The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Rugby Champions Cup Final, 2 May

+25
Eejit
brennomac
kunu
PenfroPete
beshocked
wales606
ME-109
Sgt_Pooly
whocares
wolfball
nathan
Rory_Gallagher
LeinsterFan4life
Rugby Fan
yappysnap
LondonTiger
Notch
doctor_grey
dubh_linn
Jenifer McLadyboy
LordDowlais
funnyExiledScot
RDW
Cyril
George Carlin
29 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

European Rugby Champions Cup Final, 2 May Empty European Rugby Champions Cup Final, 2 May

Post by George Carlin Mon 20 Apr 2015, 9:58 am

European Rugby Champions Cup Final, 2 May Clermo11                           European Rugby Champions Cup Final, 2 May Toulon11
ASM Clermont Auvergne v RC Toulon
Saturday 2 May 2015
KO 17:00
Twickenham Stadium

Referee Nigel Owens (Wales)European Rugby Champions Cup Final, 2 May Worshi11
Touch Judge 1 Wayne Barnes (England)
Touch Judge 2 George Clancy (Ireland)
Fourth Official JP Doyle (England)
TMO Graham Hughes (England)

Citing Commissioner Jeff Mark (Wales)

Live on telly somewhere

Form:

ASM Clermont Auvergne
18/04/15 - ASM Clermont 13 - 9 Saracens
04/04/15 - ASM Clermont 37 - 5 Saints
25/01/15 - ASM Clermont 18 - 6 Saracens

RC Toulon
19/04/15 - Toulon 25 - 20 Leinster
05/04/15 - Toulon 32 - 18 Wasps
24/01/15 - Scarlets 3 - 26 Toulon

Teams:

ASM Clermont Auvergne
European Rugby Champions Cup Final, 2 May Damien10
Abendanon; Nakaitaci, Davies, Fofana, Nalaga; Lopez, Parra, Debaty, Kayser, Zirakashvili, Cudmore, Vahaamahina, Bonnaire, Chouly, Lee.

Replacements: Delany for Nakaitaci (67), Rougerie for Nalaga (54), Radosavljevic for Parra (56), Domingo for Debaty (47), Ulugia for Kayser (63), Ric for Zirakashvili (66), Pierre for Vahaamahina (67), Bardy for Lee (54).

RC Toulon
European Rugby Champions Cup Final, 2 May Carl_h10
Halfpenny; Mitchell, Bastareaud, J Hernandez, Habana; Giteau, Tillous-Borde; Chiocci, Guirado, Hayman, Botha, Williams, J Smith, S Armitage, Masoe.

Replacements: Wulf for J. Hernandez (66), Menini for Chiocci (48), Orioli for Guirado (63), Chilachava for Hayman (63), Taofifenua for Botha (47), Fernandez Lobbe for J Smith (58).

Not Used: Bruni, Michalak.

Last edited by George Carlin on Sun 03 May 2015, 9:55 am; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

European Rugby Champions Cup Final, 2 May Empty Re: European Rugby Champions Cup Final, 2 May

Post by Cyril Mon 20 Apr 2015, 12:21 pm

Hoping for a good one Smile

The two best sides in Europe both had tricky semi-finals but their class showed through in the end. Both can play good rugby when they want/are allowed to. Will Clermont choke again and can Toulon get above 2nd gear? They seem to have been coasting for most of this tournament - which is scary for everyone else!

Not sure who I want to win. Kinda want Clermont to break their duck but it would be pretty impressive for Toulon to get an unprecedented third straight title.

I reckon Jonny's Toulon by 5.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

European Rugby Champions Cup Final, 2 May Empty Re: European Rugby Champions Cup Final, 2 May

Post by George Carlin Thu 23 Apr 2015, 8:19 am

Clearly everyone is rabidly excited about this game. Tumbleweed

Here's the official preview for the seven of you out there who give a poop:
World rugby stars clash in Europe's elite final

The meeting of ASM Clermont Auvergne and RC Toulon in next month's Champions Cup final marks the first time in the 20-year history of the tournament that a final pairing has been repeated. Toulon defeated Clermont 16-15 in the 2013 decider at Dublin's Aviva Stadium.

At Twickenham in a fortnight's time, Toulon will emulate Toulouse's record of appearing in three consecutive finals. In 2003, Toulouse defeated Perpignan, they lost the following season against Wasps and then won the title again in 2005 against Stade Francais Paris.

