The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All to play for in the Final Pro12 round

+13
Notch
clivemcl
No9
Chunky Norwich
rodders
LordDowlais
InjuredYetAgain
dragon4life
The Saint
nathan
asoreleftshoulder
SecretFly
Pot Hale
17 posters

Go down

All to play for in the Final Pro12 round Empty All to play for in the Final Pro12 round

Post by Pot Hale Sat 09 May 2015, 7:12 pm

Pro12 is definitely the most exciting rugby league in the world!!

As we head in the final round all of the teams have something to play for.

Munster, Ulster and Glasgow looking for the top spot and home semi-finals.

Leinster looking to secure a better European seeding against Edinburgh who are still looking to nick the 6th spot of guaranteed Euro qualification.

Connacht with their bonus point win against Zebre today are also in the reckoning with just one match to play at home in the Sportsground.

Zebre and Treviso are still battling it out of the final Italian sport in the Champions Cup with three points separating them.

Only Dragons and Blues seem to be marooned - although Cardiff could easily do their Welsh fellow regions a favour if they continue their lack-lustre form and hand more points to Scarlets tomorrow in their chase for Euro qualification.

You couldn't write the script for this.

Well done to the Pro12 organisers for changing the Euro qualifications format last year, it's been a real winner.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

All to play for in the Final Pro12 round Empty Re: All to play for in the Final Pro12 round

Post by SecretFly Sat 09 May 2015, 7:20 pm

Pathetic.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

All to play for in the Final Pro12 round Empty Re: All to play for in the Final Pro12 round

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat 09 May 2015, 7:22 pm

SecretFly wrote:Pathetic.

clap

Sometimes less really is more Fly Whistle

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 09 May 2015, 7:23 pm

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 09 May 2015, 7:28 pm

Bit of a Poopie OP really

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 09 May 2015, 9:09 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Pro12 is definitely the most exciting rugby league in the world!!

Leinster looking to secure a better European seeding against Edinburgh who are still looking to nick the 6th spot of guaranteed Euro qualification.

Connacht with their bonus point win against Zebre today are also in the reckoning with just one match to play at home in the Sportsground.

Zebre and Treviso are still battling it out of the final Italian sport in the Champions Cup with three points separating them.

Only Dragons and Blues seem to be marooned - although Cardiff could easily do their Welsh fellow regions a favour if they continue their lack-lustre form and hand more points to Scarlets tomorrow in their chase for Euro qualification.

Well done to the Pro12 organisers for changing the Euro qualifications format last year, it's been a real winner.

+ 1.

Edinburgh, Connacht and arguably Dragons are in contention for 7th place, therefore playing the 7th placed English team for the final spot in Europe's premier competition.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Sat 09 May 2015, 9:15 pm

The Saint wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:Pro12 is definitely the most exciting rugby league in the world!!

+ 1.

Edinburgh, Connacht and arguably Dragons are in contention for 7th place, therefore playing the 7th placed English team for the final spot in Europe's premier competition.
After connachts bp win we can't catch them

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 May 2015, 10:16 pm

My first reaction to your comment was Shocked Soon followed by Laugh

Well played, Fly Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 10 May 2015, 12:30 am

dragon4life wrote:
The Saint wrote:

+ 1.

After connachts bp win we can't catch them

I thought we couldn't anyway, as Edinburgh were 7 clear or so?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 10 May 2015, 12:31 am

Dragons are going to tonk Munster next week #fact

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 10 May 2015, 2:10 pm

I'm hurt, I'm really hurt.

Am never going to talk to you again. Ever.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sun 10 May 2015, 5:37 pm

How can a thread go t1ts up so quickly?

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 10 May 2015, 7:52 pm

Success breeds many strange bedfellows.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 11 May 2015, 9:39 am

InjuredYetAgain wrote:How can a thread go t1ts up so quickly?

because it was such an obvious attempt to rile certain people up,the thing is though, if it was done tidy, we could have had a decent debate on here about it.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 11 May 2015, 9:51 am

Done to rile a repeat riler?

