The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tonight's Action

+28
catchweight
hampo17
ShahenshahG
Duty281
RatBoy66
quentins_monkey
mobilemaster8
ONETWOFOREVER
Rowley
Cast a Shadow
AdamT
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Mayweathers cellmate
Jermaine2015
neilodonnell
milkyboy
Scottrf
Bellz84
owen10ozzy
BoxingFan88
sittingringside
wheelchair1991
Hammersmith harrier
Hands Of Stone
TRUSSMAN66
spencerclarke
rob-glos
AlexHuckerby
32 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Tonight's Action - Page 6 Empty Tonight's Action

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 30 May 2015, 5:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

WOW WHAT A FIRST FIGHT!

Feel like I got my moneys worth already and I didn't care a jot about that fight before the bell haha!

What a comeback, proper heroics

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Tonight's Action - Page 6 Empty Re: Tonight's Action

Post by Fernando Sat 30 May 2015, 11:41 pm

If anyone wants to watch some hilarious boxing then put Spike TV on (Sky 160) Reminds me of when i play Fight Night on the Xbox Laugh

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 30 May 2015, 11:52 pm

The first five fights were top quality and highly enjoyable; if we're all honest they're the ones we tuned in for as Joshua and Brook were always going to look good whilst winning easily.

Gutted for Mitchell and it's confusing how he ever lost to Burns and Katsidis, he along with Linares was brilliant tonight, hopefully there is a rematch. I hope those close to him keep him out of harm as the perception of his psyche would suggest this is going to hit him really really hard.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sun 31 May 2015, 10:03 am

Just caught up on last night's card. Some cracking fights. Never been a fan of Mitchell but thought he went out on his shield after a great performance. I picked Linares to beat him but felt Kevin really impressed. What a mess in the end though.

Selby looked very good indeed, I'll admit I might have over looked his abilities and he made a new fan last night.

Joshua... well the power isn't in question! Still need to see if all that muscle makes him a 6 round fighter though.

Need to see Brook in with an exciting name and Joshua in with the next level now.

Other than the main event that was a good night's boxing.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 31 May 2015, 11:54 am

Brook vs Brandon rios will be next

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 31 May 2015, 12:01 pm

I think Mitchell could have won that but for the eye, easy to say in hindsight but he should have jumped on Linares who was quite badly stung when he went down, few body shots then unload upstairs, Linares lacks a bit of confidence in his chin, Kev let him get his confidence back. Good fight, a definite rematch.

Selby looked good but will need to tighten his defence a touch, Joshua to face Whyte(or Price,) next up? Love the sound of Brook/Rios.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 31 May 2015, 12:33 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:I think Mitchell could have won that but for the eye.

I think If I went to the himalayas I could climb Everest..........Just as pointless a statement...

Mitchell's eye is a mess and I think it's gone...........Like that other Brit fighter Hoko I think as soon as he's banged on it in future he's in trouble....

Think his best chance was last night and his luck was out.............Took some punishment too in the last couple of rounds and factoring in Linares will be more confident next time and Mitchell less so........(People often forget that defeat hurts a fighters psyche and give them baggage)

Linares easier next time..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sun 31 May 2015, 12:42 pm

It was started with a clash of heads so not that pointless a statement, truss. Linares worked it well though.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 31 May 2015, 1:28 pm

DuransHorse wrote:It was started with a clash of heads so not that pointless a statement, truss. Linares worked it well though.

I could say If Linares hadn't of been knocked down he would have won the fight more comfortably...........

Equally as redundant..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 31 May 2015, 1:36 pm

Truss must have been on the bevy last night.

He didn't notice the cut was caused by a clash of heads...

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 31 May 2015, 1:37 pm

Not at all the same Truss, Linares won fair and square but it was as a direct result of a headbutt something that the ref could have stopped the fight on with Mitchell winning on the cards.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 31 May 2015, 1:40 pm

So, if the ref stopped the fight at the end of the previous round (which with the state of his eye he could have).. Or let him go on and he survived the last few seconds of the tenth... And stops the fight on the cut.

Do they call it an accidental head clash stoppage and go to the cards... (Mitchell wins at the end if the 9th, draws at the end if the 10th). Or do they rule that the cut may have been originally caused by an accidental head clash but that punches on it afterwards caused the stoppage and its tko linares?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 31 May 2015, 1:45 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Not at all the same Truss, Linares won fair and square but it was as a direct result of a headbutt something that the ref could have stopped the fight on with Mitchell winning on the cards.

