The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is nadal suffering from a crisis of confidence?

+6
custart
Solerina
kemet
Tenez
bogbrush
socal1976
10 posters

Go down

Is nadal suffering from a crisis of confidence? Empty Is nadal suffering from a crisis of confidence?

Post by socal1976 Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:18 am

The 24-year-old Spaniard, who has cut a world-weary figure both on and off the court, is a champion under pressure, saying he sometimes feels as if he's been on tour for "100 years".

World No 2 Novak Djokovic, on a staggering 43-match unbeaten run, is tipped to take the Spaniard's Paris title, as well as the No 1 ranking, after picking up the Australian Open and six other titles this year.

Two of those were Nadal's Madrid and Rome Masters claycourt crowns in the run-up to Roland Garros.

"I am not playing enough well to win this tournament," said Nadal, who needs one more French Open to equal Bjorn Borg's record of six. "You have to be realistic. But I have won here five times already. I don't have an obligation to win six."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/weary-rafael-nadal-says-hes-not-worthy/story-e6frg7mf-1226066783412

In my mind as well as Novak is playing and roger for the most part in this French open, how is it that the 5 time champion seems to be making statements like this. I know Rafa is a very humble person and sometimes some of his quotes get lost in translation. But these types of quotes, regardless of the translation seem so negative and so lacking in confidence. Is nadal being realistic or fatalistic? Are these the type of things you want to be saying in public? It seems that instead of trying to dispel this belief that he is beatable in this tournament he is reinforcing that belief in his opposition. This is not the time to go into a spiral of self doubt Rafa, you have lost 5 matches this whole year and played in 6 finals.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Is nadal suffering from a crisis of confidence? Empty Re: Is nadal suffering from a crisis of confidence?

Post by bogbrush Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:34 am

Partly it's taking the pressure off him (and putting it onto his rivals), and partly it's genuine concern.

Tomorrow will be fascinating; Soderling isn't playing well this year but he'll be up for this - his ranking will collapse if he loses.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Is nadal suffering from a crisis of confidence? Empty Re: Is nadal suffering from a crisis of confidence?

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:59 am

I have already been asked my mods here to refrain on my posts regarding Nadal.

But as BB says, this is another case of easing the pressure. That's he amn who stayed 3 years at number 2 and loved that position better than being on top of the world.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:52 pm

Well if it is a strategy to psyche out his opponents i don't think it is effective. If anything this negative vibe in the media will get picked up by opposing camps and in my opinion only gives confidence to your rivals. This is one of the reasons that I think Soderling will beat nadal today. He looks to me to be going through some self doubt at precisely the wrong time.

Tenez, I think the mods just want you to stay on topic and not turn every discussion into a Nadal discussion. This discussion is on Nadal so I don't think they would mind your commentary at least if it has some basis in reality.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:47 am

Well, judging by today's performance, I think that Rafa has resolved his mental issues.

Wink

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:50 am

kemet wrote:Well, judging by today's performance, I think that Rafa has resolved his mental issues.

Wink

Yes kemet.....I've just said on another thread that I'm predicting a Murray v Nadal final

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by custart Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:52 am

straight sets against Soderling is a great result. Must be gaining confidence now!

custart

Back to top Go down

Post by tennisluvver Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:52 am

Solerina wrote:
kemet wrote:Well, judging by today's performance, I think that Rafa has resolved his mental issues.

Wink

Yes kemet.....I've just said on another thread that I'm predicting a Murray v Nadal final

Solerina

Actually, Solerina, Rafa wil play Andy in the Semi!
tennisluvver
tennisluvver

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:53 am

Wink

Totally agree he certainly took it to Soderling from the beginning of the match... some real vintage Rafa in that match... I hope he has resolved his issues and we see more of the old Rafa

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:40 pm

I agree Rafa looked brilliant never let Soderling get into the match.He kept great depth on his shots and didn't let Robin step into the court and dictate play. Wonderful to see him play well again.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:39 pm

tennisluvver wrote:
Solerina wrote:

Wink

Solerina

Actually, Solerina, Rafa wil play Andy in the Semi!

Thanks tennisluvver.....I must try and keep up!

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:56 pm

Yes he's been having a crisis of confidence.
But we have to remember the stellar 2010 he had plus he's also maturing into his 20s and seeing the world from a different viewpoint as he becomes his own man and not the protege of Tony any more. All players go through this period of reflection but the test is how they come through. I suspect Nadal will bounce back by improving his game further and not being obsessed by winning every clay court event he enters. At some point its more about the slam count and nothing else, as Federer has focused on for some time now. The history books dont reflect on the smaller ATP events won, just the slam count (which I dont personally agree with as the only measure of greatness).
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:24 pm

Looking forward to a Murray-Nadal SF. Murray's improvement makes me think he will provide better competition for Nadal than Soderling did. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:41 pm

Lydian, I am not writing Rafa off that would be silly and foolish. My point is that his confidence has been dented. Although judging from the last match he seems to have worked somethings out for himself and has found the juice he needs to get him through to winning this slam again for the sixth time. Can't wait to see what will happen the rest of RG. I think Nadal does need to have to work on having a plan B and plan C when his typical strategy is not paying dividends, he needs to learn other ways to win as Novak has seemingly found a way to deal with plan A.

Laverfan, hopefully murray's ankle injury isn't too severe, I think he can give Nadal a real fight. He has the variety, the backhand and the skill set to give Rafa problems.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:54 pm

laverfan wrote:Looking forward to a Murray-Nadal SF. Murray's improvement makes me think he will provide better competition for Nadal than Soderling did. Wink

It's Nadal's improvement you should be worried about!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down