seen the game and posting today that I had, I watched the game.

PM me if further explanation is required.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 30 Mar 2015, 5:56 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Well perhaps more remarkable is the fact that between posting yesterday that I hadn't seen the game and posting today that I had, I watched the game.

Rolling Eyes
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 30 Mar 2015, 12:32 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Well perhaps more remarkable is the fact that between posting yesterday that I hadn't seen the game and posting today that I had, I watched the game.

How dare you watch a game of rugby in your spare time!

For shame sir!

For shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 30 Mar 2015, 2:07 pm

"I was watching Super Rugby at the weekend and the commentators said that the rumour was that Taqele Naiyaravoro (Waratahs Fijian Winger) has signed a 2 year deal with SRU, but they didnt know whether it was Glasgow or Edinburgh that he was going to.

Any news on this?"

Daffy B (scotsman comments section)

I met a guy who works for the SRU and G Warriors pre Scotland vs Wales and he told me that Glasgow had two signings on the cards, one was an italian and the other from the waratahs. So it would seem that Glasgow may have signed naiyaravoro.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 30 Mar 2015, 2:21 pm

When you say you watched a game - do you really mean that you had your butler watch it and ask him for a executive summary?

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 30 Mar 2015, 2:22 pm

So when do we see R Vernon back in a Scotland shirt

Really on form and I think would make an excellent addition to the squad

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Mon 30 Mar 2015, 3:06 pm

The Herald - Alan Lorimer wrote:

Onus on Scottish Rugby to stop gold spoon from devouring schools scene

At the conclusion of another schools rugby season it was George Watson's College who took the honours after winning the Brewin Dolphin Scottish Schools under-18 Cup for a third successive year and then going on to achieve an unprecedented hat-trick of titles in the top sevens tournaments this spring.

Watson's are one of a small group of schools along with Strathallan, Merchiston, Edinburgh Academy and Stewart's-Melville College - and, to an extent, St Aloysius College - who have effectively become elite rugby academies within Scotland and who, as a result, are enjoying spectacular success.

One look at what is far from a top-secret Watson's website reveals that their first XV players train during lunch breaks and after school following carefully planned skills development and strength and conditioning programmes - a tougher regime than for some senior players.

The common factor is the creation of a director of rugby post, currently occupied by Ally Donaldson at Watson's, Andy Henderson at Strathallan, Rob Moffat at Merchiston, Mark Appleson at Edinburgh Academy and Mark McKenzie at St Aloysius College to name but four. Some would argue, too, that the ability to offer scholarships, gives certain independents an unfair advantage.

Next season Watson's, Stewart's-Melville, Strathallan, Dollar, Edinburgh Academy and Merchiston will play in what is being dubbed a 'conference', the idea being that regular intense competition between elite schools will raise standards. Conferences to cater for all levels are also being created to ensure appropriate levels of competition and to avoid dangerous and discouraging mismatches.

That seems all very well but for many this might be seen as the silver spoon turning to gold. The advantaged getting even more. What, it may be asked, is being done for the 95.4 per cent of youngsters who attend state schools?

To their credit Scottish Rugby are addressing the problem by trying to increase their Schools of Rugby programme but even the most enthusiastic proponent of this scheme would admit that it will be a battle against a steep gradient.

Establishing rugby (or indeed any sport) in state schools depends on having a dedicated member of staff, and a head teacher, who will buy into rugby. Does he or she see sport as something that is good for the well-being of the school and a contributor to better exam results? Or is it just an expensive nuisance that uses up time and resources?

Almost on a daily basis there are research findings informing us about frightening obesity and low fitness levels in young adults and moreover there are studies which repeatedly correlate participation in sport with academic attainment. Yet the obvious conclusion is seldom made and, worse, rarely implemented.

Ultimately, given the massive work overload most teachers experience these days, and the consequent near-impossibility of Saturday morning sport, rugby will only be part of school life if there is a serious intent to make it happen. And that means the Scottish Government taking more than a passing interest in school sport and making sure active sport is encouraged.

Question to everyone - is this a good or bad thing?

I can see the positives and the negatives. Having an elite competition can be good. Hot housing the talent in a competitive league. But then it's not supporting the rest.

Border schools lose players after 4th/5th year for guys that go off and do apprentices so will never compete at U18 Cup level.

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 30 Mar 2015, 3:09 pm

bsando wrote:"I was watching Super Rugby at the weekend and the commentators said that the rumour was that Taqele Naiyaravoro (Waratahs Fijian Winger) has signed a 2 year deal with SRU, but they didnt know whether it was Glasgow or Edinburgh that he was going to.

Any news on this?"

I met a guy who works for the SRU and G Warriors pre Scotland vs Wales and he told me that Glasgow had two signings on the cards, one was an italian and the other from the waratahs. So it would seem that Glasgow may have signed naiyaravoro.

Both clubs are losing wingers, but Glasgow certainly need them more so that would perhaps be his best place. He looks a cracking prospect though so would prefer him at Edinburgh! Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 30 Mar 2015, 3:28 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
bsando wrote:"I was watching Super Rugby at the weekend and the commentators said that the rumour was that Taqele Naiyaravoro (Waratahs Fijian Winger) has signed a 2 year deal with SRU, but they didnt know whether it was Glasgow or Edinburgh that he was going to.

