The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oscar De La Hoya 50-50 over comeback (Yes Really)

+5
88Chris05
AdamT
ONETWOFOREVER
TRUSSMAN66
Fernando
9 posters

Go down

Oscar De La Hoya 50-50 over comeback (Yes Really) Empty Oscar De La Hoya 50-50 over comeback (Yes Really)

Post by Fernando Tue 23 Jun 2015, 11:08 am

Oscar De La Hoya says he is ’50-50’ on making a return to the ring at the age of 42 to face Floyd Mayweather or Gennady Golovkin.

De La Hoya, who was the 1992 Olympic champion and won world titles at six different weights, lost a split decision to Mayweather in 2007.

His final bout before retirement was against Manny Pacquiao in 2008 and ended when De La Hoya retired on his stool at the end of the eighth round, a defeat which was his fourth in seven contests.

De La Hoya was inducted into the Hall of Fame last year and says he feels ‘great physically’ after two spells in rehabilitation clinics. He appears to have had a change of heart after suggesting recently that a comeback was not on his agenda.

"I feel amazing," De La Hoya said. "In my life right now, I have so much motivation. I am so hungry and so determined. I am young, I am healthy and I feel great... 42 is the new 32.

"I just feel good and when I walk the streets, everyone tells me, 'You have to fight Floyd again, you have to fight GGG. You can do it, you can do it'.

"I just feel great physically. I've been taking care of myself. I've been doing the Bernard Hopkins lifestyle. You can turn the clock back to a certain time.

"It's got to be worth my while but this is very serious. I have to make sure I am fighting the very best. I don't have to come back for financial reasons or the lights or the glamour.

“The only reason I would come back is because I miss the competition of fighting the very best.

"Would I do it? I don't know but I wake up every morning thinking that I can. I think about Sugar Ray Leonard and Marvin Hagler. If they could do it, why can't I?

“We both come from similar situations. We are both hungry for the competition, we're both ambitious. So you never know. At the same time, I wish time flies by so I don't have to come back."

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Oscar De La Hoya 50-50 over comeback (Yes Really) Empty Re: Oscar De La Hoya 50-50 over comeback (Yes Really)

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 23 Jun 2015, 11:11 am

Time for some "tough love" by one of the family..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Oscar De La Hoya 50-50 over comeback (Yes Really) Empty Re: Oscar De La Hoya 50-50 over comeback (Yes Really)

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 23 Jun 2015, 11:13 am

Those fish nets are cutting supply of oxygen to his brain.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 23 Jun 2015, 11:13 am

He should stay away. He looked awful in his last fight but at least he has the excuse of him trying to make a weight he hadn't seen in years.

Why come back to risk another beating and perhaps lasting damage? He has money and he has a company. He should concentrate on Golden Boy.

Big fan of Oscar and I do not want to see him in a sorry state, like he was against Pacquiao. 42 is not the new 32, that is bullsh1t.

Oscar stay away, you have a good legacy and loads of dosh. Why risk your health.

No chance he beats any elite fighter now. There are fighters out there who wouldn't of laced his boots, that would surley beat on him now.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 23 Jun 2015, 11:16 am

Oscar De La Hoya wrote:I think about Sugar Ray Leonard and Marvin Hagler. If they could do it, why can't I?

I'm guessing Oscar has forgotten about Sugar's comeback fights against Norris and Camacho, then.

Saw this somewhere last week but to be honest I don't read anything in to it. Just Oscar trying to drum up a bit of extra publicity. De la Hoya's a few things, but stupid isn't one of them and I can't believe he really means what he's saying here.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 23 Jun 2015, 11:18 am

He wants to comeback because Boxing has been his life and like a lot of fighters after retirement Hatton and Holy included....It's hard to say goodbye to something that has 1. Given you a purpose in your life.......2. Something you love.......3. Given you the esteem you probably wouldn't have had without it !!...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 23 Jun 2015, 1:06 pm

Fair enough Truss but what has he really to gain?

I hate seeing great fighters come back, to get beat by a guy who wouldn't be fit to share a ring with him at his pomp.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 23 Jun 2015, 1:12 pm

AdamT wrote:Fair enough Truss but what has he really to gain?

I hate seeing great fighters come back, to get beat by a guy who wouldn't be fit to share a ring with him at his pomp.

Bit harsh, Adam. Mayweather obviously no match for De La Hoya, but to say he wouldn't have been fit to share the ring with Oscar in his pomp is a bit much.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 23 Jun 2015, 1:14 pm

All joking aside Chris, I would loved to have seen a match up with both guys at the same age.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 23 Jun 2015, 2:09 pm

I reckon De La Hoya could do a job on Cotto, Geale, Kid Chocloate.....

Get your gloves on matey and see what you can do!!

Nahhhhh only playing. But if he knuckles down and really does fancy it and fights at a good weight, he COULD do something. You just never know in boxing. It's full of surprises.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 23 Jun 2015, 3:05 pm

I hope he doesn't. If he does come back and fights GGG he'll be hurt badly. If he fights Mayweather it'll be a spectacle but that's all. it wouldn't be competitive and while I don't think he'll be hurt, he's just not been at that level for a long time enough for me to think its a good idea.

Let sleeping dogs lie Oscar.

Last edited by JabMachineMK2 on Tue 23 Jun 2015, 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 23 Jun 2015, 3:06 pm

He collapsed after 6 rounds against Mayweather in 2007...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_London Wed 24 Jun 2015, 1:12 pm

Fernando wrote:Oscar De La Hoya says he is ’50-50’ on making a return to the ring at the age of 42 to face Floyd Mayweather or Gennady Golovkin.

De La Hoya, who was the 1992 Olympic champion and won world titles at six different weights, lost a split decision to Mayweather in 2007.

His final bout before retirement was against Manny Pacquiao in 2008 and ended when De La Hoya retired on his stool at the end of the eighth round, a defeat which was his fourth in seven contests.

De La Hoya was inducted into the Hall of Fame last year and says he feels ‘great physically’ after two spells in rehabilitation clinics. He appears to have had a change of heart after suggesting recently that a comeback was not on his agenda.

"I feel amazing," De La Hoya said. "In my life right now, I have so much motivation. I am so hungry and so determined. I am young, I am healthy and I feel great... 42 is the new 32.

"I just feel good and when I walk the streets, everyone tells me, 'You have to fight Floyd again, you have to fight GGG. You can do it, you can do it'.

"I just feel great physically. I've been taking care of myself. I've been doing the Bernard Hopkins lifestyle. You can turn the clock back to a certain time.

"It's got to be worth my while but this is very serious. I have to make sure I am fighting the very best. I don't have to come back for financial reasons or the lights or the glamour.

“The only reason I would come back is because I miss the competition of fighting the very best.

"Would I do it? I don't know but I wake up every morning thinking that I can. I think about Sugar Ray Leonard and Marvin Hagler. If they could do it, why can't I?

“We both come from similar situations. We are both hungry for the competition, we're both ambitious. So you never know. At the same time, I wish time flies by so I don't have to come back."

Must be a joke, can't see it happening. Nothing to gain, and everything to lose, by fighting again. Oscar should stick to his business ventures and wearing women's clothing.

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down