The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charles Piutau signs for Ulster

+10
LordDowlais
RF09
Jenifer McLadyboy
SecretFly
formerly known as Sam
Rory_Gallagher
funnyExiledScot
PenfroPete
Pete330v2
alive555
14 posters

Go down

Charles Piutau signs for Ulster Empty Charles Piutau signs for Ulster

Post by alive555 Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:42 pm

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/32129584

Absolutely fantastic signing for Ulster Very Happy

alive555

Back to top Go down

Charles Piutau signs for Ulster Empty Re: Charles Piutau signs for Ulster

Post by Pete330v2 Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:54 pm

He's the real deal which surprisesme. I didn't expect that level of player being attracted to our wee island but hey, who's complaining. Superb signing but now we need some backrow options

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:04 pm

A view from NZ - http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/67596942/departing-all-black-charles-piutau-looks-to-move-on-after-making-shock-decision-to-leave-new-zealand-rugby
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:22 pm

This is a great signing, versatile as well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:26 pm

Certainly is and Rory hasn't even won The Masters yet Wink
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:26 pm

To be honest, I would be pretty peeved at the fact that so many young and exciting players are leaving the SH as they are being offered deals that are far too good to ignore. Can anyone really blame a 23 year old man taking an offer of 2 million over 2 years? These are the kind of deals that you would almost be mad to decline.

As glad as I am to see such a great player in an Ulster jersey, I am also worried that professionalism is going to continue down this road and damage certain teams/players and their international futures.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:17 am

http://m.theblues.co.nz/News/Show/6685

Contract doesn't begun until 2016 so won't be playing for Ulster next season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:28 am

Let's reserve the 'superb' until there is proof that he's making a go of it.  Wink  There is another thread on the go in these parts dedicated to Worst Big Name Signings.  Some impressive names on that list........

Another angle though might be that Piutau's agent sees some merit in having his client working close to a potential All Blacks coach.... for future familiarity benefits Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:29 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:http://m.theblues.co.nz/News/Show/6685

Contract doesn't begun until 2016 so won't be playing for Ulster next season.
why do people constantly mention this as if it is unexpected. It has been in every article on the subject going back to the first one on the 31st of march. Erm

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:56 am

Ah okay Jen is missed that when originally stated. Just assumed it was part of the post RWC rush northwards.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:55 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Ah okay Jen is missed that when originally stated. Just assumed it was part of the post RWC rush northwards.
sorry man. Reasonable assumption.
I posted it originally on the Ulster thread and on 3 other forums and in every case a few people came on a day or 2 later to point this out despite me drawing attention to it 8n the original post

i suppose everyone is just expecting the exodus to start a year eaier.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by RF09 Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:08 pm

What do we think to this..
Piutau to Wasps... for this season 2014/2015...
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34207113
Hope thats not a risk that he wants to extend there later on and pull out of the Ulster deal...

RF09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:21 pm

It's disappointing that the IRFU wouldn't relax the rules a bit, considering the world cup, and allow Piutau move to Ulster a bit earlier. Think it's to Ulsters advantage that Piutau is playing in a NH club like Wasps before he arrives at Ulster. I'm not concerned at all that he might want to extend his 6 months contract with Wasps. I don't believe he will at all. He's set for Ulster, and that, I believe, is written in stone.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:24 pm

Stones crack...................... or get blown up by mad lads. Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:29 pm

Charles Pitau signs for Ulster, but not before he plays for Wasps for a few months:-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34207113

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:36 pm

They do for sure, Fly, but the stone I'm talking about is Piutau's faith. It might sound odd, but I think he made mention that his faith had a part to play in his decision to come to Ulster, and if that's true it's a very tough stone to crack. I don't believe it will.
If he did want to stay on with Wasps, it wouldn't be a huge blow for Ulster. Ludik has been fantastic for us, and it will be disappointing to see him go if IRFU won't allow Ulster to keep him for a year until he can become IQ.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:41 pm

