The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro12 final....who should ref

+10
Utility-forward
Notch
Mickado
toml
mckay1402
Suspicious lurker
doctornickolas
rodders
maestegmafia
sirBiggles
14 posters

Go down

Leinster v Ospreys should be refereed by a...

Pro12 final....who should ref Vote_lcap9%Pro12 final....who should ref Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 2 ]
Pro12 final....who should ref Vote_lcap9%Pro12 final....who should ref Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 2 ]
Pro12 final....who should ref Vote_lcap0%Pro12 final....who should ref Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Pro12 final....who should ref Vote_lcap0%Pro12 final....who should ref Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]
Pro12 final....who should ref Vote_lcap17%Pro12 final....who should ref Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 4 ]
Pro12 final....who should ref Vote_lcap13%Pro12 final....who should ref Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 3 ]
Pro12 final....who should ref Vote_lcap34%Pro12 final....who should ref Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 23

Pro12 final....who should ref Empty Pro12 final....who should ref

Post by sirBiggles Sun 13 May 2012, 1:47 am

Simple poll. Who do you think should referee the final. The poll is not about who actually, but more about nationality.

Please suggest names, and wether you think a ref can really be impartial, ref'ing a game between a team from his own nation againt a team from another.

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Pro12 final....who should ref Empty Re: Pro12 final....who should ref

Post by sirBiggles Sun 13 May 2012, 1:50 am

Personally, I think any referee who is up to the required standard, providing they are not Irish or Welsh, for the final.

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 13 May 2012, 8:12 am

Anyone but Clancy. Haven't seen a game yet that he hasn't killed

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 13 May 2012, 8:53 am

Allan Rolland...... Whistle ..... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Sun 13 May 2012, 9:34 am

Would have to be a Scottish or Italian for me.

Obviously can't be Welsh or Irish and we should 'stick with out own kind' for the final. No need to go outside the nationalities taking part. Scots and Italians have international level referees so no problem.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Sun 13 May 2012, 9:48 am

George Clancy for me
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sun 13 May 2012, 10:00 am

Actually if there's one available if like to see a sh ref do it. I do know that won't happen and it will probably be whoever Leinster choose
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Sun 13 May 2012, 11:15 am

Easy answer... Nigel Owens

Head and shoulders the best ref in the British Isles at the moment. Breathes a sigh of relief when he was appointed for the HEC final.

I cannot say what I think of Clancy because I'd be ashamed of the language I'd use

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Sun 13 May 2012, 1:07 pm

Owens wash picked to ref us this week because "it would be inappropriate for him to ref Leinster 2 weeks in a row".

So he won't be doing the league final either.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 13 May 2012, 1:24 pm

Owens would be the best choice, but in his (probable) absence due to reffing the HC Final I'd go for Alain Rolland who I believe is the second best ref in the Celtic Nations.

All this whinging about referees is so one-eyed; they are human and have strengths and weaknesses in their game but they are also all quite impartial.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Utility-forward Sun 13 May 2012, 6:03 pm

Out of all of them, I'd go for Owens. If we're ruling out Welsh and Irish refs, I'd go with the Italian ref, Mitrea I think, ahead of any of the scots.

Utility-forward

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 13 May 2012, 6:14 pm

Peter Alan from Scotland, or Marius Mitrea from Italy.

Marius was a lineman at the Ospreys V Leinster game so I am wondering if he will get it.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sun 13 May 2012, 8:06 pm

Interesting that it's only the Irish fans not saying that Clancy was biassed yesterday.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Sun 13 May 2012, 9:46 pm

mckay1402 wrote:Interesting that it's only the Irish fans not saying that Clancy was biassed yesterday.

Clancy is a poor ref, he isn't biased, plenty of examples of him giving Glasgow some dubious calls too.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 May 2012, 7:08 am

Mickado wrote:
mckay1402 wrote:Interesting that it's only the Irish fans not saying that Clancy was biassed yesterday.

