The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jerry Collins has died in a car crash

+45
BigGee
majesticimperialman
VinceWLB
MarcusHalberstram
Gwlad
SecretFly
funnyExiledScot
profitius
HongKongCherry
Rory_Gallagher
Breadvan
rainbow-warrior
lostinwales
GLove39
rodders
Cyril
Notch
George Carlin
asoreleftshoulder
BamBam
tigertattie
offload
Geordie
TightHEAD
bluestonevedder
LordDowlais
aucklandlaurie
The Saint
Chunky Norwich
nathan
RuggerRadge2611
Pete330v2
hugehandoff
Majestic83
ScarletSpiderman
doctor_grey
RDW
wayne
HammerofThunor
No 7&1/2
Portnoy's Complaint
jammoboss
bedfordwelsh
GavinDragon
maestegmafia
49 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jerry Collins has died in a car crash Empty Jerry Collins has died in a car crash

Post by maestegmafia Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:38 am

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/69152950/Former-All-Black-Jerry-Collins-killed-in-car-accident-in-France-local-media-reports-say

Former All Black Jerry Collins has died in a car crash in France, according to New Zealand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

The All Blacks said on Twitter they are "shocked and saddened" by the news.

The hard-tackling former Ospreys blind-side flanker had been playing for Narbonne in France's second division.

Former All Black Jerry Collins and his wife Alana Madill have died in a car crash in France, according to French newspaper Le Figaro.

The crash took place on a stretch of highway in the Herault department. It is believed two others, understood to be Portuguese, have been injured in the crash involving a bus.

Collins’s three-month-old daughter has been airlifted to hospital in a critical condition.

The 34-year old Collins had most recently been playing for Racing Club Narbonne in the French second division, but played 47 Tests for the All Blacks between 2001 and 2007, as well as 85 matches for the Hurricanes and 47 for Wellington.

Collins is a cousin of former All Blacks captain and Hurricanes teammate Tana Umaga.

Shortly ago the official twitter channel of the All Blacks posted their condolences, with many from the rugby fraternity also sharing their sorrow.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Jerry Collins has died in a car crash Empty Re: Jerry Collins has died in a car crash

Post by GavinDragon Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:20 am

Very sad news - RIP

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Jerry Collins has died in a car crash Empty Re: Jerry Collins has died in a car crash

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:29 am

Terrible terrible news RIP to both and prayers go out to their little girl.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Jerry Collins has died in a car crash Empty Jerry Collins has died in a car crash

Post by jammoboss Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:30 am

Very sad i just hope the child child recovers Sad

Last edited by jammoboss on Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:18 am; edited 2 times in total

jammoboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:37 am

So so sad. Will always remember you Jerry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:41 am

Very sad news for rugby in general and NZ and his family in particular.

Best wishes for his little daughter.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:42 am

Thats horrible, hope the kid's ok.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:42 am

Crazy tragic.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:22 am

Just like to add, tragic, tragic news, my thoughts are with his family RIP all.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:33 am

Devastating news for a young family.

I've sent a tweet from the V2 account expressing our condolences

https://twitter.com/v2rugby/status/606724877282877440

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:42 am

What a player he was. Awful news.

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:43 am

Sad indeed or the Rugby community.
But why does there always have to be a child involved who now have no parents? Always seems to be the case. My heart goes out to her.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:44 am

Very sad new. Fingers crossed for his child.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:56 am

Very tragic news about Jerry and his wife. Thoughts with his young daughter and family and friends.

Very special player on the pitch and was a pretty interesting character of it. 2 stories that spring to mind about him from off the pitch are, when he was with the Hurricanes and playing for the All Blacks he still used to help out as a bin man. Would do the morning and evening bins routes as he felt it helped his cardio & strength training.
The other was after New Zealand got knocked out of the 07 world cup he went on holiday to Devon. He got speaking to one of the local club coaches and asked him if he could get a game at the weekend. Ended up playing for the clubs 2nd team.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:01 am

Merged the two threads together.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:05 am

Awesome player and fierce tackler and a joy to watch except when playing your team. Incredibly sad news and fingers crossed for the daughter.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:26 am

A true legend sadly gone. I'd always admired the man for his hard as nails persona on the pitch yet such a humble man off it. The Story already mentioned about turning out for the club in Devon has always stuck in my head about him. My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family, especially his little one.

R.I.P.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:27 am

Desperately sad news.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:31 am

Awful awful news, when these things happen it sort of puts things into perspective. Such a young family as well.

Lets hope the young kid pulls through.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:32 am

What a sad day. Puts rugby in perspective. One of my favourite all blacks.

Hope the nipper makes it thrugh.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:36 am

Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAEhpxzzR1w

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:37 am

Such a great player he was back in the day, and definitely a crowd favourite in Wales during his stint with the Ospreys. Jerry do you think Wales will beat the All Blacks this year? "Well they say that every year don't they? Smile " Fond memories of the guy! RIP both.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:42 am

Majestic83 wrote:Very tragic news about Jerry and his wife. Thoughts with his young daughter and family and friends.

Very special player on the pitch and was a pretty interesting character of it. 2 stories that spring to mind about him from off the pitch are, when he was with the Hurricanes and playing for the All Blacks he still used to help out as a bin man. Would do the morning and evening bins routes as he felt it helped his cardio & strength training.
The other was after New Zealand got knocked out of the 07 world cup he went on holiday to Devon. He got speaking to one of the local club coaches and asked him if he could get a game at the weekend. Ended up playing for the clubs 2nd team.

