The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monte Carlo Masters thread

+22
greengoblin
CaledonianCraig
CAS
Henman Bill
Guest82
Belovedluckyboy
LuvSports!
Josiah Maiestas
socal1976
yloponom68
TRuffin
kingraf
Calder106
Matchpoint
Jahu
HM Murdock
summerblues
laverfan
Haddie-nuff
Silver
temporary21
It Must Be Love
26 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Monte Carlo Masters thread  - Page 3 Empty Monte Carlo Masters thread

Post by It Must Be Love Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.montecarlorolexmasters.mc

All the top players are playing, with the exception of Andy Murray, who's busy getting married.

Beautiful tournament, love scenery, and a nice start to the European Clay Court season.

Monte Carlo Masters thread  - Page 3 Mc71-112

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Monte Carlo Masters thread  - Page 3 Empty Re: Monte Carlo Masters thread

Post by biugo Wed 15 Apr 2015, 3:09 pm

And Rafa has a new racket  - arguably to provide him with more lift and power...  Shocked He will be even more of a nightmare for the opponents on slower courts!

And I agree with HB and don't buy Nadal's self criticism. Yes it feels indeed different this year (imo mostly because of last year's performances) but he's the kid who shouts "fire!". We've heard it so many times that it doesn't compute as a new information. (like other statements: Nadal knees will stop him, Federer is good for retirement, etc.) Of course, it's bound to be true at some point, like a broken watch indicates the right time twice a day.

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 15 Apr 2015, 3:36 pm

Easy day for the big names. I thought Federer would struggle at some point against Chardy but he went through seamlessly. Youngest player left in MC is Dimitrov at 23 and he's been around the main tour 6 years now..
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 15 Apr 2015, 3:46 pm

greengoblin wrote:I believe the key to djokovic beating nadal on clay is his backhand down the line, but its just been so dodgy for the last 3 years. You could see in the RG final last year he lost confidence in his backhand and the final slipped away from him.
That shot is the big difference between 2011 Djokovic and 2015 Djokovic.

I think every other aspect of Novak's game has improved but, bizarrely, his kill shot seems to have all but vanished.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed 15 Apr 2015, 5:03 pm

Rafa has a new racquet? That's reasonably big news if it's a significant deviation from his old one. It certainly didn't slow him down at all today though.

The Swiss both looked good, Novak too. Easy day, as JM said.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Wed 15 Apr 2015, 5:22 pm

Apparently it's a prototype with a wider gap between strings, hence less control but more power and lift created (that's why Rafa isn't so great indoors, his lifts keep bumping onto the roof...)

All top 16 through bar Gulbis, easy day for the big guys indeed.
So to QF, all top 8 through but one: which top 8 seed doesn't make it to QF? Cilic would be the best guess imo - but Roger could bee a question mark as Monfils is capable of great things.

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Wed 15 Apr 2015, 6:32 pm

Also Rafa is using the Babolat thingy with USB transfer to get the stats after the match, it has a blinking LED at the base of the racquet, at least it had it on IW/Miami.

OK confirmed its a Smart Racquet:

Nadal confirms he changed racquet, not strings. Thought of this for a while and now racquet ready. More spin and power, less control.

So even more spin, bit desperate?

It's ok, anything legally is fine, as far as he can trash Djoko Laugh
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Wed 15 Apr 2015, 8:00 pm

Congrats to Djoko fans:

"Novak Djokovic wins Laureus Award for sportsman of the year" Bubbly
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by greengoblin Wed 15 Apr 2015, 10:39 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
greengoblin wrote:I believe the key to djokovic beating nadal on clay is his backhand down the line, but its just been so dodgy for the last 3 years. You could see in the RG final last year he lost confidence in his backhand and the final slipped away from him.

I think every other aspect of Novak's game has improved but, bizarrely, his kill shot seems to have all but vanished.