Good Show, Pot! All is forgiven.

This thread is no longer 'Pathetic' and now open for Bizz!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 11 May 2015, 9:58 am

Only one thing is certain, either both Glasgow and Ulster will get an away semi, or one of them definitely will, my bet is on Glasgow beating Ulster and Ulster end up with an away semi final.

Munster will beat Dragons and could possibly get a bonus point, so that is on home spot taken, then it will be between Glasgow and Ospreys for the other home semi, I would like to think though that Ospreys have enough in their locker to go out to Connacht and win, they would not need a BP for a home semi and that could be crucial.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 11 May 2015, 10:30 am

Totally agree - the quality has been excellent and the play offs are going to be really competitive. RCC qualification going right down to the wire too.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 11 May 2015, 11:43 pm

I agree as well. Brilliant thread really, even though I say so myself.

I mean, I even converted Fly along the way......

Pro12 - excites some parts that other leagues can't reach.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 12 May 2015, 12:17 am

Pot Hale wrote:I agree as well.  Brilliant thread really, even though I say so myself.

I mean, I even converted Fly along the way......

Pro12 - excites some parts that other leagues can't reach.

+ 1. Just don't see what the Aviva Premiership does for some folk.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri 15 May 2015, 1:57 pm

clearly not.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Fri 15 May 2015, 2:29 pm

::::::

First no mention of the Ospreys.. Aren't they playing for a Home Semi, or have you resigned yourself to the fact they are guaranteed of one hence the other 3 are playing for the "other" home semi...

And BAD BAD decision Pro12 organisers... Who had the brain f@rt to decide the final will be played at Ulster's home ground.. What logic are you working from...

I hope that its an Osprey v Glasgow/Munster final, as that's the only fair result, as having home advantage in the final is not fair. Used to being home to the top spot finalist. Ok there's a bias there, but it gives extra credence to finish as high up the league as possible during the season and at least that way, you would get a decent crowd at the final (even if it is home support). But if its a Osprey v Glasgow final in NI, the support at the ground is going to be really low and not publicize the league very well... BAD BAD decision there Pro 12..

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 15 May 2015, 2:44 pm

Just to make sure that we don't all get tarred with the same brush - I'm going to make a point of saying it.

I think the final being decided at Kingspan long ago is simply ridiculous!

Sure, as an Ulster fan, I'm reaping the benefits. bought my ticket months ago and the boys in white have done there bit so far to ensure I have a short trip to hopefully see my team in the final (here's hoping).

But the idea that fans from two teams from Wales and Scotland would both have to travel over water to watch their teams in a final is simply bonkers.

The reality is, Ulster were aiming for 2nd place in the league. First place would have been unnecessary.

They seriously need to rethink this for next year.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 15 May 2015, 2:47 pm

No9 wrote: if its a Osprey v Glasgow final in NI, the support at the ground is going to be really low and not publicize the league very well... BAD BAD decision there Pro 12..

I don't think that part is necessarily true. The 10000 or so tickets on public release have already sold out. To ensure the ground is completely sold-out, Ospreys and Glasgow would only need to sell a meagre 4000 tickets each. For a Final that should be a piece of cake. Are you really saying those two teams don't have a core base of 4000 fans who would travel to see their team win the silverware?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 15 May 2015, 2:55 pm

Notch wrote:
No9 wrote: if its a Osprey v Glasgow final in NI, the support at the ground is going to be really low and not publicize the league very well... BAD BAD decision there Pro 12..

I don't think that part is necessarily true. The 10000 or so tickets on public release have already sold out. To ensure the ground is completely sold-out, Ospreys and Glasgow would only need to sell a meagre 4000 tickets each. For a Final that should be a piece of cake. Are you really saying those two teams don't have a core base of 4000 fans who would travel to see their team win the silverware?
Having attended every single final (I will be at Slane this year on the day) The biggest away support was Ulster in the RDS. (although it was not technically an away game for them) Glasgow brought a few thousand last year though which was great. I don't remember there being even 1000 Ospreys fans in either 2010 or 2012 despite the fact that they won both times.