Im not sure if we are talking about the same club, but Collins was asked to play for  a club called Barnstaple ( its somewhere in England), Collins told the manager of the club that yes he would play an "unofficial" game for his club, but because of contractual reasons he couldnt play for the top team (at the time he was contracted to the All blacks and the Hurricanes) so Jerry played for the Barnstaple second XV..... Anyway a couple of weeks later Collins was named in the Barbarians team to play South Africa at Twickenham, In accordance with Barbarians tradition, Collins wore the Socks of his club...Barnstaple.

Last edited by aucklandlaurie on Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:44 am

I have very fond memories of watching him play for Ospreys, his arms were bigger than my legs. Laugh

It is such a shame though and my heart goes out ti his daughter. I know exactly what it is like to lose somebody so close to you, but that is another story, Jerry is playing rugby in heaven now, with his wife watching, I just hope their daughter gets all the love and attention she will now miss out from not having her loving parents around.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:47 am

Absolutely tragic news. 

I was lucky enough to meet him a number of times when he was playing for the Ospreys and I was at university. Absolute gentleman and a real character. 

My heart goes out to his young daughter and the rest of his family. 

RIP.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:00 am

Shocked, hope the little one pulls through. so sad.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:20 am

That's a great story about the Barnstaple game. Shows the merit of the guy...

Sad to hear about his and his wifes loss. Hope his daughter pulls through.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:22 am

Very sad news. I met him once and he was a gentleman. Thoughts with his family.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:25 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:That's a great story about the Barnstaple game. Shows the merit of the guy...

I remember the Devon story and how he played well within himself to be sure not to hurt anyone.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:29 am

Great player, great guy!

looked like a pint of guinness, was often seen wandering around supermarkets or emptying bins, proper character!

Thoughts with the family and best wishes for his young daughter
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:30 am

Can only echo everyone else, such desperately sad news to read this morning, RIP Jerry and Alana, and praying for the baby

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:37 am

offload wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:That's a great story about the Barnstaple game. Shows the merit of the guy...

I remember the Devon story and how he played well within himself to be sure not to hurt anyone.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/nov/01/rugbyunion.sport

Great story,you have to respect a guy who would be humble enough to do that just for the laugh.I love the part where the winger is diving for the line and Collins catches him in mid air.The story is probably embellished but he'll be remembered forever by the people who were there that day.

R.I.P.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:40 am

Horrendous news, especially with an infant left behind.

Wonderful guy, a real gent.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:42 am

Shocked to hear this news. Jerry Collins was always known as a gentleman off the pitch, a genuinely good guy. So sad to hear that his daughter has been orphaned. Thoughts are with her.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:55 am

Shocking news. A great player and a great character. The rugby world is poorer for his passing.

RIP and thoughts with his daughter, friends and family.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:01 am

Tragic news. Condolences to his family, especially the young daughter. Very sad.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:05 am

guinness Sad

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:17 am

very very sad and nothing much more to add. Only saw him the once when I had to slam on the brakes as he sprinted across the road in front of me in Mumbles once

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:24 am

Just back from the Hurricanes vs Highlanders game here in Napier, a very strange atmosphere. A cracking win for the 'Canes every point scored for Jerry. Many shocked faces and no real celebration after the game either. RIP Hitman.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:27 am

Great shame. Only spent 2 yrs at the Ospreys but became one of the regions all time cult heroes. He accidentally dropped a pint over my bro in law one day. Apologised and bought him two back. Great bloke RIP guinness
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:29 am

Awful news, absolutely awful. He was one of my favourite players when I first got into rugby.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:52 am

What can I say that hasn't been said. Truly awful news and my prayers and thoughts are with his daughter and his family. Legend is an overused word in sport, but it perfectly describes him. His wearing of the Barnstaple socks to the Barbarians game is one of my favourite rugby moments. RIP
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:57 am

Breadvan wrote:Great shame. Only spent 2 yrs at the Ospreys but became one of the regions all time cult heroes. He accidentally dropped a pint over my bro in law one day. Apologised and bought him two back. Great bloke RIP guinness

I bet your bro in law didn't make a big deal about it..!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:25 am

RIP JC.

Certainly one of the great characters of rugby.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:50 am

Horrible news. One of the toughest competitors I've witnessed on the rugby field - an absolute bull.

Hope the wee girl pulls through.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:50 am

Poor fella. Poor wife. Poor child that must now live with the consequences.

The shock of so sudden a death always makes you realise that nobody knows when the show is over. So get busy living or get busy dying. The shame is that you forget the maxim a few days later and begin worrying again about little needless things in the big scheme of things.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:56 am

Terrible news about Collins, his wife and his daughter. Thoughts are with is daughter. Hopefully she pulls through to full health.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:39 am

I hope right now he is putting St Peter on his ass.

Beyond tragic. And a reminder to everyone, if your car breaks down, get the hell out of it.

RIP big man.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:31 am

Genuinely saddened by this news - especially since it invoked his family too. The guy was a true legend of the game. Tragic.

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:01 pm

Saddened by this news. RIP

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next