But Mitchell went down anyway at the end of the round, right result, great fight and we would love a rematch

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 31 May 2015, 1:47 pm

I was expecting a technical decision in that fight, I didn't think Mitchell could continue after the 8th I think it was but his corner seemed to stop the flow for most of the round with excessive vaseline. The moment his eye started to swell the whole complexion changed when i'm not sure it really should have, the injury was a result of the headbutt clash.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 31 May 2015, 1:48 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Not at all the same Truss, Linares won fair and square but it was as a direct result of a headbutt something that the ref could have stopped the fight on with Mitchell winning on the cards.

But Mitchell went down anyway at the end of the round, right result, great fight and we would love a rematch

Not disputing the finish but he wasn't stopped because of being unsteady but because his eye was swollen shut, he was massively unlucky.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 31 May 2015, 1:50 pm

It would have been incredibly harsh on Linares not to award him the win. Good effort from Mitchell but he was done at the end and was on his way to being KOed.

Mitchell shouldnt have any problems getting fights after that performance (unlike Gavin) but he has been battered in his 3 world title efforts now and might not have much more to give. Good job for his sake the ref stopped the fight when he did because I think Linares would have tore him a new one in the next round.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 31 May 2015, 2:05 pm

According to Eddie the first thing Mitchell said to him was "I'm so sorry..." Has nothing to be sorry about, pulled my heart strings a little to be honest

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 31 May 2015, 3:46 pm

The question is, how did the head clash effect the fight? It started the injury that linares was able to work on, eventually Mitchell couldn't see the punches landing on the eye. So it clearly was instrumental on the result of the fight. Would linares have got on top regardless without the cut? Very possibly but Impossible to say for sure.

It's a difficult thing to treat fairly from a referees perspective. You want the fight to go on, the longer it goes on the worse the injury and the likelihood that the injured fighter is losing the rounds. As I said earlier, stop the fight at the end if the 9th and go to scorecards, Mitchell wins, stop it at the end of the tenth it's a draw. Say he survives another losing round, you stop it at the end of the 11th he loses.

Maybe they should go back to the point of the initial injury and count the scores to that point.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sun 31 May 2015, 5:17 pm

Wouldn't take anything away from Linares, it might have been a clash of heads but if asked at the end of the 4th "do you want to continue?" Mitchell would have been "Hell yeah!" (Miliband style).

As Milky said, did that effect the latter rounds? Maybe without the clash Mitchell wouldn't have pressed the 5th?

Mitchell lost, no real dispute but the fight was highly competitive, then add in a unfortunate possible ( I'll repeat possible ) reason that Mitchell started to get caught and dropped, I think a rematch is a must!

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 31 May 2015, 7:49 pm

I'm not trying to detract from linares DH.. It was a gutsy performance from him. I just think the fight was in the balance and an accidental head clash played a key part in how the fight panned out. As such the result was fair but Mitchell was unfortunate. Them's the breaks.

The fight was a credit to both men.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 31 May 2015, 7:53 pm

Milky, how the hell did Mitchell lose to Burns and Katsidis?

Last night showed that whilst he doesn't have a granite chin, he isn't a glass jawed no hoper by any stretch, would have outclass both of them performing like he did.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sun 31 May 2015, 8:04 pm

Sorry Milky, probably wasn't being clear but I was agreeing with your assessment. Mad,I know!

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 31 May 2015, 8:08 pm

Hammy, know what you mean. Rowley said it last night.

Maybe all the binge drinking stories were true and this time he came in with his head straight and we saw the real Mitchell.

Katsidis maybe still had that dangerous banger element to him, and burns was at the top of his game.. But you'd certainly think the Mitchell we saw last night would be too accomplished for both of them.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 31 May 2015, 8:10 pm

DuransHorse wrote:Sorry Milky, probably wasn't being clear but I was agreeing with your assessment. Mad,I know!

Keep taking the tablets fella. You'll be ok. Normal service will be resumed.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 31 May 2015, 8:16 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Milky, how the hell did Mitchell lose to Burns and Katsidis?

Last night showed that whilst he doesn't have a granite chin, he isn't a glass jawed no hoper by any stretch, would have outclass both of them performing like he did.

Mitchell should have beaten Katsidis and Burns..................But like dear old Herol he never quite seizes the moment........

My guess is with that eye and the torrid last couple of rounds..........He never will...

Shoulda...Coulda............Won't..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6