The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gerard Houllier set for Aston Villa exit

+8
sportform
LivinginItaly
compelling and rich
Kay Fabe
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
custart
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
Enforcer
12 posters

Go down

Gerard Houllier set for Aston Villa exit Empty Gerard Houllier set for Aston Villa exit

Post by Enforcer Tue 31 May 2011, 12:59 pm

Manager Gerard Houllier is expected to leave Aston Villa by Wednesday, BBC Midlands Today understands.

Houllier, who only took over in September, missed the end of the season because of health problems and is set to leave by mutual consent.

BBC Radio 5 live's Pat Murphy said: "The decision will be in the interests of Aston Villa, not Houllier.

"The delay may be over severance pay. Houllier still has two years left on a contract worth more than £2m a year."

Murphy added: "Houllier and his management team have remained bullish about his prospects of returning to work but a final round of medical tests late last week would have taken the decision out of Houllier's hands."

Medical test results have been studied by the club's owner Randy Lerner and medical staff. Houllier missed the final month of last season because of his heart problems.

Caretaker manager Gary McAllister had been convinced the Frenchman would return to his post and the 63-year-old has played his part in drawing up Villa's plans for next season.

It is understood Villa officials are concerned a return to the dugout for Houllier could cause further health problems and may not, therefore, be fair to him or the club.

He has struggled to win over the Villa fans despite them moving away from the relegation zone and finishing ninth in the Premier League.

Villa have already been linked with Everton manager David Moyes, Fulham boss Mark Hughes and former England coach Steve McClaren as possible successors should Houllier's reign be at an end.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13599979.stm

Just saw this in the latest news section, it seems to be very expensive for Villa to keep getting rid of managers! They have only just paid off Martin O'Neill.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Gerard Houllier set for Aston Villa exit Empty Re: Gerard Houllier set for Aston Villa exit

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Tue 31 May 2011, 1:05 pm

Houllier is a great manager - I always wanted him to get the Wales job, which he applied for when John Toshack was selected.

Its a real shame to see him have to give up what he loves doing, and is good at, over his health.

Back to top Go down

Gerard Houllier set for Aston Villa exit Empty Re: Gerard Houllier set for Aston Villa exit

Post by custart Tue 31 May 2011, 2:47 pm

He had a heart problem when he was at Liverpool. It's a shame to say I think it'd be better if he quit and looked after his health.

custart

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 31 May 2011, 3:10 pm

He was in a comfy role at the French FA without the day to day stress of managing a club. Like what has already been mentioned he had heart problems at Liverpool he should probably retire and take it easy, maybe see if he can get his old job back.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Tue 31 May 2011, 3:10 pm

I think you have to be racist to have that job these days Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 31 May 2011, 4:16 pm

Good point maybe they should get Nick Griffin in. Smile
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Tue 31 May 2011, 4:18 pm

Although Gerard Houllier may be a perfectly qualified racist - I don't know? I'm just assuming he isn't.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 31 May 2011, 4:42 pm

I wouldn't think so he signed poor players from all around the World when he was at Liverpool.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 31 May 2011, 5:38 pm

I've never rated Houllier and don't think he should have got the Villa job in the first place, he is far to defensive minded

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 May 2011, 5:44 pm

He is a far better manager than some people have given him credit for. Gave Liverpool one of their finest ever seasons in 2001 when winning the cup treble.

He also showed amazing class when stating that seeing Liverpool winning the Champions League in 05 was one of his greatest nights.

That said he may have been milking some of the credit for that what with the team being peppered with some of his "poor signings"!

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 01 Jun 2011, 9:17 pm

just been confirmed now, cant blame him its his life he's messing with after all, who's everyone expecting as next manager then?

i expect gary mac to be favourite, how about stan collymore? Whistle

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:03 pm

Freekshow he had one brilliant season in 6, would you argue with anyone calling the likes of Traore or Baros poor signings?

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:49 pm

Name me one manager that hasn't made a bad signing gaffer. And far too defensive minded? I take it your are not a fan of Jose Mourinho then?