Any news on this?"

Both clubs are losing wingers, but Glasgow certainly need them more so that would perhaps be his best place.  He looks a cracking prospect though so would prefer him at Edinburgh! Very Happy
The Unwashed lost Maitland DTH, the Anal Bleachers lost Visser. Hands off Big Tacky (as I have just officially christened him).
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 30 Mar 2015, 3:31 pm

cp10 wrote:
The Herald - Alan Lorimer wrote:

Onus on Scottish Rugby to stop gold spoon from devouring schools scene

At the conclusion of another schools rugby season it was George Watson's College who took the honours after winning the Brewin Dolphin Scottish Schools under-18 Cup for a third successive year and then going on to achieve an unprecedented hat-trick of titles in the top sevens tournaments this spring.

Watson's are one of a small group of schools along with Strathallan, Merchiston, Edinburgh Academy and Stewart's-Melville College - and, to an extent, St Aloysius College - who have effectively become elite rugby academies within Scotland and who, as a result, are enjoying spectacular success.

One look at what is far from a top-secret Watson's website reveals that their first XV players train during lunch breaks and after school following carefully planned skills development and strength and conditioning programmes - a tougher regime than for some senior players.

The common factor is the creation of a director of rugby post, currently occupied by Ally Donaldson at Watson's, Andy Henderson at Strathallan, Rob Moffat at Merchiston, Mark Appleson at Edinburgh Academy and Mark McKenzie at St Aloysius College to name but four. Some would argue, too, that the ability to offer scholarships, gives certain independents an unfair advantage.

Next season Watson's, Stewart's-Melville, Strathallan, Dollar, Edinburgh Academy and Merchiston will play in what is being dubbed a 'conference', the idea being that regular intense competition between elite schools will raise standards. Conferences to cater for all levels are also being created to ensure appropriate levels of competition and to avoid dangerous and discouraging mismatches.

That seems all very well but for many this might be seen as the silver spoon turning to gold. The advantaged getting even more. What, it may be asked, is being done for the 95.4 per cent of youngsters who attend state schools?

To their credit Scottish Rugby are addressing the problem by trying to increase their Schools of Rugby programme but even the most enthusiastic proponent of this scheme would admit that it will be a battle against a steep gradient.

Establishing rugby (or indeed any sport) in state schools depends on having a dedicated member of staff, and a head teacher, who will buy into rugby. Does he or she see sport as something that is good for the well-being of the school and a contributor to better exam results? Or is it just an expensive nuisance that uses up time and resources?

Almost on a daily basis there are research findings informing us about frightening obesity and low fitness levels in young adults and moreover there are studies which repeatedly correlate participation in sport with academic attainment. Yet the obvious conclusion is seldom made and, worse, rarely implemented.

Ultimately, given the massive work overload most teachers experience these days, and the consequent near-impossibility of Saturday morning sport, rugby will only be part of school life if there is a serious intent to make it happen. And that means the Scottish Government taking more than a passing interest in school sport and making sure active sport is encouraged.

Question to everyone - is this a good or bad thing?

I can see the positives and the negatives. Having an elite competition can be good. Hot housing the talent in a competitive league. But then it's not supporting the rest.

Border schools lose players after 4th/5th year for guys that go off and do apprentices so will never compete at U18 Cup level.

I think a possible solution to the State school rugby development problem might be to emulate the example of Bell Baxter High School in Cupar who traditionally have close links to Howe of Fife RFC. Bell Baxter are one of the very few schools teams (outside the borders) who can compete with the private schools in the various cup competitions. Howe of Fife are now only two or three divisions below the premiership in Scotland so are reaping the benefit of working closely with Bell Baxter. There seems a lot of sense to me in aligning state schools to local rugby clubs, both the school and the club benefit and many more players are kept in the game after leaving school.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 30 Mar 2015, 5:07 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:

I think a possible solution to the State school rugby development problem might be to emulate the example of Bell Baxter High School in Cupar who traditionally have close links to Howe of Fife RFC. Bell Baxter are one of the very few schools teams (outside the borders) who can compete with the private schools in the various cup competitions. Howe of Fife are now only two or three divisions below the premiership in Scotland so are reaping the benefit of working closely with Bell Baxter. There seems a lot of sense to me in aligning state schools to local rugby clubs, both the school and the club benefit and many more players are kept in the game after leaving school.

They have one more game to play to try and get promoted after Musselburgh beat them at the weekend to win the division!

Fully agree with your point and Howe is an example of this! The youngsters need to be tied in with a club as you can stay on at the club when you grow up! If you only play for a school team, when you leave school, you are stuffed!

Clubs and schools working hand in hand together to keep kids on the path!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 30 Mar 2015, 6:14 pm

I think a more organised approach to school rugby is to be welcomed, and I'm not surprised at all that it's the independent schools making the running on this.

Ideally you'd create a tournament/league system open to all schools, with tiering/promotion/relegation in place as required. New entrants can join starting from the bottom rung and win promotion etc. on merit.

Problems will come down to cost, but I'd be all for the SRU covering the cost for the state schools, with the independent schools paying for their own participation. There would no doubt be various scheduling issues to consider, as well as travel costs etc. and venues, but it must at least be worth serious consideration and scoping.

As for aligning schools (and it should be all schools) to rugby clubs, I think this is an excellent idea.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4