Yeah I'm no expert in technique but it seems he doesn't push through that shot smoothly like a Nalbandian would; it's a lot more jerky, which causes timing issues. What's your take?

greengoblin

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 15 Apr 2015, 11:10 pm

He isn't as good at hitting that shot.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 16 Apr 2015, 2:55 am

biugo wrote:And Rafa has a new racket
Your post was the first I heard about it.  Is this the first tournament ever he is playing with it or has he tried it before?  Was it advertised beforehand or has it come out of the blue?

Quite intriguing.

Looking forward to the next three months - my favorite stretch on the tennis calendar.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Thu 16 Apr 2015, 8:27 am

summerblues wrote:
biugo wrote:And Rafa has a new racket
Your post was the first I heard about it.  Is this the first tournament ever he is playing with it or has he tried it before?  Was it advertised beforehand or has it come out of the blue?

Quite intriguing.

Looking forward to the next three months - my favorite stretch on the tennis calendar.

It was indeed the first tournament where he's playing with it, as it wasn't ready early enough for other tournaments - so pretty much out of the blue I guess. He talked about it in his presser after his game at MC.

http://rafaelnadalfans.com/2015/04/15/rafael-nadal-new-babolat-racquet-monte-carlo-racket-2015-nueva-raqueta-de-nadal/
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/rafael-nadal-new-racket-racquet-monte-carlo-babolat-spin-control-power

«No cambio la raqueta desde hace mucho tiempo, ya no recuerdo cuándo. Es un cambio para tratar de conseguir más efectos. Los agujeros entre las cuerdas son un poco más grandes que en la otra. Es cierto que con esta nueva raqueta probablemente tengo menos control. En teoría, consigo más potencia y más efectos»

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 16 Apr 2015, 8:49 am

greengoblin wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Yeah I'm no expert in technique but it seems he doesn't push through that shot smoothly like a Nalbandian would; it's a lot more jerky, which causes timing issues. What's your take?
Assessment of technique is really not my forte, but it's my impression that he's simply not hitting the shot as much.

I don't get the sense that he's going for it and messing it up, he just doesn't seem to take the shot on. If he goes down the line, then it's nearly always to set up another shot rather than a winner in its own right.

Which is surprising because winners gushed from that shot in 2011.

I'd like to know if he is avoiding it because he is less confident on it or whether it has become tactically less important to him. He seems more confident in his forehand as an attacking weapon nowadays, which may be a factor.

But it's a strange choice to abandon such a potent shot.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Thu 16 Apr 2015, 9:00 am

Cant stand Chris Chase! What does he mean by false modesty? Rafa must always be favorite on clay, despite him losing to players he own all along on clay, and despite him narrowly beating an injured opponent to win a title?

Rafa has won three out of the last seven clay tournaments he played, compared to 5 in 7 or 4 in 5 all along. I mean he's not allowed to decline with age or injury and must always be favorite on clay? On the one hand almost everyone is saying that Rafa is in the worst form of his career and is in the decline, yet they dont believe that Rafa is no longer the favorite on clay; still they talk of dangerous opponents like Isner, Ferrer and Novak defeating him on clay!

Many of his fans are not that optimistic, though they hope that Rafa is the favorite in every clay court match that he plays. I do hope Rafa proves that he's still a force to reckon with decline or no decline.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Thu 16 Apr 2015, 9:04 am

Anyway its Rafa's intention to change his racket as early as at the beginning of the season and not a desparate move after doing poorly at the slow HC season ending at Miami.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Thu 16 Apr 2015, 9:16 am

I doubt Novak feels that the BHDTL shot is not that important. I feel hes not that confident hitting that shot now for whatever reason(s). Novak doesn't hit his FH the way Rafa and Fed do, ie they do hit their FHs CC I/O quite often, or even DTL at their BH corner (though Rafa does it more often than Fed). So, the BH DTL shot is important to Novak.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 16 Apr 2015, 9:23 am

Could Monfils upset Fed today? Anything's possible with Gael who really has, IMHO, under-performed for a man of his ability. We could get a blistering performance, or an ultra-defensive one with the Frenchman, as his wont, disappearing miles behind the baseline.
This is a guy with enough talent to have been top five constantly in the last few years. Seems more intent on being a showman rather that a winning tennis player.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Matchpoint Thu 16 Apr 2015, 9:38 am

biugo wrote:
Es cierto que con esta nueva raqueta probablemente tengo menos control. En teoría, consigo más potencia y más

"It's certain with this new racquet I have probably LESS control. In theory, with it MORE potential and MORE (results)". ???