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:12 am

Liverpool Legend - should leave full time management for the sake of his health and spend quality time with his family.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:37 am

Freekshow, I'm not a fan of Mourinho no, I do like his up himself personality though, Houllier never had that to fall back on, the ironic thing with Mourinho is that his Porto team, the job that put him on the map was fast and exciting

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Thu 02 Jun 2011, 1:24 pm

The shortlist seems to be Mark Hughes, David Moyes, Roberto Martinez and Carlo Ancelotti.

I would like to see Aston Villa be more adventurous and go for Ancelotti.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 02 Jun 2011, 4:02 pm

I doubt they'd get him but that would certainly be adventurous, Roberto Martinez would also be a rather bold move, cant see past Hughes tho to be honest

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Jun 2011, 5:49 pm

the-gaffer wrote:Freekshow, I'm not a fan of Mourinho no, I do like his up himself personality though, Houllier never had that to fall back on, the ironic thing with Mourinho is that his Porto team, the job that put him on the map was fast and exciting

I agree to a degree. In winning the Uefa Cup they were very adventurous but their Champions League campaign had Mourinho's rope-a-dope football stamped all over it in my opinion. The two semi's against Deportivo were awful to watch and the final wasn't much better.

I do admire Jose's traits like you though gaffer. He is TV gold at times!

Back to top Go down

Post by Stellar Key Thu 02 Jun 2011, 5:58 pm

When they made the appointments last year I thought the clubs had got it wrong and said so at the time on other forums.

Sparky should have gone to Villa as it looks he might be about to now and Houllier manage Fulham instead but I wonder if Houllier will lead a big club again ??

It's a pity about Houllier as he's a very good manager but now it seems Aston Villa have got the right one if they employ Hughes now.

Stellar Key

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 02 Jun 2011, 7:40 pm

I just didn't think Houllier deserved the Villa job in the first place although he has better credentials than Avram Grant, neither should be getting EPL jobs in my opinion

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Sat 04 Jun 2011, 12:28 pm

Houllier won a lot of trophys at Liverpool. Grant won nothing despite riding the Mourinho wave.

Ancelotti would be my choice as well. Can't help thinking that most clubs in europe wouldn't mind him at the helm.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Philys Sat 04 Jun 2011, 9:47 pm

Got a bad feeling (and probably the totally wrong one) that Gary Mcallister might get this.. maybe im looking more at the tempting 20/1 odds than being serious

Philys

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 04 Jun 2011, 10:03 pm

Ian Houllier won 3 domestic trophies and the Uefa Cup in 7 seasons, 3 of those came in the same year, overall I wouldn't call him successful and definitely not a legend

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Jun 2011, 12:05 am

You are missing the point gaffer. He brought back an element of success that had been missing six years previously. Okay while he never won a Premier League Title he made his Liverpool team harder to beat than they were for half a decade.

I don't care what anybody says but any manager that wins three major knockout trophies in one season deserves legend recognition in my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 05 Jun 2011, 12:33 am

I think calling him a legend spits in the face of true legends, still its all about opinions but one brilliant season in 7 years doesn't cut it for me, before 2001 it was hardly good and after 2001 it was all downhill and the tactics where like watching paint dry, he was the genius that point blank refused to play his best striker in Robbie Fowler unless he needed a get out of jail free card then basically forced him out the door

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Jun 2011, 1:20 am

To be fair gaf, and while I agree to a dregree, Robbie had major knee problems during Houlliers reign and I can understand why he never had more game time.

How do you define a legend? I read somebody today stating that Walter Smith deserves a knighthood. It's all about context bud.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 05 Jun 2011, 11:02 am

Yeah, in the whole world of football should Houiller be called a legend? Probably not.

Could Liverpool fans have a strong argument to call him a legend of the club? I think so. When you look at in context, we had been in a rut for a long time before Houiller came in, and he managed our best season in probably ten years. He might not have been succesful as Shankley, Paisley or Dalglish, but considering the posititon of Liverpool at the time, I think he did an alright job.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 06 Jun 2011, 10:41 pm

Looking back it was 'an alright job' and just looking at the number of trophies it would appear to be successful but often nostalgia gets in the way with things like this, i remember Liverpool fans wanting shot of him because he was far to negative and couldn't motivate his team, that 1 great year, and it was great was all he done for me, his signing policy was also one dimensional and Liverpool where stuck with a load of over rated young Frenchman

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down