The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anthony Joshua 11-0 v Mike Tyson 11-0

+22
Herman Jaeger
SugarRayBray
Mind the windows Tino.
Rodney
horizontalhero
huw
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Rowley
TopHat24/7
Coxy001
88Chris05
Derbymanc
Strongback
Hammersmith harrier
TRUSSMAN66
John Bloody Wayne
kingraf
AdamT
Dipper Brown
mobilemaster8
catchweight
ONETWOFOREVER
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Anthony Joshua 11-0 v Mike Tyson 11-0 Empty Anthony Joshua 11-0 v Mike Tyson 11-0

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 06 Apr 2015, 3:27 pm

I was thinking the other day that Joshua at this early stage of his career looks like the best prospect I have seen since Mike Tyson. I was too young back in 1985 when Tyson koed Sterling Benjamin in the 1st round but I have seen most of his early fights since on the net or DVD to be impressed by that young heavyweight prospect.

Tyson today would look completely on another planet compared to the lumps in the H/W division. The young Tyson had immense power, devastating speed, and also a well schooled technical ability which enabled him to dominate opponents as the shorter fighter by closing distance with the head roll and throwing combinations behind his quick jab.

Both Tyson and Joshua in their first 11 fights faced less then average opposition and ended their bouts early. Joshua it has to be said looks the part. He is very dedicated and you can tell that by just looking at him. He has a good technical base, quick hands and ko power but what would happen if we put both these 2 prospects in the ring.

Who is you're money on????

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Anthony Joshua 11-0 v Mike Tyson 11-0 Empty Re: Anthony Joshua 11-0 v Mike Tyson 11-0

Post by catchweight Mon 06 Apr 2015, 3:39 pm

Tyson all the way

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Anthony Joshua 11-0 v Mike Tyson 11-0 Empty Re: Anthony Joshua 11-0 v Mike Tyson 11-0

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 06 Apr 2015, 3:51 pm

I'd have to say Tyson as well. Don't get me wrong, Joshua looks absolutely brilliant blowing these guys up and I'm looking forward to him fighting Johnson, but Tyson was just a different animal.

I dont think we will ever see something as ferocious in the heavyweight division ever again.

A 5ft 11 tall fighter demolishing everything with a pulse.

He was utter destruction and one of the most exciting fighters I've seen.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 06 Apr 2015, 3:53 pm

Both fighters had an untested chin tho and I think Joshua can match Tyson for speed.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 06 Apr 2015, 4:36 pm

Probably yes and can see where your coming from.

Was Tyson ever chinny? Saying that, is Joshua?

Soon as I finish work im going rewatch some Tyson

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Mon 06 Apr 2015, 4:52 pm

Tough to say until I see AJ get his chin checked.

Also, it's hard to judge someone on their first 11 fights when you're conscious of what comes later. Personally I've never seen anything as ferocious and early era Tyson, even with the size advantages AJ would possess it's hard to imagine him immune to Tyson's intimidation.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 06 Apr 2015, 6:56 pm

Tyson had a great chin

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 06 Apr 2015, 7:24 pm

Easy this one - Joshua brings some bravery, overall bigness and his patented ramrod jab, and coasts to a late KO.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 06 Apr 2015, 8:07 pm

Obviously impossible to guess given our lack of knowledge on Joshua, but he looks too upright to me, and throwing fast, hard shots against immobile, hapless targets is very different to having a genuinely devastating combination of both.

Reckon Tyson rolls in there easily enough and does his thing at a tempo Joshua can't handle. Early KO for Mike, not a diss on Josh, he's just in with a wee monster.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 06 Apr 2015, 8:12 pm

Kids who weren't around to see the skillful animal that was a young Tyson will probably pick Joshua...

For me watch Tyson v Bruno and that's a carbon copy of this fight...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 06 Apr 2015, 8:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Kids who weren't around to see the skillful animal that was a young Tyson will probably pick Joshua...

For me watch Tyson v Bruno and that's a carbon copy of this fight...

I don't think Joshua holds on as much as Bruno did TRUSS. Joshua has a little nasty edge to him and if Tyson comes out throwing bombs I see AJ trading.