Something doesn't add up there. Headscratch

Matchpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Matchpoint Thu 16 Apr 2015, 9:39 am

Monfils loves to show off especially in front of home audience. A tough one coming up for Federer.

Matchpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Thu 16 Apr 2015, 9:49 am

More power and more spin but less control.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Thu 16 Apr 2015, 10:31 am

What happens to Stan? Not his usual self.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 16 Apr 2015, 10:46 am

Wow Stan battered 6-1 6-2 by dimi Sad

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 16 Apr 2015, 10:56 am

Anyone see any of the Dimi-Stan match? Was Stan below par or did Dimi play well ? Stats on serve for Stan look awful. In any event, really good win for Dimi. Could kick start his season.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Thu 16 Apr 2015, 11:07 am

Stan played awfully and Dimi played well enough to win.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 16 Apr 2015, 11:47 am

Wake up Fedddd, wtf move it on.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 16 Apr 2015, 11:50 am

Feds joining his mate Stanley back to the Swiss countryside. No way he comes back from a set down playing like he is.. Zzz
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:58 pm

Monfils takes it on a tb! What a match, Fed played pretty well and Monfils turned up today. One of Le Monfs best performances.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:01 pm

Prediction:
Nadal will win more points per tournament on average in the North American hard court swing in the summer than the European clay court season.

Not a jinx, because my prediction leaves him to do well or badly in either season- but I think he'll do comparatively better on the north american swing.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:01 pm

Forgetful tournament with both Swiss out, it's all up to Dimitrov to save the face of tennis which is, very unlikely picard
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:03 pm

Well at the moment Novak is the face of mens tennis, with him and Nadal paying well, the prospect of a semi final blockbuster is well worth sticking about.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:09 pm

Federer slowly Faderer.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:25 pm

Nah. Clay is just tougher for him now.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:25 pm

Look at Dubai & IW.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:28 pm

Reckon Monfils missed his best chance to win a Slam last year in New York. Really should have closed the show against Federer, and I would have fancied his chances against Cilic and Nishikori with the New York crowd at his back.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:30 pm

IMBL - Its well within reason for the summer North American swing to be more fruitful for Rafa than the European clay swing. He's on a 17-match win streak there, and he's got a 20-1 record at the Open since the turn of the millennium
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:32 pm

laverfan wrote:Federer slowly Faderer.

Is that not a bit harsh laverfan ....??

Not sure just how many other guys on the tour (ie other than undisputed No 1 Djoko of course ....) can currently boast a better early season W/L ratio than the old man .... so does that mean everyone else is fading even faster ; OR ....are you saying he is fading when measured against his own once-mercurial standards.....?? I would certainly agree with the latter.

A bad loss when seen in the context of the early season, and the race to London. He will be depressed by this. Came into MC declaring himself in good shape, well-rested, and seemingly trouble-free. Was moving extremely well yesterday v Chardy, and as comfortable on clay as we have seen him in recent years - even if Chardy did not provide as much of a test as he (sometimes) can do. Federer's 1st serve percentage dropped from 76 to 52, total serve points won down from 71% to 59%, and return points won showed similar dips.

Full credit to Monfils clap

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:50 pm

Nice, good win for Monfils and a fantastic one for Dimi. What on earth was up with Stan? He's in freefall at the moment, must surely be nearly out of the top 10 after this.

Not too surprised at Federer losing, but I am surprised he lost in two. Good job Gael clap  big opportunities for everyone on that side of the draw now.

Rafa on serve against Big John...

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:53 pm

If Cilic loses today and Dimi doesn't go far, Stan will stay ninth.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Thu 16 Apr 2015, 2:02 pm

I wonder what Rafa is doing, why is he hitting CC right back at Isner? Make him moves, Isner is not a good mover on clay!

