The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Halle/Queens and Pre-Wimbledon Thread

+25
ListenUp
hawkeye
It Must Be Love
laverfan
biugo
JuliusHMarx
Haddie-nuff
Guest82
CaledonianCraig
Mad for Chelsea
bogbrush
Johnyjeep
Matchpoint
kingraf
Belovedluckyboy
banbrotam
summerblues
slashermcguirk
sirfredperry
YvonneT
temporary21
lags72
Henman Bill
Born Slippy
LuvSports!
29 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Halle/Queens and Pre-Wimbledon Thread - Page 3 Empty Halle/Queens and Pre-Wimbledon Thread

Post by Guest Mon 15 Jun 2015, 5:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

Feel free to discuss all matters relating to the tournaments.

If you have Sky you are in for a treat Very Happy like me!

Back to top Go down

Halle/Queens and Pre-Wimbledon Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Halle/Queens and Pre-Wimbledon Thread

Post by Guest Wed 17 Jun 2015, 3:46 pm

It’s like handbags at dawn!!

Go and have a cuppa you lot! coffee

Back to top Go down

Halle/Queens and Pre-Wimbledon Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Halle/Queens and Pre-Wimbledon Thread

Post by kingraf Wed 17 Jun 2015, 3:51 pm

So how's the actual tennis going?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Jun 2015, 3:53 pm

Good question raf. I set this thread up in the hope of updates and nothing! Zip! Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 17 Jun 2015, 3:57 pm

Wawrinka before Norman had career earnings of $6 million. Wawrinka after Norman has career earnings of $11.2 million.

I hope Norman has a Robert Downey Jr type clause in his contract that pegs his pay to that of his tennis player's. I imagine the pay from a player who earned $6m over a decade is a little different from one average about $4m a season.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 3:59 pm

Well Anderson is a minibreak up in the 2nd set teabeak with the first set on the bag against stanimal.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 4:00 pm

Got a feeling Magnus is being given a little "bonus pay" for his efforts with stan. More than that its an investment, after his time with Stan is done hes gonna be the most sought after tennis coach in the world

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 17 Jun 2015, 4:04 pm

Stan saves three match points! Wonder if Stan has reached the point where he can command appearance fees? Losing money if you're a top gun merely appearing in Queen's.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 17 Jun 2015, 4:05 pm

Fourth MP saved. Set point
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 17 Jun 2015, 4:06 pm

Set point saved. Ace, fifth match point. Saved. 9-9
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 4:09 pm

How did Stan miss that?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 17 Jun 2015, 4:09 pm

Wawrinka misses a sitter on his third set point.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 17 Jun 2015, 4:13 pm

clap Anderson .well well  didn't see that coming Shocked

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 17 Jun 2015, 4:15 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Good question raf. I set this thread up in the hope of updates and nothing! Zip! Sad

Awwww such a shame.. we haven't all got Sky you see Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Wed 17 Jun 2015, 4:16 pm

CC, I said he'll do better on grass and on the HCs, but did i say everything will be alright??? I doubt I ever said that!!

He did a stem cell treatment on his back besides the appendix surgery, so its not just a minor surgery. Now I didnt say he'll be back to his dominant self like before, again when did I ever say that?

The signs were there last year during the clay season, that he's no longer dominant on clay, so I dont understand why you people kept harping the same tune over and over again about him not going to get back to his best, when all or almost all of us already knew or accepted that.

Rafa knows where his game is at and he's trying to get back to his 'normal' self, he doesnt need us to tell him where he is at.

I said he should be getting better on grass and HCs, not surprising, because:

1) he cant be doing any worse than how poorly he played at Barcelona, or that Madrid final, or that Rome match where he was 6-2 in a tiebreak but managed to lose it!

2) he did play better at FO though not winning it, losing to Novak and not any other player:

3) he did improve his game, especially his serve on grass and played well enough to win at Stuttgart despite some hiccups;

4) he wasnt playing badly at Queen's, serving well but happened to meet a tough opponent and lost a tight match.

He obviously has lost some of his speed and power and that will make it even more difficult for him to win on grass, so I'm not hopeful that he'll win Wimbledon; however he has improved his serve and his volleying so he may reach a further round at Wimbledon this time though not winning.

As for the HCs, we shall see. The HCs are not as quick and not as low bouncing as grass surface so if he keeps improving he may do even better on HCs. Like I said, he may not win a slam this year, but can he win one before he calls it quit? If people are still hopeful that Fed at 33/34 could still win a slam, then who is to say for sure that Rafa couldnt win one when the draw is kind enough for him?

Rafa will at least play till end of 2016, for he wishes and wants to play at the Olympics next year, so, he'll keep trying and keeps working hard in order to get there (the Olympics).

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 4:23 pm

Whats the point in worrying though? Its a shame because I want to see him in the later stages of slams, up against Murray and Roger, but hes not in good enough touch this year... in al probability.

Hell come back, or he wont, end of the day well just wait and see.

After all most people just want to see him playing well, win or lose

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Wed 17 Jun 2015, 4:28 pm

So Stan also lost his match, against big serving Anderson. Maybe Gasquet will lose his too to big serving Raonic.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Jun 2015, 5:09 pm

Watching Gulbis trying to hit a FH is a depressing sight!