Its interesting that nobody has picked Joshua.

So how close do you see this fight?

Or is this a Tyson blow out if so then that tells me you don't rate AJ as much as we make out on here.

Personally I think Joshua has enough to keep Tyson off from range with his jab but if he stands in front of Tyson then he gets dismantled. Tyson was something else the whole package speed, power, intimidation.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 06 Apr 2015, 8:43 pm

There is a useful tool for that Truss called YouTube, not as if you needed to be around in the 80s to watch Tyson fight.

It's a pointless discussion really as we know what became of Tyson whereas Joshua could fold at world level for all we know.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 06 Apr 2015, 9:08 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:There is a useful tool for that Truss called YouTube, not as if you needed to be around in the 80s to watch Tyson fight.

It's a pointless discussion really as we know what became of Tyson whereas Joshua could fold at world level for all we know.

Of course we know how Tyson developed and Joshua has not progressed yet but its not about what happened or whats to come. They both blew their opponents away their first 11 fights. Both in fantastic condition for heavies and they share great abilities such as speed and power but there is a contrast in styles and we have seen enough of Joshua thus far and we can watch Tyson's first 11 fights to make a match up. Its a good gage imo to see just how good Joshua is but it looks like most just see him as another early Tyson victim which is interesting.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 06 Apr 2015, 9:25 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Both fighters had an untested chin tho and I think Joshua can match Tyson for speed.

Put down the hash pipe son.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 06 Apr 2015, 9:43 pm

Strongback wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Both fighters had an untested chin tho and I think Joshua can match Tyson for speed.

Put down the hash pipe son.

HTF did you know Very Happy Laugh

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 06 Apr 2015, 9:44 pm

I would pick Tyson, obviously!

That's not dissing Joshua, he is a beast but Tyson far too skillful imo

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 06 Apr 2015, 9:51 pm

AdamT wrote:I would pick Tyson, obviously!

That's not dissing Joshua, he is a beast but Tyson far too skillful imo

Both 11 and 0 Adam.

Joshua has not faced anything close to young Mike but I have seen Tyson's first 11 opponents and they were just cannon fodder.

Nobody can tell me HOW Tyson would win which is interesting. Joshua is bigger and has an Olympic gold medal yet you all think Tyson would win in his normal fashion back then.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 06 Apr 2015, 9:53 pm

Tyson, easy win. Too quick with hands and feet and a more complete boxer than Joshua at the same time.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 06 Apr 2015, 10:01 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Tyson, easy win. Too quick with hands and feet and a more complete boxer than Joshua at the same time.

Neither were or are the complete boxer after 11 bouts but you're right in that Tyson's speed would be the factor. Joshua is fast himself, very fast but in his hands not in movement or approach. Tyson was just an all round quick fighter. Everything from movement and footwork he was a man in a hurry and I see him getting in close to Joshua early but from what I have seen of Joshua so far and in the un paid ranks he does not strike me as the holding type but he would return fire he does have that edge to him.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 9:34 am

I think we need Nick Halling to give us a balanced, fair and realistic view on this one.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 10:11 am

He's probably never heard of Tyson..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 10:16 am

I would arguably pick Joshua at this/that point in their respective careers. Tyson was hugely unexposed in terms of opponents, Joshua is a fair distance ahead in that respect. The big question mark over Joshua is his set of whiskers.. and lest we not forget that he carries serious, serious power in both his mitts (the left hand has come on leaps and bounds, the right is an absolute nuclear rocket detonating).

Was Tyson as polished as Joshua was at these respective points in their careers? For me, no. Who was nearer to being the finished article after 11 fights? Joshua for me all the way. Tyson, at that point, was extremely raw and was facing journeymen he could do pretty much what he wanted to. And boy did he do just that, but I don't think he could have handled a guy who after 11 fights was a better fighter than he was.

Would be a cracker of a fight though.