Clancy is a poor ref, he isn't biased, plenty of examples of him giving Glasgow some dubious calls too.

Clancy is not biased, he is a very very good referee, who is a touch to pedantic and only gives an attacking team about two seconds to present the ball when tackled as opposed to the four or five or even six seconds given by 99% of the referees in the world.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 14 May 2012, 8:02 am

I think that Clancy can be a good ref again, he was excellent prior to the RWC.

Maest is correct that he is way to pedantic at the breakdown but he is not bias, he pings both teams eaually. Its hard for him though as if he lets the game flow he gets abused for missing things if he doesnt then he is extremely pedantic. A smooth ground has to be found, thats what makes excellent refs (Owens, Joubert) stand head and shoulders above the rest.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 May 2012, 8:13 am

eirebilly wrote:I think that Clancy can be a good ref again, he was excellent prior to the RWC.

Maest is correct that he is way to pedantic at the breakdown but he is not bias, he pings both teams eaually. Its hard for him though as if he lets the game flow he gets abused for missing things if he doesnt then he is extremely pedantic. A smooth ground has to be found, thats what makes excellent refs (Owens, Joubert) stand head and shoulders above the rest.

He misses plenty when he is being pedantic.

His problem is that he emphasises far too much on the wrong areas and lacks patience and dominance.

The first time he took action with the scrum on Saturday was in the 72nd minute. (The scrum hadn't been too hard to referee previously, both sides playing a clean game). But there had been numerous scrum penalties.

His main issue is timing at the break down. He never gives the attacking side enough time and goes straight for a penalty to the defending team if the attacking side have not presented clean ball within two seconds of the tackle. Most referees give three or four seconds for the support to secure the ball and the tackled player to present it, some give much longer.

It may seem a small detail but that timing is a very big part of consistent refereeing, as is when you chose to be stern with problems at the scrum or breakdown.

Of the two big games this weekend, I would say Allan Rolland was the better referee.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 14 May 2012, 8:13 am

I personally think it is time Bruce Lawrence stepped up to the plate, and officiate in this final, he is unbiased, let's the game flow, interprets the laws well and has a pleasant way about him when talking to the players.

Other referees can only be inspired by his performances. Doh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 14 May 2012, 8:16 am

let it go Biltong. Ale

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 14 May 2012, 8:18 am

Oh i agree with you Maest, his performances have been very poor since the RWC, possibly the poorest ref out there right now. His timing and general interperation has declined terribly. I do hope that he finds his form again as he was a very good referee leading up to the RWC.

I am just sayin that it is hard for refs as they will be critisised no matter what they do.

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 May 2012, 8:20 am

biltongbek wrote:I personally think it is time Bruce Lawrence stepped up to the plate, and officiate in this final, he is unbiased, let's the game flow, interprets the laws well and has a pleasant way about him when talking to the players.

Leinster have a few Afrikaans in their contingent.. Bruce may sway the game towards the O's...

To be honest would rather see a great fair game rather than an impeded one.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 14 May 2012, 8:23 am

LordDowlais wrote:let it go Biltong. Ale

I have, that's why I can be so complimentary about the guy, he is my dearest, dearest friend.Pro12 final....who should ref Diggin10
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 14 May 2012, 8:24 am

maestegmafia wrote:
biltongbek wrote:I personally think it is time Bruce Lawrence stepped up to the plate, and officiate in this final, he is unbiased, let's the game flow, interprets the laws well and has a pleasant way about him when talking to the players.

Leinster have a few Afrikaans in their contingent.. Bruce may sway the game towards the O's...

To be honest would rather see a great fair game rather than an impeded one.

That's fine, he can make it up to Leinster when they play Ulster (who has more Afrikaners) in the HC final.Pro12 final....who should ref Pot10
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 14 May 2012, 9:00 am

I know, I will ref it, the game will be flowing, and with 5mins left it will be 100 all and everybody will be cheering me, then I wake up with my misses shouting at me for constantly repeating in my sleep dont touch it, hands off, and realease him.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down