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Thu 16 Apr 2015, 2:05 pm

kingraf wrote:IMBL - Its well within reason for the summer North American swing to be more fruitful for Rafa than the European clay swing. He's on a 17-match win streak there, and he's got a 20-1 record at the Open since the turn of the millennium
Yep, that's what I think too.
Nadal is probably better these days on outdoor hard court than on clay.

However playing on clay itself, with the memories it brings, may give him a mental boost to confidece.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Thu 16 Apr 2015, 2:17 pm

Yes! VAMOS! First set in the bag. Come on Rafa, take it in two sets!

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 16 Apr 2015, 2:18 pm

The guy who does EVERYTHING he can to get an advantage wins the set. Hopefully Ferrer will teach him tennis next round but I doubt it.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 16 Apr 2015, 2:18 pm

Belovedluckyboy wrote:Yes! VAMOS! First set in the bag. Come on Rafa, take it in two sets!
Mr Sycophant
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 16 Apr 2015, 2:42 pm

Wow, this tournament is really getting going. Some notable wins for Monfils, Dimitrov and Raonic. Although Raonic is 4 to Robredo's 16 in ranking/seeding, I thought this would be close, and even thought Robredo might nick it on clay.

Dimitrov-Monfils could be a good one, but so far it doesn't like ESPN is going to show any highlgihts or repeats in the evening, so I haven't seen any matches yet. It's live tennis only during the working day. At least I work from home incase anything looks really awesome.

Last edited by Henman Bill on Thu 16 Apr 2015, 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Thu 16 Apr 2015, 2:44 pm

JM, what advantage are you talking about? I see no advantage given to Rafa. Don't be so sour when Fed lost!

Please don't call me names, I like Rafa that's all. I'm a Ms, not Mr btw.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 16 Apr 2015, 2:50 pm

Don't feed the trolls!

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Thu 16 Apr 2015, 3:02 pm

Disappointing second set by Rafa, played so tentatively when he had 3 BP chances to take to lead to 5-4. Why such nerve at crucial moments and played so passively? Who says Rafa is favorite on clay??

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 16 Apr 2015, 3:10 pm

lags72 wrote:
laverfan wrote:Federer slowly Faderer.

Is that not a bit harsh laverfan ....??

Not sure just how many other guys on the tour (ie other than undisputed No 1 Djoko of course ....) can currently boast a better early season W/L ratio than the old man .... so does that mean everyone else is fading even faster ; OR ....are you saying he is fading when measured against his own once-mercurial standards.....?? I would certainly agree with the latter.

A bad loss when seen in the context of the early season, and the race to London. He will be depressed by this. Came into MC declaring himself in good shape, well-rested, and seemingly trouble-free. Was moving extremely well yesterday v Chardy, and as comfortable on clay as we have seen him in recent years - even if Chardy did not provide as much of a test as he (sometimes) can do. Federer's 1st serve percentage dropped from 76 to 52, total serve points won down from 71% to 59%, and return points won showed similar dips.

Full credit to Monfils clap

It is definitely harsh. Monfils can rally all day long, and Federer left his brains in the locker room, and wanted to slug it out from the base line on clay. Very predictable first set. Second set was Russian roulette (and always is in 3-setters) and the Old Man lost it. Even Ferrer has a good W/L.

It is very rare to see Federer struggling in the first set. Even at 2-2 in second set, the writing was on the wall. There were 5+ deuces and 2-3 Bps, IIRC.

Chardy has beaten Federer at Rome, IIRC.

Monfils has/had a game plan, which came from Clement and was on the table at the DC final, the same pattern was played out today.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 16 Apr 2015, 3:14 pm

How did Isner break? Agressive play/Rafa errors? Has there been only 1 break in the match?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Thu 16 Apr 2015, 3:18 pm

Only one break despite all the BPs. Isner played well to break serve but Rafa didnt and wasted 3 BP chances at crucial moments.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Thu 16 Apr 2015, 3:19 pm

that was poor from Fed, he was just rallying with Monfils trying to out backhand him, he just can't winners off that side on clay against a player like Gael. There was a bit of a collapse from 5-3 with 3 UEs, just disappointing overall.

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next