The 41,500 that witnessed Clermont's victory over Saracens at Stade Geoffroy-Guichard was a record for a tournament semi-final in France - surpassing the 41,000 attendance for the Stade Francais v Biarritz game at the Parc des Princes in 2005. It was also the biggest attendance for any game at the Saint-Etienne venue.

Toulon are bidding to become the first club to win European club rugby's elite tournament three years in succession.

This will be the fifth tournament final at Twickenham Stadium. The previous winners were: 2000 Northampton Saints, 2004 and 2007 Wasps, 2012 Leinster Rugby.

This will be Toulon's fifth appearance in a European final in the space of six seasons. They lost to Cardiff Blues in the 2010 Challenge Cup decider, lost again in the Challenge Cup to Biarritz Olympique in 2012 and now will be playing in a third European Cup final in a row.

Toulon's victory over Leinster at the Stade Velodrome yesterday was the third time that a tournament semi-final was decided after extra-time. In 1998, Toulouse went through on try count against Brive, and in 2009, Leicester Tigers edged past Cardiff Blues after a penalty shoot-out.

When Clermont run out at Twickenham, they will be playing in their fifth European final. As Montferrand, they appeared in the Challenge Cup final in 1999 (defeating Bourgoin 35-16) and again in 2004 when they lost to Harlequins. As ASM Clermont Auvergne, they were back in the Challenge Cup final again in 2007 (22-16 winners over Bath Rugby) and then they lost to next month's rivals, Toulon, in the 2013 Heineken Cup final.

Next month's showpiece game will be the fifth all-French final: 2003 Toulouse 22 Perpignan 17; 2005 Toulouse 18 Stade Francais 12; 2010 Toulouse 21 Biarritz Olympique 19; 2013 Toulon 16 Clermont 15.

If Clermont are successful on Saturday, 2 May, they will become the 10th club to win European club rugby's elite tournament.

Toulon have now won all 16 of their matches in European club rugby's top flight on French soil.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 23 Apr 2015, 8:43 am

It is a shame it is the two big spending French teams in the final - I'm really not that fussed about it!

It is a bit ridiculous when you see Clermont as the poor underdog out of the two going up against the rich Goliath that is Toulon.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 23 Apr 2015, 4:09 pm

Tumbleweed

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 23 Apr 2015, 4:14 pm

This is not where it is at, if you want excitement and a big crowd, and value for money and two good games of rugby for a tenner, then head to Cardiff on Saturday, you will not be disappointed.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 23 Apr 2015, 4:19 pm

Well, I'm looking forward to the game anyway raspberry

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 23 Apr 2015, 4:21 pm

Could be a good game in the stoop?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 23 Apr 2015, 4:24 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Could be a good game in the stoop?

Quite right. The "proper" final.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by dubh_linn Sat 02 May 2015, 12:05 pm

anybody know what the team selections are?

dubh_linn

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 02 May 2015, 12:08 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:It is a shame it is the two big spending French teams in the final - I'm really not that fussed about it!

It is a bit ridiculous when you see Clermont as the poor underdog out of the two going up against the rich Goliath that is Toulon.
I agree it's humourous to describe Clermont as an underdog. How can anyone be an underdog when the team is operated and funded essentially by the Michelin company?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 02 May 2015, 12:15 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:It is a shame it is the two big spending French teams in the final - I'm really not that fussed about it!

I agree it's humourous to describe Clermont as an underdog.  How can anyone be an underdog when the team is operated and funded essentially by the Michelin company?  

Well I for one welcome our new corporate overdogs!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 02 May 2015, 12:23 pm

dubh_linn wrote:anybody know what the team selections are?

Clermont Auvergne Toulon

Team  Team
15Nick Abendanon 15Leigh Halfpenny
14Noa Nakaitaci 14Drew Mitchell
13Jonathan Davies 13Mathieu Bastareaud
12Wesley Fofana 12Juan Martin Hernandez
11Napolioni Nalaga 11Bryan Habana
10Brock James 10Matt Giteau
9Morgan Parra 9Sebastien Tillous-Borde
1Vincent Debaty 1Xavier Chiocci
2Benjamin Kayser 2Guilhem Guirado
3David Zirakashvili 3Carl Hayman
4Jamie Cudmore 4Bakkies Botha
5Sebastien Vahaamahina 5Ali Williams
6Julien Bonnaire 6Juan Smith
7Damien Chouly 7Steffon Armitage
8Fritz Lee 8Chris Masoe
 Replacements  Replacements
16John Ulugia 16Jean Charles Orioli
17Thomas Domingo 17Alexandre Menini
18Clement Ric 18Levan Chilachava
19Julien Pierre 19Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe
20Julien Bardy 20Virgile Bruni
21Ludovic Radosavljevic 21Rudi Wulf
22Camille Lopez 22Frederic Michalak
23Aurelien Rougerie 23Romain Taofifenua

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 02 May 2015, 12:24 pm

Notch wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

I agree it's humourous to describe Clermont as an underdog.  How can anyone be an underdog when the team is operated and funded essentially by the Michelin company?  