Side note but looking forwards to when he fights Johnson, blasts the spoiler out in a couple then will be impressed. And can't knock him for doing so as "it's just expected" as the guy's gone the distance with Vitali etc.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 10:27 am

Coxy001 wrote:I would arguably pick Joshua at this/that point in their respective careers. Tyson was hugely unexposed in terms of opponents, Joshua is a fair distance ahead in that respect. The big question mark over Joshua is his set of whiskers.. and lest we not forget that he carries serious, serious power in both his mitts (the left hand has come on leaps and bounds, the right is an absolute nuclear rocket detonating).

Was Tyson as polished as Joshua was at these respective points in their careers? For me, no. Who was nearer to being the finished article after 11 fights? Joshua for me all the way. Tyson, at that point, was extremely raw and was facing journeymen he could do pretty much what he wanted to. And boy did he do just that, but I don't think he could have handled a guy who after 11 fights was a better fighter than he was.

Side note but looking forwards to when he fights Johnson, blasts the spoiler out in a couple then will be impressed. And can't knock him for doing so as "it's just expected" as the guy's gone the distance with Vitali etc.

Tyson was unexposed when he fought Berbick.............

Only fought Tillis and Green.......

Wouldn't be a cracker at all...................Tyson's head movement and speed would be way too much for the kid......

Also he'd have to deal with his presence and feared reputation.........

Joshua is Bruno reincarnated...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 10:30 am

After Kingpin, and especially if he does get him out of there (without hometown ref'ing), I think AJ needs to take a bit more of a risk and be thrown in with Tony Thompson.

Plenty of reason that fight would sell and it'd tell us more about AJ than his last 11 fights combined.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 07 Apr 2015, 10:34 am

Not one nationally televised fight at 11-0 for Tyson. You think an Olympic Champion is gonna be psyched out against 19-year old who's faced a steady diet of never weres?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 10:34 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:I would arguably pick Joshua at this/that point in their respective careers. Tyson was hugely unexposed in terms of opponents, Joshua is a fair distance ahead in that respect. The big question mark over Joshua is his set of whiskers.. and lest we not forget that he carries serious, serious power in both his mitts (the left hand has come on leaps and bounds, the right is an absolute nuclear rocket detonating).

Wouldn't be a cracker at all...................Tyson's head movement and speed would be way too much for the kid......

Physically and stylistically I'd agree, but I think they're seperated by their mindsets. AJ is tougher and meaner, IMO.

Still see the fight going much the same way, but I think AJ will be shown to be a different kettle of fish to Bruno psychologically.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 10:36 am

How can anybody say Joshua is meaner than Tyson...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 10:54 am

As others have alluded to, I'd have to go with Tyson simply because picking Joshua requires too big a leap of faith.

If you want to get pinickity about whose opponents have had better win-loss ratios after eleven fights then sure, you could argue that Joshua has some kind of edge. But in terms of time elapsed, an 11-0 Tyson was only about twelve to eighteen months away from showing the kind of form which eventually solidified him as one of the all-time great Heavyweights and had people comparing him to the likes of Louis and Ali.

No doubt that Tyson improved between his eleventh fight and his twenty-eighth when he blasted Berbick out, as any rookie professional should do in those circumstances; the Tillis fight, for instance, showed that he was still a work in progress to some degree (Tillis was basically one lapse in concentration away from a draw in that one, which some would argue he was still decent value for regardless). But his incredibly rapid rise to the top of the division during that period suggests to me a fighter who certainly could have handled bigger and better tests than his team were providing for him at that 11-0 stage, so arguing Joshua's case on who they've got on their records at respective stages doesn't really work, for me.

Joshua has size and has so far demonstrated fundamentals, heavy hands etc but unlike Tyson he doesn't have that little bit of something different about him. Tyson brought a different kind of style and dimension to the ring that you see a lot less of in the Heavyweights. Joshua's done everything right so far and is a talent but Tyson by the 11-0 point in his career was not far away from developing in to one of the most formiddable-looking Heavyweight champions ever. Tyson by TKO in the middle to late stages.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:00 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Guess we'll find out if:

A) He has a tank on him to keep fighting at a frantic pace

B) Has a chin

C) Won't be intimidated by certain opponents

D) Go in to his shell

E) Take a knee when hurt

And Tyson would have to deal with a guy with a much better jab and enormous power that Joshua has AFTER 11 FIGHTS. Tyson had fought guys with an overall W/L record of 58-61, more so he was fighting club fighters. Joshua has fought a much better level of opposition whose overall records reads 218-119. The massive point you're missing is that after 11 fights Joshua was ahead of where Tyson was in terms of progression in career, experience and having to apply a bit more nous and skill than was involved in banging out the club fighters Tyson was fighting.