Belfast is MUCH easier for Glasgow fans to get to than Ospreylians though.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 15 May 2015, 2:57 pm

clivemcl wrote:

But the idea that fans from two teams from Wales and Scotland would both have to travel over water to watch their teams in a final is simply bonkers.

Wouldn't that make the Final location an Extremely Neutral one though?  I thought that's what many people are calling for...

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 15 May 2015, 3:01 pm

SecretFly wrote:
clivemcl wrote:

Wouldn't that make the Final location an Extremely Neutral one though?  I thought that's what many people are calling for...

Well they would have to choose either Treviso or Zebre's stadium for the final. Otherwise one team is likely to have an advantage of some sort, being a lot closer to their fans. (No offence Italians - an unfortunate reality).

At least with the previous system, the home advantage was earned over the course of the league. Rather than gifted to a team who could then be sure of home advantage in the final, with only having to compete for 4th place.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 15 May 2015, 3:23 pm

SecretFly wrote:
clivemcl wrote:

Why did they change it though? It used to be that whoever sat the top of the table would get home advantage in the play-offs. I preferred it that way. Sure we could move it around Cardiff, Dublin and Edinburgh one day if it gets to that stage, but we aren't there yet.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 15 May 2015, 3:25 pm

Mainly because they only have four days to arrange the final if the ground isn't known beforehand.

It's an unwelcome knock-on from the European restructuring that has probably forced the Pro12 into doing what they always were going to do eventually, early.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 15 May 2015, 3:31 pm

The Saint wrote:
Why did they change it though? It used to be that whoever sat the top of the table would get home advantage in the play-offs. I preferred it that way. Sure we could move it around Cardiff, Dublin and Edinburgh one day if it gets to that stage, but we aren't there yet.

But someone felt we were, Saint.... (obviously not us fans!  Whistle  as trying to get all us folks to agree to anything would be a pretty unproductive series of meetings.... and catfights)
But the guys running Pro12, which allegedly and Hopefully involves all the parties from all four Nations, obviously felt for some reason (probably monetary) that the time was now

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 15 May 2015, 3:40 pm

Don't they still do it that way in S15? Makes me wonder if they struggle with arrangements.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 15 May 2015, 3:49 pm

No9 wrote:

First no mention of the Ospreys.. Aren't they playing for a Home Semi, or have you resigned yourself to the fact they are guaranteed of one hence the other 3 are playing for the "other" home semi...

Yep correct - Ospreys are in the top spot, and Munster, Ulster and Glasgow are looking for the top spot, and a home semi-final.[/quote]
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 16 May 2015, 3:50 am

Glad to see the Guardian agrees with me on the growing success of the Pro12 and its end of season finale:

Pro 12 hits the jackpot as TV companies rush for Super Saturday
• Five out of six matches to be televised as league finishes on a high
• Play-off and Champions Cup places to be decided

"The blazers and committee men of the Celtic nations, or more precisely Ireland and Wales, may have started the season under a cloud after losing the argument about a revamped Europe, but they and their sponsors have hit pay dirt nine months and 126 league games later.

All bar one of Saturday’s final round of games in the Pro12 league – Cardiff Blues, bottom of the pile of non-Italian sides, versus Zebre, who are just bottom of the pile – are televised. Something of a bonus for Guinness in their first year of sponsorship and reflecting the closest of finishes to the season. Three of the four sides in the play-off positions – Ospreys, Glasgow and Munster – are on 70 points, with fourth‑placed Ulster, who travel to Glasgow’s Scotstoun Stadium on Saturday, just a point behind.

Sky is covering the Glasgow game, where the Warriors need a bonus-point win to be sure of a home draw in the semi-final play-off, whereas S4C has bagged the Ospreys’ difficult trip to Connacht, where Pat Lam’s side currently still have hopes of a final Champions Cup spot.