Well I for one welcome our new corporate overdogs!
At lease we know everyone in the Clermont organisation will have good tyres on their cars.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 02 May 2015, 12:34 pm

I love the ScrumV take on the final. "Who will be the 10th Welsh Winner?". Nine welshmen have been part of victorious teams, and with JD2 on one side and 1/2p the other we will see the 10th Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by dubh_linn Sat 02 May 2015, 1:16 pm

cheers doc

dubh_linn

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 02 May 2015, 1:30 pm

I look at those teams and Clermont just look better. Yet I just feel that Toulon have that will to win.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 02 May 2015, 1:48 pm

As in the past I think so much for Clermont comes down to Brock James, if he's good they'll have a chance to win it.

If he's bad, well, they're in for a long day at the office. And there'll be dozens of very disappointed Clermont fans at Twickenham...

Still undecided if I'll bother to watch or not.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 02 May 2015, 4:00 pm

yappysnap wrote:If he's bad, well, they're in for a long day at the office. And there'll be dozens of very disappointed Clermont fans at Twickenham...

If you shipped over all the Irish rugby fans who are hoping that Clermont beat Toulon, you'd have more than dozens. You could fill out Twickenham many times over. You'd only need free flights, booze and hotels to go with the free tickets- no problem for BTs deep pockets surely? Smile

Beneficiaries of Michelin they may be, but I've never met an Ulster, Leinster or Munster fan with a bad word to say about them and that is 99% to do with their wonderful fans. Without a shadow of the doubt, the BEST travelling fans. Every year I hope we avoid Clermont because they're so good, but also hope we get them because the atmosphere is so unbelievable when they come to town. They bring the noise- literally- and it's a good-natured, party atmosphere. We're all hoping that ASM can pull it off, just like they should have in Dublin in 2013- maybe because we know exactly what it's like to be consistently amongst the best without always getting the trophies to show for it. I'm no exception. I have my ASM scarf, and my half a dozen mispronounced French words. Feck Michelin- do it for the Yellow Army!

Last edited by Notch on Sat 02 May 2015, 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 02 May 2015, 4:02 pm

I'm pleased we have a thread for the match, even if isn't raging hot.

When Wilkinson was playing for Toulon, it was always interesting to see how he was going. Not really so inspired by the opportunity to see Armitage and Abendanon but I am getting more interested in this game as it draws nearer. If I was near Twickenham, I probably would have gone along.

Even if our own players aren't going to be selected, there's a bit of World Cup interest for English supporters in the form of Halfpenny, Davies, Giteau and Mitchell. I know he has few fans, but it's sad Delon is injured.

No idea about this one. Toulon haven't looked anything special when I've caught them this season but they won last year when Clermont looked the better side. I just hope it's a good game.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 02 May 2015, 4:19 pm

Could there be any less hype for this game?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 02 May 2015, 4:28 pm

My brother got a ticket for this game the other day for £20. That is pretty appalling for a European Cup final.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 02 May 2015, 4:36 pm

I find it telling that the comments of how bad this game is going to be are mainly from the Irish. It's as if they want it to fail, wonder why that is  Whistle

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Sat 02 May 2015, 4:39 pm

if I was still in living in london I would have gone along if I managed to get the free-20 quid tickets... but one has to imagine french rugby message boards are an exciting place today? surely??

