The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TV / Advertising and comprimisation of the game

3 posters

Go down

TV / Advertising and comprimisation of the game Empty TV / Advertising and comprimisation of the game

Post by Fanster Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:08 am

Having recently been watching super rugby (Online, shhh don't tell anyone), and reading the 'Crusaders v Saracens cancelled' thread, I was considering where TV coverage would be in 10 years.

Will we be in a sport and sport related detail focused place, where stoppages in play will be a chance to cover previous issues, watch replays, and highlight key component of the game, or will we be in the opposing end of the scale where every break in play will be a chance to pop up a quick Coca cola commercial?

http://www.rugbyonslaught.com/2015/06/this-milner-skudders-offload-to-juilan.html

This link is not to highlight an agenda, I don't think this advert effected my experience much at all, but is it a step in the direction of Americanisation of sport where the Advertisers get more and more exposure in game?

Could this possibly lead to a scenario where kickers get 3 mins per kick, 2 mins forced recovery (Ad break) and 60 seconds to kick? Or TMO decisions get a 2 minute mandatory consultation time, brought to you by Samsung?

I know I may be a fair way off, but the likelyhood that as in todays game it has now been proved money dominates club Rugby, is it that far fetched to beleive that profit merhants would consider selling the in game rights to Advertisers?

Fanster

Back to top Go down

TV / Advertising and comprimisation of the game Empty Re: TV / Advertising and comprimisation of the game

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:21 am

Most likely with regards advertising, when the replay comes up it the transition will be one of those 3D box things with Coca-Cola Replay on it, or when transitioning between views on the video ref you will see Samsung TMO Decision etc. That way it does not impede on the game, yet the advertisement folk manage to get their product and brand on the screen pretty often.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

TV / Advertising and comprimisation of the game Empty Re: TV / Advertising and comprimisation of the game

Post by doctor_grey Wed 17 Jun 2015, 11:28 pm

I think the question about where Rugby and tv will be in 10 years is very much wrapped up in where Rugby will be in 10 years. TV money fuels pro sport. So more adverts are coming. How much and when is the question. In your clip, which is from South Africa, the SA broadcaster Supersport have done this off and on for years. Not a new development.

I agree with you in that I do wonder where this will end up. Rugby looks very good on tv and it should be attractive to broadcasters. If I had to guess, I would suppose a break at 20 minutes and 60 minutes is likely, but not much more than that.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down