Tyson would have been stepping up levels to face Joshua, one has been facing journeymen the other facing club fighters. If you didn't know what Tyson would become then Joshua would have been the betting favourite - that is just totally undeniable. No doubt you'll try though.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:02 am

88Chris05 wrote:As others have alluded to, I'd have to go with Tyson simply because picking Joshua requires too big a leap of faith..

And picking a guy who was fighting club fighters after 11 fights isn't a jump of faith? The article isn't about Tyson of 20+ fights, it's about them meeting at that respective points in their careers.

Joshua would've been the betting favourite. It's not a leap of faith as Joshua is massive, has a piston of a jab and can seriously seriously whack with both hands. As I've just mentioned he'd be a step up for Tyson if we pay attention to the article which is them meeting for their 12th fight each.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:03 am

Tyson showcased the same skillset in his first 11 fights he showed later on.........

Unfortunately I think the most watched fights are Lewis-Tyson......Holy-Tyson and Douglas-Tyson.......It gives those that wern't around a false idea of Tyson's capability.....

For me he's pushing the top 10 ATG list especially as Dempsey is there..........

I'd give 86/87 Tyson a chance to beat almost every other Heavy in history bar Ali at his best....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:06 am

The 11 fight thing and who he had or hadn't fought by then is a bit of a red herring with Tyson. Cus has him fighting in and around the semi legal smokers in New York on a pretty regular basis and was paying for sparring for him from 15 year old. I would argue his skill set and experience was way beyond what his record may have suggested at the time.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:08 am

Coxy001 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Guess we'll find out if:

A) He has a tank on him to keep fighting at a frantic pace

B) Has a chin

C) Won't be intimidated by certain opponents

D) Go in to his shell

E) Take a knee when hurt

And Tyson would have to deal with a guy with a much better jab and enormous power that Joshua has AFTER 11 FIGHTS. Tyson had fought guys with an overall W/L record of 58-61, more so he was fighting club fighters. Joshua has fought a much better level of opposition whose overall records reads 218-119. The massive point you're missing is that after 11 fights Joshua was ahead of where Tyson was in terms of progression in career, experience and having to apply a bit more nous and skill than was involved in banging out the club fighters Tyson was fighting.

Tyson would have been stepping up levels to face Joshua, one has been facing journeymen the other facing club fighters. If you didn't know what Tyson would become then Joshua would have been the betting favourite - that is just totally undeniable. No doubt you'll try though.

Bruno had one of the best jabs in the heavyweight division.............

Kept two of the best heavies of the last 30 years Lewis and Witherspoon on the end of it...........

Joshua could only dream of having Bruno's jab at this present time.........

Bruno had decent heavies around him................If he was around now he'd be undisputed heavy champ...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:14 am

Rowley wrote:The 11 fight thing and who he had or hadn't fought by then is a bit of a red herring with Tyson. Cus has him fighting in and around the semi legal smokers in New York on a pretty regular basis and was paying for sparring for him from 15 year old. I would argue his skill set and experience was way beyond what his record may have suggested at the time.

With the ease that Joshua is having with dispatching a level of opponent above what Tyson was facing then you could hang your coat on the same hook for him as well.

I'm not saying Joshua would win every time, it just grinds my gears that this is a foregone conclusion when the lad is showing a serious amount of potential. As mentioned, if he bangs Johnson out of there then the hyperbole will really start to kick in to overdrive. I seriously rate the guy, BUT we don't know about his whiskers, if he has a tank on him and whether he can handle adversity - if he can then we may have someone special on our hands. Vice a versa he could do a Haye with Thompson i.e. try and blast him out then be blowing out of his arse by round 4 and get knocked out.