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Sat 02 May 2015, 4:41 pm

nathan wrote:I find it telling that the comments of how bad this game is going to be are mainly from the Irish. It's as if they want it to fail, wonder why that is  Whistle

Citation? I don't see a single Irish person saying the game will be bad. Just people commenting on the lack of hype for what should be the biggest day in european rugby

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 02 May 2015, 4:43 pm

wolfball wrote:
nathan wrote:I find it telling that the comments of how bad this game is going to be are mainly from the Irish. It's as if they want it to fail, wonder why that is  Whistle

Citation? I don't see a single Irish person saying the game will be bad. Just people commenting on the lack of hype for what should be the biggest day in european rugby

You know exactly what im talking about, no citation needed.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 02 May 2015, 4:49 pm

A citation is certainly needed. Where are the comments saying how bad this game is going to be? There are only 20 odd comments here so it shouldn't be too hard to find  Very Happy

With Owens as the ref and the quality of players on the pitch, this could be a great game.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 02 May 2015, 4:52 pm

wolfball wrote:if I was still in living in london I would have gone along if I managed to get the free-20 quid tickets... but one has to imagine french rugby message boards are an exciting place today? surely??

Almost certainly not as much as they will be come the Top14 Final. That's not me trying to run down the new Cup either, nathan, it's just the truth. They wanted it moved forward so as not to detract from the climax of their domestic season.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 02 May 2015, 5:06 pm

I thought Brock James was starting?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 02 May 2015, 5:08 pm

Ah that explains it

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 02 May 2015, 5:12 pm

LondonTiger wrote:I thought Brock James was starting?

Weird situation when you hear a teams 10 has pulled out in the warm-up and you think "Well, that's probably going to help.' James is the better 10, but in terms of nerve under pressure in this tournament, you always wonder...

Cudmore on the other hand, would be a disastrous player to lose.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sat 02 May 2015, 5:14 pm

Why Lopez doesnt score that type of penalty when he plays for France?

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 02 May 2015, 5:14 pm

whocares wrote:Why Lopez doesnt score that type of penalty when he plays for France?

Brock James Syndrome Wink
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 02 May 2015, 5:16 pm

The forwards have been a big part of the game so far but Abendanon has had a bright start, helping win that second Clermont penalty.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 02 May 2015, 5:16 pm

Stadiums about two thirds full?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 02 May 2015, 5:17 pm

That is nonsense, nobody has said the game is going to be bad. Read again and use your noggin.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 02 May 2015, 5:18 pm

LondonTiger wrote:I thought Brock James was starting?
Will Greenwood must have been cursing, given that Brock James was the topic of his Telegraph piece on this game.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 02 May 2015, 5:19 pm

yappysnap wrote:Stadiums about two thirds full?

Apparently the upper tier is empty.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 02 May 2015, 5:24 pm

Decent game so far, Bendy & Lopez have started well.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 02 May 2015, 5:25 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:The forwards have been a big part of the game so far but Abendanon has had a bright start, helping win that second Clermont penalty.

What I like about Clermont is they are all so good over the ball, even the lads with double figures on their back. Camille Lopez won a cracking turnover earlier too.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 02 May 2015, 5:26 pm

Toulon have had a couple of breaks to keep Clermont honest but the Michelin men have the upper hand in these early stages.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 02 May 2015, 5:26 pm

Notch wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:The forwards have been a big part of the game so far but Abendanon has had a bright start, helping win that second Clermont penalty.

What I like about Clermont is they are all so good over the ball, even the lads with double figures on their back. Camille Lopez won a cracking turnover earlier too.

Most of the best teams are like this, with multiple very good players over the ball.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 02 May 2015, 5:31 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Notch wrote:

Most of the best teams are like this, with multiple very good players over the ball.

I've just gotten too used to watching Ulster let Rory Best and Chris Henry do it all by themselves Wink
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 02 May 2015, 5:31 pm

Notch wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Notch wrote:

I've just gotten too used to watching Ulster let Rory Best and Chris Henry do it all by themselves Wink

Very Happy

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sat 02 May 2015, 5:31 pm

Parra 1-0 Tillous Bordes...

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 02 May 2015, 5:33 pm

whocares wrote:Parra 1-0 Tillous Bordes...

Very much so, great to see Parra back in some good form, such a classy 9.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 02 May 2015, 5:34 pm

Delon Armitage probably doesn't have a future as a media pundit. "We started really well, and Clermont started really well too."

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 02 May 2015, 5:36 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:Delon Armitage probably doesn't have a future as a media pundit. "We started really well, and Clermont started really well too."

I was just surprised he didn't swear, well done Delon.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 02 May 2015, 5:40 pm

Halfpenny a big reason Toulon are in touch.

Scott Quinnell thinks Parra was offside for Clermont's try. Barnes says we ought to be forgiving.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 02 May 2015, 5:43 pm

Leigh Halfpenny the main reason Toulon are trailing Clermont. Very Happy

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next