The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Under 20's world championship - general discussion thread

+26
Poorfour
Chunky Norwich
Hood83
Mcgavin Sean
thomh
LondonTiger
spaynter
lostinwales
whocares
GunsGerms
broadlandboy
Standulstermen
bedfordwelsh
Jhamer25
HammerofThunor
Mad for Chelsea
The Great Aukster
Sgt_Pooly
Rugby Fan
Notch
The Saint
Cumbrian
asoreleftshoulder
PenfroPete
profitius
blackcanelion
30 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Under 20's world championship - general discussion thread - Page 3 Empty Under 20's world championship - general discussion thread

Post by blackcanelion Fri 05 Jun 2015, 3:11 am

First topic message reminder :

I'm posting this even though I know there are Irish, English and Scottish threads. My idea is to give a thread that allows for all the games and teams to be discussed (that's not to downplay the other posts which have value in their own right).

To get the ball rolling here are some thoughts on the NZ team and chances in this tournament.

1. I think the NZRFU are starting to take this tournament more seriously. Not having won it in three years means you ask hard questions. I think it's obvious that we been way behind the eight ball in preparation compared to European teams for a while. It looks like they are taking steps in the right direction.

2. The coaching set up looks good. All three coaches are successful ITM cup coaches and have significant mana (i.e. they are all ex All Blacks).

3. The team has had better preparation than in the past. This team has actually played together in a few matches. In the past they've probably come in under prepared (there are no equivalents of the 6 nations age group competitions).

4. The teams pretty useful. There are players that aren't available (e.g. McKenzie and Lenart-Brown playing for the chiefs and I'm assuming national sevens player Ioane (Akira's younger brother).

5. The loss of players to league has obviously impacted this team, but it may be the union is addressing this with the countries first super 15 under 19 squads being set up in Auckland and Wellington. It's hard to say if it will stem the flow  as the NRL generates more TV revenue than either the Top 14 or Premiership. The clubs currently contract 16 professional under 19 squads) so there is a big pull. The Players who likely would have made it, include Asofa Solomona (could have been the superstar of this tournament).

6. It's difficult to determine the chances of this team based on 1 game. All we can say is that they were significantly better than the Scottish side they faced. I understand the Scottish side was understrength and given that this isn't the strongest NZ side we probably wont get a decent idea until after the game against Ireland.

7. It looks to have a side that play to NZ's normal strengths (e.g. fitness, pace and ball skills). The question remains how they cope if/when a team can control, possession, position and the pace of the game (e.g. England or SA). I'm not entirely convinced we adequate in the tight 5. If someone someone controls the set piece, has a good mauling game and can slow down the ruck we will be vulnerable.

All that aside I feel reasonably happy with our chances.

So. How do you feel about your team's progress so far and their chances looking forward.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Under 20's world championship - general discussion thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Under 20's world championship - general discussion thread

Post by profitius Mon 15 Jun 2015, 8:27 pm

Ireland 0 - 22 Wales. Half time. I'm glad now its not on tele!

England bullying the Boks. They just look too good so far in every department.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Under 20's world championship - general discussion thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Under 20's world championship - general discussion thread

Post by Cumbrian Mon 15 Jun 2015, 8:32 pm

I can't see it being as one sided in this half, it is about keeping the boks at arms length I think.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcgavin Sean Mon 15 Jun 2015, 8:34 pm

Wales u 20 leading Ireland u 20 by 22 to nil at halftime in Viadana
Mcgavin Sean
Mcgavin Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 15 Jun 2015, 8:37 pm

Christ, they don't get any smaller do they???
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 15 Jun 2015, 8:41 pm

That is boneheaded, you've cleared after lots of pressure and come up with a late hit. Ridiculous.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 15 Jun 2015, 8:54 pm

Just remembered about this. Decent lead

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 15 Jun 2015, 9:08 pm

You could argue that England are lucky to get into this round, but you can't argue that they look good to be in the final. 28-6 is a bit of a tuning.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 15 Jun 2015, 9:10 pm

Ref was itching to card an English player, Tompkins is quite unlucky IMO.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 15 Jun 2015, 9:19 pm

Just seen the 'high' tackle. Bizarre, the guy was almost on the floor.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 15 Jun 2015, 9:20 pm

Weird finish, final score flatters the Boks somewhat.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 15 Jun 2015, 9:32 pm

SA 4kg heavier? That's bigger than the Wales pack! Goes to show it's not always about size I guess.

Has Wales U20 game finished yet? I can't find the score anywhere...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 15 Jun 2015, 9:34 pm

whocares wrote:
The Saint wrote:Harsh lesson dished out to France by the Baby Blacks... But ask anyone that's beat them at this level, it takes a good few years of trying and some thrashings along the way!

Appart from the tight 5 it was truly men against boys tonight. The difference in handling skills and power is huge. That kiwi number 8 looked impressive and their flyhalf very good as well.