Tyson arguably learnt more against the guys who didn't rollover, he did look less comfortable in those fights as well. Joshua doesn't strike me as someone who would be mentally shot before they even entered the ring, he has his own aura that whoever he fights is going to be licking the canvas.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:17 am

You can't hang the same coat on him you idiot.....

Because Tyson is proven............Thomas, Biggs, Holmes, Bruno, Williams were all talented heavyweights.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:19 am

I reckon BJS first 11 opponents were better than Michael Nunn's........

BJS points...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:22 am

The 'leap of faith' I'm referring to is due to the fact that we know that Tyson was well on his way to being a great fighter at that point, Coxy. Hindsight helps. We know with Tyson, whereas we're only guessing with Joshua. You're getting obsessed with how a potential fight would have been viewed had they both hit 11-0 in 1985 which requires ignoring where Tyson would go on to be twelve months further down the line. You can't seriously expect us to ignore it or not take it in to the equation here, thirty years on.

What do the bookies odds in 1985 (which are only a work of imagination in any case) have to do with anything? We're talking about who we think would win if they'd been pitched together when they were both eleven fights in. The win:loss ration of Joshua's first eleven opponents might read better but that doesn't mean anything here, for me. Neither had to show any nous, adaptation skills, patience etc to roll through their first eleven fights so I doubt Joshua has been that much more hardened and refined through that period than Tyson was.

Tyson was establishing himself as one of the great Heavies not all that long after that point and it's fanciful to suggest, given how quickly he rose to the top, that there wasn't already a hell of a lot of potential and ability already there in an 11-0 version. A more unique talent than Joshua in my opinion and regardless of meaningless statistics, I'd take an 11-0 Tyson to give Wladimir a better argument today than Joshua would.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:25 am

Missing the point as usual Truss, it's a pointless match up as opinions are swayed by fights that have no relevance.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:25 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You can't hang the same coat on him you idiot.....

Because Tyson is proven............Thomas, Biggs, Holmes, Bruno, Williams were all talented heavyweights.........

Yes you can. Idiot.

The ruddy article is about the 11-0 versions of both fighters. Christ, it isn't hard to digest the points I've made without ignoring the point of the debate and start including fighters after 11-0.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:26 am

Coxy hasn't seen Tyson's first 11 fights Chris..........

You know it......I know it...........He knows it........

Some idiot on here thinks Joshua is meaner than a guy that tried to shove Ferguson's nose through his brain.....Bit a guy's ear off........Tried to take Bruno's head off when he was down...............and would have willingly killed Marvis frazier..........

That's when he wasn't smacking guy's out in launderettes at 4am and saying things like "If he's not dead it doesn't count"..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:30 am

Joshua is mean vs guys that can't hit him.

We will see how he reacts when someone hits him square on the jaw.

It is only a guess but I reckon Joshua will have chin and stamina issues.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:31 am

Coxy001 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You can't hang the same coat on him you idiot.....

Yes you can. Idiot.

The ruddy article is about the 11-0 versions of both fighters. Christ, it isn't hard to digest the points I've made without ignoring the point of the debate and start including fighters after 11-0.

But it helps If you've seen Tyson fight those fights..........Coxy

How can you not bring Tyson's later career into it ??.............

Because his qualities are his qualities..............They were prevalent throughout...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:40 am

88Chris05 wrote:I'd take an 11-0 Tyson to give Wladimir a better argument today than Joshua would.

As you mentioned that's a hindsight approach. Tyson at that point wasn't a massively known name (if he was then footage would be more readily available when he was pretty much fighting in clubs), wasn't ranked and would have been the underdog by going up against a guy who'd beaten a better calibre of opponent at that respective points in their careers.

If you strip out said hindsight approach and Tyson was the next opponent for Joshua I very much doubt you'd all be calling this the way some of you are. It would be a guy who's 11-0 and fought club fighters who can bang big time vs. a guy who's going to be fighting for a world title inside 5/6 fights.