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 5:13 pm

Gulbis is still in the tournament? Does that mean he won at least 1 match?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Jun 2015, 5:14 pm

Apparently.

His FH is gash. My nan could hit a better one with a frying pan!

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 5:38 pm

And yet ....and yet ......he was world no. 10 exactly twelve months ago .....

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 5:43 pm

....with Federer now serving to stay in 2nd set

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Jun 2015, 5:49 pm

Gulbis DFs on BP picard

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 5:52 pm

Fed through in straights.

Was only following livescores, so have no idea how well - or poorly - he is playing.....

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 5:59 pm

Only got to watch one game. Little irritated but hitting in fine enough. Gulbis's forehand looked even WORSE than the last time i saw it

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 6:15 pm

Overall - and I stress, overall - the Federer BP conversion ratio in recent times has been so woeful (relative to his halcyon days) that I just sense his chances of exiting any particular tourney early, even when facing lowly opposition, are almost matched by his potential to go deep.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 6:25 pm

Well, thought it only fair to allow a few days to clear the teething troubles with 'new-look' ATP website but sadly it remains a navigational mess in so many respects.

If this is the best you can do ATP, bring back the old one please asap.

Not sure who it was trialled with (if at all ??) but I very much doubt there were any tennis fans involved .....

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 6:32 pm

Re my previous ...... have just clicked on a headline 'Federer defeats Gulbis to reach QF's in Halle' (expecting to read some sort of match report) and this is the sum total of what comes up ..... picard

NEWS Latest On Court Off Court Story of the Season ATP Heritage ATP Awards SHOW FILTERS
YEAR
CATEGORY
SUBCATEGORY

TOURNAMENT
GO
$name
JAN

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Jun 2015, 6:44 pm

You didn't miss much lags. Routine really for Federer. A couple of blips, nothing majorly wrong.

As for Gulbis. His game is right in the crapper!

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 6:48 pm

Ok, thanks lk.

I'll have a break from tennis now (well until more Queens tomorrow, anyway....)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Jun 2015, 6:52 pm

Well next week will be a tad quieter with Nottingham and Eastbourne. Not sure many of the big guns will go for it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Jun 2015, 2:01 pm

I see Muller puts out Dimitrov in straights!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Jun 2015, 2:06 pm

Got to like Andy's chances of a record-equalling 4th title. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 18 Jun 2015, 2:09 pm

Dimi losing again, such a disappointment he has been this year. I do not see him challenging at Wimbledon at all - even though he has a good game for it.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 18 Jun 2015, 2:19 pm

Murray breaks right away.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Jun 2015, 2:26 pm

summerblues wrote:Dimi losing again, such a disappointment he has been this year.  I do not see him challenging at Wimbledon at all - even though he has a good game for it.

It's quite alarming how he has declined this year. 18 victories on tour. 50 last year. Be amazed if he gets near that.

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 18 Jun 2015, 2:37 pm

Wow, Murray broken back against the flow of play.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 18 Jun 2015, 2:57 pm

Andy breaks to take the first set.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 18 Jun 2015, 2:57 pm

It was 7:5 but felt more comfortable than that.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 18 Jun 2015, 2:59 pm

good returning from Murray against some pretty heavy serving from the Spaniard. Verdasco made 7 from 8 first serves in that game but still got broken. Given the high proportion of big servers left in the draw that could be important.

Decent set from Murray apart from a poor few points to get broken back.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Jun 2015, 3:47 pm

Murray through in straights. Forehando with 10 DF's!! Must've contracted Ferrerism.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 18 Jun 2015, 3:54 pm

With no Rafa, no Stan and no Dimi left, Andy should win this thing. Won in 09, 11 and 13 so it seems as if it's his turn again.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 18 Jun 2015, 4:25 pm

Maybe Deliciano will push Andy hard - assuming he can get past Isner.....?

He was just edged by Dimitrov last year in a very tight three-setter Final, after taking the first. All went to TB's.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Jun 2015, 5:52 pm

I know Isner/Looez isn't many posters cup of tea, but I have to say the tour misses tennis matches that are decided by 2-3 crucial points. They are trying so hard not to play with a heavy touch around the net. Fantastic.

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 18 Jun 2015, 6:07 pm

Agreed lk.

There's been a lot more quality than people might expect.

Would not have been disappointed if I had paid money for a seat to watch this one.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 18 Jun 2015, 6:13 pm

Lopez got into the top 15 without a topspin backhand. Impressive.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Jun 2015, 6:18 pm

lags72 wrote:Agreed lk.

There's been a lot more quality than people might expect.

Would not have been disappointed if I had paid money for a seat to watch this one.

I wouldn't mind a seat for this one. Quality serving. Some fantastic returns. Seriously good net play. A thinking man's game Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 18 Jun 2015, 6:23 pm

LuvSports! wrote:Lopez got into the top 15 without a topspin backhand. Impressive.

And the second oldest member of the current Top 20 - just a few weeks younger than OAP Fed.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 18 Jun 2015, 6:25 pm

Looking like Isner's match to lose now ......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Jun 2015, 6:27 pm

That was a nice little match. Who says TBs are dead?

I prefer a quick painless death than a drawn out die on the baseline kind.

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 18 Jun 2015, 6:28 pm

Lopez looked thoroughly hacked off at the handshake. Understandably so, given his efforts after losing the first set

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next