How many times have you faced them at U20 level? I can't remember it being many times. Wales, England and SA have played the quite often for some reason (probably to do with the seeding somehow?) and got stuffed a lot of times - but eventually beat them.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 15 Jun 2015, 9:40 pm

Finished 22-12 according to the WRU Twitter account.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 15 Jun 2015, 9:42 pm

Not that convincing then.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 15 Jun 2015, 9:44 pm

The Saint wrote:
whocares wrote:
The Saint wrote:Harsh lesson dished out to France by the Baby Blacks... But ask anyone that's beat them at this level, it takes a good few years of trying and some thrashings along the way!

Appart from the tight 5 it was truly men against boys tonight. The difference in handling skills and power is huge. That kiwi number 8 looked impressive and their flyhalf very good as well.

How many times have you faced them at U20 level? I can't remember it being many times. Wales, England and SA have played the quite often for some reason (probably to do with the seeding somehow?) and got stuffed a lot of times - but eventually beat them.

You are right. Dont recall france playing NZ at this level in the last 4 years. France rarely make the SF as well. The team from the SH we play the most tends to be Australia.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Jun 2015, 11:16 pm

Much better performance from the junior All Blacks today. More accurate than they were against Ireland. Whocares, you may know this, are many of the French lads in professional club set ups?

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 16 Jun 2015, 11:01 am

ebop wrote:Much better performance from the junior All Blacks today. More accurate than they were against Ireland. Whocares, you may know this, are many of the French lads in professional club set ups?

Hi Ebop, most belongs to professional clubs albeit still play in various development competition (espoirs) and hardly train with the pros. Only Marchant (the hooker) has significant experience at the highest levels (10+ games in top 14 for toulouse). Appart from him , I think Ramos , Bonneval (toulouse), roudil (la rochelle), meret and blance (bordeaux) had a couple of games in the t14 (and/or european challenge club).

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Jun 2015, 3:41 am

Thanks whocares, appreciate that info. Sounds a bit similar to our junior ABs. From what I gather, most are studying at uni, builders and pool painters but belong to various rugby academies around the country. There may be others, but I think Moli, Black, Ioane and Li are the ones that play in ITM cup or Super Rugby. Will be a big challenge against England as they seem more professionally developed overall. I think that's the case, or is the impression I have anyway, I'm probably wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Thu 18 Jun 2015, 7:47 am

ebop wrote:Thanks whocares, appreciate that info. Sounds a bit similar to our junior ABs. From what I gather, most are studying at uni, builders and pool painters but belong to various rugby academies around the country. There may be others, but I think Moli, Black, Ioane and Li are the ones that play in ITM cup or Super Rugby. Will be a big challenge against England as they seem more professionally developed overall. I think that's the case, or is the impression I have anyway, I'm probably wrong.

I could be wrong but I don't think that's true. Looking at England's squad I can't see anyone who has got regular or even that sporadic Prem experience. Most are in professional set ups so in that sense you;re probably right, but in terms of development via game-time they're probably not any further on.

Maybe it's the case that none of the squad has the level of experience as someone like Li or Ioane, but more have the experience of a professional set up than the rest of the AB squad?

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 18 Jun 2015, 7:54 am

Well most of the All Black U20 are involved in an academy, which is the same for the England players. A few have LV cup games.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 18 Jun 2015, 8:53 am

The English lads are all in education as well, that being a key part of the Academy process.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 18 Jun 2015, 9:09 am

I don't think either nation can get one up suggesting they're not as developed/professional as the other.

NZ and England are the best two U20 sides since the competition began. It should be a great final with the NZ pack much stronger than last year.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 18 Jun 2015, 9:20 am

One of the latest news pieces on the official website makes me giggle. Its an interview with a NZ commentator with his totally unbiased opinion of the two sides...

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Jun 2015, 9:32 am

Willie Los'e. He was infamously miffed when Boca Juniors didn't bring their senior side to NZ for an exhibition match. He's enthusiastic, I like him. He is a kiwi after all so it's not surprising he focused on NZ. The more articles I read, the more I get the impression (having not seen England U20s play), is that they will maul/scrum the heck out of the junior ABs and no doubt win.

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 18 Jun 2015, 10:53 am

ebop wrote:Willie Los'e. He was infamously miffed when Boca Juniors didn't bring their senior side to NZ for an exhibition match. He's enthusiastic, I like him. He is a kiwi after all so it's not surprising he focused on NZ. The more articles I read, the more I get the impression (having not seen England U20s play), is that they will maul/scrum the heck out of the junior ABs and no doubt win.

I don't have a problem with it, and he may be right about the final. It's just the 'so and so could be great, and such and such is just fantastic'. then 'Oh yeah the other team, well England improved from their game against France'. Its funny.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sat 20 Jun 2015, 3:08 am

Roll on tomorrow. My feeling is England go in as favorites. Forwards win matches, backs determine by how much.

My expectation is England will play a narrow game, driving, kicking for touch or up and unders, mauling from lineouts and look to put pressure on NZ. If they get a lead they'll move it wide.

My expectation for NZ is to move to drive and move ball wide, or kick for distance.

I think the ref will have a huge impact on this game. Primarily because it's the second set of game under the new rules. Teams are adjusting on the run, as it were. England's lineout maul could be defused, as the French was, if it's ruled illegal. We could see players penalised or binned for high tackles or trying to reclaim kicks. This could determine the outcome of the match. I think the scrum may favour the defending team, the hooker has to actually hook, which means 7 against 8.