This move is probably good for Ulster in that it will allow Charles to become acclimatised in a less taxing environment than the Pro12. He'll be more than ready to move on after six months. Wink

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:46 pm

Wasps.................Hmmm, a neat enough outfit on the playing style front.... and may have the odd buck of undeclared Salary Cap over-spend to try to entice him to stay if he proves a seamless addition.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:53 pm

Munchkin wrote:It's disappointing that the IRFU wouldn't relax the rules a bit, considering the world cup, and allow Piutau move to Ulster a bit earlier. Think it's to Ulsters advantage that Piutau is playing in a NH club like Wasps before he arrives at Ulster. I'm not concerned at all that he might want to extend his 6 months contract with Wasps. I don't believe he will at all. He's set for Ulster, and that, I believe, is written in stone.

Theres bound to be a buy out clause in it but if the NZRU weren't able to twist his arm I doubt Wasps will

Maybe Ulster didn't ask the IRFU to allow us to move things up, there mightn't be room in the budget this season or him plus who would miss out if h did come in? Trimble and Gilroy look good on the wing, Marshalls coming back to form, this is a big year for McCloskey and all signs look like hes going to kick on ( Fingers Crossed ), young Arnolds on the bench too with a chance to continue his development, Olding hopefully due back soon too and Ludik who's been reliable at full back with Cave, Bowe and Payne all to come back into the picture after the RWC

Next season will be fun Charles Piutau signs for Ulster 3933776953 Yahoo

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:39 pm

Good for Ulster. With Wasps he can adapt to NH rugby and maybe refind some consistent form. As long as he stays injury free he'll join Ulster more settled and ready to play.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:48 pm

A Wasps fan on here reckons he'll be at FB for them with Halai and Wade on the wings, don't know much about Ludik but Piutau has impressed me whenever he's been playing there

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:50 pm

Sam he was had some pretty good form for the ABs in the games he played this summer and was one of their best players

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:13 pm

I wouldn't be too unhappy if Piutau falls in love with the bright lights of London Coventry and decides to stay there, because we can put all the money we get in compensation plus his generous salary towards a new number 8 instead! I doubt we have enough leftover in our budget to have Piutau and another marquee signing.

Great signing for us, but wrong position to invest in. Back row is a major problem area.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:30 pm

marty2086 wrote:Sam he was had some pretty good form for the ABs in the games he played this summer and was one of their best players

I only saw the one appearance of his for the ABs. Ropey first half before top drawer second half. One of their best players is a touch optimistic. He certainly looked a lot better for the ABs than he did the Blues (where he was cack). I think with Piatau the difficulty will be realising that potential because he could be one of the best in the world where as at the minute he must be a bit of a frustration for his coaches.

Having watched a chunk of the Super 15 I think the ABs made the right choice in taking Milner-Scudder ahead of Piatau. Dodgey hamstring aside he delivers every time.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:41 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
marty2086 wrote:Sam he was had some pretty good form for the ABs in the games he played this summer and was one of their best players

I only saw the one appearance of his for the ABs. Ropey first half before top drawer second half. One of their best players is a touch optimistic. He certainly looked a lot better for the ABs than he did the Blues (where he was cack). I think with Piatau the difficulty will be realising that potential because he could be one of the best in the world where as at the minute he must be a bit of a frustration for his coaches.

Having watched a chunk of the Super 15 I think the ABs made the right choice in taking Milner-Scudder ahead of Piatau. Dodgey hamstring aside he delivers every time.

I think Milner-Skudder goes ahead of everyone the way he's playing at the minute and Savea wasn't going to miss out with an average of nearly a try a game but its hard to factor in his form for the Blues when pretty much everyone was rubbish for the Blues

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:12 pm

Backrow was about the only thing that gave the Blues a shred of dignity last season, well the back row and George Moala.

Agree on Milner-Scudder be reminds he of Cede Heymans in this prime. A few defences won't be ready for him this world cup a couple more might never be ready.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down