One point behind come Edinburgh, who this week rewarded their coach, Alan Solomons, with a one-year extension to his contract after a burst of success which saw them become the first Scottish club to reach a European final. After beating both London Irish and Newport Gwent Dragons in the latter stages of the Challenge Cup, Edinburgh lost the final to Gloucester but may yet play in Europe’s top tier next season through the system of play-offs.

BBC Alba has Edinburgh’s game with Leinster, currently fifth in the Pro12, while the final Champions Cup place is currently in the hands of Scarlets, four points adrift of Leinster but four points ahead of Connacht. TG4 covers Munster, in third spot, versus the Dragons, while BBC Wales shows Scarlets’ visit to the Veneto,........"

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/may/15/pro-12-televised-champions-cup-play-offs-ospreys-scarlets-glasgow-ulster-connacht

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat 16 May 2015, 6:53 am

Notch wrote:

Ospreys have roughly 5000 season ticket holders. There's a hardcore that do travel, but not 4000. Especially as we'd have to pay for travel, accom etc...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat 16 May 2015, 6:54 am

Notch wrote:

Ospreys have roughly 5000 season ticket holders. There's a hardcore that do travel, but not 4000. Especially as we'd have to pay for travel, accom etc...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 16 May 2015, 7:27 am

Breadvan those numbers are similar to Glasgow Warriors support base. It would appear that we are growing in numbers hence increasing the capacity for todays game to 10000 and almost immediately selling out. We also have a hard core of travellers but that number is growing significantly also. Anyway good luck today and hope to see you in the final (or semi -final Shocked )

PS I offered you some advice on your trip to the Peoples Republic on the Warriors Ulster thread.

21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat 16 May 2015, 7:52 am

Laugh I wanted to go to Stirling but Mrs bread is on one. I can see Glasgow mirroring the Irish sides achievements of playing good rugby, getting to finals, winning the league, big crowds and being a real community club over the next few seasons. The Ospreys have the potenetial but will our match going fan base grow? I aint holding my breath..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat 16 May 2015, 8:07 am

Well if Mrs Breadvan is looking for shopping type thingys tell her Glasgow is the place to visit - caution on the credit card old chap ! Pop along to Scotstoun for our home semi final v Ospreys (Hug) next Friday - if you can get a ticket !!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sat 16 May 2015, 8:26 am

Breadvan wrote:
Notch wrote:

It's 4000 for both teams not each. Only 2000 each. I'd say Glaswegans would take any the Ospreylians didn't if they both made the final. Given the relative ease of travel to Belfast.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat 16 May 2015, 8:52 am

At a guess, If the Ospreys reached the final, we'd only sell around 500/800ish. All depends on the cost..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 16 May 2015, 10:22 am

How many Ospreys fans traveled for the 2012 final? i seem to remember there was quite a lot of them looking at the tv

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Sat 16 May 2015, 5:28 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
No9 wrote:

Yep correct - Ospreys are in the top spot, and Munster, Ulster and Glasgow are looking for the top spot, and a home semi-final.
[/quote]

Jinxed us ... Doh

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 16 May 2015, 5:56 pm

I think if Munster win their semi we're looking at a guaranteed sell-out whatever happens between Ulster and Glasgow.

I can't promise that some Ulster fans with tickets won't turn up if we lose (though I certainly will be there, and I hope everyone with a ticket is) but in terms of tickets selling out, yeah I think they will if Munster win.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 16 May 2015, 7:23 pm

No9 wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
No9 wrote:

Yep correct - Ospreys are in the top spot, and Munster, Ulster and Glasgow are looking for the top spot, and a home semi-final.

Jinxed us ... Doh

Well, glad it was you that said it....  Smile

Munster and Glasgow delivered.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 May 2015, 7:53 pm

Well done Pro12. Great day!

The naysayers can do one.

Griff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down