I wait with anticipation.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sat 20 Jun 2015, 3:13 am

Just on another note, all of the NZ backline with the exception of half back and at least one of the forwards played union at school (albeit 1 played for the Australian school boys). At least one kiwi forward also played rugby (Asofa Solomona). I think there's a few union boys in the Aussie team as well (Tepai Maroa was also schoolboy union star). They'd all qualify for this years competition (Solomona could play next year as well).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpXVjGPtm8g

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 20 Jun 2015, 9:06 am

So only one kiwi forward played rugby at school? The rest took it up in the last few years? Is that normal or is rugby declining in school in New Zealand?

As for favourites, given that New Zealand comfortably beat the team that beat England and are unbeaten, I'd probably have them as favourite. Mind you this is a big and well drilled England side.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 20 Jun 2015, 9:08 am

It's tough to pick a favourite but I'd perhaps side with NZ. England tend to get better through competitions so hopefully we'll take it up a gear.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Sat 20 Jun 2015, 9:33 am

No live tv coverage of Wales v Ireland
No live tv coverage of Wales v Australia

Thanks World rugby. Great job.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 20 Jun 2015, 9:37 am

lostinwales wrote:
ebop wrote:Willie Los'e. He was infamously miffed when Boca Juniors didn't bring their senior side to NZ for an exhibition match. He's enthusiastic, I like him. He is a kiwi after all so it's not surprising he focused on NZ. The more articles I read, the more I get the impression (having not seen England U20s play), is that they will maul/scrum the heck out of the junior ABs and no doubt win.

I don't have a problem with it, and he may be right about the final. It's just the 'so and so could be great, and such and such is just fantastic'. then 'Oh yeah the other team, well England improved from their game against France'. Its funny.

Haha, yeah i thought exactly the same. He was asked to comment on two teams, he managed one. But fair enough I suppose.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 20 Jun 2015, 9:56 am

When we've beaten the ABs at this level our packs have been, if not bigger, a lot more powerful/developed. I think that gap has narrowed this year which leads me to believe the ABs are favourites. Our back-line isn't vintage and frankly even if it was I'd expect it to be worse than an average year's intake for the ABs.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat 20 Jun 2015, 10:30 am

Chunky Norwich wrote:No live tv coverage of Wales v Ireland

Joke competition - pathetic

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 20 Jun 2015, 10:43 am

I think it's hard to call. England's loss to France and France's demolition by NZ would suggest NZ, but England had lost a key player and had had to fly out a replacement midweek. Plus, French. And England's performance versus South Africa was much improved against one of the tournament favourites.

So I suspect it's all pretty finely balanced.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Sat 20 Jun 2015, 11:58 am

The Great Aukster wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:No live tv coverage of Wales v Ireland

Joke competition - pathetic

This year has been in terms of off the field. Wales v Japan live. Wales v Aus 5th place - no coverage.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 20 Jun 2015, 12:28 pm

Thet ve got the European games on so understandable.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Sat 20 Jun 2015, 12:38 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Thet ve got the European games on so understandable.

s4c had all of Wales group games. Now their in the 5th place game, they don't have it.

Pretty poor.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 20 Jun 2015, 12:51 pm

Probably just got the rights for the highlights.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 20 Jun 2015, 12:56 pm

Is their coverage of SA vs France? Isn't it usually top 4 that get priority anyway? In the past most of the other games have been available on the red button.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Sat 20 Jun 2015, 3:31 pm

The Saint wrote:Is their coverage of SA vs France? Isn't it usually top 4 that get priority anyway? In the past most of the other games have been available on the red button.

Italy v Samoa (for the 11th place) is live

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 20 Jun 2015, 4:02 pm

Wales 23 - 28 Australia. Sound like they had the beating of us convincingly enough. Wonder if the WRU will address the situation at U20 level or just carry on as normal.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 20 Jun 2015, 7:48 pm

England 10-3 up so far, 15 min gone.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 20 Jun 2015, 7:52 pm

NZ not fancying the maul, great start by England

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 20 Jun 2015, 7:55 pm

Only seen three games, Wales, South Africa and New Zealand. We've had the smaller pack in every one.

Only been impressed by Jennings in one game I've seen him in. Seems very flakey (but not seen a huge amount of him)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sat 20 Jun 2015, 8:00 pm

Awful defence there.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 20 Jun 2015, 8:02 pm

Pretty darn shocking. But then powerful, shorter guys (he seems shorter) can often be difficult to tackle.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 20 Jun 2015, 8:14 pm

Ludlow should have nailed him, poor play from the 6

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sat 20 Jun 2015, 9:08 pm

Very little shape to our attack today. Too often giving it to isolated flat players when it's screaming out for a pass behind them to the next man. Credit to NZ though as they've been a right pain at the breakdown which has contributed to that.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 20 Jun 2015, 9:13 pm

NZ defence has been superb

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 20 Jun 2015, 9:24 pm

Well done New Zealand, did enough to null our attack which was a bit blunt anyway.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next