Tyson wouldn't have had the freedom to steam roll Joshua either. Longer levers, quick for a guy (who's much bigger than him) and can deter most with serious power. As mentioned the whiskers/tank thing is something we don't know about AJ yet, if he batters for Johnson for 10 rounds and then has punches bounce off him from someone like Arreola next up then this argument (with hindsight) Tyson runs all over him at 13-0 suddenly becomes a lot more diverse in terms of the debate.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:42 am

Coxy001 wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:I'd take an 11-0 Tyson to give Wladimir a better argument today than Joshua would.

As you mentioned that's a hindsight approach. Tyson at that point wasn't a massively known name (if he was then footage would be more readily available when he was pretty much fighting in clubs), wasn't ranked and would have been the underdog by going up against a guy who'd beaten a better calibre of opponent at that respective points in their careers.

If you strip out said hindsight approach and Tyson was the next opponent for Joshua I very much doubt you'd all be calling this the way some of you are. It would be a guy who's 11-0 and fought club fighters who can bang big time vs. a guy who's going to be fighting for a world title inside 5/6 fights.

Tyson wouldn't have had the freedom to steam roll Joshua either. Longer levers, quick for a guy (who's much bigger than him) and can deter most with serious power. As mentioned the whiskers/tank thing is something we don't know about AJ yet, if he batters for Johnson for 10 rounds and then has punches bounce off him from someone like Arreola next up then this argument (with hindsight) Tyson runs all over him at 13-0 suddenly becomes a lot more diverse in terms of the debate.

You could use the same logic for all fights like this..............

No one had heard of Robinson after 11 fights.............Does that mean we forget his later career and pick some 11-0 pro who has feasted on slobs to beat him....

Your argument is flawed..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:43 am

How can you not bring Tyson's later career into it ??.............

Because that's the title of the thread....?

"Anthony Joshua 11-0 v Mike Tyson 11-0"

I'm playing devils advocate that if Joshua were to lose to an American who was 5'11, 11-0 with 11 stoppages but hadn't fought any level of oppo we'd all be screaming blue murder that AJ was indeed a hype job and it's a career ending loss as he can't get by such guys.

As AdamT has mentioned and I alluded to we need a few more answers to make more solid decisions that Tyson/AJ would win. When we find out he has whiskers/gets thumped himself/doesn't gas after 6 frenetic rounds then this fight at say 15-0(15) becomes more dubious to call as most wouldn't be relying on hindsight.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:44 am

No one had heard of Robinson after 11 fights.............Does that mean we forget his later career and pick some 11-0 pro who has feasted on slobs to beat him....

Your argument is flawed..

Or you're not paying attention to the title of the thread.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:47 am

Feel this is a silly argument as hindsight/foresight just makes this too difficult

Yes TRUSS you can say that about any fight but these two are obviously both super talented even so early into their careers

Joshua is bigger, older, i'd imagine fitter and has power in both hands. Tyson is more explosive, the better mover footwork and upper body and has the relentless aggression to unsettle anyone.

If joshua can survive early i'd say his jab and natural size helps him control it late as tyson tires, but have no idea if Joshua would actually survive untill the gets tested

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:49 am

Quite strange this time thread. Not least because it's seen Chris try explain away all of Tyson's shortcomings.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:49 am

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Feel this is a silly argument as hindsight/foresight just makes this too difficult

Yes TRUSS you can say that about any fight but these two are obviously both super talented even so early into their careers

Joshua is bigger, older, i'd imagine fitter and has power in both hands. Tyson is more explosive, the better mover footwork and upper body and has the relentless aggression to unsettle anyone.

If joshua can survive early i'd say his jab and natural size helps him control it late as tyson tires, but have no idea if Joshua would actually survive untill the gets tested

Joshua is super talented ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:54 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Feel this is a silly argument as hindsight/foresight just makes this too difficult

Joshua is super talented ??

You dont think so, very good jab, good balance, huge right hand, improving left, athletic, has a great variety of shots and improving defence. Pretty safe to assume hes a talented fighter, hence why so many people think he can step it up and fast track himself

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next